Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Grindhouse, both movies not on same dvd?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the deal with tihs. Robert Rodriguez was on Opie and Anthony last week and said when it's release on DVD it will be released as two different DVDs not one 'grindhouse' movie. Come on! At least give us fans the option of getting both or just one. He did say it will be loaded with delete scenes. That's good.
Old 04-07-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
After reading from some that they didn't like "Death Proof" maybe this is a good thing for them. It would probably be a 2-disc set anyways so you could always just play 'em back to back. Of course, you'll be paying more for 2 separate releases rather than 1 set.

There's always the chance that it could get re-released as a complete boxset... but the rate that Tarantino works, who knows when that might happen.
Old 04-07-07, 12:51 PM

I think it's a little too early for any official DVD news on Grindhouse.Rumors of cleaned up pristine film prints,deleted scenes,extended cuts,seperate DVD releases etc....There will be people who want the original as it is.People who want seperated releases and cleaned up prints,restored scenes.I'm sure there will be multiple incarnations in the future.And as stated with Tarantino involved this might be years down the line.Where's the 2 other SE's of Kill Bill Tarantino promised?Are we looking for 5th and 10th anniversary editions?If you get a chance see Grindhouse in the movies.A fun ride all the way.And I give nods to Death Proof over Planet Terror.Sure Terror is a fun ride from start to finish,but Death Proof is a masterpiece.
Old 04-07-07, 12:52 PM

Well almost all of Rodriguez movies have excellent treatment on dvd, so many he can push tarantino to do the same with this film. It's a good idea to make them both seperate DVD's, since it is 2 films, but more than likely they will do a gift set with abunch of crap.
Old 04-07-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would go for the seperate movie per disc if it had both the theatrical version and uncut on the same disc. Then ill take them split up. How about a third disc of just the fake trailers and their extras?
Old 04-07-07, 01:48 PM

I think this makes sense. The whole point was to replicate the old theatre double bill experience and since they are coming out on dvd what theatre experience is that?
Old 04-07-07, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
I think this makes sense. The whole point was to replicate the old theatre double bill experience and since they are coming out on dvd what theatre experience is that?
Well, my home theater is much nicer than most shoebox-size screens with tinny sound. I rarely see films in movie theatres anymore.

Grindhouse is just over 3 hours and would probably be released on a 2-disc package anyway. The only advantage of a single release is that it would definitely be cheaper than two separate titles.

Cleaning up the picture is not an option.
Old 04-07-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So predictable. If they don't put them both on a single release off the bat, they'll release them together in a super sweet set later on down the line. I wouldn't be too surprised if they made you buy them seperately in packaging that would combine if you bought them both. Another possibility is having a box packaging available if you buy both at the same time at Best Buy or something like that.
Old 04-07-07, 02:25 PM
Cool New Member

It should be a three-disc SE, with the both films (plus fake trailers) on the first disc, Planet Terror special features on the second disc and Death Proof special features on the third disc.
Old 04-07-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd welcome a 2 disc set, with movies on each disc.
Old 04-07-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cleaning up the picture is not an option.
As long as they release the grainy and scratched version, I wouldn't mind watching a clean version as well. Besides, Death Proof drops the whole notion for the final hour and it looks like a brand new film (which it is!)
Old 04-07-07, 03:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It is crazy to split it up. It would be better to have it on the same dvd like I saw it in the theater last night. Having both of them running straight together with no break is the way to do it otherwise what is the point of watching Grindhouse?
Old 04-07-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

two seperate movies...two dvd's sounds right to me
Old 04-07-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the entire project was conceived as a way of sharing the double-feature grindhouse experience with today's audience, why would they want to deconstruct it?
Old 04-07-07, 04:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Since the entire project was conceived as a way of sharing the double-feature grindhouse experience with today's audience, why would they want to deconstruct it?
exactly! the only way i would want this DVD is if it were the theatrical release on 1 dvd or at least 2 for a good DTS, but keeping the exact structure of the theatrical. on dvd anyone can do what they want and watch how they want, whether it be just one movie or whatever, that is the greatness of the DVD medium! but to split it up as two separate entities would be just wrong.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-07-07 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-07-07, 06:17 PM

In Europe both movies will be released at different dates. Also, according to EW, Tarantino is still working on a cut for "Death Proof" to show on Cannes.
Old 04-07-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
That's what I was wondering. The movie is "Grindhouse". Planet Terror and Death Proof are not (should not be, anyhow) stand alone products.
Old 04-07-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're separated for the European theatrical market I believe.
Old 04-07-07, 06:47 PM

If I am right on some parts of the world is getting the double feature. I know the US but I hear other places it's being released as two movies.
Old 04-07-07, 06:48 PM

Why would the release them separate on dvd? Hmmmm.......

$$$$ CHA-CHING $$$$$

Does that answer your question?
Old 04-07-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw it and it was alot of fun. Looks like it wont be making a ton of money in theatres this weekend so they just might need to make as much money as possible on DVD.
Old 04-07-07, 08:15 PM

I hope so, Death Proof rocked, Planet Terror stank.
Old 04-07-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Its been in theaters for a day. Jesus Christ! Why bitch about the DVD release now?
Old 04-07-07, 09:59 PM

I can see why you could release it as two different DVD but I am just saying they need to do both.
Old 04-08-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After seeing it and really thinking about how good these movies were... they should do a few sets. Release the films seperately, each with 2 discs. Then have a mega set with 4-6 discs that way we can have a disc just for the trailers and their extras. I think I would end up watching DP more than PT in the long run.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.