Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

31 Films in 31 Days - Horror Challenge Subset

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 09:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Suspiria

If I had to pick two words to describe it, I guess they'd have to be "atmospheric horror".
Old 10-04-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I was first introduced to Suspiria sometime during the mid/late 90's (It being my first Argento film, as well) Unfortunately, I made the mistake of first watching the movie on one of those 15-inch TV/VCR combos and the "Atmospheric Horror" was definetly lost. Needless to say, I didn't turn out to be a fan of the movie.
But all it took was a DVD, a 53-inch Panny, and 5.1 surround sound to make me realize that I had been missing out one of the most memorable experiences the horror genre has ever provided.

But If I still had a nitpick against the movie, it would be the dubbing/phoned-in line delivery. So yesterday, I decided to watch the movie in French with captions (No english subtitles provided on the BU Disc) and the horror felt as strong as ever. At least Helena's voice sounds more threatening in French!
Old 10-04-08, 12:39 PM

Suspiria

I agree, a visual feast, very weak English dubbing. If my DVD had subtitles, I would have listened to it in Italian.

In fact, it would be fine without any dialogue, just the visuals, sound effects, and great soundtrack.

Late comment, but a great idea on the title thing Darth.
Old 10-04-08, 06:38 PM
TRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Nightmare on Elm Street

Anyone else watch A Nightmare on Elm Street yet? It's been awhile since I've seen it in its entirety. I've also been watching some of the sequels including part 3 which I had never seen before. Spoilers for both movies in the comment below:

Spoiler:
What I always took from the ending of the original film was that it was a cruel fake-out and Freddy won, but then Nancy shows up in the third movie still alive. I guess since we don't actually see anything happen to her we just have to assume she woke up from that nightmare. That just makes it more depressing that she ends up being killed a few years later anyways.

Still I think the original ANOES holds up very well and the ending sort of adds to its mystique.
Old 10-04-08, 06:55 PM

Spoilers don't work on the email notifications, so you're ending analysis just came to me as I'm watching the film.
Old 10-04-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved the first, liked the second, and the third is one of the worst for me. Mainly because it's where it was turning from a horror movie to Freddy's a popular kind of guy. It was trying to be two things at once.

When the fourth movie came out it had completed the change. It wasn't great but it knew what it was.
Old 10-04-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Suspiria

I first saw Suspiria on cable some time in the late '70s. Never been a huge fan, but I like it well enough to own the DVD.

Is there not a trailer for Suspiria that shows the girl (Pat Hingle? I got a chuckle out of that name) falling through the stained glass ceiling? I remember seeing it on cable back when I first saw the movie, but the trailers on the DVD don't show this scene.

I'd forgotten that Udo Kier was in Suspiria (or maybe I just never recognized him before because his voice was dubbed). He's the second actor from Shadow of the Vampire to "pop up" in another film I've watched in the last couple of days. The other one was Willem Dafoe (who had a bit part in The Hunger).

After Suspiria, I watched Phenomena for the first time (don't know how I'd never seen that one before). While it's certainly no classic, I actually like it more than Suspiria.

I skipped Nightmare on Elm Street since I watched it in one of the previous challenges.
Old 10-05-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I was watching the mouths in Suspiria and it seemed to me the actors were mostly speaking English. Almost all Italian films are shot post-sync and I've seen this one >30 times so maybe I'm just used to it. I don't see how watching it in another language would help. The DVD looks great upconverted but I am dying for this on Blu-Ray. I saw it on 35mm in a theater 2 years ago (I've seen it 4 times in a theater), and spent the whole movie watching all the textures, like the flocked red wall paper in the school, that you just don't see on DVD. I've always loved this film. Could be my crush on Jessica Harper, though.
Old 10-05-08, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I was watching the mouths in Suspiria and it seemed to me the actors were mostly speaking English. Almost all Italian films are shot post-sync and I've seen this one >30 times so maybe I'm just used to it. I don't see how watching it in another language would help.
The ending-credits even say that the film was shot in english, but due to the sub-par efforts in making the movie look like it was "Authentic" in english, I perferred to absorb the movie in an alien language (This might tend to help to make the movie more horrific for those who haven't seen the movie 30+times)
Old 10-05-08, 04:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Could be my crush on Jessica Harper, though.
It's certainly not hard to have a crush on Harper, ah Phoenix so wonderful.
Old 10-05-08, 06:04 AM

Suspiria

Originally Posted by poster mayhem
It's certainly not hard to have a crush on Harper, ah Phoenix so wonderful.
She is beautiful. Phoenix?
Old 10-05-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^
A reference to PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE.
Old 10-05-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just post what I put in my list post.

One...Two...Freddy's coming for you. I saw this movie over at a friends house when I was maybe 10 or 12 and it really freaked me out. I remember not being able to sleep at all that night. A true horror classic. As I'm sure many know, it was Johnny Depp's first movie.

I don't really find this movie very scary anymore. I'm not quite sure why, I think it's just because I know what's going to happen.

Did anyone know that they are remaking this in 2010? I'm not sure what I think about that.

Scare Factor (2008): 3.5/10
Scare Factor (1988): 9.5/10
Old 10-05-08, 12:42 PM

I'll have to try watching Suspiria in Italian. Seeing it as many times as I have, I'm sure I can take it (I used to use it as my Demo disc back in my Laserdisc Pro-Logic days). Part of my pleasure is Jessica Harper's voice, though. I even love Shock Treatment almost entirely on her singing. Phantom of the Paradise has the added benefit of Paul Williams lyrics (which are very distinctive).
Old 10-05-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'd forgotten that Udo Kier was in Suspiria (or maybe I just never recognized him before because his voice was dubbed).
It took me ages to finally realize it was him because of that. And i wonder if Argento's ever commented as to why they dubbed his voice with an American one when the film takes place in Germany ...especially considering he's German!
Old 10-05-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the original NOES stands head and shoulders above the sequels. I like the mystery behind the Freddy character in the film. He's not yet the always-wisecracking villain we've grown to know after watching the rest of the series.
Old 10-05-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
It took me ages to finally realize it was him because of that. And i wonder if Argento's ever commented as to why they dubbed his voice with an American one when the film takes place in Germany ...especially considering he's German!
If I recall, they only had him for that day and they always shoot silent and record dialog later.. He wasn't available for the later ADR.
Old 10-05-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bit behind here, as I was away for the weekend. Shadow of the Vampire was great fun, and I thought the fusion of black and white "on set" footage with color was very effective. My only issue was with the pretentious, long winded opening credits. What was the point of all those closeups of cryptic, random images completely unrelated to the film? Suspiria is a mesmerizing experience as long as you don't attempt to get to caught up in the machinations of the plot, as the film makes little sense. Wonderful use of color and that great Goblin score are big pluses. Nightmare was a nifty concept for a horror film, and Freddy had yet to turn into an unholy (and unfunny) fusion of Benny Hill and Milton Berle.
Old 10-06-08, 07:26 AM

Nosferatu / Shadow of the Vampire

I even love the remake since you can tell it was made with such love and reverence for the original.
Originally Posted by clckworang
As caligulathegod said, the remake is also highly recommended.
Originally Posted by NoirFan
The MoC edition of this is just fantastic - the main reason I finally went region-free last year.
Image-wise, yes. But the MoC includes a commentary track and 80 page booklet.
The more I think about Nosferatu, the more I want to get the remake and MoC release. As soon as a good price is found, they'll be in my collection. 80 page booklet!
Orlock is the creepiest vampire ever.
Originally Posted by Drop
Still one of the creepiest shots in the film.
I love the film, especially the more I see it. It is slow but I really enjoy the performances and the images are striking.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
And how she looks to the windows of the house across the street and sees Count Orlock standing at the window. That always gives me chills.
37 movies into this challenge, and Nosferatu is still the only film that actually scared me.
Originally Posted by TRC
BTW for anyone who bought the Iron Man Best Buy exclusive, you have the option of spending your gift card on this.
Thanks for the reminder. Need to peruse that website to see if I want to keep that BB set (with it's $50 sideshow giftcard) or not.
A bit behind here, as I was away for the weekend. Shadow of the Vampire was great fun, and I thought the fusion of black and white "on set" footage with color was very effective. My only issue was with the pretentious, long winded opening credits. What was the point of all those closeups of cryptic, random images completely unrelated to the film?
Catching up on comments myself. I agree that the opening is a bit strange. I listened to the director's commentary, and don't think he commented on why they choose that opening.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-06-08 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 07:37 AM

Suspiria

I don't see how watching it in another language would help.
I think just because the english dub is so bad for the most part, that perhaps a foreign language would be less distracting.
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
^
A reference to PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE.
Thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Miss Harper, I'll seek this one out.
Suspiria is a mesmerizing experience as long as you don't attempt to get to caught up in the machinations of the plot, as the film makes little sense. Wonderful use of color and that great Goblin score are big pluses.
Yep. Usually I don't care much for audio/video, and would just as well watch my films on a tinny sounding 5" black and white or a 60" plasma with DTS sound. But this is definitely one film more appreciated with a good AV set-up.
Old 10-06-08, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by TRC
Still I think the original ANOES holds up very well and the ending sort of adds to its mystique.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I loved the first, liked the second, and the third is one of the worst for me. Mainly because it's where it was turning from a horror movie to Freddy's a popular kind of guy. It was trying to be two things at once.

When the fourth movie came out it had completed the change. It wasn't great but it knew what it was.
Never saw the sequels for the most part, a few minutes here and there on cable, maybe one of the sequels in the theater. They never looked all that impressive to me. Still considering the box set for $23 at amazon right now, but trying to resist.
Originally Posted by Numes
I saw this movie over at a friends house when I was maybe 10 or 12 and it really freaked me out. I remember not being able to sleep at all that night. A true horror classic.

I don't really find this movie very scary anymore. I'm not quite sure why, I think it's just because I know what's going to happen.
Still slightly scary to me, but I know what you mean. There are many films that terrified me as a kid that don't come close to doing so now.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I think the original NOES stands head and shoulders above the sequels. I like the mystery behind the Freddy character in the film. He's not yet the always-wisecracking villain we've grown to know after watching the rest of the series.
Nightmare was a nifty concept for a horror film, and Freddy had yet to turn into an unholy (and unfunny) fusion of Benny Hill and Milton Berle.
Those comments seem to confirm to me to perhaps avoid the boxset. I really enjoy the first film, but the snippets I've seen of the "Benny Hll Freddy" just turn me off.
Old 10-06-08, 07:49 AM

Night of the Living Dead

Somehow pretty much avoided all the Dead films until about a year or two ago, and have now watched the original a few times.

Watched my 30th Anniversary Edition version, and holy crap, what were they thinking making those additions? Awful! I'll have to find a better version, or perhaps just wait for BluRay.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-06-08 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixed error of which edition I have
Old 10-06-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts
Night of the Living Dead

I watched the 1990 version. It was ok, I probably should have made more effort to obtain a copy of the original.
Old 10-06-08, 09:15 AM

Night of the Living Dead

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I probably should have made more effort to obtain a copy of the original.
Youtube, google video, etc

Last edited by Trevor; 10-06-08 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add title
Old 10-06-08, 09:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Somehow pretty much avoided all the Dead films until about a year or two ago, and have now watched the original a few times.

Watched my Millennium Edition version, and holy crap, what were they thinking making those additions? Awful! I'll have to find a better version, or perhaps just wait for BluRay.
The recent 40th anniversary edition put out by Dimension is fantastic and it's loaded with extras that are worthy of the film. I can't imagine the print looking much better than this.

Last edited by poster mayhem; 10-06-08 at 10:19 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.