Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Biggest Regret

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Biggest Regret

I regret not getting into Blu-ray collecting sooner - now I'm spending lots to upgrade my favorite DVD movies to Blu.
Old 03-22-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I regret sitting through Blair Witch project.
Old 03-22-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted in another thread, I chose a Mariah Carey dvd over Quadrophenia when it was still in print, that was mine for a while, until I found it used at second spin for around $4..
Old 03-22-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'll add the Blade Runner HD DVD briefcase set to my list. Luckily I was able to get a good bit back when I traded it in somewhere, unfortunately I'll never get the 2 hours I spent watching it back though.
Old 03-23-11, 01:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it has to be my ignorance of aspect ratio when I first got into DVD, I got in during highschool, senior year '00 and at that time I thought I got more picture with a full screen release...and I didnt buy anything widescreen for a little while, or atleast tried to avoid them whenever possible, I passed a many now OOP movie for that...I did eventually come to my senses and replaced alot of my full screen films for their proper aspect ratio
Old 03-23-11, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Selling my criterion versions of The Killer and Robocop.
Not buying Mystery Science Theater Vols. 6, 9, and 10
Buying The X-files season sets for $100.
Old 03-27-11, 03:33 PM

I've never really bought any DVDs for myself. I bought some for my mom. Speaking of her, she has purchased and rented some pretty bad movies that she regrets.

I remember buying this Samsung Upconverting DVD Player not too long ago. The DVDs look the same as when I put them in my Xbox 360. I don't know why I didn't send it back to Amazon.
Old 03-27-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally blind buying years ago (which I've stopped).

All of that could have been put towards good movies
Old 03-29-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In the 10 1/2 years I've been collecting DVDs, I have had some regrets, although my biggest one (financially) would be paying $130 for Star Trek season one on HD-DVD. I love the show, but in retrospect that was way way too much money for one season of the show (although Paramount has never had decent pricing on any of the Star Trek seasons). Other regrets I have would be blind buying too much in the early days (especially with anime), not getting into Netflix sooner, not paying attention to internet deals, being too impulsive with some purchases.
Old 03-30-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure there have been blind buys in the past that would bad but I can't think of anything right now. I guess I regret selling my original Rocky set when the 2004 set was announced and I thought there would be special features on it which obviously there were not.

There's stuff I regret NOT buying, the one thing that comes to mind was the 2 disc Halloween DVD that had the TV version on it. I eventually got the individual TV version on DVD (that is now out of print) but I remember not buying the 2 disc when it came out because I didn't have much money.

I guess I also regret buying those early 2 disc sets Disney came out with especially Dinosaur, which I no longer have. But I also bought Emperor's New Groove and Tarzan. Not that the movies were bad, but the additional features weren't really worth the price jump.
Old 04-08-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I so regret not buying the Batman TAS box so bad. I look at all the crap on my shelves that should have been rentals, and I could have bought that Batman box a dozen times over.

(Inspired by the bumped thread about the Batman set).
Old 04-08-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

This is my biggest regret

Years later, I've still only watched part of season 1, and the seasons are so much cheaper now. To make it worse, I already had season 5 but calculated that this set was cheaper, and then I never got around to selling off my duplicate season 5.
Old 04-08-11, 04:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
This is my biggest regret

Years later, I've still only watched part of season 1, and the seasons are so much cheaper now. To make it worse, I already had season 5 but calculated that this set was cheaper, and then I never got around to selling off my duplicate season 5.
B5 is one of my prized possessions. You really should watch it. Once they get things set up in Season 1, things move along pretty well, it sets up a story arc without completely sacrificing the individual episodes, kind of like X-Files, but the story really pulls you in. I've a feeling you wouldn't regret watching it if you could get past S1. Here's how it should be watched:

Movie: The Gathering
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Movie: In the Beginning
1st 2 disks of Season 4
Movie: Thirdspace
Remainder of Season 4
Season 5 (all but the last episode)
Movie: River of Souls
Movie: Call to Arms
Season 5 (final episode)

The Final episode is negotiable, don't watch it if you have Crusade or The Lost Tales. If you do watch it, prepare to shed a tear.

Of course, if you don't really care for science fiction, then pitch it. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 04-14-11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
B5 is one of my prized possessions. You really should watch it. Once they get things set up in Season 1, thinks move along pretty well, it sets up a story arc without completely sacrificing the individual episodes, kind of like X-Files, but the story really pulls you in. I've a feeling you wouldn't regret watching it if you could get past S1. Here's how it should be watched:

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
1st 2 disks of Season 4
Remainder of Season 4
Season 5 (final episode)

The Final episode is negotiable, don't watch it if you have Crusade or The Lost Tales. If you do watch it, prepare to shed a tear.

I concur.
Old 04-08-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
Not buying Mystery Science Theater Vols. 6, 9, and 10
I have 6 and 10.2 but I hate that I didn't buy volume 10.1 and volume 9. I have all the others but I have this hole with no number 9 and it drives me nuts. 10.1 and 9 go for at least $200. There's a Vol 9 for $500 on eBay right now. I refuse to pay more than maybe $60 for one title, so I'm screwed unless I find it at a pawn shop or something.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 04-08-11 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
B5 is one of my prized possessions. You really should watch it. Once they get things set up in Season 1, thinks move along pretty well, it sets up a story arc without completely sacrificing the individual episodes, kind of like X-Files, but the story really pulls you in. I've a feeling you wouldn't regret watching it if you could get past S1. Here's how it should be watched:

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
1st 2 disks of Season 4
Remainder of Season 4
Season 5 (final episode)

I'm a sci-fi fan and don't regret owning the show at all. It's just the coin I paid for it at the time. I've been seeing this thread for a few days, and the reason I happened to think of this purchase was because of a current TV thread talking about B5 and other sci-fi series. I mentioned there that I've started season 1 a couple times but never finished it off. I know the payoff will be there, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
Old 04-11-11, 10:42 PM

I regret that I waited until 2005 to quit buying DVDs.
Old 04-11-11, 11:05 PM

Tales From the Darkside - First, Second and Final Seasons
Masters of Horror - Seaon 1, Volumes 1 & 2
Mr. Show - The Complete First, Second, Third and Fourth Seasons
It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete First Season
The Outer Limits - Volumes One to Three
Old 04-12-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong
Tales From the Darkside - First, Second and Final Seasons
Masters of Horror - Seaon 1, Volumes 1 & 2
Mr. Show - The Complete First, Second, Third and Fourth Seasons
It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete First Season
The Outer Limits - Volumes One to Three
Regret buying or missed buying?
Old 04-12-11, 09:21 PM

Regret buying. You know how stuff sometimes isn't anywhere near as good as you remember? That's how I feel about a lot of those purchases.
Old 04-14-11, 08:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

My only regret is paying so much for some of the first DVDs. Since then I've become a bargain hunter always in search of the best price. But back then I didn't know any better and I regret my ignorance. -kd5-
Old 04-14-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

More regrets:

Not loading up big time back when Big Lots had all those WB tv seasons for 3 bucks each!

Not buying more than one copy of Walt Disney Treasures Zorro at Sam's Club. I could double my money as it quickly went OOP.
Old 04-14-11, 02:16 PM

- Those stupid Warner dvds with snapcases (i.e. Shawshank Redemption and True Romance)
- Not being patient. I always feel the need to jump on new technology and it up spending twice as much (i.e. HD DVD player for $299 that is now a dust collector for the most part, buying a Philips blu-ray player that wouldn't play most of the java-enabled titles without constantly pausing). I've learned my lesson and am now waiting to buy the right 3D HDTV.
- Paying full retail price for blu-rays while stationed at an overseas military base, about $30 a pop!
Old 04-14-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I regret having (read buying) such a great collection of mint (and some unopened) dvd's, the product of many now on some large hard drives.
Old 04-15-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The first thing that came to mind for me was the Seinfeld individual box sets. I just felt cheated when in the end they released the entire series in one. Thats what my loyalty and appreciation of the shows gets me. These days i tend to stay away from single series sets and just wait for the inevitable single collection pack that will be great and give the bird to everyone that bought the individuals.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.