Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Old 11-01-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Although it's still a few hours out here in the west coast before Nov. 1st finally arrives, I reached my goal of 100 (Although not really a desired goal) and decided to round up my annual "Best/Worst of" lists.

Once again, films I saw for the first time and loved:

Challenge #1:
1.Pin
2.The Body Snatcher
3.Society
4.The Innocents
5.Rabid

Challenge #2:
1.Devil's Nightmare
2.The Old Dark House (Original)
3.Horror Hotel
4.House of Usher
5.Deep Red

Challenge #3:
1.House of 9
2.The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
3.Eyes Without a Face
4.The Black Cat (1934)
5.Zombie Honeymoon

Worst Movie(s)
Ghost Ships of the Blind Dead-No comment
5ive Girls-Too bad this wasn't made in the 70's
Watch me when I kill-Zzzzzz
I Eat Your Skin-No skin ever gets eaten, but you probably already knew that by now.

Biggest Surprise (positive)
Zombies on Broadway-Not a big fan of horror comedies (Just never could chuckle along with those Abbot/Costello fright flicks) but I surprisingly dug this one. LOL'd at the "Zombie Monkey"
Runner-up:
Sex Medusa-It's shot on video ala plenty of J-Horror flicks. And maybe that's the reason why everyone hates it because Hong Kong movies aren't supposed to look this way. Nevertheless, I gave this a shot and and was surprised by the depth of the story. Sure, the cheapness is a mighty distraction, but in no way is it bad as all the reviews say.
Honorable mention:
Mimic 3-Sentinel-No, this wasn't really a good movie, but I was VERY surprised at it's 77 minute length!!!!

Biggest Disappointment
Street Trash-Started out brilliantly, but then the plot shifted gears somewhere in the middle and had to remind myself on what this movie was about. By the time it came back on track...Too late.
The Brainiac-Thought I would love it since it was billed as "The weirdest monster movie ever made". Though the appearance of the monster was certainly strange, the plot was quite ordinary.

Best "Better on a 2nd viewing" movie
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2-It's been 22 years(!) since I've last seen this movie. Needless to say, I HATED it when I first saw it on it's VHS debut and kept a mighty grudge against it for the following years. But in the wake of the 2000 remakes, could this possibly be worse? Glad to say...No. Though this still doesn't creep up to the original (My favorite horror film of all time) I could catch some demented wink-winks in this one and gotta say what a blast it was to see "The Cook" one last time again.
Honorable mention:
Howling II: ...Your Sister Is a Werewolf-So bad that it's starting to be EXCELLENT!

"WTF did I just watch?"
3-Way tie with this one:
The Ghastly Ones/Black Candles/Creature From The Haunted Sea
Don't be mislead by that last title. That was one bizzarre-ASS movie!

And since I went with some "risque" additions for my horror-challenge this time around, I made a reward for a category regarding some certain features:
Spoiler:
Best Boobage Award
That would be Jess Franco's Devil Hunter! Though the DVD copy I saw came equipped with digitalized-foggy inserts for nudity in other areas, There was no covering of those total 16 honkers!
Runner-Up
Sleepaway Camp 3-Teenage Wasteland for the best lookin' faces and bodies to go with them Smith & Wessons!

So once again, it all comes to an end, but damned if I didn't have a much more enjoyable time with this marathon in '07! Could it possibly be eclipsed the next time around? We shall see. 'Til then, props to Chad and you fellow horror nuts for making this an annual treat for me.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-01-07 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i just tied up my 110th movie with a wildcard watching 3 hours of ghost hunters live.

now i got stuck on the graveyard shift tonight at my job...i brought a stack of horror classic horror movies i havent gotten around to yet to finish off the marathon...HOWEVER at my job...you randomly hear drums *war drum type* in certain spots of the house but once you leave that general area theyre gone till you re enter the room. Iv been here over a year and iv heard it 5 times so far. I had to turn off the last hour of ghost hunters bc i heard them in the living room. now i have austin powers on trying to not get freaked out as i have 6 more hours of work.

paranorma or the is watching 110 horror movies this month finally catching up...
Old 11-01-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it was my first go-round with the challenge, and I hit 111 without going insane....actually had a pretty awesome time and watched a bunch of new stuff. I must say it was a bit manic at times though, and I can't even imagine how some folks were able to commit to watching the insane numbers they watched. I suspect we must have some insomniacs here, but I was able to pull off my goal of 100 without losing much sleep. It's been fun. Now I have to go remember what a non-horror movie looks like.
Old 11-01-07, 05:47 AM

hope everyone had a blast. i didn't watch any horror films the last 3 days of the challenge - got the job i mentioned i was after
Old 11-01-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just finished up my list with the 3 things I watched in bed last night. I can now watch tons of movies as usual but without them all being horror.

I also met my second goal of doubling my original goal.
Old 11-01-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Posted my final list... 34 in total. Like I said in my list, the playoffs and WS put a dent in my viewing as well as some trips at the end of the month.
Old 11-01-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I managed to hit 25. Not bad considering most of my time is devoted to school, work, gym and my gf. I watched a mix of old faves and new flicks. I ended on a high note by watching The Wolf Man at 10:30 last night. I'm already looking forward to ramping up my queue for next year.
Old 11-01-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
just came out of my coma to posy my final list. back to bed
i go.,
Old 11-01-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Posted my final list. I hit 108. I really dropped off at the end, because I had a huge report due for school, and I started working a lot. I didn't reach my original goal of 120, and I didn't get to use my wildcards. Oh well, there's always next year

Happy Halloween
Old 11-01-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was able to watch 22. Two over my orginal goal. This contest has been fun. I have really enjoyed looking at everyones lists. I started pretty strong, but got very busy about halfway through. Oh well, I had a good time.

I can't wait for the Holiday Movie challenge!
Old 11-01-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tied my record of 7. If I don't win this year, that's IT. This thing is rigged and I'm not playing anymore!
Old 11-01-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

57 for me. I isn't a winning number at all, but it sure was fun.
Old 11-01-07, 01:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I originally hoped to hit 100, cut back to 31 when I realized that the NFL plays in October, but then ended up getting obsessed with it and watching more movies than I thought humanely possibly.

I still did a few non-horror things, but pretty much turned all my free time into DVD watching. I also slept a little bit less than normal, and also used down time at work to watch a couple/few a day.

That said, the more I think about this, I won't go for more than 100 ever again. It just isn't healthy to devote this much time to one non-important task, at least for me.

I generally picked my shorter films, and still averaged about 8 hours of viewing per day. I know that isn't healthy, so I fear for those of you who watched more than I. You should definitely be participating in this thread, what happens to your DVD collection if you die.

I took the attitude that this was a one time event for me, a single month where I choose to test my limits. I'm glad I did it, and almost wish that I had tried a little bit harder and gone for 200. It would have been fairly easy, just taking an extra two days off of work and watching all my shorter films. It was great to see a lot of my unopened collection.

It actually might be a two-time event, as I have always collected Christmas films, and might try for 100 in that event later this month.

I'll again say how much darn fun this was, and thank you all for making it a group event. I'll be back for it next year, but will go for quality over quantity.
Old 11-01-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i watched a whopping 11 films this year. A far cry from what I viewed last year. Oh well, there's always next year. Hopefully I won't be working as much next October.
Old 11-01-07, 02:12 PM

Well, I made it all the way to 138 for my first challenge, whee! Sadly, I didn't watch nearly as many new-to-me movies as I'd planned to. Next year I need to make a point of including at least one every day. I also came up with far more themed sets of movies than there were days in October, so I've got a bunch left over for next time. One of them was "Movies That Still Aren't On DVD, Dammit" -- we'll see how many are still on the list by next October.
Old 11-01-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
That said, the more I think about this, I won't go for more than 100 ever again. It just isn't healthy to devote this much time to one non-important task, at least for me.
I have months were I normally watch more than 100, but next time I won't be doing what I did this month.

I'll do an actor connection type thing next year and that will be more of my focus instead of shooting for numbers while going through my dvd backlog. This assumes if I have no backlog next time, then I'll try and shoot through what I can again.
Old 11-01-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Well, I'm happy to say I've officially met my goal of surpassing (by 22) last year's total. Of course it wouldn't have been possible without a few sacrifices of the non-human kind:

-No network television. The Simpsons and American Dad were literally the only two non-qualifying TV shows I caught during the entire month. Needless to say, my TiVo hard drive is about ready to implode! Quite a few TCM leftovers as well.
-Lack of sleep. And yes, I have the bags under my eyes to prove it!

Regrets:
a) Not taking the time to give mini-reviews/ratings. Then again, every year it's the same 'ol story!
b) Neglecting to post more in the main thread.
c) The inclusion of more movies that are new to me. Although 62 out of 153 isn't half bad.

A few last minute lists (slightly influenced by Mondo Kane's thread above ):

It's Cheesetastic!
Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare - Quite possibly the cheesiest '80s flick EVER!
Honorable Mention: Don't Go Near the Park

Biggest Disappointments
Manhattan Baby - Coincidentally, I've also learned to never watch anything from Lucio Fulci or [to a lesser degree] David Cronenberg when not in a certain mood. Big fan of both of their works, but goddammit if their films aren't capable of putting you in the worst state of depression!
Satan's Playground - Ellen Sandweiss has held up incredibly well over the years!
I Walked with a Zombie - The one Val Lewton film I don't care for.
Burnt Offerings - Nothing really happened. And the ending was a huge (and predictable) letdown.
The Soul of a Monster - Was apparently funded by The Christian Science Monitor.
Aswang

More enjoyable upon the 2nd viewing
Street Trash - Watched it for the first time during last year's challenge and almost regretted buying it. Thankfully a second chance was given.
Deadly Friend - Originally caught it on TNT's "MonsterVision with Joe Bob Briggs".

Most impressive first-time viewing
The Burning ~ Meatballs + F13 = The Burning. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just another typical generic '80s F13/campground slasher clones.
The Blind Dead Series (with the exception of The Ghost Galleon) - Despite the almost total lack of continuity between films. And can someone explain why:

Spoiler:
1. Originally it was stated that the eyes were pecked out by crows, but in part 2 they were burned with torches.

2. In the first film the city was completely empty. Yet, in the second one it was literally crawling with inhabitants.

3. Why/how are the horses dead and without eyes too??

Perhaps just a bit too much thought is being put into this.

The Host
From Beyond
Severance
Devil Doll
Fido

Imagine My Surprise! (aka "holy shit, I actually enjoyed that!")
Shadow: Dead Riot - A women's prison film infested with zombies and a little kung fu action thrown in. 'Nough said.
Dr. Giggles - A rarity in that it's one of the only '90s slashers to not completely blow.
Alligator
Scarecrows
Night of the Demons 2

Homicidal

WTF?! (Second viewing required)
Horrors of Malformed Men

Hours of Sleep Lost
Roughly 60 hours total.

Last edited by Chad; 11-01-07 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I hit a nice 86 this year, 8 more than last year! I'm quite happy with this.

Don't forget about the 3rd annual Holiday Movie Challenge!
Old 11-01-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

101 this year. Not as large a total as I had aimed for, but still pretty solid. Netflix really came in handy - was able to rent sixteen films I had never seen before. Also, good lookin' out to Family Video, from whom I was able to purchase dreck like Deadly Friend and The Burning for minimal monetary discomfort.
Old 11-01-07, 05:30 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I got to 128, which is about where I thought I'd get. I had 70 first-time views -- I'd set a goal of 50% new and reached 54.7%, so I guess that's a triumph.

Thanks again to Chad and caligulathegod for setting up the challenge and the guidelines. It's been great participating again this year, but as usual I'm looking forward to a few non-horror choices.
Old 11-02-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I did 1 better than last year (which was 30), but nowhere near what I hoped to reach. Still unwatched are the Hammer,Vincent Price and Bava box sets I was looking forward to diving into. Funny thing is, I ended up cramming the last 14 in the last two days of the month (with admittedly shorter films), while it took me 29 days to watch the first 17!

Between baseball, college football, and the annual ramping up of my workload, it appears that October is, for me, a bad month for movie challenges.

My list:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=67l

Last edited by mike7162; 11-02-07 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 03:15 AM

BEST
Horrors of Malformed Men (1969, Teruo Ishii)

WORST
Deadly Friend (1986, Wes Craven)

The Return of Dracula (1958, Paul Landres)

Biggest Disappointment
Audition (1999, Takashi Miike)

KISS in Attack of the Phantoms (1978, Gordon Hessler)

"WTF did I just watch?"
The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001, Takashi Miike)
Old 11-02-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
It's over and though I had a blast this was a very, very taxing jaunt through horror this time out tripling what I watched last year due to an abundance of time. No regrets, though. I got to watch everything I had wanted to get to and then some with the help of other's lists for suggestions. My goal was to watch some Japanese horror flicks being here in Japan and I hammered out some good ones. I doubt there is anyway I am going to get close to what I did this year. Right now, after about 15 hours of sleep, I am gazing at the list and saying "my god, what have I done!" Thank you all for putting up some interesting films in your lists to pick off and a special thanks to Fusion for keeping a race going and pushing me into insanity. Here's to next year and thank you, as always, Chad for doing such a great job. I'm now going to steal your idea:

It's Cheesetastic!
Killer Klowns From Outer Space - I can't believe I'd never seen this. It looked bad going in but it lapped itself and turned back into good. Super fun helping of cheese!
Honorable Mention: The Little Shop of Horrors

Biggest Disappointments
Saw 4: The magic is seeping out of this series and this one left me more confused then shocked by the ending twists. It's time to put this puzzle back in the attic.
Masters of Horror: As a whole, the series should have been much, much better then it was.
From Hell: Having read the graphic novel I just expected more.

More enjoyable upon the 2nd viewing
Fright Night: Last year I watched this for the first time and wasn't impressed. This year I had more fun with it.

Most impressive first-time viewing
Kwaidan: This is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. ghosts and all!

Imagine My Surprise! (aka "holy shit, I actually enjoyed that!")
The Mangler: This is one of the stupidist King stories I have read but I strangely enjoyed the film.

WTF?! (NO Second viewing required)
Anything, ANYTHING with Mulva in it. I can't wash the shit from my mind! TERRRIBLE! TERRIBLE!!! TERRIBLE!!!!
Old 11-02-07, 07:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My first year and I got to 51 movies. I'm proud to say I'm completely caught up on TIVO'ed shows and watched football every Sunday!

Thanks to the folks that created the contest! I had a great time watching horror flicks!
Old 11-02-07, 10:18 AM

BEST
Dracula (1931)
I can still remember absolutely hating this movie the first time I saw it. Now, it's my favorite one to watch every year. An absolute classic.

WORST
The Undead (1957)
Huh?

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
I'm not a huge fan of the original "Creature" film but I thought "Revenge of" was pretty decent. I was prepared for a nose dive with the third film but I was impressed. Straightforward, simple and fun.

Biggest Disappointment
Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)
I thought this movie was soooooo scary and cool when I was a kid. Now...not so much.

Predator (1987)
This was actually my 20,000th time viewing it but I thought it was worth a mention. Cheesy, corny, campy and fabulous every time!

"WTF did I just watch?"
The Undead (1957)
Wait...Huh?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.