DVD Profiler 3.0 is now available

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Profiler 3.0 is now available

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind that they "butchered" it, I've used the free version for years for free. I don't blame him one bit for wanting to make a buck off of his hard work.

It sounds like this went from being a side project to a full time job, which is good for those that have paid for the registered version because you can probably can expect improvements much sooner now since he has time to concentrate solely on DVD Profiler.
Old 03-15-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
It sounds like this went from being a side project to a full time job, which is good for those that have paid for the registered version because you can probably can expect improvements much sooner now since he has time to concentrate solely on DVD Profiler.
He (Ken Cole) actually quit his full time job with HR Block a few years back now. It was him splitting from the rest of the company that caused the silence for the past year or so.

They also said today that they plan to do some work this evening that will hopefully take care of the server issues they've been having lately.

And for those that don't keep up with their forums, version 3.0.1 is expect in the next week or so to take care of some of the many bugs found so far.
Old 03-15-07, 09:46 PM
Banned

I gave up on DvdProfiler and switched to DvdAficionado. It doesn't look pretty but very functional. Easy to add movies to your catalog. Quicker than Dvdprofiler via the keyboard. I don't have any fancy scanner. Best of all it's free!
Old 03-15-07, 11:15 PM

You should check out DVDSpot, it's free as well. It looks much better than DVDAficionade (IMO) and is also very easy to add titles. They also have a mass import if you have a large collection.
Old 03-16-07, 01:49 AM

Maybe this is answered somewhere, but is there a way to add more tabs to go along with the All, Owned, Wishlist tabs. Or any way to edit these, cause I don't use the wishlist, and want to move off some dvd's I'm going to be selling off. Right now it's my "Wish i could sell them" list.

Thanks...

Last edited by LeeVing; 03-16-07 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-16-07, 02:44 AM

I think you can if you use one of the customization tools & host it yourself. But I don't think that is up to date for 3.0. You could always create an account with DVDAfficando or DVDspot for that purpose.
Old 03-16-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeVing
Maybe this is answered somewhere, but is there a way to add more tabs to go along with the All, Owned, Wishlist tabs. Or any way to edit these, cause I don't use the wishlist, and want to move off some dvd's I'm going to be selling off. Right now it's my "Wish i could sell them" list.

Thanks...
Don't know if you can edit the tabs built in but you can go to Tools > Edit Tags and add your own tags. That is how I can keep lists of Unwatched, Partial Watched, Watched lists.

You view these special tag lists via filters.
Old 03-16-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it just me or is there dvd database missing alot of titles?

For example, my Boyz n The Hood anniversary edition. All of my Lucio Fulci films, and many others.

Thats why I like Aficianado, they have every title and every edition listed.
Old 03-16-07, 11:14 AM

I can't stand Aficionado, it is horrible to look at IMO. But you have to take ina ccount that they are rebuilding the database for 3.0 since he broke off and started his own company, it will take some time to get it up to speed.
Old 03-16-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Is it just me or is there dvd database missing alot of titles?

For example, my Boyz n The Hood anniversary edition. All of my Lucio Fulci films, and many others.

Thats why I like Aficianado, they have every title and every edition listed.
They're completely rebuilding the database. If you have the titles, and imported them from DVD Profiler 2.5 (if you had that version), feel free to contribute them. It'll take a bit to get the database back up to speed.
Old 03-17-07, 01:29 AM

I use intervocative and about half of my DVDs have dropped out of my list.
I liked it because I have a Bluetooth Barcode Scanner and it worked with it.
Just scan it and POW its in my list.
I havent updated it in a long time because I notised some of my DVD fell off the list.
Old 03-17-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't use many of the features of DVD Profiler but it is still well worth the money I paid for it so long ago. The new version seems nice once I managed to upload my collection to my site. The only other issue I had was I had an old backup file of my collection that I mistakenly loaded first in the new version and it was from a time when my collection was about half it's current size. I freaked for a second thinking the program screwed me and then realized it was simply user error.
Old 03-17-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
After using the free version 2.4 and it's predecessors for years, I finally broke down and paid for premium registration. I like the new program, and after being able to finally clean up over 2/3 of my "unconverted UPC" errors (vs none the other night), I have faith the rest will show soon. It is weird that something as common as Alien3/Alien Resurrection Quadrilogy versions haven't shown while Alien/Aliens Quadrilogy - the fother half of the same boxset - have.

Also the program creator's actions and comments on the new site convinced me that he intends to stick around. That and other things like honoring previous registrations convinced me this is going to be reliable and further enhanced for a long time.

Note that this is probably the first software I have actually felt was worth paying for out of my own pocket in a long, long time.
Old 03-18-07, 12:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
will 2.5 still be functional and all new release DVD's will upload like before?
Old 03-18-07, 02:43 PM

I think so, but I think most of the people who were in charge of contributions are probably going to concentrate on the new version.
Old 03-18-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I noticed that some of the buttons are blank and for a bit, it was a guessing game when adding retailers and such. Is this happening to anyone else? I'm about to pull the trigger on getting the premium version but I didn't know if this was a common bug or just me...

Here's a link to a screenshot I took:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3...buttonsvd9.jpg

Last edited by TheMovieman; 03-18-07 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-18-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't had that problem with mine. I just double-checked, and no matter which way I open the edit retailers dialog box, it still works perfectly. I haven't noticed any blank buttons anywhere else, either.
Old 03-18-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to update the online display or give you more options on how your collection are displayed. Especially problematic is how box sets are displayed with contents separately. I decided to become premium as well. I've used it forever and still like it better than anything else.
Old 03-18-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
They need to update the online display or give you more options on how your collection are displayed. Especially problematic is how box sets are displayed with contents separately. I decided to become premium as well. I've used it forever and still like it better than anything else.
Edit the box set, and add the titles to the box set contents. That should be what you're looking for.
Old 03-18-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Edit the box set, and add the titles to the box set contents. That should be what you're looking for.
I've done that. It's the online display that's messed up. Take for instance your Monsters and Madmen box set. From the link in your sig, I see the Monsters and Madmen boxset listed and the contents separately instead of the collapsable view. There are other programs that did it correctly for the old DVD Profiler program, phpProfiler and DVD Companion. Other examples are your Alien box set and The Amityville Collection.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 03-18-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-18-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
will 2.5 still be functional and all new release DVD's will upload like before?
Yeah, don't expect too many new profiles to show up on it.
Old 03-19-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I've done that. It's the online display that's messed up. Take for instance your Monsters and Madmen box set. From the link in your sig, I see the Monsters and Madmen boxset listed and the contents separately instead of the collapsable view. There are other programs that did it correctly for the old DVD Profiler program, phpProfiler and DVD Companion. Other examples are your Alien box set and The Amityville Collection.
I guess I misread your original post and totally skipped over the word online. I hardly ever look at the online portion of things, and just have a local copy on both my desktop and laptop that I keep updated. It might be something they fix down the line. Who knows.
Old 03-19-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I stopped using this years ago. At one point I had DVD Af, DVD Profiler, and Guzzlefish. Guzzlefish went down the drain then I realized that it was just easier to run DVD Af.
Old 03-19-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

update 3.0.1 is now available.
Old 03-19-07, 01:35 PM

Tyler_Durden, I just noticed that your cover of The Departed on yout Profiler list is listed as a custom cover, in fact, when I saw the cover in your profile, I thought "Hey, I don't remember THAT release." So, my question is, can you in fact upload your own custom covers like that? That's cool if you can. I remember my Twin Peaks Pilot cover was accidentally included in the old profiler because they thought it was an actual release, of course later they changed the cover to the actual release, but I always wished I could have kept my actual cover and had it display up on my profile site.

So... what's the deal?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.