DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/535255-dark-knight-12-09-08-a.html)

canaryfarmer 12-04-08 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by rmick (Post 9109757)
Is there any chance that this possible encoding problem could result in a recall on the DVD?

Sure! Just like how WB recalled The Departed and Goblet of Fire for their awful transfers.

PJsig08 12-04-08 01:05 PM

For non-BluRay people...is the standard 1 disc the way to go? I read somewhere the 2-disc DVD special features are weak.

I just want to own the movie and don't really care for next week's special edition if it's gonna be weak.

-TRANCE- 12-04-08 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08 (Post 9111260)
For non-BluRay people...is the standard 1 disc the way to go? I read somewhere the 2-disc DVD special features are weak.

I just want to own the movie and don't really care for next week's special edition if it's gonna be weak.

The two disc DVD doesn't seem all that great now especially since we are losing out on some extras that only the Blu-ray version is getting i believe. I plan on just buying the 1-disc version but i was hoping it would have a slipcover and include the theatrical trailer at least. I can't stand how a studio like Warner Bros can release a standard 1 disc DVD and not include a little trailer to go with it.

canaryfarmer 12-04-08 03:23 PM

But they have to maximize the amount of space so the movie looks aweso...oh.

StephenX 12-04-08 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by donniemac (Post 9109699)
does anyone know if the Circuit City alt cover is a slip cover and if so what the cover art on the actual keep case will be? I'm not a fan of slip covers (I always toss them) so I'm hoping this is the art underneath as well. Thanks.

Someone on another forum I visit said it is the regular 2-disc found everywhere EXCEPT for the slipcover. He works at CC, and said the slipcover is oversized because the journal fits underneath it with the movie as well. Basically, you have to keep the journal inside too if you want to keep the slipcover on it.

Thought this might help seeing as how a lot of you are planning on getting this one.

PJsig08 12-04-08 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer (Post 9111590)
But they have to maximize the amount of space so the movie looks aweso...oh.

Is the standard DVD quality that shitty?

I mean I am not some super crazy DVD person. If it looks good to the average Joe, I'll be happy. And maybe it'll look better played on my HD-DVD player?

cranberries fan 12-04-08 10:12 PM

Well to help you out PJsig08 what little in reviews of the QC is not good at all and I am going to skip this release intill Warner Bros fixes the issues with this title.

Kal Varnsen 12-05-08 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by StephenX (Post 9111698)
Someone on another forum I visit said it is the regular 2-disc found everywhere EXCEPT for the slipcover. He works at CC, and said the slipcover is oversized because the journal fits underneath it with the movie as well. Basically, you have to keep the journal inside too if you want to keep the slipcover on it.

Thought this might help seeing as how a lot of you are planning on getting this one.

Is the regular DVD still factory sealed inside the slipcover?

donniemac 12-05-08 07:36 AM

That's good info - Thanks.

xgivanx 12-05-08 11:38 AM

the 2 disc dvd version with digital copy...

does anyone know if the dvd version with digital copy will be available at barnes & noble , there website completely omits that feature from the specs.
I have a member card and it would actually be cheaper to order it from them. but i wanted the digital copy. I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere but i tried searching and couldn't find an answer. thanks in advance

RagingJake21 12-05-08 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen (Post 9112762)

That’s what I would like to know too all I want is the slipcover for my steelbook and return the dvd itself.

The Monkees 12-05-08 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08 (Post 9111943)
Is the standard DVD quality that shitty?

I mean I am not some super crazy DVD person. If it looks good to the average Joe, I'll be happy. And maybe it'll look better played on my HD-DVD player?

I had a chance last week and this week to see the standard DVD and the BD and the DVD looks amazing and the BD looks even more amazing!

sweeney85 12-05-08 07:18 PM

What are you guys leaning more toward? The exclusive copies of the dark knight blu-ray or just the regular two disc blu-ray?

gryffinmaster 12-05-08 07:41 PM

He works at CC, and said the slipcover is oversized because the journal fits underneath it with the movie as well.

Aaaand that's why we're not getting that art with the Blu-ray release. :( Oh well, cheapest standard Blu-ray for me!

taco5 12-06-08 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by RagingJake21 (Post 9114521)
That’s what I would like to know too all I want is the slipcover for my steelbook and return the dvd itself.

That will not work. CC uses certain UPCs on their exclusives so...

RagingJake21 12-06-08 09:23 AM

of course if the UPCs don’t match then I won't try but in most case (Best buy,Target) the exclusives have the same UPC as the regular DVD this is the first time I'm getting a exclusive from CC so don't know anything about it but I’ll just have to see.

ScottsdaleSaint 12-06-08 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by taco5 (Post 9115436)
That will not work. CC uses certain UPCs on their exclusives so...

yah, but the UPC sticker is usually on the case not the slipcover...not that i would ever do anything like returning a DVD sans slipcover.:D2:

StephenX 12-06-08 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen (Post 9112762)

The way I understood him--Yes, it is just the regular sealed DVD. I would assume the barcode that CC will use will be on the slipcover. The whole thing COULD be shrinkwrapped, too.

taco5 12-06-08 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint (Post 9115646)
yah, but the UPC sticker is usually on the case not the slipcover...not that i would ever do anything like returning a DVD sans slipcover.:D2:

That is not always the case. I've see the actual receipts from the major retailers who sell their own exclusives and they will specify if it was an exclusive. I think all the major markets are getting hip to people doing that. Sometimes the UPC sticker may be on the outer wrapping of the item, not the case itself if you know what I mean.

TRC 12-06-08 02:40 PM

Does the Circuit City exclusive come with the standard slipcover within the oversized slipcover like the Spider-Man 3 Target exclusive?

dex14 12-06-08 03:57 PM

Anyone receive their copies from Amazon? Mine came today. Pretty cool.

NiCK Crush 12-06-08 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 9115998)
Does the Circuit City exclusive come with the standard slipcover within the oversized slipcover like the Spider-Man 3 Target exclusive?

oversized, to fit the journal.

OldBoy 12-06-08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by RagingJake21 (Post 9114521)

that is just wrong on 2 levels, 1 is the obvious dupe to the store and the 2nd is why on earth would you want to cover up a SteelBook™ case with a slipcover and if it is for protection, buy a bag! :hscratch:

RagingJake21 12-06-08 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9116310)
that is just wrong on 2 levels, 1 is the obvious dupe to the store and the 2nd is why on earth would you want to cover up a SteelBook™ case with a slipcover and if it is for protection, buy a bag! :hscratch:

I don't think I'm "dupeing" the store when all I want is a simple slipcover that cost like twenty cents to make its not I'm keeping the journal or anything just the slipcover. The only reason I'm not keeping the dvd is because I got a good deal at CH which I'm pretty sure will come with a slipcover of its own which I would gladly replace with the CC exclusive but can't because they might think its not there's when I go to return it. There are people on here doing far more worse things to get there hands on just the exclusive from a store and returning the dvd then me who just wants a slipcover. But I'm not going to make a post and be a dick and call them out on because its not my right to each its own. Also you said why don't I use a bag to protect my steelbook its because the bag doesn’t protect the steelbook from getting dents its only good for scratches and since I'm always taking movies to whatch at a friends house a bag just won't cut it. Its amazing to me how you are always the first person to call someone out like your some authority figure I hate when someone does that by trying make someone feel bad and make themselves seem some kind of a saint :rolleyes:

yourlocalcinema 12-06-08 07:28 PM

I read over on slashfilm that some Best Buy and Circuit City stores are doing a midnight launch. Anyone know if there's a list anywhere of which specific locations will be participating?

EDIT - to answer my own question, here is a list of the Best Buy stores. Anyone know of a CC list anywhere?