Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no one else has asked their collection to be bashed
Old 11-26-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
no one else has asked their collection to be bashed
Do you mean to say:

no one else has asked their collection to be bashed?
Meaning, why hasn't anyone else asked to have their collection bashed?

no one else has asked their collection to be bashed.
Meaning, I wish to note for the record, that no one else has asked to have their collection bashed.

no one else has asked their collection to be bashed!
Meaning, no one else has asked to have their collection bashed, so just stop it!
Old 11-26-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Do you mean to say:

no one else has asked their collection to be bashed?
Meaning, why hasn't anyone else asked to have their collection bashed?

no one else has asked their collection to be bashed.
Meaning, I wish to note for the record, that no one else has asked to have their collection bashed.

no one else has asked their collection to be bashed!
Meaning, no one else has asked to have their collection bashed, so just stop it!
I find it ammusing when people ask to have their collection rated and you tell them how much you hate/like it and then when they dont like what you say they call you a movie snob.

BTW Yak what part of rockville do you live in, i live in rockville also.
Old 11-26-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm shocked you'd advertise that you had most of that shit. Your collection is so bad that the only reason I got as far as the movies that begin with S is that I was checking to see if you had Sister Act and Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. Considering all of your other bad choices, I was shocked that your collection did not contain the Sister Act movies.
Old 11-26-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Not every movie one owns needs to be a gem. I just bought Into the Blue for $5. It' a forgettable caper film starring Paul Walker and Scott Caan (and Jessica Alba for the straight boys), but I bought it because I am shallow enough to own a film just to ogle the shirtless, muscular men in it.
Old 11-26-07, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Not every movie one owns needs to be a gem. I just bought Into the Blue for $5. It' a forgettable caper film starring Paul Walker and Scott Caan (and Jessica Alba for the straight boys), but I bought it because I am shallow enough to own a film just to ogle the shirtless, muscular men in it.
I believe this situation is different. In this situation, there are one or two gems, and 307 or 308 dogs.
Old 11-26-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I believe this situation is different. In this situation, there are one or two gems, and 307 or 308 dogs.
How would you evaluate my collection?
Old 11-26-07, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
How would you evaluate my collection?
I'd probably pass on movie night at your house, too.

Your collection is much more redeeming than the other guy, but you still have a lot of stuff I'd just have to say no to.
Old 11-26-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got any recommendations for titles I should see?
Frankly, it's pretty damn difficult to hand down any to you. One scary reason is how similar our Asian film collection is. I mean, come on, I don't know anyone that owns 'If You Were Me'. It's not just that, it's the range .. from Last Life in the Universe to 2LDK to Fires on the Plain to Battle Royale. The similarities go on. It's crazy. I can't even recommend the Korean Takeshi Kitano Collection release ffs because you already own it. It's the most comprehensive anamorphic release of Kitano's films. Good stuff.

But, I'll give it a shot even though your Asian film collection (and probably knowledge) surpasses my own. I didn't scour it, so if I mention something already within, well .. so be it.

Based on your Shinya collection, you could always go further into the experimental with works from the like of Yasuzo Masumura (Red Angel - excellent film, Manji and Blind Beast) to the more extreme with Teruo Ishii (Blind Beast vs Killer Dwarf and Horrors of Malformed Men) who was heavily influenced by Edogawa Rampo. The visual effects and editing of both films are worthy enough alone for a viewing.

Combine this with your appreciation of samurai cinema, give Hanzo the Razor its due. It's borderline exploitation but quite clever in delivery as it poses the nature of intent as a question of morality. It's an under-appreciated trilogy.

With respect to samurai films, Hideo Gosha's works are a given (Three Outlaw Samurai, Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron and Goyokin). Also see Fukasaku's Fall of Ako Castle (another take on the 47 Ronin legend)

To round out a few more miscellaneous Japanese films, see Fukasaku's Godfather of Japanese film series (Yakuza Papers), especially if you can appreciate any of his other Yakuza films. Many familiar characters are there. Panorama released a box set of films from Yoshitaro Nomura (The Incident, The Castle in the Sand, Village of Eight Gravestones and Writhing Tongue). The director is mostly known for his crime dramas and Castle (the only film that I've seen of the group) was quite well done at that. Joze, the Tiger and the Fish is an unusual romance drama between a self proclaimed stud and a crippled girl. There's more meaning presented in a two minute long segment than most films that I've seen in quite some time. Taste of Tea (quirky comedy/drama) is a must see. And if you enjoyed Vibrator seek out Hiroki's earlier works (Tokyo Trash Baby and I am an S+M Writer).

As for Korean films - buy the Lee Dong Chang boxset immediately (Oasis - absolutely phenomenal acting, Green Fish - the weakest of the three and Peppermint Candy).

Next check out the General's Son trilogy from Im Kwon Taek (one of Korea's most reputable directors). Period centered joPok film right around the time of Japanese occupation. It's of varying quality, but the set designs and story structure are both amazing. It's based on true events.

Cruel Winter Blues an absolutely under-appreciated gem. A brutally natured lone wolf joPok lieutenant travels from Seoul to a rural town to assassinate the leader of a rival faction. There he meets the leader's mother and where the story takes an unusual spin. Does he carry out his duty or instead find redemption? Extremely well acted and interesting film.

And an honorable mention would go out to Tell Me Something. It's a very good suspense thriller revolving around a detective hunting down a serial killer.

Considering the length, I would say if you would like any specifics just PM me.

Sorry for the thread derailment all ....

Last edited by visitor Q; 11-26-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the recommendations visitor Q. I think our collections are even more similar than you know. Of the titles you recommended, I own Red Angel, Blind Beast, Yakuza Papers, and the Lee Dong Chang box set. I’ve also seen Manji, Three Outlaw Samurai, and Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron.

The Yoshitaro Nomura box set sounds immediately very interesting, and I’m a Shintaro Katsu fan so I’ve been meaning to check out the Hanzo the Razor box set for some time. I’ll look into the other titles too and see what may appeal to me. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-07, 03:44 AM

I find this thread funny. It's like the Friar's Club Roast of DVDTalkers.
Old 11-27-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Korean cinema is sadly underrepresented in the US. Some of their best films, like The Day the Pig Fell Down the Well, Two Cops, A Ginkgo Bed, A Petal, Sopyonje, and Taebaek Sanmaek, (movies I saw at the cinema when I lived in Seoul during the 90s) are not available in R1. Thanks to this thread, I discovered that Im Kwon-Taek released a new p'ansori movie, Beyond the Years, last April, and that a new movie about the Kwangju Massacre is coming out.

I really appreciate the titles that people have suggested in this thread, which will lead to more purchases down the road.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-27-07 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-07, 03:00 PM

Yakuza Bengoshi is a troll, Don't feed the troll.

He been selling all of his dvd's for a long time now. He has something against collecting dvd's.

Battle Royal 2 was a great movie you a$$, but the first one was better.
Old 11-27-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There’s a little good, and lots of bland and bad there. You do know, for example, that just because you liked Battle Royale doesn’t mean you have to buy Battle Royale II right? I’d rate your collection a D-, but I don’t watch my DVDs stoned so don’t go by my opinion.
Really? You mean I don't have to buy sequels to films I enjoyed? Thank you, good sir. Now I can rid my collection of every sequel I bought that I thought I liked, not that I'm defending BR2. I'm sorry, but a D-? I highly doubt you even looked past the first page. But it's ok. Not everyone on here can be an esteemed cinephile such as yourself. And being stoned has no influence on what I think is and isn't a good movie.

Last edited by islandclaws; 11-27-07 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I highly doubt you even looked past the first page.
I most certainly did look past the first page, but I couldn't very well distinguish Young Guns I from Young Guns II when they're both bad/bland could I? (Edit to add, you do realize the Battle Royale II is on page 6 of your collection under the default view, and only appears on the first page when 500 or more titles are selected right?)

Not everyone on here can be an esteemed cinephile such as yourself.
I wouldn't say that I'm esteemed, but I would agree I'm a cinephile. I think you're mistaken to believe that not everyone on here could be a "cinephile such as myself" (whatever that means to you exactly) if they really wanted to, but okay say you're right, so what follows from this? In other words, what's your point?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-27-07 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

Really? You mean I don't have to buy sequels to films I enjoyed? Thank you, good sir. Now I can rid my collection of every sequel I bought that I thought I liked, not that I'm defending BR2. I'm sorry, but a D-? I highly doubt you even looked past the first page. But it's ok. Not everyone on here can be an esteemed cinephile such as yourself. And being stoned has no influence on what I think is and isn't a good movie.
That response from Yakuza about you owning BR-2 annoyed the hell out of me.
(I haven't even seen BR-2, but that's NOT the issue).

Yakuza, I'm sure you think you're a fella with unparalleled taste in films.

Questions ;

1. Why do you respond to every poster that says; "please let me know what you think of my collection" ? (I don't think anyone asked you specifically, or did they).
I mean really. We know you look down on all the non-arthouse films. Why bother ? Do you feel good doing that ? Do you get a kick out of telling fellow forum members their collections are pure crap?

2. Why do you think people shouldn't buy films that aren't up to your standard ? (See your response to KillerCannabis's Battle Royale 2 disc).

If people say you're a snob, they're absolutely right, because that's exactly what you are.

And oh, do watch Nicolas Roeg's Eureka, it's a great film.
(Oh sorry, i forgot some New York movie critic said it wasn't up to par.
Maybe I should toss my DVD of it in the trashcan now).

Last edited by Elemental; 11-27-07 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 06:17 PM

Yakuza's collection certainly is impressive. Not many weak links that is for certain. I am pretty surprised I have some things he doesn't have listed there (well, of things that are 'cinephile' like). May have just missed it but that somewhat made me feel good.
Old 11-27-07, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I'm shocked you'd advertise that you had most of that shit. Your collection is so bad that the only reason I got as far as the movies that begin with S is that I was checking to see if you had Sister Act and Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. Considering all of your other bad choices, I was shocked that your collection did not contain the Sister Act movies.
You talking about my collection? If so, I find it sad that you can get worked up that over somebody's DVD collection.
Old 11-27-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by THFM
Everybody calm down, it's not that big of deal if somebody on the net bothers you I can't imagine your guys temper in real life. Calm down.
I take back what I said about nobody being upset. You were right. Some people do seem to be a bit hot under the collar.

Originally Posted by Elemental
Yakuza, I'm sure you think you're a fella with unparalleled taste in films.
Not unparalleled, but I know what I like.

Why do you respond to every poster that says; "please let me know what you think of my collection" ?
Because they asked, and I’m generally willing to help people out if it doesn't do me any harm, just as I’m helping out you by answering your questions. If any had said, or says in the future, “except Yakuza Bengoshi,” then I certainly would/will abstain from rating those collections.

(I don't think anyone asked you specifically, or did they).
Yes, at least one poster did specially ask me.

I mean really.
Yes, really.

We know you look down on all the non-arthouse films.
I generally (but not always) am disappointed by mainstream Hollywood films, but I can admire genre collections composed of things other than art-house films even when they’re things I wouldn’t want to see myself. I said as much on page 8 of this thread about zombeaner’s collection.

Why bother ?
See above, the first time you asked this question.

Do you feel good doing that ?
Doing what? Responding to “rate my collection” requests? I suppose I feel good about being responsive to requests from fellow human beings.

Do you get a kick out of telling fellow forum members their collections are pure crap?
I feel neither especially good nor bad about it. I gave high marks to collections that I think are good, and low marks to collections that I think are bad.

Why do you think people shouldn't buy films that aren't up to your standard ? (See your response to KillerCannabis's Battle Royale 2 disc).
People can buy whatever they like, but that’s no bar to me questioning a specific purchase is it?

If people call you a filmsnob, they're absolutely right, because that's exactly what you are.
That reads like a personal attack to me which, I believe, are prohibited on this site. I challenge you to find a single ad hominem attack by me against anyone in this thread.

And oh, do watch Nicolas Roeg's Eureka, it's a great film.
(Oh sorry, i forgot some New York movie critics said it wasn't up to par. Maybe I should toss my DVD of it in the trashcan now).
You’re still upset about me calling it questionable? I told you that I hadn’t seen it and that I didn’t know whether it was good or bad. Maybe you should switch to decaf.

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
Yakuza's collection certainly is impressive. Not many weak links that is for certain.
Thanks.

I am pretty surprised I have some things he doesn't have listed there (well, of things that are 'cinephile' like). May have just missed it but that somewhat made me feel good.
I aim to please. You do have a great collection and there are several titles there that I have on my Netflix queue to check out before making a purchasing decision. If you'd asked to have your collection rated, I'd have given you very high marks. In fact, were I to compare a random sample of my collection against a random sample of yours, I might just like yours better.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-27-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 06:56 PM

That might be the most quote responses I have seen in a single post.
Old 11-27-07, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by THFM
You talking about my collection? If so, I find it sad that you can get worked up that over somebody's DVD collection.
Worked up? How did you conclude that I was worked up?

You asked us to rate your collection. Your collection basically sucks, as far as my tastes are concerned. If you like it, thats really all that matters.

BTW you need to add Sister Act 1 & 2 to your collection to make it more complete. If you have not seen those movies yet, I have concluded that they are right up your alley.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 11-27-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haaa, I got an A from the guy so he has my permission to snob away all he wants ....

I'm just joking, really. ... as was I when I asked for a review. I don't really care about the feedback simply due to the fact that if all I were to collect films like Battle Royale 2, Baise Moi, Ernest Goes to Hollywood or anything with Ben Affleck in it (which in my personal opinion is all garbage) ..... but if I thought otherwise about said films, being passionate about them, why the Hell should I care what one person thinks!? Seriously. The only thing I would be somewhat fearful of is that if my tastes were so bad that I no one to watch or discuss the films with. But even then there is niche for any film made.

However the one defense that I could reason with is that the responses have not seemed to be on the constructive side. I'm sure most take some personal pride in their collection of films and by throwing them out there to the dogs expect something .. well what exactly, positive reinforcement, recommendations?

Either way, deal with the criticism or block the user. The site does give you that peace of mind.
Old 11-27-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In other words, what's your point?
My point is that every great film isn't a French art-house drama, or a Japanese love story or released by Criterion. Briefly overviewing your collection it seems that you hardly have any good, fun films in your collection. Sure, I love Bergman as much as the next avid cinema-lover, but you need to strike a balance somewhere. You seem to have a holier-than-thou approach to rating collections, as though unless they're all full of foreign art-house films you seem to prefer then they're no good.

Wait, I just thought of something... why the fuck is this guy rating everyone's collection? When did he become the yardstick? I thought this was to rate the collection of the person above you, not to ask the DVD God what he thinks. (Edit:Actually, he seems to be taking it upon himself to rate everyone else's collection. Maybe we could stick to the original premise and have only the bottom poster rate the previous one's?)
Old 11-27-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My point is that every great film isn't a French art-house drama, or a Japanese love story or released by Criterion.
That's your point? You've labeled my interests too narrowly. I love American art-house, some Korean love stories, and releases by Eureka's Masters of Cinema label too.

Briefly overviewing your collection it seems that you hardly have any good, fun films in your collection.
If you don't think that the 20+ Zatoichi discs and the Lord of the Rings trilogy is good popcorn fun then that's your loss.

Sure, I love Bergman as much as the next avid cinema-lover, but you need to strike a balance somewhere.
I don't have a good Bergman balance?

You seem to have a holier-than-thou approach to rating collections, as though unless they're all full of foreign art-house films you seem to prefer then they're no good.
Do you actually read any of my posts other than when they include your username? See my response to Elemental above.

Wait, I just thought of something... why the fuck is this guy rating everyone's collection?
You just thought of that? Put down the pipe and read my response to Elemental above.

When did he become the yardstick?
Refer to the disclaimer's in my original response to your request to have your collection rated. Wait, that may be a bit much to ask of you so I'll be nice and list them again now:

Disclaimer #1: I don't know you and I don't know whether you actually want to see the opinions of every random person that makes their way to this thread or you simply want people to tell you that they share your tastes, but I'm going to assume you want my honest opinion.

Disclaimer #2: Of course all that is just my opinion, and you're entitled to your own opinion, and who do I think I am anyway, and what about me owning X, Y, and Z titles that suck ass, and yada, yada, yada, ad infinitum . . .

I thought this was to rate the collection of the person above you,
Where'd you get that idea?

not to ask the DVD God what he thinks.
*Sigh* Well at least you're not calling me an a$$, so I suppose that's something.

Actually, he seems to be taking it upon himself to rate everyone else's collection.
You're starting to catch up. I only explained that about an hour ago. Please do try to read the other posts in this thread.

Maybe we could stick to the original premise and have only the bottom poster rate the previous one's?
Well I certainly agree we should do that, if that were the premise of this thread, but it's not. If that's something you're interested in, maybe you should start or revive a thread like that.
Old 11-27-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just out of sheer curiousity: doesn't all that quoting get tiring?

I'm not going to even try to rebuff any of your responses because my hand would cramp up. Sure, Zatoichi and LotR are fun, but I'm talking fun in a Coming to America/C.H.U.D./Chuck Norris flick type of way; something your collection seems to know nothing about. Watch Lone Wolf McQuade and then tell me you didn't have a damn good time doing so. There are no emotional scenes of a woman dealing with rape or someone dying from cancer, but I think you might find yourself enjoying it.

And re: your last quote. Previous threads have had the bottom poster rate the top's collection so I assumed this one was followwing suit. My bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.