Reload this Page >

Rate My DVD Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Old 11-27-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Just out of sheer curiousity: doesn't all that quoting get tiring?
Your mind does wander to and fro, does it not? In answer to your question, no not really. Answering the same questions repeatedly does though.

I'm not going to even try to rebuff any of your responses because my hand would cramp up.
Your hand would cramp up if you tried to rebuff my responses? Is there something physically wrong with your hands?

Sure, Zatoichi and LotR are fun, but I'm talking fun in a Coming to America/C.H.U.D./Chuck Norris flick type of way;
Then no, my collection does not contain fun titles, if those titles are the standard for fun.

something your collection seems to know nothing about.
Yes, my collection is clueless in this regard.

Watch Lone Wolf McQuade and then tell me you didn't have a damn good time doing so.
As I responded to Elemental, Iím generally willing to help people out if it doesn't do me any harm, but that's asking a bit much. I've seen several things with Norris in them and didn't care for any of them. Nothing I've read about this film leads me to believe it would be any better.

There are no emotional scenes of a woman dealing with rape or someone dying from cancer,
That's an interesting observation. Do you think there's more rape scenes in my collection than yours, title for title, or just more scenes of women "dealing" with it?

but I think you might find yourself enjoying it.
Could be, but we'll never know.

And re: your last quote. Previous threads have had the bottom poster rate the top's collection so I assumed this one was followwing suit. My bad.
Yeah, those assumptions will bite you in the ass in you're not careful.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-27-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Worked up? How did you conclude that I was worked up?

You asked us to rate your collection. Your collection basically sucks, as far as my tastes are concerned. If you like it, thats really all that matters.

BTW you need to add Sister Act 1 & 2 to your collection to make it more complete. If you have not seen those movies yet, I have concluded that they are right up your alley.
Honestly go back and read what you wrote, I dont' imagine somebody saying that while being calm.
Old 11-28-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts
Why are posters being so unpleasant to the Gang Lawyer? (Yakuza Bengoshi, as was).
You asked for an opinion; you got one. He doesn't like my collection, either. And that's fine. It would be a sad old world if all our tastes were the same. I would love to own the titles that he and Visitor Q own, but with student loans and a monthly house payment, I just can't afford it. However, I've bookmarked their collections so that I will have a nearly inexhaustible Netflix queue of interesting films to watch.

Seriously, folks, this is not an occasion to be defensive about your choices, but to learn about heretofore unfamiliar films. I'm grateful to Yakuza Bengoshi for his insights and suggestions on new directors and films.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-28-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-28-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Yakuza... Please rate mine... And be as brutal and honest as you want!! My feelings wont get hurt
Old 11-28-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Hey Yakuza... Please rate mine... And be as brutal and honest as you want!! My feelings wont get hurt
I'd give it a B-. You have a lot of horror titles that aren't Hollywood's usual suspects, but you have an underrepresentation of foreign horror, especially the classics of Japanese horror. You have a moderate number of very good titles there, but not much of anything before 1970 except American Film Noir which is well-represented and a few horror classics. Beyond all this, you have your share of bad/bland Hollywood films.

If you liked Ju-on and Ringu, try Dark Water and Ju-on 2. If you want to try some classics check out Kwaidan and Onibaba. If you like Indie comedies like Clerks and Slackers, try the films of Andrew Bujalski. Everyone should see the Indie films of John Cassavetes so I'd recommend based on your Film Noir interest trying The Killing of a Chinese Bookie as your entry point. Regards.
Old 11-28-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rate Yakuza Bengoshi collection

http://yakuza-bengoshi.dvdaf.com/

You like a little of the magical girl shows I see, lots of artsy crap from europe, bunch of old films that no one cares about.

I give your collection an F+
Old 11-28-07, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
somebody rate mine too while youre at it..Ill give mine a C+
Old 11-28-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Knives
Why are you posting, and when will do you except to quit posting?
Yakuza Bengoshi you don't seem to enjoy dvds anymore. Do you have depression?
Why are so negative man, why don't you dump all your dvd's in a lake.
Yakuza Bengoshi is a troll, Don't feed the troll.

He been selling all of his dvd's for a long time now. He has something against collecting dvd's.

Battle Royal 2 was a great movie you a$$, but the first one was better.
Rate Yakuza Bengoshi collection

http://yakuza-bengoshi.dvdaf.com/

You like a little of the magical girl shows I see, lots of artsy crap from europe, bunch of old films that no one cares about.

I give your collection an F+

Knives, I have no doubt that you're a really nice kid in person, and I really am flattered that you've taken such an interest in me that you want to follow me from thread to thread trying to get my attention. It's cute. However, it's also a little creepy. I don't think I can provide you the level of attention you're looking for. I'd recommend trying to find someone in your own area that can help. You might find what you're looking for here. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-28-07, 02:36 PM

F+? If you're giving grades that don't exist, why not an E

Yakuza's collection is the first one I've clicked on in this thread that didn't result in my just rolling my eyes and closing the window.

Last edited by domino harvey; 11-28-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 03:03 PM

This thread is getting out of hand...
Old 11-28-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by THFM
Check my sig for link!
I give it a C-
Old 11-28-07, 03:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by slymer
I give it a C-
Loving your collection slymer
Old 11-28-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieBarneyDieNY
somebody rate mine too while youre at it..Ill give mine a C+
The Essential Ernest Collection? I didn't know such a thing existed - A Plus!
Old 11-28-07, 04:52 PM

Yakuza wants to be the next Roger Ebert!

That's so cute!

Well, I'll let you continue to poop on everyone's dvd collection, we all know like yours is any better!

LOL!

Last edited by Knives; 11-28-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 06:04 PM

Everyone rate my collection too! I don't normally participate in this stuff, but I'm very bored tonight.

A note about my collection: I have very ecclectic tastes in movies, but I still consider my taste "good." Some people, however, will probably be turned off for my guilty pleasure of cheesy zombie movies. But don't worry, there are plenty of Criterions and the like in there too
Old 11-28-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THFM, there's a lot in your collection I like and also have in my collection. If I was locked in your house and stuck watching your collection, there's a lot which would keep me occupied for weeks of viewing. I have the Friday the 13th films, the Matrix films, Sleepaway Camps, South Park seasons, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, Nightmare on Elm Streets, Roger Rabbit, Saw Trilogy, Clockwork Orange, Drop Dead Fred, Exorcist, Goonies, Ghostbusters, House of Wax, etc., so a lot in common.

I was suprised no Star Wars or Lord of the Rings movies and you have Osama, which doesn't seem to fit your collection. Not many musical DVDs, apart from Little Shop of Horrors. Barely any Disney or animated films. You have Lilo and Stitch but no Beauty and the Beast?

Your collection also gave me ideas for things I can add to my collection:
Adventures in Babysitting, American Psycho, Bad Santa, The Cable Guy, Caddyshack I & II, The Craft, Dead Alive, Dumb and Dumber, Garbage Pail Kids the Movie, Gingerbread Man, Great Outdoors, Harry and the Hendersons, Hot Shots 1 & 2, Major League 1 & 2, National Lampoon Vacation films, Scrooged, Stay Tuned, They Live, The Toy
Old 11-28-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ill give mine a C+
What is it about your collection that you don't like?
Old 11-28-07, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by caiman
Everyone rate my collection too! I don't normally participate in this stuff, but I'm very bored tonight.

A note about my collection: I have very ecclectic tastes in movies, but I still consider my taste "good." Some people, however, will probably be turned off for my guilty pleasure of cheesy zombie movies. But don't worry, there are plenty of Criterions and the like in there too
yup I agree there, while missing some good old movies and owning some blah movies, still some to enjoy! I'd give it a B-

Last edited by Frenzal Rhomb; 11-28-07 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
The Essential Ernest Collection? I didn't know such a thing existed - A Plus!
One could argue that all of Ernest's films are essential.
Old 11-28-07, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
What is it about your collection that you don't like?

Too many "Mainstream" films I dunno. I personally like my collection
Old 11-28-07, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
THFM, there's a lot in your collection I like and also have in my collection. If I was locked in your house and stuck watching your collection, there's a lot which would keep me occupied for weeks of viewing. I have the Friday the 13th films, the Matrix films, Sleepaway Camps, South Park seasons, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, Nightmare on Elm Streets, Roger Rabbit, Saw Trilogy, Clockwork Orange, Drop Dead Fred, Exorcist, Goonies, Ghostbusters, House of Wax, etc., so a lot in common.

I was suprised no Star Wars or Lord of the Rings movies and you have Osama, which doesn't seem to fit your collection. Not many musical DVDs, apart from Little Shop of Horrors. Barely any Disney or animated films. You have Lilo and Stitch but no Beauty and the Beast?

Your collection also gave me ideas for things I can add to my collection:
Adventures in Babysitting, American Psycho, Bad Santa, The Cable Guy, Caddyshack I & II, The Craft, Dead Alive, Dumb and Dumber, Garbage Pail Kids the Movie, Gingerbread Man, Great Outdoors, Harry and the Hendersons, Hot Shots 1 & 2, Major League 1 & 2, National Lampoon Vacation films, Scrooged, Stay Tuned, They Live, The Toy
Yes your collection is nice and I agree we have a lot in common. I added new DVD's to my collection that you guys will hate some more:

Ice Cream Man
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Back to the Beach
Old 11-28-07, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
yup I agree there, while missing some good old movies and owning some blah movies, still some to enjoy! I'd give it a B-
Out of curiosity, which ones do you consider blah?
Old 11-29-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Too many "Mainstream" films I dunno.
I'd agree with that assessment. Looking through your collection reminds me of browsing the aisles at Best Buy.

I personally like my collection
You should give yourself an A then.
Old 11-29-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Your mind does wander to and fro, does it not? In answer to your question, no not really. Answering the same questions repeatedly does though.

Your hand would cramp up if you tried to rebuff my responses? Is there something physically wrong with your hands?

Then no, my collection does not contain fun titles, if those titles are the standard for fun.

Yes, my collection is clueless in this regard.

As I responded to Elemental, Iím generally willing to help people out if it doesn't do me any harm, but that's asking a bit much. I've seen several things with Norris in them and didn't care for any of them. Nothing I've read about this film leads me to believe it would be any better.

That's an interesting observation. Do you think there's more rape scenes in my collection than yours, title for title, or just more scenes of women "dealing" with it?

Could be, but we'll never know.

Yeah, those assumptions will bite you in the ass in you're not careful.
Oh, Yakuza you make me laugh so much. I love how you take every single word I write completely literally and then respond directly to it. You're not too good at picking up on subtle humor are you?

::awaits your semi-sarcastic witless response::
Old 11-29-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Oh, Yakuza you make me laugh so much.
[semi-sarcastic witless response] Since you've chastised me for taking your statements literally, I assume this is your "subtle humor" to which you referred. Seems more like base mockery to me, but either way, okay, let's proceed. [/semi-sarcastic witless response]

I love how you take every single word I write completely literally and then respond directly to it.
[semi-sarcastic witless response] Then you'll love this response. Wait. Is that more "subtle humor" meant to suggest something other than what's stated? How coy and clever you are at stating things you don't mean. Kudos to you, Sir. I'll refrain from taking you seriously from now on. [/semi-sarcastic witless response]

You're not too good at picking up on subtle humor are you?
[semi-sarcastic witless response] Apparently not. Now that you've unearthed my deficiency in this regard, I do hope you won't continue to exploit it for the sake of mere amusement. [/semi-sarcastic witless response]

::awaits your semi-sarcastic witless response::
Pleased?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.