Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Biggest Regret

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Spending too much money on blind buys and unnecessary bargain purchases. Also, getting into credit card debt due to DVD's.....which I am now out of Thank God! Also, getting into the hype of "New Release Tuesday" which was probably the worst thing to happen to me financially.

But, mainly not renting enough for a period of 2-3 years. I would have more money in the bank, which would enable me to get a new car or take more vacations.
This is exactly what I would have posted. If I had gotten into renting instead of blind/discount/new release buys I would have about 100 less DVD's (I have about 300 now). My mentality was "why rent it for $5 when you can own it for $15!" or "$5.50 for Spy Game! What a steal!". Idiotic move on my part.

Now, I've gotten into renting via Blockbuster Online so there is no charge per rental. I get to see the movies that I would have bought blind (such as Juno, Sweeney Todd etc) and if the movie is good enough to own I'll jump in and buy the DVD later down the line when I can get it on sale. That way my collection may never get huge but the quality will be better.
Old 04-20-08, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But The Rock invented those cliches. I think The Rock is one of the best action movies. I love it.
im not a big fan of the movie, but i would like to second this post... i mean you could similarly argue that elements of Hitchcock's Psycho are cliche cause they've been ripped off so much...

im not saying michael bay isnt a d-bag, nor am i saying he has anything of substance in common with Hitch, but it does warrant mentioning that this film had some original qualities... as even Armageddon did for effects.
Old 04-20-08, 10:56 PM

Not buying "Yellow Submarine" when it was out even though I had just bought a Playstation 2... I chose the cheaper VHS tape.

I chose poorly.

Old 04-21-08, 12:38 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DeadMADMAN
I would have to agree. I heard how good the movie was. I have always loved Alcatraz yet somehow never got around to seeing this. When I finally watched it I saw every cliche an action movie has ever thrown in. Shit, you had the big jolly black man on the street car, and old lady almost hit in a car chase, an inept police force that stays on the criminals tale the entire chase but then loses them for a second so they can then have a five minute emotional moment with their daughter.

The extras sucked too. I was expecting a badass showcase of the premier from the island. Instead we got a shoddy clip of it, some somewhat humorous
clips of Ed Harris flipping out, and a barely audible segment on gun safety that was filmed with a VHS camera at a shooting range (as people were shooting all around them).

Michael Bay can truly suck it.
Indeed, I keep thinking that this could had been a great, great movie. It had the perfect cast and the right plot, but it just fell completely and utterly short because of Michael Bay. His ideas really do go only as far as action sequences.

I don't know if I'd give him enough credit to say he developed the action cliche either, maybe just that he is an action cliche, lol. When I think action cliche I think of Stalone and schwarzenegger.

I mean at this rate take any 1-2 star action movie and it's easy to call it cliche because there's bound to be another grip of movies it resembles. Kill Bill for example is a cliche of samurai theater in a way. But when you add enough special effects a 2 star movie suddenly becomes a 3 star movie. And this really really bothers me. This effect also tends to make cliche movies rather overrated, dreg and overbearing, yet people still call it entertaining.

And I'm really no more guilty of that than anyone else. Hence why I bought the movie, and why I regret it.

Last edited by SledHeavy; 04-21-08 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
All those blind buys at $10 and $5 that I thought was such a good deal.

Buying all of the Batman movies (yes all) at $10 each and they are in snappers.

Buying Voyager for about $40-50 a set used at movie gallery because I thought it was a steal and then not watching it up until this day when they are $35 new now. I bought many seasons of Next Gen for more but don't regret it one bit.

The illusionist I bought for like $4 on Black Friday last year thinking it was the Prestige (haven't watched it yet though so maybe it will turn out alright).

My biggest DVD regret is NOT buying the First couple waves of disney treasures. I was in school at the time but I really should have picked them up.
Old 04-21-08, 09:38 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts
My dad was super-cool and bought me the $22 DVD of Bicycle Thief for Christmas, 2006... The next month I heard about the upcoming Criterion release. I haven't opened the version he bought me, and I haven't bought the $32 Criterion. I doubt he would ever find out if I got rid of his gift and upgraded, but he was so excited to get me something I've been wanting for a long time.

I'll take ideas on how to get rid of the old version and make some cash from it to go toward the new one.
Old 04-21-08, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But The Rock invented those cliches. I think The Rock is one of the best action movies. I love it.
Fair enough but I disagree. I think those cliches were around for a while. I could think of a few instances such as the Dukes of Hazard or Beverly Hills Cop or Terminator...the list goes on and on. However, I would concede that Bay may have been the first to make them so ridiculously over the top. Personally I can suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy a fair amount of cheesy action films but I draw a very clear and noticeable line at Michael Bay. But who am I to talk? I've got such a vast array of ridiculously over the top low budget horror movies that it would probably make me lose credibility.
Old 04-21-08, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree on the cliches already existing well before The Rock was made. Bay just turned them into groaners. I guess that's a talent of sorts.
Old 04-21-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I regret being impatient and buying so many Region 2 and 4 releases -- paying international prices and putting up with my glitchy region-free player - when most of them eventually came out to Region 1 with better versions.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 04-21-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 10:47 PM

I regret not buying several out of print WWF DVD's before the Vince McMahon revisionist history machine blurred out logos and changed music and commentary.
Old 04-21-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
450 DVDs should only be about $2175.

CH user/lover
Seconded, I wish I had figured it out earlier to as I probably spent about the same on my first 500 discs.

Biggest regret was buying Julian Donkey Boy and Star Crash
Old 04-22-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobSchlapowitz
I regret not buying several out of print WWF DVD's before the Vince McMahon revisionist history machine blurred out logos and changed music and commentary.
Holla. Sometimes, I wish the WWF would go out of business, so this blurriness could end.
Old 04-22-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
I regret being impatient and buying so many Region 2 and 4 releases -- paying international prices and putting up with my glitchy region-free player - when most of them eventually came out to Region 1 with better versions.
This is also my biggest regret,ie:
Bought The Graduate from the UK as it was anamorphic, and an anamorphic SE comes out 2 months later in Region 1.

There are about 30 to 40 more I can name...I wish there was a way I could get rid of my region 2 UK DVDs...looks like the only way for me is to drag them over to England on my next vacation and try to sell them to a store there.

I also regret not picking up some DVDs that later went OOP, such as The Red Desert, which I remember holding in my hand in a store to buy, then at the last minute putting it back thinking I can get it some other time.
Old 04-22-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy most of the Judd Apatow brand of films. So I blind bought Walk Hard BD thinking it would be funny. Oh how wrong I was. That was the fastest listing on ebay I've ever created.
Old 04-22-08, 12:27 PM
Cool New Member

I regret buying hostel parts 1 and 2. I like the horror genre but these two films were way over the top. Its like they were just trying to do the sickest thing possible and see whether they could get it through the sensors.
Old 04-22-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Probably buying tons of "pretty good, but mostly because they're cheap" DVDs when I worked at a used record store. I found a few good blind buys and turned some decent profit on eBay, but I still have a box of stuff I'll probably never get around to selling.
Old 04-22-08, 01:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I got the Trigun set too. What a bad series. My anime tastes have pretty much dwindled to non-esistant these days but at the time I would blind buy it all even with other, cheaper, means of seeing them. I even had Appleseed: Ex Machina in my hands today, was tempted because John Woo had a hand in producing it. I put it back on the shelf.

Steelbook dvds are killing me. I like them so much, I'll buy something just because its in a steelbook, be it video game or dvd. I got teh steelbook Cloverfield today over the regular dvd.

I regret getting the Matrix complete collection since I really only enjoyed part 1, and I havent even watched that part of the collection.
Old 04-22-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine?

Alone in the Dark

Ooof!
Old 04-22-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No regrets at all. I buy what I like to watch repeatedly, I never rent. I love every dvd in my collection.
Old 04-22-08, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
Holla. Sometimes, I wish the WWF would go out of business, so this blurriness could end.
I hear ya. I have a coworker that is obsessed with wrestling. We bonded when we first met because we had such an affinity for the old school glory days of Hogan Vs. Warrior or even up to Michaels Vs. Undertaker (Hell in a Cell) but he won't shut up about Randy Orton and this and that and I just cant stand what McMahon has done to the business.

Sure it was always fake and over dramatic. I always looked at it as a comic book. Now it is just a soap opera complete with pregnancies and affairs and miscarriages and people dying. To top it off I cant even get good copies of the old shit because McMahon wants to save a few pennies. God I hate that asshole.
Old 04-22-08, 06:49 PM
Suspended

The Rise And Fall of ECW.I picked it up at the local pawn shop for $3.00.I bought it since,besides the fact it was cheap,it was 2 disc and I am a big fan of Terry Funk.
I watched disc 1 and since I had never even seen a ECW match,I was unfamiliar with nearly all of their roster(besides Funk of course).
I realized that the chances of me ever watching it were again were slim,not to mention the fact that a certain coment made by one of the Dudley Boys,really offended me,I hawked it on eBay.I didn't even watch 1 match on disc 2.
Old 03-08-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Biggest Regret

Begotten when it first came out. I was used to 14.99 DVDs and didn't want to pony up the 19.99 for a movie that had a good cover and description, but never heard of before.

Tarazan 2-Disc Disney edition for $20 used. I should have bought it and my life wouldn't have been happier that day.

La Femme Nikita even though I didn't know how awesome it was at the time. I always passed it up (the SE).

Future Kill, cause even though they didn't use the original giger cover, I could have made a custom and had a cool looking sci-fi/horror dvd in my collection.
Old 03-09-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Without question, my #1 regret was buying the Blade Runner collector's set that came with the film cell, poster and lobby card reproductions. I love the movie, but I think I paid over $70 for that thing when it first came out. I never pay extra for bonus movie related collectibles these days - I don't know what possessed me to spend that much on them back then.
Old 03-09-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

All the TV sets I bought. I hate the way most companies handled their releases, mainly changing music, using cut episodes and most of all when they would stop releasing them in the middle of the series.
Old 03-09-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Bowling For Columbine

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.