Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

31 Films in 31 Days - Horror Challenge Subset

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

31 Films in 31 Days - Horror Challenge Subset

Old 10-02-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts
As caligulathegod said, the remake is also highly recommended.
Old 10-02-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
This might actually be the first time that I've seen the restored version. The town-plague scenes didn't seem to ring a bell to me when I watched it this time around. It felt like every other version I've seen cuts to the chase (Literally) when Knock escapes from the asylum. Therefore eliminating all the townspeople scenes.

This is also the first time that I've watched the movie on a widescreen TV. Loved that glorious shot of Nina on the beach.
Old 10-02-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I even love the remake since you can tell it was made with such love and reverence for the original.
The remake is excellent. Only an actor as dedicated and, let's face it, insane as Klaus Kinski could ever hope to fill Max Schreck's sizable shoes. I really like the Popol Vuh score, especially in the film's final scene. A bit of trivia, courtesy of IMDB: 'schreck' is German for 'terror'!
Old 10-02-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I think everyone knows that Nosferatu is available all over the internet for free, but just in case here is a link.
Downloaded and burnt it to DVD-R only to find out that it didn't include a score. I had to sync it up with one on Google Video. Still enjoyed it though, despite the somewhat crappy quality.

Really need to pick up that MoC version.
Old 10-02-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
There never is a big closeup of Orlock's face in this movie, correct? Probably the only thing closest to him getting a fullframe closeup is at the dinner table when he slides the paper down his face, but only stopping at his eyes. Yet, on many DVD/Laserdisc/VHS covers and still galleries of the movie, boom! His face tends to almost take up all the room!

I'm guessing audiences might have been so shocked at the sight of him that Murnau made a decision to keep his looks in the distance.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-02-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm figuring a closeup would reveal it was all grease paint and yak hair. Medium and far shots preserve the illusion and Orlock is the creepiest vampire ever.
Old 10-02-08, 08:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts
Nosferatu

Originally Posted by Chad
Downloaded and burnt it to DVD-R only to find out that it didn't include a score. I had to sync it up with one on Google Video. Still enjoyed it though, despite the somewhat crappy quality.

Really need to pick up that MoC version.
Doh! Sorry. There are like a dozen versions of it on the site I linked to, I should have just linked to the page to give you a choice.

And yes, I need to get at least one of the versions. Sounds like there are at least two releases that do a good job on the transfer and have tons of extras.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-20-08 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add title
Old 10-02-08, 09:06 PM

The region 1 Kino version is fine. The difference between it and the MOC isn't as big as the Metropolis. The nature of changing the speed makes interlacing necessary and you don't see artifacts unless you pause it.
Old 10-02-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
The region 1 Kino version is fine.
Image-wise, yes. But the MoC includes a commentary track and 80 page booklet. All eleven of the silent films that MoC have released are equal to or superior to their Kino counterparts.
Old 10-02-08, 09:30 PM

Does sound cool.
Old 10-03-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 423 Likes on 256 Posts
I watched my Kino version of Nosferatu during the second challenge, so this year I went with an unwatched el-cheapo version I have. There wasn't a soundtrack on that copy, but I usually turn down the crappy music on PD silents anyway, so that was no big deal. Plus, I think it let me concentrate more on the movie itself.

Also, all the character names had been changed to their Dracula names, which was a little odd.

I followed that with Shadow of the Vampire and the 1979 remake (which I hadn't watched with the German soundtrack since I first saw it in the theater back in '79).

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-03-08 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-03-08, 12:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Nosferatu. I respect it for it's achievements and creepy scenes, but for me personally, it doesn't age as well as many silent films, horror or otherwise.

However, I'm glad that it was placed on the list to be watched on the 1st, otherwise I likely would not have rewatched it this year. It deserves to be watched by anyone that considers themselves a cinephile, and I certainly do not mean to say that I believe that it's bad, it's just not a favorite silent work.

Every scene and image of Count Orlak himself is riveting, but I've always felt that pacing wise it is good, until he gets to London (I forget the name of the town they use in Nosferatu). I want an interaction between him and Ellen that isn't just staring across the road or influence in the night, while I do want those as well, but I miss the sexual in person tension that is palpable from the Lugosi version on.

It's still a great film and a must watch, just not one that's ever completely enticed me.
Old 10-03-08, 02:00 AM
TRC

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Also, all the character names had been changed to their Dracula names, which was a little odd.
I also watched a version like that. That kinda annoyed me even though this was only the second time I've ever watched the movie. I should find a better copy before next year.

BTW for anyone who bought the Iron Man Best Buy exclusive, you have the option of spending your gift card on this.
Old 10-03-08, 08:35 AM

Just deleting my post since I was early. Sorry guys

Last edited by wlverinefactor; 10-03-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-03-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Your a bit too early for Suspiria talk, movie talks the next morning after the film. So for instance todays chat would be about Shadow of the Vampire.
Old 10-03-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
There never is a big closeup of Orlock's face in this movie, correct? Probably the only thing closest to him getting a fullframe closeup is at the dinner table when he slides the paper down his face, but only stopping at his eyes.
I believe we get a bit closer when when Hutter looks at him laying in the coffin. It's certainly a closeup, enough anyway to see his front fangs clearly. His is not in full view as the wood is blocking some of it and the angle helps block it out too. Still one of the creepiest shots in the film.

I love the film, especially the more I see it. It is slow but I really enjoy the performances and the images are striking. I much prefer The Cabinent of Dr. Caligari as far as german silent horror films go.

Last edited by Drop; 10-03-08 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-03-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
an idea?

Here's a suggestion... maybe we could all put the name of the movie we are talking about in the "title" section?

You know, where it says "an idea?" in this post.
Old 10-03-08, 12:31 PM

Nosferatu / Shadow of the Vampire

Big thanks to whoever had the idea of watching these two back to back. I had contemplated not going for 100, but just concentrating on the 31, watching them with all the extras, multiple versions if available, just really soaking in the classics. It's too late for that, my OCD has taken over, but if I had stuck to that plan I'd be happy. I could easily watch these two again, or explore the extras, if I didn't have 90 other films to get thru.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but the whole concept of the 2nd film was just amazing. The movie probably could have had horrible acting, directing, lighting, whatever, and I'd still love the frigging movie because the idea is just so darn cool to me.
Old 10-03-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Yeah I didnt think i would dig Shadow, but I actually did. Funny thing is after waching it, I thought about Nosferatu more and went back and edited my rating for it, giving it a higher one. Definite good idea for both to be played back to back nights.
Old 10-03-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

I missed these two movies so I am probably going to watch both back to back tonight.

Question... would it benefit me at all to watch them in reverse?
Old 10-03-08, 02:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The Shadow of the Vampire movie is one of my favorites. I like movies that aren't set in our present day. This one of course being in 1921. It's a very dark movie. What I didn't understand though was how in the movie when the producers found out that Shrek was a real vampire they all just kind of went " ok", we'll just go with the flow. No need to panic that there is an actual vampire on the set killing people and we could be next but it doesn't really matter. There is a great line in the movie that I picked up on when the producer asks Shrek why he had to kill the movie camera man instead of the script girl. Then Shrek said, " Oh yeah, the script girl, I'll eat her later." Great line.
Old 10-03-08, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I missed these two movies so I am probably going to watch both back to back tonight.

I'd definitely do Nosferatu first.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-06-08 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add title
Old 10-03-08, 05:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by JOE29
What I didn't understand though was how in the movie when the producers found out that Shrek was a real vampire they all just kind of went " ok", we'll just go with the flow. No need to panic that there is an actual vampire on the set killing people and we could be next but it doesn't really matter.
If you're referring to the part I think you are I believe the reason the producer and cinematographer didn't react to the director's confession of signing a real vampire to be in the film was because he was high at the time. I thought that perhaps they just thought he was talking nonsense. Even if there are a couple of flaws though, it's a great watch and was a fantastic edition to the list.
Old 10-03-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher

I would strongly agree with Trevor that you really need to watch Nosferatu first to fully appreciate Shadow of the Vampire.
Old 10-03-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 423 Likes on 256 Posts
Shadow of the Vampire

I'd like to thank whoever suggested Shadow of the Vampire for the list. I had rented it back when it first came out on DVD and liked it enough that I later bought a copy (which I've had for almost seven years and hadn't watched until yesterday). Pretty good movie.

"Die you fucking rat bastard... vampire pig!... schwienhund!... shit!"

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-03-08 at 07:21 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.