DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/535255-dark-knight-12-09-08-a.html)

tucker 07-09-08 08:33 PM

The Dark Knight: 12-09-08

According to dvd.themanroom.com, "The Dark Knight" DVD is release for December 9, 2008.

Santa Brings The Dark Knight For X-Mas
By George 'El Guapo' Roush on April 17, 2008
A mystery informant located deep within the bowels of Hollywood has given us information on the release date of The Dark Knight DVD and it looks likes it's coming just in time for Christmas.

On December 9th, 2008 expect The Dark Knight to hit store shelves and be a huge seller this holiday season.

And if that isn't enough, Speed Racer will cross the finish line into stores on November 25th, 2008 just in time for Black Friday weekend!!
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/san...for-x-mas-4461

No Deleted Scenes In Dark Knight DVD
The Dark Knight is getting closer and closer to its release date (you can see my review here) and already we hear some news about the DVD for the film. The folks over at IFMagazine give us the following:

“We know there won’t be any deleted scenes because there never are,” says Roven, noting director Nolan puts everything of importance in the actual movie. “There weren’t any on BATMAN BEGINS and there weren’t any on this one.”

That’s too bad in a way. Aside from the directors commentary, deleted scenes are my favorite features of a DVD. Not just because I get to see extra stuff… but rather I get to see and understand the mind of a director a little bit more when and why they decide certain things need to go and how those little decisions can alter the entire feel of a film.

In this case specifically the film could have used a little editing. My one and only complaint about Dark Knight is that it’s too long for the movie that it is. But that’s just me.
http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/07/...ark-knight-dvd

Numanoid 07-09-08 09:11 PM

As someone that dreads the modern movie-going experience, I'm loving these quick release windows. Bring it on!

PopcornTreeCt 07-09-08 09:32 PM

That's not quick enough for me.

GoldenJCJ 07-09-08 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

I'm envisioning a Spaceballs type future where we get the DVD before they're done filming...

Kory 07-09-08 10:26 PM

I was reading an interview with Christopher Nolan in which he was talking about the potential for the Blu-Ray release of this. Since certain scenes were actually filmed using an IMAX camera, which he said has a 2:4 aspect ratio, and the rest of the movie has a 16:9 aspect ratio, the Blu-Ray technology will actually allow it to be displayed this way on the Blu-Ray disc, with the aspect ratio shifting as it will when viewed on the IMAX screen. Kind of neat.

dx23 07-09-08 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Ditto.

Giles 07-09-08 11:04 PM

note to self: I will freeze myself after seeing the IMAX version and wake up in time for the bluray release.

MTRodaba2468 07-10-08 01:30 AM

Why am I not surprised that this movie, of all movies, has a rumored DVD release date before it's even released in theaters?

Seantn 07-10-08 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
As someone that dreads the modern movie-going experience, I'm loving these quick release windows. Bring it on!

5 months? They announced it early, they're not releasing it early.

RyoHazuki 07-10-08 02:01 AM

Pushing the release date that far will only fuel more bootlegging.

PopcornTreeCt 07-10-08 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Why am I not surprised that this movie, of all movies, has a rumored DVD release date before it's even released in theaters?

It's not the first. I can remember something have a firm release date right before it hit screens. Maybe Pirates 3? I don't remember.

Seantn 07-10-08 02:20 AM

Muppets from Space

rexinnih 07-10-08 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kory
I was reading an interview with Christopher Nolan in which he was talking about the potential for the Blu-Ray release of this. Since certain scenes were actually filmed using an IMAX camera, which he said has a 2:4 aspect ratio, and the rest of the movie has a 16:9 aspect ratio, the Blu-Ray technology will actually allow it to be displayed this way on the Blu-Ray disc, with the aspect ratio shifting as it will when viewed on the IMAX screen. Kind of neat.

Would be interesting to see this.

Doughboy 07-10-08 07:31 AM

The IMAX prologue looks incredible on the Batman Begins Blu-ray, so I can't wait for The Dark Knight.

The lack of deleted scenes sucks, but hopefully Nolan does a commentary this time around.

canaryfarmer 07-10-08 08:24 AM

A pre-Christmas release for a major summer superhero blockbuster? Who'd a-thunk it?!

BullGooseLoony 07-10-08 08:49 AM

I wonder when Iron Man 2 comes out on DVD.

islandclaws 07-10-08 03:00 PM

^ Nov. 2010.

caiman 07-10-08 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kory

Why is a shifting aspect ratio a good thing?

gimmepilotwings 07-10-08 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by caiman
Why is a shifting aspect ratio a good thing?

Because it is still the OAR.

I'm seeing this movie opening night at IMAX.

Cornelius1047 07-10-08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I wonder when Iron Man 2 comes out on DVD.

Personally, I can't wait to see the cover art for The Caped Crusader in 2011.

K

NiCK Crush 07-10-08 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Personally, I can't wait to see the cover art for The Caped Crusader in 2011.

K

you mean, Shadow of the Bat ;)

gotrice487 07-10-08 05:50 PM

I'm in...

Matthew Chmiel 07-10-08 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Because it is still the OAR.

I'm seeing this movie opening night at IMAX.

Technically, when it's on Blu-ray, it won't be in it's OAR anyway.

The OAR for the IMAX footage is 1.34:1.
The OAR for the 35mm footage is 2.40:1.

Someone in the thread on Movie Talk asked Nolan about the situation and Nolan has already confirmed the IMAX footage will be in 1.78:1 on the Blu-ray.

Jason 07-10-08 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
you mean, Shadow of the Bat ;)

According to I am Legend, shouldn't we be getting a Batman-Superman movie by then?

rednowgreen 07-11-08 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tucker
And if that isn't enough, Speed Racer will cross the finish line into stores on November 25th, 2008 just in time for Black Friday weekend!!
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/san...for-x-mas-4461

Release Date: September 16, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Racer-Em...5785417&sr=1-1