DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Shield complete series boxset?

Old 11-29-08, 06:55 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,474
The Shield complete series boxset?

Does anyone know if there's plans to release a complete series set for the shield? Will it be released when the seventh season dvd comes out?
mhg83 is offline  
Old 11-29-08, 10:02 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
MTRodaba2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 2,576
Nothing's been announced.

Personally, I think a Complete Series set is very likely. But just watch it end up with all widescreen transfers of the show.
MTRodaba2468 is offline  
Old 11-29-08, 10:24 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 360
The final episode is just happening, so I imagine they will release the entire season individually and then later on drop the entire series. Never seen the show, but just got my wife to get em Seasons 1 - 6 from Amazon for me for XMas.
DiedLaughing is offline  
Old 11-29-08, 11:29 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 54
I would guess that there will be a complete box set after the seventh season release. I don't think it will be anything special though. The individual sets are put together pretty well with deleted scenes, making of material, and commentaries.
jus10 is offline  
Old 11-30-08, 03:11 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229
I will be the first in line to pick this up when it does come out. Even though we already own 2 copies of most of the seasons.
DVDsAreMyLIFE is offline  
Old 12-01-08, 10:46 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,367
If they do, they better release it in 4:3 ratio, as the last season and the re-releases of the previous seasons from Sony have been in a fubared 16:9, which is not how the show's creator intended.
slop101 is offline  
Old 12-02-08, 10:33 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Parks Unknown
Posts: 311
I would probably pick this up at a discount price. Just got around to watching the last couple of episodes...they were amazing. It was a great and satisfying ending to a great show.
Vendetta-AKK is offline  
Old 12-02-08, 11:18 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,139
I'm sure we'll see it eventually -- and when we do, I'll probably pick it up.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 07-28-09, 09:53 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,088
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Bumping, but dont get too excited yet. But browsing around the net, look what was released last month in R2:



For the first time, every episode of this multi-award-winning series will also be available to buy in one deluxe DVD collection when The Shield: Complete Seasons 1-7 Box Set is released on 8 June, 2009. This essential collector's item boasts a wealth of exclusive and unmissable extras, including a never-before-seen disc containing two featurettes: "Rampart," a documentary on the police scandal that inspired the series, and "The Barn," a final set tour.

DVD Special Features:
· Widescreen Presentation
· Audio English 5.1 (Dolby Digital)
· Cast and Crew Commentary on Each Episode
· 51 Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by creator Shawn Ryan
· Featurette: Nobody Expects to Lose, Nobody Expects to Die: The Shield's Final Season
· Featurette: Last Call: The Final Episode
· Closed Captioned
Hopefully this comes out here soon!
stingermck is offline  
Old 07-28-09, 10:20 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
MTRodaba2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 2,576
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Bumping, but dont get too excited yet. But browsing around the net, look what was released last month in R2:



For the first time, every episode of this multi-award-winning series will also be available to buy in one deluxe DVD collection when The Shield: Complete Seasons 1-7 Box Set is released on 8 June, 2009. This essential collector's item boasts a wealth of exclusive and unmissable extras, including a never-before-seen disc containing two featurettes: "Rampart," a documentary on the police scandal that inspired the series, and "The Barn," a final set tour.

DVD Special Features:
· Widescreen Presentation
· Audio English 5.1 (Dolby Digital)
· Cast and Crew Commentary on Each Episode
· 51 Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by creator Shawn Ryan
· Featurette: Nobody Expects to Lose, Nobody Expects to Die: The Shield's Final Season
· Featurette: Last Call: The Final Episode
· Closed Captioned
Hopefully this comes out here soon!
Can't say I'm surprised.
MTRodaba2468 is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 03:20 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,672
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

ehhhh. Been keeping up with this series as it was released. The specs listed for the R2 release, dont really make me feel a need to get this set. We will see what the final US specs are.
jjcool is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 01:02 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,218
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

I understand they re-released seasons 1-6 (or 5?) in widescreen sets, but isn't the OAR 4:3? Why did they put them out in widescreen?
DeanoBKN is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 10:10 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,129
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
isn't the OAR 4:3? Why did they put them out in widescreen?
The OAR isn't 4:3 (there's more information in the 16:9 versions) but 4:3 is the way they are meant to be shown. Sony and FX just don't care, because the general public has HDTVs now and they want their programming to fill that big screen up.
Cosmic Bus is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 10:23 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,672
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus View Post
The OAR isn't 4:3 (there's more information in the 16:9 versions) but 4:3 is the way they are meant to be shown. Sony and FX just don't care, because the general public has HDTVs now and they want their programming to fill that big screen up.
So is there now an OAR and IAR (Intended Aspect Ratio) in the lexicon of the movie world? Or was it always there and I didn't know about it?

I always kind of figured the way something was meant to be shown was the OAR. I mean lots of movies are/were filmed open-matte FS, but that doesn't make 4:3 the OAR if they were intended to be matted when shown, right?
Cheato is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 10:35 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,471
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
So is there now an OAR and IAR (Intended Aspect Ratio) in the lexicon of the movie world? Or was it always there and I didn't know about it?

I always kind of figured the way something was meant to be shown was the OAR. I mean lots of movies are/were filmed open-matte FS, but that doesn't make 4:3 the OAR if they were intended to be matted when shown, right?

Yeah, this is what people mean when they say OAR.
bluetoast is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 11:06 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,129
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
I always kind of figured the way something was meant to be shown was the OAR. I mean lots of movies are/were filmed open-matte FS, but that doesn't make 4:3 the OAR if they were intended to be matted when shown, right?
*shrug* Maybe DVD Talk needs to have Shawn Ryan do an interview. They film in 1.78:1, but he has stated that 4:3 is how the show is intended to be viewed.
Cosmic Bus is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 04:58 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,471
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

The sad thing is that Shawn Ryan touted the 16:9 aspect ratio as a selling point in an interview with IGN.
bluetoast is offline  
Old 07-30-09, 07:01 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,672
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus View Post
*shrug* Maybe DVD Talk needs to have Shawn Ryan do an interview. They film in 1.78:1, but he has stated that 4:3 is how the show is intended to be viewed.
So we agree? The OAR is 4:3? The new Sony DVD seasons are not OAR? They're open-matte WS (or at least something close to open-matte)?

I still haven't bought the final two seasons because of this.
I may give in for a box set, though.
Tough call...
Cheato is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 12:07 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,795
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Shield-...e-Series/12533

Just in time for DD's semi-annual sale.

No AR info, though I'm expecting widescreen.
Darknite39 is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 12:35 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,088
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

I like the show more than what the OAR is. All in for the complete set!
stingermck is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 12:51 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,795
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

I'll actually be happy if it's widescreen--only because it will lessen the burn-in on my plasma.
Darknite39 is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 01:51 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,367
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Originally Posted by Darknite39 View Post
I'll actually be happy if it's widescreen--only because it will lessen the burn-in on my plasma.
Don't know how old your plasma is, but (as long as you break them in properly) burn-in is no longer an issue with newer plasmas.
slop101 is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 01:54 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,795
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

It's a year-old dynex (samsung guts, but still cheap-o), and I've actually been watching The Shield this weekend. The lines on the screen go away, but it takes a while.
Darknite39 is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 04:25 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,367
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

That's image-retention, and not burn-in (retention being temporary, and burn-in being permanent). But you still shouldn't be getting much retention. Do you have your contrast setting turned really high?
slop101 is offline  
Old 08-24-09, 04:28 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,795
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Not really. I tweaked the settings, keeping the contrast and brightness on the low end. But I was watching practically a whole season on Saturday, so there was a pretty long exposure time for the TV to "bounce back" from.

Spoiler:
Just watched the finale of season 5. Damnit, this show can really gut you like a fish.

Last edited by Darknite39; 08-24-09 at 05:21 PM.
Darknite39 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.