Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 05:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
As long as you make good picks on what to watch. If I did 24 hours with all the b movies I've been watching, I'd fall asleep at some point when nobody talks for over 5 minutes or so because they're just walking around.
Unfortunately, my picks for today have been largely average. I thought that shorter films would be best, as variety might keep me awake and interested, and a bad film would at least pass quickly.

So, among other things, I'm slogging thru all the MOH season one today. I am not very impressed with them so far. Nothing horrible really, but nothing great either. So far. Five and a half more hours, it is going to seem like twice that. I'm so darn tired.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I really liked Maniac for some reason. Watching the cat part while tired made me laugh.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0025465/
I'll have to look for that for next year, it has Phyllis Diller !!!!
Old 10-28-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Apparently, it is a different Phyllis Diller. Looks like we've found a 50 minute feature, though. I would have allowed it in as an exception since it was legitimately released (as much as any "road show" is) to theatrical exhibition (that is, not part of a special event).

Woo hoo, only 9 more movies to go to hit my goal to be in the 100 club.
Old 10-28-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Apparently, it is a different Phyllis Diller. Looks like we've found a 50 minute feature, though. I would have allowed it in as an exception since it was legitimately released (as much as any "road show" is) to theatrical exhibition (that is, not part of a special event).
I think the only benefit of the 40 minute limit is to include documentaries on tv. An hour long one after commercials would then be around 40-45 minutes.

That's pretty much the only thing I can think of that would run around that time.
Old 10-28-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hit my mark of 100 movies last night and it was harder then I thought since i watch mainly horror year round.
Old 10-28-07, 10:53 PM

There actually are plenty of older features in the 45-60 minute range. I think I had one or two under 60 besides a few of the MOH, and noticed a few on other people's lists.

Just a few minutes away from staying up and watching horror all 24 hours of this day, up for like 40 straight overall, and 60 of the last 65 hours.

If I was ever going to go postal, these would be the appropriate circumstances.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-28-07 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it just me or do all the participant links in the other topic lead to the same list every time?
Old 10-29-07, 08:35 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Is it just me or do all the participant links in the other topic lead to the same list every time?
Interesting. After wishbon3, they all point to wishbon3's list.
Old 10-29-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
The first 7 are completely fine ...only 133 out of 140 are incorrectly linked! Hell if I know what happened, but was really hoping it would go unnoticed for awhile. Hey, it was fairly late and I was half asleep. I'll try and fix it. I didn't say anything.

All that effort for something that'll be ending in 3 days and I screw it up! What next?!

Originally Posted by Shack
Dammit ---> supfool! <---, if you had just done it yourself like last year we wouldn't be in this godawful mess!

Last edited by Chad; 10-29-07 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
All that effort for something that'll be ending in 3 days and I screw it up! What next?!
Well, you could start a huge fight that gets mod intervention and threads locked...oh wait...
Dammit Shack, if you had just done it yourself like last year we wouldn't be in this godawful mess!
Ha -- actually it was supfool! who did all the work last year. I just give, you know, constructive feedback.

Chad, after looking at your lists, I chalk everything up to sleep deprivation. Use that for as long as you can.
Old 10-29-07, 12:16 PM

Congrats to Giles for completing the long version checklist.

Anyone else besides us compete the long version?
Old 10-29-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another year, and another poor showing by myself. This is my 3rd year doing it, and I seem to get to about the same number every year. I get to about 10 and then just fizzle out.. I'm at 11 right now and can prob add 1-2 more.... I'm shocked since I'm a really big horror fan, but I seem not to not be able to watch movies every day, nor do I want to.

With Red Sox in the WS, football, and a week vacation I just didn't have the opportunities this year.

Fun competition, but maybe I should set a more realistic goal and not go for the magical 31 in 31 days. ha

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 10-29-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Before the challenge started, I said that I wouldn't go for 100 movies this time around. Oh well! Reached 100 today.
Figured this wouldn't be possible since I was not gonna pressure myself into watching 5 movies a day. But the little consistency paid off (In the nick of time) and this year's challenge was a complete breeze for me unlike last year's exhaustive attempt.

One thing's for sure though, I can't seem to make it past 105 movies. So it's good to know that I got some limits.

BTW, for the silent Jekyll/Hyde that I watched today, I made my own soundtrack for it featuring the likes of Mocean Worker,Tangerine Dream,Red Snapper, and Godspeed You Black Emperor. Neat stuff!
Old 10-29-07, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Congrats to Giles for completing the long version checklist.

Anyone else besides us compete the long version?

I just need a documentry :/ Watching Flesh For Frankenstein now so that covers the X rating.
Old 10-29-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I went about my list more or less at random this year (last year I made an effort to reflect my taste) . I didn't even check the checklist off until yesterday and ended up hitting almost the entire list. . I still need Bruce Campbell, Lon Chaney Sr, a Mummy movie, Ewe Boll, and a G film. I see the pre-20s stuff as more a bonus, anyway (too limited amount of titles and running time to be required). I'm probably going to miss the Mummy and Ewe Boll as I don't have them.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-29-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm officially done now,with a total of 9 movies. That's a huge slow down compared to 23 on both previous challenges. But I do not mind. I didn't force myself to watch movies when not in the mood. And I didn't let my grades slip like last time. So I managed to stay on track,which is good. Also other things come up over the month,which accounts for a nearly two week break between flicks!
Old 10-29-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
"Whadya know... I beat my high score" ...of a whopping 23!

I'm gonna try and do 2-3 tomorrow and I'll probably only squeeze in one on Halloween and that will be... Halloween.

I'd watch more right now, but I'm too dang tired. I just made the coffee for tomorrow morning. But instead of pressing the timer button, I pressed the ON button. I'm sitting here typing away when I hear the stupid thing brewing. So I had to start ALL over again and make another pot. Got it right this time.

G'Night!

Last edited by Darth Maher; 10-29-07 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did Dr. Pepper provide the entire budget for Student Bodies? I noticed at least seven instances where a character drank Dr. Pepper, wore a Dr. Pepper t-shirt, or stood in front of a Dr. Pepper sign. The popcorn vendors at the football game even had friggin' Dr. Pepper hats on! I've heard of product placement before, but this was ridiculous.
Old 10-30-07, 07:01 AM

a couple random observations

When I first started this challenge, I had a bunch of movies in mind that I knew I'd watch, or was looking forward to watching. I even stacked a bunch of them up in a queue pile.

But as the challenge has progressed, my queue pile has grown, and now I won't have time to watch 20 or so films that on day one I was positive I'd fit in.

Also, I have purchased 90 or more horror films since September. So right now, I probably have 100 unwatched horror films waiting for next year.

Also, when I started this challenge I figured the only way I'd make 100 was if I watched all my shortest horror films. But I still have 4 unopened Universal Legacy sets, and unfinished sets of shorter films like MOH season 1, the Horror Archive Collection, and a Mill Creek 50 pack with 48 waiting to be watched.

So I can probably hit another 80 in like 100 hours just from those sets.
Old 10-30-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
When I first started this challenge, I had a bunch of movies in mind that I knew I'd watch, or was looking forward to watching.
I did the same thing and have hardly watched any of them...

* = first time viewing
strike thru = viewed during this challenge.

DVD:
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later*
April Fool's Day
The Birds*
Dark City (Possibly with audio commentary by Roger Ebert)
Dead-A-Thon (Romero's Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead and the remakes.)
Deadly Friend
The Eye
Some of the Universal Frankenstein sequels*
The Frighteners: Director's Cut
Ginger Snaps
Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed
The Hallow
Halloweentown (and it's three sequels)
Hellraiser (and possibly the first two sequels)
Hocus Pocus
Interview With The Vampire
Jaws
Monster House
The Midnight Hour
Panic Room
Phantasm*
Phantom of the Megaplex
Return of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead Part II

'Salem's Lot
A Return to 'Salem's Lot*
Shocker
Terror Train*
Tower of Terror
Twitches*
Videodrome*
and of course:
It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Halloween

DVD (VHS Dub):
The Canterville Ghost*
The Old Dark House*
Student Bodies*
Terror In The Aisles
The Uninvited*

Cable (some may already be on the DVR):
976-EVIL
The Eye 2*
Some of the Universal Mummy sequels*
Session 9*
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
Twitches 2*

Theater:
Saw IV*
I guess there's always next year.
Old 10-30-07, 11:39 AM

Hoping to watch all eight Halloween films tomorrow. I own 1-5 and H20, and the other two are on TV that evening, at the same time. If my DVR or power fail during those two hours I'm going to be quite upset. I've looked for the two I need on DVD but can't find them anywhere.
Old 10-30-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Well crap, I slack off of my intended goal of 100 and just about everyone is directed to my list... oh well, at least there is next year.

EDIT: okay, everyone's linked list after mine has "p=8175305" (mine) plus their postcount whereas the users preceding my linked list have different "p=#######".

Last edited by wishbone; 10-30-07 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 04:20 PM

Just a reminder that tonight's the 40th anniversary showing of our favorite Wildcard!

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
8:00/7:00 central
ABC
Old 10-30-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha -- actually it was supfool! who did all the work last year. I just give, you know, constructive feedback.

Chad, after looking at your lists, I chalk everything up to sleep deprivation. Use that for as long as you can.
That sounds like a plausible excuse.

Apologies to supfool!, BTW.

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Well crap, I slack off of my intended goal of 100 and just about everyone is directed to my list... oh well, at least there is next year.

EDIT: okay, everyone's linked list after mine has "p=8175305" (mine) plus their postcount whereas the users preceding my linked list have different "p=#######".
Sleep deprivation!
Old 10-30-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A friendly reminder...

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown airs tonight at 8/7c on ABC!
Old 10-30-07, 09:18 PM

I some how have to watch 8 more movies :/ I can get one more in tonight which leaves me 7 to watch tomorrow X_X I know I want to watch 4 Halloween movies and I have 2 wild cards left :/ Any tips for Wild Cards? I already did great pumpkin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.