Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Part3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
I some how have to watch 8 more movies :/ I can get one more in tonight which leaves me 7 to watch tomorrow X_X I know I want to watch 4 Halloween movies and I have 2 wild cards left :/ Any tips for Wild Cards? I already did great pumpkin.
I'm in the same boat. Just finished #90 and now that I'm so close, I'm kind of determined to make it... I don't know how I'll do it yet, except I won't be sleeping too much in the next 24 hours!
Old 10-30-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear God was Night of the Lepus terrible! Not that my expectations were particularly high going in, of course. There was something quite depressing about watching Janet Leigh, only a decade or so removed from Psycho, comforting a bloody and quivering man with the immortal words, "It's okay now Jack. He's gone. The rabbit's gone." Also, The Driller Killer was nigh on unwatchable. Ms. 45 had a certain sleazy charm, but this was simply inept filmmaking. That's what I love about Netflix though - I can take a chance on films without feeling it in my wallet.

Last edited by NoirFan; 10-30-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way I came across a list of the top 25 horror movies at time.com. One on their list was Bambi! So, if I include it on my list, I don't want to hear any complaints...
Old 10-30-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Dear God was Night of the Lepus terrible! Not that my expectations were particularly high going in, of course. There was something quite depressing about watching Janet Leigh, only a decade or so removed from Psycho, comforting a bloody and quivering man with the immortal words, "It's okay now Jack. He's gone. The rabbit's gone." Also, The Driller Killer was nigh on unwatchable. Ms. 45 had a certain sleazy charm, but this was simply inept filmmaking. That's what I love about Netflix though - I can take a chance on films without feeling it in my wallet.
You are wrong about everything but The Driller Killer. It can be made watchable if you skip through the half of the movie where the band plays. That makes it better although you miss some of the build up of having the band playing, but it's worth it.

You're still especially wrong about Ms. 45, one of AFI's top 100 movies.
Old 10-30-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
You are wrong about everything but The Driller Killer. It can be made watchable if you skip through the half of the movie where the band plays. That makes it better although you miss some of the build up of having the band playing, but it's worth it.

You're still especially wrong about Ms. 45, one of AFI's top 100 movies.
Soooo...Night of the Lepus isn't a terrible film?
Old 10-30-07, 10:22 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
The Driller Killer was nigh on unwatchable. Ms. 45 had a certain sleazy charm, but this was simply inept filmmaking. That's what I love about Netflix though - I can take a chance on films without feeling it in my wallet.
Yeah, inept filmmaking it is. I downloaded Driller Killer from a public domain site, to find that, well, there's a reason some films are public domain. But on the other hand, I did get what I paid for...
Old 10-30-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shack
Yeah, inept filmmaking it is. I downloaded Driller Killer from a public domain site, to find that, well, there's a reason some films are public domain. But on the other hand, I did get what I paid for...
The argument about the phone bill was brilliantly scripted, with the witty repartee of vintage Preston Sturges:

Reno Miller: Holy Christ! What is this? They send us the bill to Madison Square Garden? What are they kidding me, man? How the hell are we supposed to pay this bill? What is this? The bill for three months?
Carol: That's the bill for one month.
Reno Miller: Christ, what have we got here? A refrigerator, a couple of lights?
[opens another envelope]
Reno Miller: Let's see here, telephone. Oh no! Houston, Texas?
Pamela: My mother.
Reno Miller: Look at this, L.A. $1.50... $2.75... $7.50.
Carol: Yeah, they're mine.
Reno Miller: You talked to L.A. one time for two hours and 10 minutes? What are you, out of your mind? Are you crazy? What's this? Philadelphia?
Pamela: My sister.
Reno Miller: Miami?
Carol: That's mine.
Reno Miller: Trenton, New Jersey... Queens... wait, isn't Queens a local call?
Old 10-30-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soooo...Night of the Lepus isn't a terrible film?
......(silently sneaks out of room)
Old 10-31-07, 12:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
So, can we count until dawn on the 1st, or do the films have to be finished (or just started?) by 23:59:59 tonight?
Old 10-31-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Last year we got bonus hours.
Old 10-31-07, 07:17 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
The argument about the phone bill was brilliantly scripted, with the witty repartee of vintage Preston Sturges:
I just ordered the Sturges box set from Amazon for my first non-horror viewings. I can do a side-by-side comparision!
Old 10-31-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
So, can we count until dawn on the 1st, or do the films have to be finished (or just started?) by 23:59:59 tonight?
I think I took a hard-nosed approach to this question earlier in this thread, indicating I aim to finish by midnight on the 31st. Well, I'm currently watching movie #95 and may be softening my stance. I hope to finish by midnight, but it's possible my goal of 100 may take me into the wee hours of the morning.
Old 10-31-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Hey, we kicked it off at dusk so it seems more than appropriate to end at dawn. Last year the cutoff time was 2am, but I see no foreseeable reason we can't continue until the sun rises.
Old 10-31-07, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
Hey, we kicked it off at dusk so it seems more than appropriate to end at dawn. Last year the cutoff time was 2am, but I see no foreseeable reason we can't continue until the sun rises.
Sweet! I think I'll need until at least 0200 to finish all the Halloweens.
Old 10-31-07, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm gonna cut off at midnight - cause I'm sooo goddamn tired. It's been fun, but I need my beauty sleep.
Old 10-31-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
So, any particular reason that in most adaptations of Dracula...

In the usual scenario where a young woman is bedfast after having been previously been bitten by the vampire and the people inside the house are protecting her - why do they always leave a maid/servant who's an elderly woman to watch over her? Honestly, how the hell's an old woman gonna protect her from a shapeshifting, blood-sucking evil demonic creature from hell?!

That's always bothered me.
Old 10-31-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the usual scenario where a young woman is bedfast after having been previously been bitten by the vampire and the people inside the house are protecting her - why do they always leave a maid/servant who's an elderly woman to watch over her? Honestly, how the hell's an old woman gonna protect her from a shapeshifting, blood-sucking evil demonic creature from hell?!

Because the same would happen to anyone else that lived there. Also, what better way to get rid of some old hag so you don't need to pay her anything for retirement, plus you get to hire some younger, hotter maid/servent.
Old 10-31-07, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I can finish my 3rd goal of 200. Starting the Halloween Quad right now (H, H2, H20, HR). If need be I'm off tomorrow so I can easily stay up late Plus I was sick all night so I got some movies in with my stomach hurting and a no sleep due to a crappy fever.
Old 10-31-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm shooting for double of my original goal. 5 to go and I'm almost done with one, 30 minutes left for another, which leaves 3 more to watch. I should be able to get it done.
Old 10-31-07, 07:26 PM

I got my 100. Now on to the bonus movies.
Old 10-31-07, 09:08 PM

Just watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown , breaking up my ten film/documentary Halloween marathon.

I may quit before I finish them all, I think I'm Halloweened out.

But again, I've loved this challenge and thanks to all of you who participated and helped keep me focused.

I normally only watch 1-5 movies a week at most, so it was great to have a month where I actually got more "utility" out of my hobby. Perhaps 90 of my 160 movies were new to me, so it was nice to start going thru my unwatched pile as well.

Big thanks to Chad for all his hard work!
Old 10-31-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

If you got the flu real bad, they wouldn't send some badass vampire killer to guard you, would they?
Old 10-31-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Ok, I'm done. I only missed my initial goal of 31 by 2 movies. I guess I could have crammed 2 more movies in there somewhere but I didn't. What I DID do, however, was have fun. My only regret was that I didn't have the time to watch more. And that (for the most part) is pretty much out of my control.

I just finished Halloween. And while the menu continues to cycle (playing the Halloween theme over and over and over...) as I update my lists, I begin to feel a little melancholy. Not just because the Challenge is over, but because Halloween is over. This is my favorite time of year. I shall miss the "festive ambiance" that the holiday brings until next August when stores start stocking their Halloween decor again.

For now, I am off to bed. So I can get up in the morning tomorrow for work, then come home and begin taking down the Halloween decorations.

It shall be a somber day tomorrow.

Congrats to all who reached their goal and to those who discovered some great new movies and/or re-discovered some old "self-proclaimed classics" that they may have forgotten about or haven't seen in a while. Those are the best.
Old 10-31-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
It shall be a somber day tomorrow.
I'm also not looking forward to tomorrow. There's so many things on my to do list for this week that I postponed until the 1st because of the challenge. I don't think I'll have any free time til next week!
Old 11-01-07, 12:27 AM

It's been fun. I hit 100+ without it overwhelming my life too much. Thanks a lot, Chad, for the challenge. I watched more movies in the last month than I did in the whole year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.