Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Old 10-19-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalArtery
Man 'o man I wish I would have known there was a challenge like this earlier, I'm up to about 287 horror flicks so far. I originally did it as a way of finally watching all those crappy flicks that have been sitting on shelf not being watched and collecting dust and watching some old ones to help remind me as to why I don't watch them regularly.

Would have been more fun participating in a challenge and not feeling so much like a chore.
Welcome aboard. It's not too late to participate...you should post a list in this thread here...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=513145
Old 10-19-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Man 'o man I wish I would have known there was a challenge like this earlier, I'm up to about 287 horror flicks so far. I originally did it as a way of finally watching all those crappy flicks that have been sitting on shelf not being watched and collecting dust and watching some old ones to help remind me as to why I don't watch them regularly.

Would have been more fun participating in a challenge and not feeling so much like a chore.
Good God, man I'd be dead at your average of 14 films a day.
Old 10-19-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man 'o man I wish I would have known there was a challenge like this earlier, I'm up to about 287 horror flicks so far.
Since October 1st? Of THIS year? I don't think I've even seen 287 movies total of ANY genre in the past 10 years!

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 10-19-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Good God, man I'd be dead at your average of 14 films a day.
Yeah it's often a wonder that I can remember my own name in the morning.

Thankfully (if you can put it like that) at the end of September I moved from pretty much the east coast all the way to the west coast and my job has given me the entire month of October off. So no job and no social life has given me alot of free time, hopefully my brain won't be too fried when I have to go back to work.

And thanks EdTheRipper for the welcome I'll see about putting a list together.
Old 10-19-07, 01:17 PM
Banned

15 movies per day would take dedication, but is possible. If you could run on four hours of upkeep (sleep, meals, errands) and keep run times to 80 minutes or less, you'd have it. On the bright side, perhaps now my fan club will move on, since there is someone with almost twice my count.
Old 10-19-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I found a 47 minute movie yesterday, Monsters Crash the Pajama Party.
It's still not a "real" movie, though. It was a special presentation as part of a "Spook Show" with live actors in costume and (possibly) additional shorts (I can't remember). It would be like counting one of those films they used to schlep around churches, like The Burning Hell. (Not to say it doesn't qualify, though. It's in the rules-40 minutes)

On another subject, is there any buzz for a French horror/thriller film called "Ils" or "Them"? They are showing it at a local horror marathon and I managed to acquire a copy. I've tried searching some Horror boards but the title is too common of a word so it makes searching harder.
Old 10-19-07, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
It's still not a "real" movie, though. It was a special presentation as part of a "Spook Show" with live actors in costume and (possibly) additional shorts (I can't remember). It would be like counting one of those films they used to schlep around churches, like The Burning Hell. (Not to say it doesn't qualify, though. It's in the rules-40 minutes)

On another subject, is there any buzz for a French horror/thriller film called "Ils" or "Them"? They are showing it at a local horror marathon and I managed to acquire a copy. I've tried searching some Horror boards but the title is too common of a word so it makes searching harder.
I own Them (Ils), and watched it during this challenge. I loved it, personally.
Old 10-19-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
But would you consider The Screaming Skull as not a "real" movie either since that was done in the same way?
Old 10-19-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah it's often a wonder that I can remember my own name in the morning.

Thankfully (if you can put it like that) at the end of September I moved from pretty much the east coast all the way to the west coast and my job has given me the entire month of October off. So no job and no social life has given me alot of free time, hopefully my brain won't be too fried when I have to go back to work.

And thanks EdTheRipper for the welcome I'll see about putting a list together.
I hear you there. I am spending a year teaching in Japan and was placed in this nowhere land village. All we got is a 7-11! So with now teaching hours I can pack in some flicks but you, sir, are hammering it home. It is nice to find one with even LESS of a social life then me. :P By the way, welcome to DVDtalk! Always nice to have newcomers to our fun house. I've been here for a few years. How'd you find us and our little horror contest?

Happy watching!
View
Old 10-19-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But would you consider The Screaming Skull as not a "real" movie either since that was done in the same way?
Screaming Skull is more in the tradition of William Castle and showmanship but it can stand alone as a film. Monsters Crash the Pajama Party is more like, say, the video of the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios (not in production quality, obviously). It's not meant to stand alone but is the background of a multimedia presentation.

I believe it to be eligible for the challenge, obviously, but I wouldn't consider it an example of the elusive sub-60 minute feature.

That is a great DVD, though. Almost entirely Easter eggs.
Old 10-19-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hit my goal of 151 with Piranha today. The only reason now to keep up the pace it to get through my backlog.

If all goes well and I get through my backlog, I'm just going to go for 100 movies and have some other reason for picking them besides "I've owned this for over 2 years yet I haven't watched it yet".
Old 10-19-07, 05:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Since October 1st? Of THIS year? I don't think I've even seen 287 movies total of ANY genre in the past 10 years!
Amen. I don't see how anyone can watch 287 in even a year. I consider myself a movie buff, and usually watch maybe 4 a week at most, often zero.

This month is a huge aberration for me, sacrificing as much of "real life" as I dare to try to get to 100. It has been nice to watch so many of my unseen DVDs.

It's been a nice revelation to see how many of them absolutely suck, I'm hoping it stops me from buying so many DVDs just because they were cheap.

I think that I've decided that I'd rather collect and re-watch my favorite and classic films, than collect hundreds of cheap and even free lesser films.

But the collector in me will probably win out, and I'll continue to suffer thru dreck like Decoys.
Old 10-19-07, 05:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
is "Death Proof" considered a horror or action/thriller??
Old 10-19-07, 05:16 PM

I say it counts as horror, it's part of "Grindhouse."
Old 10-19-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
dreck like Decoys.
I just watched that Thursday night and it wasn't nearly as bad as what I thought it was going to be. I figured it was Asylum quality, so when I started watching it, you can see how it exceeded my expectations.

The ending was hardly a surprise and I was just waiting for that to happen.

But if you want to appreciate Decoys a lot more, I'll give you a list of movies to watch that will make Decoys look like Citizen Kane.
Old 10-19-07, 05:30 PM
Banned

Amen. I don't see how anyone can watch 287 in even a year. I consider myself a movie buff, and usually watch maybe 4 a week at most, often zero.

This month is a huge aberration for me, sacrificing as much of "real life" as I dare to try to get to 100. It has been nice to watch so many of my unseen DVDs.

It's been a nice revelation to see how many of them absolutely suck, I'm hoping it stops me from buying so many DVDs just because they were cheap.

I think that I've decided that I'd rather collect and re-watch my favorite and classic films, than collect hundreds of cheap and even free lesser films.

But the collector in me will probably win out, and I'll continue to suffer thru dreck like Decoys.

I've broken the "collector's curse" now that hi-def is out, I've been able to buy only the stuff I know I would watch often. This horror challenge has helped me clear a lot of shelf space, by giving some of these a final look and finally giving others a first look, before they're sold. On the positive side, some that I've had for years and never watched have gone OOP and now hold some solid value.
Old 10-19-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I say it counts as horror, it's part of "Grindhouse."
I'd count it but not because it's grindhouse. Grindhouse movies include stuff like blaxploitation and that is hardly horror unless your watching Blacula, and even then...
Old 10-19-07, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by FusionX
I've broken the "collector's curse" now that hi-def is out, I've been able to buy only the stuff I know I would watch often. This horror challenge has helped me clear a lot of shelf space, by giving some of these a final look and finally giving others a first look, before they're sold. On the positive side, some that I've had for years and never watched have gone OOP and now hold some solid value.
Good point. A lot of the stuff I'm watching has been on my shelf for years. It is going straight from the DVD player to the "Ebay/Trade" box.

I've also found that I ordered so much horror in anticipation for this challenge that I should have another 100 films to watch next October, and possibly a third year of pretty much "new-to-me" films to watch.
Old 10-19-07, 05:41 PM

I just watched that Thursday night and it wasn't nearly as bad as what I thought it was going to be. I figured it was Asylum quality, so when I started watching it, you can see how it exceeded my expectations.

The ending was hardly a surprise and I was just waiting for that to happen.

But if you want to appreciate Decoys a lot more, I'll give you a list of movies to watch that will make Decoys look like Citizen Kane.
Never saw Asylum, is that a film or a studio?

And yes, Decoys wasn't as bad as some of the stuff that I have watched or that I know is out there. So far, if I recall, the worst I've watched this month was the triple feature release with Horror 101, Horror 102, and Museum of the Dead. Decoys was a step up from them, and I am just starting Decoys 2 as we "speak". I'm not expecting much, but have enough OCD to watch it once before it goes into that Ebay/trade box.
Old 10-19-07, 05:49 PM

I'd count it but not because it's grindhouse. Grindhouse movies include stuff like blaxploitation and that is hardly horror unless your watching Blacula, and even then...
No, I meant it's part of the MOVIE "Grindhouse" and thus attached to "Planet Terror" which no one would dispute is horror, plus "Grindhouse" was classified as horror by most places and people when it came out and both movies were together in it, before they were split and all the fun went out of it.
Old 10-19-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never saw Asylum, is that a film or a studio?

And yes, Decoys wasn't as bad as some of the stuff that I have watched or that I know is out there. So far, if I recall, the worst I've watched this month was the triple feature release with Horror 101, Horror 102, and Museum of the Dead. Decoys was a step up from them, and I am just starting Decoys 2 as we "speak". I'm not expecting much, but have enough OCD to watch it once before it goes into that Ebay/trade box.
Asylum puts out crap on many different levels. There's the crap that's some file student made. There's crap that's an imitation of a movie at the theaters, like Snakes on a Train or Transmorphers.

Then you have the audio crap. The levels on their movies are completely messed up. Music and sound effects are always way too loud and dialogue levels change through the movie. During the last movie I watched, I had to adjust constantly adjust the volume level on my tv between 25 and 35.
Old 10-19-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, I meant it's part of the MOVIE "Grindhouse" and thus attached to "Planet Terror" which no one would dispute is horror, plus "Grindhouse" was classified as horror by most places and people when it came out and both movies were together in it, before they were split and all the fun went out of it.
I get ya. I just know a lot of people now seem to think that a grindhouse film = horror movie.
Old 10-19-07, 05:52 PM
Banned

As much as I dislike Asylum, I did like Freakshow.
Old 10-19-07, 05:56 PM

I want to see Freakshow and Halloween Night, and I think I'd probably like them. I haven't seen any other Asylum films though.
Old 10-19-07, 06:02 PM
Banned

I want to see Freakshow and Halloween Night, and I think I'd probably like them. I haven't seen any other Asylum films though.
Halloween Night wasn't bad by Asylum standards. I really liked Freakshow, but I have an interest in sideshow related movies and of course, carnies. I think I've seen all of the Asylum movies except for the new Pod People one, I know they'll be awful, but I can't resist renting them!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.