Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Shield complete series boxset?

Thought this might be relevant to the discussion:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Shield-...e-Series/12589

Confirms my original statement and this now is the set to get for me.
Old 08-31-09, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
I feel it would take the grittiness away if it was on a more advanced format. You are meant to see it on DVD...also, Sony would probably scrub the shit out of it, removing all grain and thus changing the way it was shot.
You're thinking of Universal, Paramount, or New Line. Sony is one studio that, more often than not, does not put out subpar Blu-Ray product or practice in excessive DNR.

What you're describing would be a case to not buy anything on Blu-Ray, not just The Shield. I'm betting Sony's main concern was that the grain would be more pronounced.
Old 09-01-09, 09:05 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
You're thinking of Universal, Paramount, or New Line. Sony is one studio that, more often than not, does not put out subpar Blu-Ray product or practice in excessive DNR.

What you're describing would be a case to not buy anything on Blu-Ray, not just The Shield. I'm betting Sony's main concern was that the grain would be more pronounced.
And that is the problem with the home video market today. A majority of people either don't want grain or don't want those black bars on their TV's.

For the real fans, they get screwed. But it is never going to change and you can't fight city hall. I am bummed, a little, but I can be happy with the DVD set.
Old 09-01-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So this isnt in the OAR, correct?
Old 09-02-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To those of you who are actually buying Sony's silly excuse, I'd suggest you read this article here, which gives a more detailed explanation as to why The Shield could benefit from being released onto Blu-ray Disc:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3343
Old 09-03-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

^ That article completely ignores the fact that The Shield has a very deliberate look with washed-out colors, overexposure and grain that has nothing to do with the Super 16 format
Old 10-21-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how certain consumers think that 'high definition' is synonymous with 'image with no grain'. Having this on Blu-ry wouldn't ruin the look of the show at all.
Old 10-28-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to get this boxset.
Old 10-28-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This looks like a wasted opportunity to me. The individual sets are still availably cheap so it's not likely to appeal to many just on price. Which just leaves people who think they might like the series, but not enough to have already bought it, and who want it all in one set.

I'd jump like a hungry dog on a bowl of Alpo for a complete Blu-Ray set WITH THE CORRECT ASPECT RATIO just so I could get the early seasons with a better transfer and the later seasons not whatever-the-widescreen-equivalent-is-of-pan-and-scan.

Surely there's more profit in hardcore fans double-dipping than there is of offering a box set option to those who haven't bothered to buy it already?
Old 10-28-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by wergo
I'd jump like a hungry dog on a bowl of Alpo for a complete Blu-Ray set WITH THE CORRECT ASPECT RATIO just so I could get the early seasons with a better transfer and the later seasons not whatever-the-widescreen-equivalent-is-of-pan-and-scan.
You can just put black mattes on the sides of you screen and viola, OAR!
Old 10-30-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$109.99 at best buy this week. Thats a fucking steal
Old 10-31-09, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wergo
T
Too bad they couldn't have provided both ratios.
Old 11-01-09, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
$109.99 at best buy this week. Thats a fucking steal
I just got it for $87 shipped from Wherehouse.com (the price may slightly vary due to different state taxes). They've got a 30% off $30 or more sale. That's a fucking steal.
Old 11-01-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I just got it for $87 shipped from Wherehouse.com (the price may slightly vary due to different state taxes). They've got a 30% off $30 or more sale. That's a fucking steal.
Thanks for the heads up! I was just about to put my order through on Amazon.com when I saw this thread was updated.

What a price!
Old 11-02-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dang, with the credit that I forgot I had with them, I could get the set for $75 and change...hmm...
Old 11-03-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

picked it up today at best buy (i had to ask if they had any in, and they didn't even have any out, which for a title that has a sale, and a damn good price, i was surprised). Box set looks very nice. i'll post pics sometime tonight/tomorrow morning
Old 11-03-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, they fucked up, big time.

Every. Single. Disc. Is. FUCKED.

It's not that the paper-board smudges the discs (it does), no, the problem is that the adhesive holding the bottom of the pages together is all inside the sleeves where the discs are stored, and every disc is coated in this adhesive - look on the back of any of the discs and it is speckled in the stuff. And it's not just some glue that you can rub off, this shit is caked on there, won't come off and has pretty much damaged the discs - I tried to play a few and if they load, they become unplayable after a certain point.

At least my set is like this (which I'm returning immediately).

What do your discs look like?
Old 11-03-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Upon further inspection, it seems that what's happening in some of the sleeves is that the disc is getting stuck to the inside paper by the glue residual, and when you take out the disc, it kinda rips the paper (if you look inside some of the sleeves, you'll see the insides torn to a certain extent), and you'll see that paper attached to the bottom of the disc.

How this got past package testing, I have no idea.
Old 11-03-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine's fine. I'm guessing that's just a malfunction with your set.
Old 11-03-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Look again. I have a few discs that appeared okay at first, but the more I went through the discs, the more obvious it was, and the earlier disc that looked okay weren't - I can feel the stuff on some of the discs like it's braille.
Old 11-03-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

looks like my discs are good.
oh and anyone wanting to blind buy, DON'T READ THE EPISODE DISCRIPTIONS AS THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN THERE
Old 11-03-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

on further inspection, some discs (not all, have this sticker shit on them.) only thing is, i gotta play the problem discs to see if there is skipping/freezing issues before i decide to take it back or not

here are pics of the set

Old 11-03-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

after further inspection, i have like 3 or 4 discs with minor white dots (which i assume is the sticker residue) Should i just take it back to best buy and hope to find a better set there, or just say fuck it, and hope they play fully (i tried one out, and from the first episode, it played, but i dunno if all the episodes on that disc will play fully or not.
Old 11-03-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For me, the few I tried to play through that had glue residue, I tried to cue up the episode to the approximate location of the damage, and it would eventually pixelate, freeze then die. I stuck my finger inside the disc hole (yeah, yeah...) and there's some crap in there, so unless I keep the discs elsewhere, they'll just keep getting scratched up more and more, with more residue on them. I'm gonna just ask for a straight refund, as I think this is a full-on design flaw and not an isolated incident.
Old 11-04-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
For me, the few I tried to play through that had glue residue, I tried to cue up the episode to the approximate location of the damage, and it would eventually pixelate, freeze then die. I stuck my finger inside the disc hole (yeah, yeah...) and there's some crap in there, so unless I keep the discs elsewhere, they'll just keep getting scratched up more and more, with more residue on them. I'm gonna just ask for a straight refund, as I think this is a full-on design flaw and not an isolated incident.
Yeah, forget this set. I hate when they do stuff like this. Its like they dont realize that stiff cardboard will scratch discs. You should eb able to get the season sets for cheap, especially now that the series set is out. Ive been able to acquire the season sets for less than $10 a piece.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.