Biggest Regret

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 06:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it's really a toss up.

-The Rock (criterion)
-Demolition Man

Not to degrade the two by comparing them either, it's just that I h8 michael bay as much as rob schneider talking about the three shells.

I almost bought trigun, and requiem for a dream too
Old 04-19-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I cringe everytime I see the Sleepaway Camp boxset (with bonus 4th disc!!) on my shelf. What a piece of shit movie series that is. It only cost me about $15 but I still hate it.
Old 04-19-08, 06:49 PM

That's an easy one. Waiting as long as I have to start picking up or collecting
some of the DVDs that I love or have meant so much to me throughout the years.
(I can be extremely stubborn and pig headed when I want to be.)
Old 04-19-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Buying "Romeo Must Die" on a friend's recommendation.

It's so bad, "suck" doesn't cover it.
Old 04-19-08, 07:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

My biggest regret may bother some, I'm a huge Peckinpah and Dustin Hoffman fan, but I was really disappointed with Straw Dogs.

Likely, I wouldn't be so bothered if I had avoided the Criterion and waited for the regular release. I just couldn't believe I spent that much on a film I simply did not care for.

Had it been 9.99 instead, probably wouldn't have been a big deal, and honestly I liked the commentary (flawed as it was) more than the film, but really it was a Criterion I could've skipped.
Old 04-19-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Romeo Must Die
Ready to Rumble -Yes the David Arquette wrestling movie
Blair Witch Project Box Set

I've sold off most of my other regrets.
Old 04-19-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Buying "Romeo Must Die" on a friend's recommendation.

It's so bad, "suck" doesn't cover it.
Yeah, that one is pretty bad.
Old 04-19-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought Flash Gordon from Image on Ebay for $40 shipped in 2000 thinking it would never be re-released. Got the new semi-better version last year and tried to sell the old one, only got offered $1.50 at the local shop and no one on ebay wanted it. Just gave it to a relative. Also kinda hate that i bought the Superman Ultimate set. Never watched it. Even got the replacement discs. Tried to sell it at FYE and Rasputin but htey would only give $15 for it so on my shelf it sits.
Old 04-19-08, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Blair Witch Project Box Set
There was a box set

For me it's probably 'Trekkies'. Ouch.
Old 04-19-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Too many to count.

There was a weird period where I blind bought a bunch of titles, instead of focusing on genres I love.

Safe to say I sold off all my regrets/mistakes
Old 04-19-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason One
I regret not getting into DVDs as early as you did. I foolishly waited until 1997.
Believe me, you should be glad that you waited until 1997 because there weren't any anamorphic DVDs released in all of 1993! Not a single one!
Old 04-19-08, 11:51 PM

Judge Dredd but I don't want to sell it. Maybe it's Diane Lane, high production costume, childhood nostalgia, or I am just plain lazy.
Old 04-19-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Buying DVDs is probably my biggest regret. I must have about 450 DVDs and if I didn't spend money on DVD from beginning of DVD era (1993), I would have been $10,000 richer.

What DVD's did you buy in 1993?
Old 04-20-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My biggest regret is buying the Criterion Armageddon. It wasn't until after I watched it, that I realized how much I hated the movie. I sold it to a friend for $25.
Old 04-20-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
What DVD's did you buy in 1993?
back to the future trilogy....obviously.
Old 04-20-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I regret not picking up VCI's discs of The Shooting, Raw Deal/T-Men and Ride in the Whirlwind back when they were $5.99 each from DD. They cost a small fortune on ebay now.
Old 04-20-08, 12:27 PM
Suspended

bought donnie darko SE at pawn shop in a 4 for $10 deal.

worst $2.50 i ever spent- i just tell myself i spent $3.33 for the others.
Old 04-20-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going to two Wal-Marts looking for a Hot Fuzz with bonus disc in Widescreen and not finding it. Then, a couple of days later, willing to buy a fullscreen version and hoping to switch them somehow, returning to both Wal-Marts, discovering they're sold out. Then, ordering from Wal-Mart.com and eventually getting a widescreen version with bonus disc. Seeing "Wal-Mart Exclusive Bonus Disc" emblazoned on the disc and case in big, ugly letters to remind me that I had to deal with Wal-Mart.

And a few months later, a three-disc collector's edition with all of the extras and then some comes out.
Old 04-20-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
House Of 10,000 Corpses
Was that an unofficial sequel to Rob Zombie's movie that some kid made up in his backyard or something?
Old 04-20-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
There was a box set
I bought it also but I only paid $5 for it. At that price it's worth it.

It came with a necklace, both movies and the 3 PC games.

I regret not going to the auction place in town when they were advertising vhs and dvds being auctioned. My wife doesn't regret it though.

Specific movie would be the 2nd copy of Nail Gun Massacre that was signed by the director. I ended up giving it away as a secret santa gift. The other problem is that the version signed by the director is full screen and then they came out with a wide screen version later, which I ended up getting also.
Old 04-20-08, 07:16 PM

Buying all the Lord of the Rings: Extended Editions Giftsets. I was seduced by the packaging and how good a deal I was getting (about $17 a piece from Deep Discount a couple years ago). Then I remembered how little I cared for the movies when I saw them theatrically.

And I blind bought V for Vendetta Best Buy Exclusive Giftset. Again, I was swayed by the packaging and the thought of it becoming rare and sought after. I didn't even get a good deal for this one, as i think it was $35. The extra fifteen bucks was not worth it for that stupid and poor quality V mask and postcards. And to top it all off, I hated the movie.

On the other end of the spectrum, I regret not picking up the X-Files Complete Series set from Amazon when they had it for ~$160
Old 04-20-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Blade Runner 5 Disc Briefcase...it was a blind buy for me and I didn't really enjoy the movie that much.
Old 04-20-08, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by SledHeavy
For me it's really a toss up.

-The Rock (criterion)
I would have to agree. I heard how good the movie was. I have always loved Alcatraz yet somehow never got around to seeing this. When I finally watched it I saw every cliche an action movie has ever thrown in. Shit, you had the big jolly black man on the street car, and old lady almost hit in a car chase, an inept police force that stays on the criminals tale the entire chase but then loses them for a second so they can then have a five minute emotional moment with their daughter.

The extras sucked too. I was expecting a badass showcase of the premier from the island. Instead we got a shoddy clip of it, some somewhat humorous
clips of Ed Harris flipping out, and a barely audible segment on gun safety that was filmed with a VHS camera at a shooting range (as people were shooting all around them).

Michael Bay can truly suck it.
Old 04-20-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RKillgore
Going to two Wal-Marts looking for a Hot Fuzz with bonus disc in Widescreen and not finding it. Then, a couple of days later, willing to buy a fullscreen version and hoping to switch them somehow, returning to both Wal-Marts, discovering they're sold out. Then, ordering from Wal-Mart.com and eventually getting a widescreen version with bonus disc. Seeing "Wal-Mart Exclusive Bonus Disc" emblazoned on the disc and case in big, ugly letters to remind me that I had to deal with Wal-Mart.

And a few months later, a three-disc collector's edition with all of the extras and then some comes out.
Me too.
Old 04-20-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadMADMAN
I would have to agree. I heard how good the movie was. I have always loved Alcatraz yet somehow never got around to seeing this. When I finally watched it I saw every cliche an action movie has ever thrown in. Shit, you had the big jolly black man on the street car, and old lady almost hit in a car chase, an inept police force that stays on the criminals tale the entire chase but then loses them for a second so they can then have a five minute emotional moment with their daughter.

The extras sucked too. I was expecting a badass showcase of the premier from the island. Instead we got a shoddy clip of it, some somewhat humorous
clips of Ed Harris flipping out, and a barely audible segment on gun safety that was filmed with a VHS camera at a shooting range (as people were shooting all around them).

Michael Bay can truly suck it.
But The Rock invented those cliches. I think The Rock is one of the best action movies. I love it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.