Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

GRINDHOUSE: September

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

GRINDHOUSE: September

Old 05-14-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if they're waiting until Sept. so Rodriguez can finish the straight to DVD edition of 'Machete'

Last I heard he only needed 30-40 minutes of footage to have a complete film.
Old 05-14-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I wonder if they're waiting until Sept. so Rodriguez can finish the straight to DVD edition of 'Machete'

Last I heard he only needed 30-40 minutes of footage to have a complete film.
Trejo claims that it is now going to theaters based on fan response to the trailer. Rodriguez shoots cheap, so maybe it will work. And I believe he has 30-40m SHOT, not vice versa.
Old 05-14-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Linko
I'd only buy Grindhouse. Planet Terror and Death Proof really aren't great individual movies. The experience of watching both movies is what made if fun. The only way I'd buy them individually is if they're also released in a box set with a Grindhouse cover like Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Star Wars, etc. Planet Terror and Death Proof aren't even movies as far as I'm concerned. You didn't see the segments from movies like Creepshow or Four Rooms get split up and passed off as different movies, although they're quite a bit shorter. I only ever saw them as one movie.
Man, I disagree with this so much. I do value the theatrical experience, but it's not recreated if you can sit and pause and fastforward and whatever. I am especially looking forward to the director's cuts of both films. I didn't like Tarantino's the first time, and it is still overlong, but I did enjoy it greatly and even if I prefer the theatrical cut I would like to see the things that are missing.
Old 05-14-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I still see it as one movie. The credits for both parts are at the end.

It's just not going to be the same having to get up, replace the disc, and sit through the usual disclaimers (FBI warning, anti-piracy ad, etc.) before Death Proof.
Old 05-14-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want some super special editions!
Old 05-14-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Proof is the one I'm after, so indivdual releases are fine with me.
Old 05-14-07, 10:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Grindhouse consisted of the two movies and should be together. It is going to be terrible having them separated. I would love to relive that experience I had in the theater. This shows that it is about what Weinstein wants and not what the fans want.
Old 05-14-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they should be one movie release also. However, like those lengthy Lord of the Rings extended editions, the movie would still probably have to be broken up into two discs anyway, even if you bought one, 2-disc set. So that would alter the uninterrupted flow by taking one disc out and putting another in as well.
Old 05-14-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lecithin
I think they should be one movie release also. However, like those lengthy Lord of the Rings extended editions, the movie would still probably have to be broken up into two discs anyway, even if you bought one, 2-disc set. So that would alter the uninterrupted flow by taking one disc out and putting another in as well.
At 3hr 11min, the feature should fit on a single disc just fine.
Old 05-15-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by moviefan2
Grindhouse consisted of the two movies and should be together. It is going to be terrible having them separated. I would love to relive that experience I had in the theater. This shows that it is about what Weinstein wants and not what the fans want.
Again, this is what Quentin and Robert want, it is their insistence that the films arrive on DVD separate.
Old 05-15-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The film is GRINDHOUSE. The whole opening sequence music is cut with that title leading into PLANET TERROR.

I can't imagine not seeing it the way it was intended to be seen. I loved the film, but even the idea of switching discs for this seems uncool. These releases will sell horribly as individual titles, since nobody knows what the fuck they are. I'm hoping that by September, the Weinsteins will come to their senses and release the film properly.
Old 05-15-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
At 3hr 11min, the feature should fit on a single disc just fine.
Exactly. And given the look is supposed to be crappy, no need to worry about compression this time.
Old 05-15-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by indiephantom
The film is GRINDHOUSE. The whole opening sequence music is cut with that title leading into PLANET TERROR.

I can't imagine not seeing it the way it was intended to be seen. I loved the film, but even the idea of switching discs for this seems uncool. These releases will sell horribly as individual titles, since nobody knows what the fuck they are. I'm hoping that by September, the Weinsteins will come to their senses and release the film properly.
Argh! How many times can I say this? If you want to see the film the way it was meant to be seen then you will accept that the film is split up on DVD because this is the wish of the FILMMAKERS not the Weinstein company. Again, I doubt they argued with Quentin and Robert -- it's twice the money for them -- but the point is that it's two movies IN THE THEATER but at home they're just individual films. Otherwise, there would be no joy in seeing a grindhouse film in the theater, because you could see it exactly the same way at home on videotape.

And, just to clarify -- I don't care if you don't want to watch them separate, that's an opinion and that's up to you -- I don't have any beef with people who would like to see it the way it was in theaters. But I do care that people are clearly not aware of what the filmmakers felt about their films and they are also mistakenly chalking it up to someone else. If a studio does something shitty, by all means, blame them. But this was Quentin and Robert's decision, not the Weinsteins.
Old 05-15-07, 07:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by nateman241
More Grindhouse threads!!!!
nateman241, threadcrapping is against forum rules. If we see more of these, you may face administrative action.
Old 05-15-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts
An ideal release would be a 3-disc set:
disc 1: U.S. theatrical cut of the whole thing w/ commentary from RR & QT
disc 2: Planet Terror: extended unrated w/ extras pertaining to PT
disc 3: Death Proof: extended unrated w/ extras pertaining to DP
done and done!
Old 05-15-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
But this was Quentin and Robert's decision, not the Weinsteins.
You couldn't be more wrong if your name was Wrongie McWrongenstein. The decision to split them up was the Weinsteins, pure & simple - QT & RR just went along with it.
Old 05-15-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
done and done!
Now, I'd buy that for a dollar. Or 40 dollars.
Old 05-15-07, 11:05 AM

Playing at a drive-in near you

I was bummed out that I missed it in the movie theater,
but I see that it is playing now at the local drive in.
Great idea, I think this will be a cool experience.
Old 05-15-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You couldn't be more wrong if your name was Wrongie McWrongenstein. The decision to split them up was the Weinsteins, pure & simple - QT & RR just went along with it.
The Weinsteins may have decided to split it up in the foreign theaters because of low box office, but the DVD is a different story. The idea is that, say, if you saw a double feature of Enter the Dragon and Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!, obviously there is not going to be a DVD double feature of that or a VHS double feature of that. The point is the THEATRICAL experience of seeing the two movies together. On DVD they will be treated like separate original feature films.
Old 05-15-07, 02:01 PM

Argh! How many times can I say this? If you want to see the film the way it was meant to be seen then you will accept that the film is split up on DVD because this is the wish of the FILMMAKERS not the Weinstein company. Again, I doubt they argued with Quentin and Robert -- it's twice the money for them -- but the point is that it's two movies IN THE THEATER but at home they're just individual films. Otherwise, there would be no joy in seeing a grindhouse film in the theater, because you could see it exactly the same way at home on videotape.

And, just to clarify -- I don't care if you don't want to watch them separate, that's an opinion and that's up to you -- I don't have any beef with people who would like to see it the way it was in theaters. But I do care that people are clearly not aware of what the filmmakers felt about their films and they are also mistakenly chalking it up to someone else. If a studio does something shitty, by all means, blame them. But this was Quentin and Robert's decision, not the Weinsteins.

Incorrect. GRINDHOUSE was CONCEIVED AND CREATED to be one giant experience. Tarantino and Rodriguez discussed the inspiration, evolution and creation of GH on the Charlie Rose show and it was absolutely 100% clear that this is the way the project was always intended to be and how it came into fruition, how it was pitched and conceived, and written and produced. It's very clear what this project was always all about - a complete double-feature with scratch-marks, missing reels, and fake trailers. Go look for that interview and you'll understand it better. Or check out the interviews on the promo DVD that Hot Topic was giving out several weeks back. Or check out any written interview with QT or RR. Separately releasing the two 'restored' films later was a business decision made after the fact (although it was always intended many international markets would see it that way because of cultural differences). Releasing the two films separately on DVD in the US is just more profit possibilities and that's all good for QT, RR, and Weinstein Company. It wasn't until GRINDHOUSE bombed at the boxoffice that the possibility of the full GH feature possibly not getting a DVD release of its own started.

Just that you can't fathom enjoying the GH experience in your home as you did in the theater doesn't mean other home theater enthusiasts can't. I know I surely could get the same thrill out of it watching it on a big-screen tv pretending I'm in a fleapit theater (my apartment somewhat fits that mold). Release the two restored films separately as well for those who want to watch them that way. But that is simply not GRINDHOUSE to me.
Old 05-15-07, 02:31 PM
CTH

done and done!
Count me in!!
Old 05-15-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by man*machine
Incorrect. GRINDHOUSE was CONCEIVED AND CREATED to be one giant experience. Tarantino and Rodriguez discussed the inspiration, evolution and creation of GH on the Charlie Rose show and it was absolutely 100% clear that this is the way the project was always intended to be and how it came into fruition, how it was pitched and conceived, and written and produced. It's very clear what this project was always all about - a complete double-feature with scratch-marks, missing reels, and fake trailers. Go look for that interview and you'll understand it better. Or check out the interviews on the promo DVD that Hot Topic was giving out several weeks back. Or check out any written interview with QT or RR. Separately releasing the two 'restored' films later was a business decision made after the fact (although it was always intended many international markets would see it that way because of cultural differences). Releasing the two films separately on DVD in the US is just more profit possibilities and that's all good for QT, RR, and Weinstein Company. It wasn't until GRINDHOUSE bombed at the boxoffice that the possibility of the full GH feature possibly not getting a DVD release of its own started.

Just that you can't fathom enjoying the GH experience in your home as you did in the theater doesn't mean other home theater enthusiasts can't. I know I surely could get the same thrill out of it watching it on a big-screen tv pretending I'm in a fleapit theater (my apartment somewhat fits that mold). Release the two restored films separately as well for those who want to watch them that way. But that is simply not GRINDHOUSE to me.
Again, same thing. Whenever QT and RR discuss the whole concept of it being a double feature, they are referring to the theatrical experience. I think my analogy about other double features sets it up pretty clearly -- double features in theaters are not presented as double-features on home video. They are presented as the individual movies (although DVD double features are taking off now). I really don't think Quentin and Robert would consider the versions with the reels cut back in their "Director's Cuts" (ala the Death Proof playing at Cannes) if the two-parter was an inviolate piece of the production.

Because you can really slap any two movies together at home and call it a double feature. It's not the same thing. The whole point with the scratched reels and stuff and even the name "grindhouse" refers to the theatrical experience of seeing an old film shoved into the projector for the zillionth time in some backwater movie house in the bad side of town.

And see this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497358

The first post is a day after the movie opened, talking about how "a week ago" Rodriguez said on the Opie and Anthony show that the movies are to be presented separated on DVD.

And lastly, again -- I am not bashing the idea of seeing Grindhouse in one piece on DVD. I am just trying to relay the fact that the filmmakers feel otherwise. I'm sure with a great home theater system you could recreate it and it would make for a great party for film fans. But this is just what I have heard about it and I am trying to relay that.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 05-15-07 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 03:47 PM

But this is just what I have heard about it and I am trying to relay that.
You've relayed it five times already. We get the idea. And I firmly disagree with you. No need to keep pounding it. It's not going to work.
Old 05-15-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, that right there would be good enough for me. Can't say I'd have any interest in buying a seperate dvd release for each film.
Old 05-15-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by man*machine
You've relayed it five times already. We get the idea. And I firmly disagree with you. No need to keep pounding it. It's not going to work.
Well, either way, I think that Rodriguez on the Opie and Anthony Show does disprove you on one count. I don't mean to be argumentative, but you seem to be edging towards bashing my opinion, so...let's not fight over this. I do think though that if one can't get straight who to blame with things like this, whether it be the studio or the director or the producer or whatnot, it means that nobody is going to listen to any complaints, valid or not.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 05-15-07 at 03:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.