DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Biggest Regret

Old 03-09-11, 04:50 PM
Banned

Re: Biggest Regret

Watchmen - got it when my brother didn't like it. Will NEVER watch it again

Water Horse - just depressing at the end. Will never watch it again.

Men Who Stare At Goats - nowhere near as good as the ads made it out to be.

Santa Claus The Movie - not for the movie(it's one of my favourites), just for the PQ. It's got this weird thing where the black bars on the top and bottom aren't entirely black and are sort of grey and you can really tell on a 4:3 set. There are 2 different coloured sets of bars; one grey and one black.

Witless Protection - it's just not as good as Delta Farce or Health Inspector, which are great comedies. Though some people think that you have to use your brain for a movie to be good. They fail to understand that sometimes you want to just sit back, relax, and watch something that doesn't make you think and is just funny.
Old 03-09-11, 05:27 PM

Last year, I made two rather expensive forays into the world of silent comedy... Harold Lloyd Giftset (Vols 1-3) and the Chaplin Collection Vol 1. Both were busts. Lloyd had a few good talkie-era entries, but that's merely a slice of his work. Didn't like Chaplin's style of comedy.... too much emotion and sentiment. The lesson learned here: I'm no fan of silent comedy, or silents in general.

Abbott and Costello Universal Box Set - I've always been a big fan of the Three Stooges, and made very successful blind ventures into the catalogs of the Marx Bros, W.C Fields, and talkie-era Keaton shorts. I became a big fan of that stuff. A&C seemed like the next logical place to look, especially with this box on sale for $47 at the time. It was another blind buy but a bust. Bud Abbott bores me and Costello is a bit annoying. Besides that, the music is often horrendous and the romantic sublots are just as bad. A&C movies are old movies that feel like old movies. The good ones won't. A&C don't hold up nearly as well as the Stooges, Fields, the Marxes, Keaton, or L&H.

These three purchases set me back a good $150-$160, money that was not well spent.
Old 03-09-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NOT BUYING some of my favorites that are now OOP because the bargain was never there.

I'm trying to be a little smarter in my buying so that I don't pass over something because it's not on sale at Big Lots prices. I guess with all the OOP titles, I'm getting paranoid some semi-obscure things may never come back in print.

Probably my biggest regrets were in the early days of DVD -- 21.99 for Phenomenon, 10 bucks for Doc Hollywood, 17+ for many of the Star Trek Movies, 16 for Entrapment. But I'm sure in 10 years, there will be some titles that will be a fraction of what we spent on them today. I forsee 50 pack of movies from WB, Paramount, Fox, Sony, etc. Who knows?

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I enjoy most of the Judd Apatow brand of films. So I blind bought Walk Hard BD thinking it would be funny. Oh how wrong I was. That was the fastest listing on ebay I've ever created.
There are few movies I really hate. that is one of them. I sold my copy as well.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 03-09-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Monkees season 1 and 2. I passed on them when they were brand new and I recall some decent prices on them. Now they are super expensive.

The old Spider Man cartoon was one I passed up on at first too but wish I had bought.
Old 03-09-11, 08:19 PM

I would say the first couple of seasons of the X-Files, I think I paid between 50-80 bucks for seasons 1-6. I could have waited 5 or so years and gotten them for around 20 bucks. But I really enjoyed watching each one when I got it, and it taught me to wait for prices to drop. So it's a minor regret.
Old 03-09-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nothing I can think of, I really do not blind buy unless it was at the pawn shop for about $1.50 each which is about the same as renting, like it keep it do not sell it for a dollar or give it away. Everything else I know I enjoyed and I 99% of the time never buy new releases when they are too costly. I avoid possible regrets with my careful shopping, plus I got into DVD's in early 2005.

There has to be at least one regret.........waiting too long to buy something?

Some of those $1.50 movies where rather bad, it was so cheap that I hardly care.
Old 03-09-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
I would say the first couple of seasons of the X-Files, I think I paid between 50-80 bucks for seasons 1-6. I could have waited 5 or so years and gotten them for around 20 bucks. But I really enjoyed watching each one when I got it, and it taught me to wait for prices to drop. So it's a minor regret.
Dude, I thought I was getting a great deal when I snagged the first seasons of X-Files on DVD for just under a hundred bucks from Canada. Of course that was the time when season sets were expensive but compared to per episode costs on VHS the shows were actually cheaper than they were on VHS.
Old 03-09-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I regret that Criterion came out with Armageddon even though I didn't buy it.

I also regret not buying ten each of all of those original Alien toys when I saw them at Mervyn's back in '79.
Old 03-09-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I regret buying and watching Julien Donkey Boy and Gummo.
Old 03-09-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But mostly that I didn't join DVD Talk sooner. I can't believe how much I spent at Worst Buy before being schooled in the bargains/club section on this site.
Old 03-09-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^Ha, didn't read the thread looks like I already said these things.
Old 03-10-11, 03:48 AM

"Dallas" #5 and #7
"Get Smart" #1, #2, and #3
"Falcon Crest" #1
"Webster" #1
Old 03-10-11, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
TV seasons are another story. I didn't bat an eyelash forking over $40 a season for Buffy on release week. I thought "Hey, that's less than $7 a disc!". Seemed like a bargain at the time. This was before Big Lots clearances and most pawn shops in the area were still selling used DVDs for over $10 each and keeping them in a glass case. I cringe seeing the entire 6+ season run of most series selling for less than I paid for the first two seasons alone.

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
Some of those $1.50 movies where rather bad, it was so cheap that I hardly care.
I agree, it's hard to feel bad about blind buys that cost less than $2. If you don't like something, you can usually sell it and turn a profit - or at the very least only be out the cost of a rental. Still, hearing people complain about their 400+ title collection makes me think I should scale back the impluse buys. I've purchased at least that many blind buys in the last year or so. I only pick up what I genuinely plan to watch, but all those 50 cent yard sale finds or getting 100+ titles for about $70 shipped from a place like GoHastings is hard to resist.
Old 03-10-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
^Ha, didn't read the thread looks like I already said these things.
You know you can edit your posts and add something to one after you've posted. You don't need to do three posts in a row.
Old 03-10-11, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post

The old Spider Man cartoon was one I passed up on at first too but wish I had bought.
This was one of mine. I kept putting off buying it, then discovered that it was OOP. Then when I started looking for it, I decided that there was no way I was going to pay $60-100+ for it and gave up. Then I was browsing the kids dvds in Moviestop and found a used copy for $39.99 (minus 10% director's club discount).
Old 03-10-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spending $49.99 for The Shield Season 3 at Hastings. I was so addicted to that show that I had to keep watching asasp.

Spending $75 for 3 years of Gamespot's E3 coverage dvds. They have no resell or rewatchability value.
Old 03-10-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Spending $75 for 3 years of Gamespot's E3 coverage dvds. They have no resell or rewatchability value.
I'll pay you $100 for those.
Old 03-10-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

- worst dvd recently received: Salt. Man, the movie is just bad and I hate how much the giver paid for it. Thought I'd like the movie.
- $75 for the Godfather set when it first came out. Still have the set and love parts 1 and 2, but still was too much.
- 24 season 3 and Alias season 3. $45-50 each when they first came out. Never again paid that much for a tv set.
- Not spending more time at the dvd bargains forum for the black friday sales.
- Worst two dvds I gave as gifts: Hairspray and the pursuit of happiness.

My dad recently bought the 2008 the day the earth stood still, I warned him that the movie was crap and to return it. He still thought he'd give it a chance then said I was right.

All that said, I still was able to resist buying a lot more. I shudder at how much the TNG and James Bond sets cost at first release.
Old 03-10-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
You know you can edit your posts and add something to one after you've posted. You don't need to do three posts in a row.
You don't say.
Old 03-13-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
The Ring Two - One of the worst sequels ever.
I thought it was average; could have been stronger, but could also have been even worse. Anyway, the nice thing about the DVD is it also includes the short film, Rings--which I think was actually a much better sequel to The Ring.

Anyway, I can't say I have any DVD buying regrets. I could have been more patient and gotten a better deal in the days before I found this site, sure, but that's a money thing. I've pretty much got the editions I wanted of the titles I wanted.
Old 03-16-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III View Post
Probably buying tons of "pretty good, but mostly because they're cheap" DVDs when I worked at a used record store. I found a few good blind buys and turned some decent profit on eBay, but I still have a box of stuff I'll probably never get around to selling.
We used to buy tons of questionable titles because of how Gamestop used to sell used DVDs with "buy two, get two free" offers. We would fill out our order with stuff that we didn't really want just to buy the titles we only wanted because they were cheap. No more of that. Now all buying is strictly targeted. I'd rather walk out with nothing, then with "something", just to have it.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
All the TV sets I bought. I hate the way most companies handled their releases, mainly changing music, using cut episodes and most of all when they would stop releasing them in the middle of the series.

A good thing these forums did for me was expose this practice before I bought any such sets, and I made sure to avoid any sets like this.
Old 03-16-11, 04:27 PM

I regret watching Flinstones Viva Rick Vegas in the theatre.
Old 03-18-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
I regret watching Flinstones Viva Rick Vegas in the theatre.
I regret knowing that the live-action Flintstones movies exist.

-------------------------------------

A really big one for me, kinda embarrassed to admit this one: last fall or so I had a really nice coupon for Half Price Books (they have books, DVDs, CDs, vinyl, all kinds of stuff). I ended up using the coupon on the Peter Jackson King Kong diaries box, and I haven't even touched it. My other choice, that I was so close to getting was a used copy of the old Dragonriders of Pern RPG box. I don't even play tabletop RPGs, but I love the Pern stories, and I have a few other RPG books and stuff I like looking through, but I thought this would just sit on my shelf. Like the King Kong DVD has done, but the Pern stuff I likely would have at least flipped through and picked up a few interesting tidbits.

I've never seen that Pern box since, but this was a big event in my recent re-evaluation of my DVD buying habits.
Old 03-18-11, 12:54 PM

My most recent regret was not buying the Akira bluray with the slipcover and booklet on release day. I held it in my hand and put it down because of the price. To my surprise, I just found a used copy at Moviestop for $24.99. This just proves how hunting at used dvd stores can pay off.
Old 03-22-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All of them given what I know now. I would be thousands of dollers richer and if I had a little patience I wouild have saved thousands. At least it did not cause me any financial hardship like others one here though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.