Warner's Statement on Superman Ultimate Mess Up

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner's Statement on Superman Ultimate Mess Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's how the Tom & Jerry replacement is. They sent me the correct discs with a prepaid mailer to put my bad discs in to mail back to them.

Wouldn't that be handled by Warner Bros too?
Old 11-28-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think the defective discs being sent back is a way of showing them you actually bought the set.
Old 11-28-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Strange the lack of consistency. Just got told that they will call me back. When I asked about the fact that some people are reporting that they will be sent the discs and return mailers, she said that nothing had been decided yet for sure. I also asked how many people called today and she sighed and said "seems like a million".
Old 11-28-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called and it all felt just so silly that this even happened on Warner's part. I got told they would call me back in a few days. People have a right to be pissed, but give them credit for the early response here.
Old 11-28-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Well I just called. They took my name and number and I was told I'd be called within the next 24 to 48 hours regarding the replacement discs.
Old 11-28-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anybody from Canada tried calling yet? I can't get mine until tomorrow but still want to know if we're going to get screwed or not...
Old 11-28-06, 07:08 PM

I'm in Canada. Called earlier today (1 PM EST) and gave my name and phone number. I didn't say I was calling from Canada, but I did give a Toronto phone number. 'm not sure what happens now, though.

I, too, was told that it would 24 to 48 hours before they got back to me.

I still haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting to see what the replacement program is before purchase..... Anyone know for sure whether Canadian discs are effected? I'm sure they are, but who knows for certain? Anyone?
Old 11-28-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
update:

We're busy working on some more disc reviews this afternoon, for posting over the next few days, but we wanted to pop in here with a couple of quick follow-up comments on WHV's Superman disc replacement program.

First, operators are basically just taking your names and phone numbers at this point. It will be a few days before all the details are in place, and they know when discs will be available. Discs are being replicated now, but it takes time. And if you get put on hold or have a hard time getting through, be patient. They're getting a LOT of calls.

Just to be precise, the 1978 Superman theatrical edition disc (Disc One of the Ultimate Collector's Edition) is supposed to have the revised 5.1 audio (edited down from the 2001 Extended Edition's 5.1 remix) and the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL 2.0 audio. That's what the corrected discs will contain (right now, the 2.0 is the remix also rather than the original theatrical audio).

WHV tells me that corrected DVDs and sets will eventually find their way into stores (as a 'running' production change) once the current stock sells out. They'll have new SKU numbers to distinguish them from the current ones - don't know what those are yet.

Finally, for you international (non U.S.) customers who may have purchased the Region 1 sets online via Amazon, Warner is checking with Amazon to confirm arrangements to make the corrected discs available to you. We're waiting to hear back from WHV to see if there will be a phone number or mailing address that other international customers (who may have purchased R1 sets online) can use to get the corrected discs. We'll try to let you know.

THEDIGITALBITS.com
Old 11-28-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
How much money do you think Warner's is losing from this blunder?
Don't know, don't care

They just have to master the new discs and pay for shipping and handling of the outgoing discs for those of us who call. But there's probably going to be good percentage of people that either won't notice (like all those that still have a bunch of DVDs shrink-wrapped) or those that don't really care.
Old 11-28-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Laertes
I still haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting to see what the replacement program is before purchase..... Anyone know for sure whether Canadian discs are effected? I'm sure they are, but who knows for certain? Anyone?
I can confirm this for you. Bought mine in Ottawa today and the problems are the same. First thing I did was try III and it's the exact same issue. No features beyond trailer.
Old 11-29-06, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Bits
Finally, for you international (non U.S.) customers who may have purchased the Region 1 sets online via Amazon, Warner is checking with Amazon to confirm arrangements to make the corrected discs available to you. We're waiting to hear back from WHV to see if there will be a phone number or mailing address that other international customers (who may have purchased R1 sets online) can use to get the corrected discs. We'll try to let you know.
Nice to see that happen but as Warner own a big chunk of Amazon it's no real surprise. I hope they help all retailers out.
Old 11-29-06, 12:36 PM

They are now taking addresses. Here is the procedure.

They are asking for names, addresses and phone #'s as well as where and when you bought the disc(s). They are also asking for the last 5 digits of the UPC (presumably to make sure you actually bought the thing.) They then send out a prepaid envelope for the bad disc(s) within 7-10 days, and I believe they said 2-3 weeks for the new discs to arrive.

If it is really as easy as this, all I can do is tip my hat to WB.

Derek
Old 11-29-06, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BabyBomber#1
They are now taking addresses. Here is the procedure.

They are asking for names, addresses and phone #'s as well as where and when you bought the disc(s). They are also asking for the last 5 digits of the UPC (presumably to make sure you actually bought the thing.) They then send out a prepaid envelope for the bad disc(s) within 7-10 days, and I believe they said 2-3 weeks for the new discs to arrive.

If it is really as easy as this, all I can do is tip my hat to WB.

Derek
what is the last 5 digits? i can't check at work
Old 11-29-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I encourage everyone who called before today and just left a name and number to call back. I did so tonight and left my address. I asked the girl on the other end if they would be sending one envelope for both DVDs, or one for each disc, and she didn't know...but I guess we'll see what Warners mails us. I'd hate to mail back both discs only to get ANOTHER envelope a few days later.
Old 11-29-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the thundercats replacement was the same basic set up. they mailed a new disc out with a pre stamped cardboard sleeve. you were on the honor system to send it back in.
Old 11-29-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The set on Amazon now shows up as "In stock on December 7, 2006." Will they be sending out corrected copies then? Cause I can just not bother with mailing discs to WB and just ask for an exchange from Amazon.
Old 11-29-06, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
the thundercats replacement was the same basic set up. they mailed a new disc out with a pre stamped cardboard sleeve. you were on the honor system to send it back in.
But it's not going to work like that for this. They're sending us only a prepaid envelope for us to mail back our faulty discs. Then we'll have to wait for them to mail the new discs back to us. I'm fine with it. I'm just a little anal about have to spend a couple of weeks with 2 missing discs wondering if they'll send me the new discs without any problems.
Old 11-29-06, 04:56 PM

Why don't they set up a web site or an email address to handle the return requests?

It's a lot easier to submit your information correctly that way.
Old 11-29-06, 06:33 PM

Seriously - while I appreciate the effort, I've been on hold for a ridiculous amount of time trying to rectify *their* error. I'm hanging up and calling back later.

Great looking set, though!
Old 11-29-06, 06:45 PM

Ok from what I have read here the Audio on Sups#1 2-channel audio is mixed up and Bonus content was omitted from the "Superman III Deluxe Edition" is missing.. but what is the missing content.. all of it or just one or two pieces??

Also with as busy as the '800'# is is there a web site for file with??
Old 11-30-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
For those of you that ordered via Amazon and (like me) have yet to receive your sets, call the 800# anymay and they will take your name, address and phone number, and give you an order number. When you get your set, call back, tell them the order number you were given and then tell them the last five digits of your set.
Old 11-30-06, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DEC29111
Ok from what I have read here the Audio on Sups#1 2-channel audio is mixed up and Bonus content was omitted from the "Superman III Deluxe Edition" is missing.. but what is the missing content.. all of it or just one or two pieces??
Deleted scenes, trailer, commentary, making of special.
Old 11-30-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it gonna be possible to exchange the set with Amazon?
Old 11-30-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
Is it gonna be possible to exchange the set with Amazon?
You may call and say you want an exchange as defective. If you do, report back to us here with what they tell you.
Old 11-30-06, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
The set on Amazon now shows up as "In stock on December 7, 2006." Will they be sending out corrected copies then?
That's the question I'm trying to get answered.

I haven't ordered the set yet but I can get confirmation that the ones shipping out on the 7th are the new, corrected versions- I'll place an order immediately.

Seems unlikely though.

Could they possibly get a second version together that quickly?

That's less than 2 weeks. It's possible but it seems unlikely.

I do think that amazon is waiting for more copies from Warner Brothers though, because yesterday the site said "5 copies left, order now" and today it says "available december 7th."

I assume this means they sold out and were waiting for more.

But again the question is- will the next batch be correct?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.