The Shield complete series boxset?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Shield complete series boxset?

Old 11-04-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Yeah, forget this set. I hate when they do stuff like this. Its like they dont realize that stiff cardboard will scratch discs.
It's not the cardboard - and while rubbing against the paper does cause hairline scratches, those don't really hurt the disc. The problem here is all the glue that was still inside the sleeves when they put in the discs, sticking the discs to the paper and causing the real damage.

Anyways, stupid Best Buy wouldn't give me a refund (it's against policy on opened DVDs), so what they did was let me open every copy they had (there were 5), and they let me comb through them and pick out the best discs out of the 6 sets. Pretty much every set was fucked to some degree, but being able to mix and match the discs in the best condition out of the 6 I was able to put together a mostly workable set, though still not perfect, as even some of the discs in the best condition had glue/paper stuck to them, just not as bad as the others.

On the plus-side, they're going to be returning 5 of those bad boys back to Sony.
Old 11-04-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news for you folks with scratched/messed up discs....Sony will replace any flawed discs you find in your Shield sets for free...story here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Shi...e-Series/12914

Just call their customer service line at 877-SONY-4YOU or email them at [email protected] and tell them your problems....
Old 11-04-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool - that's good of them to step up and do something about it.

And it sorta confirms my theory of this being a fairly wide-spread problem with this set.
Old 11-04-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will studios realize that this crappy "sleeve" method of packaging is costing them money?
Old 11-04-09, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
Good news for you folks with scratched/messed up discs....Sony will replace any flawed discs you find in your Shield sets for free...story here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Shi...e-Series/12914

Just call their customer service line at 877-SONY-4YOU or email them at [email protected] and tell them your problems....
And what are they going to do about the packaging? Are they going to change their stupid shit to normal slim cases? Will these studios ever learn!?

Walmart had the tags out for the individual seasons at $20 each the other night. I think I'll definitely have to go pick up the first 5 sometime. I want the widescreen releases. I have to wonder why Amazon or someone isn't matching these prices yet. Even the DD25% later this month won't get them that low.
Old 11-05-09, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had to get it at Best Buy since they had it for only $110 - that's only about $15 a season, not to mention an extra disc. But yeah, while the book is nice and well designed, they need to figure out a way for it to hold discs without damaging them.
Old 11-07-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just sent an email. Turns out that 18 of the 28 discs have either a spec or 2 of sticker residue or a scratch that will probably hurt playback.
Old 11-09-09, 09:40 PM
Banned

Goddamn Sony! Would it have killed them to add a Play All option to the menus of their rereleases of the first few seasons!? They changed to widescreen, but they copied Fox's original, lacking menus.

Last edited by Viper187; 11-09-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

looks like i'm gonna try to return it to best buy and try another set. Sony wants me to send all the bad discs back, and that i'll get replacements within 4-6 weeks, fuck that. free of charge my ass. To send 18 discs back would prob cost like 15 bucks to ship back to them
Old 11-09-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They sent me a Fed.Ex. RMA printout thingy that's charged to them when it's scanned and shipped - they want me to send them the entire set, because it's not just the discs that are bad but the packaging itself.
Old 11-10-09, 08:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
looks like i'm gonna try to return it to best buy and try another set. Sony wants me to send all the bad discs back, and that i'll get replacements within 4-6 weeks, fuck that. free of charge my ass. To send 18 discs back would prob cost like 15 bucks to ship back to them
Mailing 18 discs back shouldn't cost more than $2.

You obviously don't use individual cases, just bundle them all together and wrap tightly, place in envelope, and use media mail.
Old 11-10-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i actually had a pleasent expierence w/BB customer service. Ended up going through both sets they had, and both had the sticker issue, so i got my money back. Then went to Walmart (thanks to the posters here), and picked up season 2, and 4-6, as they didn't have season 3 or season 7. I actually already have season 1, and was going to sell it off, but now i'm keepin it. I'll go to another walmart to see if they have season's 3 and 7.
Old 11-10-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
i actually had a pleasent expierence w/BB customer service. Ended up going through both sets they had, and both had the sticker issue, so i got my money back.
Weird. They told me that it was policy that they couldn't refund my money on opened DVDs, even after going through every set they had, which were all damaged.
Old 11-11-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

guess I got lucky. And yes, keepcases kick ass.

I noticed the one episode i watched on the big set, they didn't have the "previously on" part. I wonder if they're on the regular sony sets? Also noticed that the disc artwork is different as well.
Old 11-12-09, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Weird. They told me that it was policy that they couldn't refund my money on opened DVDs, even after going through every set they had, which were all damaged.
Well I figured I would try buying a set since it was on sale Saturday at Best Buy. I went home and opened it and found that almost every disc was either scratched to hell or had glue on it. I went back and swapped it for another set. The second was actually worse. They didn't have anymore left in stock so they got one from a nearby store shipped to mine. I went today to pick it up. I opened it up and while this set didn't appear to have little to no glue on it, it was still scratched pretty bad especially the discs at the beginning of the set. I asked to speak to the manager and I got the same guy who was there Saturday when I opened the set up in the store. To my surprise when I asked for my money back he didn't back an eye and gave it back. I also think it helped that he has seen me in the store on numerous occasions making purchases and I have never given the store's employees any problems in the past.

Looks like I'll just be picking these up individually at Wal*Mart. I'd rather pay more for a better quality product. Sony really should just recall these things already.
Old 11-13-09, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think its 20 bucks a season at walmart till the end of nov. All i need now is season3, and i'll be complete
Old 11-13-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has there been any news of Sony fixing this issue and sending out a new batch of "The Shield" box sets?
Old 11-13-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They told me it would take about a month or so to send me the corrected replacement set. Not sure how long it would take for those to start showing up in stores though.
Old 11-14-09, 12:27 AM

I noticed amazon isn't selling the complete series set right now. Could this have something to do with all the damaged discs?
Old 11-14-09, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by ASAPadam View Post
I noticed amazon isn't selling the complete series set right now. Could this have something to do with all the damaged discs?
or it could be they are sold out on them. Im glad I didnt get the set yet, I'll wait for a deal next year.
Old 11-14-09, 01:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm sorry but that's why you should purchase things with a good Credit Card. If I have any problems I make a claim to the CC company and I've never been denied anything.
Old 12-05-09, 10:02 PM

Hey guys, sorry if it's a dumb question, I searched and couldn't find anything. What's the difference between the normal boxed set (with a picture of Michael Chiklis on the cover) and the Deluxe Edition (with the badge on the cover)? Which is more expensive? Please let me know asap as I think I mayhave messed up.

Thanks for your help

Danny
Old 12-05-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the badge box set is R2, while Chiklis is R1.
Old 12-06-09, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
I think the badge box set is R2, while Chiklis is R1.
Thanks for the help, I bought it off of ebay and the auction had a picture of the box with Chiklis on it and it said region 1, he shipped me the wrong one. Good thing I didn't open it. I sent him a message to send me the return shipping and then I'll ship it back.
Old 12-06-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I really want this, but I own all 7 seasons individually....I knew I should have just waited for the inevitable box set

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.