DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/535255-dark-knight-12-09-08-a.html)

Frozenhamster 07-11-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Technically, when it's on Blu-ray, it won't be in it's OAR anyway.

The OAR for the IMAX footage is 1.34:1.
The OAR for the 35mm footage is 2.40:1.

Someone in the thread on Movie Talk asked Nolan about the situation and Nolan has already confirmed the IMAX footage will be in 1.78:1 on the Blu-ray.

Yes. I believe the idea is to replicate the effect of the image expanding during the IMAX sequences like they do in an IMAX theatre. Making it 1.34:1 would make the image smaller so they went with 1.78, which is at least close enough to 1.34, gives the effect of expanding the image, and adds more of the originally intended image.

ReduxGuy 07-11-08 10:07 AM

Oh Come On!!!!

The Movie's Not Even Out Yet And The Dvd Date's Already Announced?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!

NiCK Crush 07-11-08 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Oh Come On!!!!

The Movie's Not Even Out Yet And The Dvd Date's Already Announced?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!

whats the problem?

canaryfarmer 07-11-08 02:10 PM

It's not like WB has to worry about people skipping the theater with this one and waiting until December.

ReduxGuy 07-11-08 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
whats the problem?

I guess I'm just an old-fashioned kind of person where I'd like the movie to be out for some time before a home video release date is announced.

OldBoy 07-11-08 04:44 PM

Oh Come On!!!!

i guess WB doesn't think it will do that well -wink-

Seantn 07-11-08 09:59 PM

Well now that I know it's coming to DVD, I won't bother seeing it in theaters!!!!

Fincher Fan 07-12-08 10:43 PM

I guess I'm just an old-fashioned kind of person where I'd like the movie to be out for some time before a home video release date is announced.

What's the benefit of that?

gryffinmaster 07-12-08 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
What's the benefit of that?

Pleasure delay, maybe? :scratch2:

Matthew Chmiel 07-13-08 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
Yes. I believe the idea is to replicate the effect of the image expanding during the IMAX sequences like they do in an IMAX theatre. Making it 1.34:1 would make the image smaller so they went with 1.78, which is at least close enough to 1.34, gives the effect of expanding the image, and adds more of the originally intended image.

Adds more how? It will crop the image on the top and bottom.

Nolan shot the footage with the 1.34:1 ratio in mind. The 1.78:1 is a compromise for assholes who will bitch and moan the image isn't taking up their whole screen.

I'm all for films using multiple aspect ratios, but I would love to see that vision preserved on the DVD/Blu-ray as well (unlike say Galaxy Quest).

kefrank 07-13-08 10:58 AM

Oh Come On!!!!

No, it has not been officially announced. It's a rumored release date from another website.

The Monkees 07-13-08 03:04 PM

I know the film would have done very well even if Heath Ledger hadn't died, but I wonder how much hype would have been around the Joker had he not died?

CertifiedTHX 07-13-08 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm all for films using multiple aspect ratios, but I would love to see that vision preserved on the DVD/Blu-ray as well (unlike say Galaxy Quest).

When did Galaxy Quest use multiple aspect ratios? I never saw it theatrically, so I wouldn't know if something was different on the DVD.

--THX

canaryfarmer 07-13-08 10:00 PM

The opening, showing the original tv show, was 4x3.

caligulathegod 07-14-08 03:13 AM

There was also a shift from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1 when they reached outer space the first time.

CertifiedTHX 07-14-08 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
There was also a shift from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1 when they reached outer space the first time.

Guess I'm not familiar enough with it. From what I recall, the first time they reach outer space is when the Thermians take Jason to their ship, and Jason still thinks it's an elaborate game put together by fans. But that doesn't happen until maybe 10-15 minutes into the movie. I can't imagine they would keep the frame at 1.85:1 that long.

Is there an earlier scene in outer space I'm forgetting?

--THX

caligulathegod 07-14-08 08:03 PM

It's the point where he is being sent home the first time in that gooey transporter. The walls open up and he sees he's really in space. At that point the image opened up even further to 2.35:1 (if the theater presented it correctly). The DVD (and HBO-HD this month) didn't replicate this.

crazyrabbits 07-17-08 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by tucker
According to dvd.themanroom.com, "The Dark Knight" DVD is release for December 9, 2008.

Santa Brings The Dark Knight For X-Mas
By George 'El Guapo' Roush on April 17, 2008
A mystery informant located deep within the bowels of Hollywood has given us information on the release date of The Dark Knight DVD and it looks likes it's coming just in time for Christmas.

On December 9th, 2008 expect The Dark Knight to hit store shelves and be a huge seller this holiday season.

And if that isn't enough, Speed Racer will cross the finish line into stores on November 25th, 2008 just in time for Black Friday weekend!!
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/san...for-x-mas-4461

No Deleted Scenes In Dark Knight DVD
The Dark Knight is getting closer and closer to its release date (you can see my review here) and already we hear some news about the DVD for the film. The folks over at IFMagazine give us the following:

“We know there won’t be any deleted scenes because there never are,” says Roven, noting director Nolan puts everything of importance in the actual movie. “There weren’t any on BATMAN BEGINS and there weren’t any on this one.”

That’s too bad in a way. Aside from the directors commentary, deleted scenes are my favorite features of a DVD. Not just because I get to see extra stuff… but rather I get to see and understand the mind of a director a little bit more when and why they decide certain things need to go and how those little decisions can alter the entire feel of a film.

In this case specifically the film could have used a little editing. My one and only complaint about Dark Knight is that it’s too long for the movie that it is. But that’s just me.
http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/07/...ark-knight-dvd

That's total bulls#[email protected] I already know for a fact that, in the first film alone, they cut out shots of Scarecrow as seen by Rachel when she was affected by the fear toxin. I'm a member of the Superherohype.com site, and there's a discussion going on right now about all the deleted and alternate material for this film. Alternate lines and takes were used in the trailers, and there were also more small scenes cut for pacing reasons.

kefrank 07-17-08 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by crazyrabbits
That's total bulls#[email protected] I already know for a fact that, in the first film alone, they cut out shots of Scarecrow as seen by Rachel when she was affected by the fear toxin. I'm a member of the Superherohype.com site, and there's a discussion going on right now about all the deleted and alternate material for this film. Alternate lines and takes were used in the trailers, and there were also more small scenes cut for pacing reasons.

Obviously Nolan shot more than just what made it into the final cut. I think the point of the statement is that Nolan puts everything that he wants to be seen in the movie. He didn't cut anything out that he would have liked to somehow fit into the movie. Everything that hit the cutting room floor made it there because that's where it really belonged and I don't blame Nolan for deciding it should stay there.

tylergfoster 07-17-08 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
Obviously Nolan shot more than just what made it into the final cut. I think the point of the statement is that Nolan puts everything that he wants to be seen in the movie. He didn't cut anything out that he would have liked to somehow fit into the movie. Everything that hit the cutting room floor made it there because that's where it really belonged and I don't blame Nolan for deciding it should stay there.

I think also the idea is that the stuff that was cut is not major -- alternate takes is not something I'm desperate to see on the DVD.

kefrank 07-17-08 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think also the idea is that the stuff that was cut is not major -- alternate takes is not something I'm desperate to see on the DVD.

exactly. the best take was obviously chosen for the movie. why would i want to watch the takes that weren't good enough?

Labor 07-18-08 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank

There is an interview with the producers of The Dark Knight (Charles Roven and Emma Thomas) where they say that Nolan had to cut like 10 minutes from his cut of the film. Maybe it was for ratings reasons. Who knows.

I doubt we will see it on DVD/Blu-Ray, but there is definitely some stuff that was cut.

mikelowry 07-18-08 06:37 PM

Any chance for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight boxed set?

jiffy97 07-18-08 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mikelowry
Any chance for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight boxed set?

Better question is, "Any chance there won't be one?"

asianxcore 07-18-08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I know the film would have done very well even if Heath Ledger hadn't died, but I wonder how much hype would have been around the Joker had he not died?

I would say there still would be a fair amount. Mostly because Nicholson played the same role in Burton's Batman film and there would be constant comparisons to who played it better.

I'm excited that there is already a date for the film on DVD. Definitely looking forward to picking up the Blu-Ray