DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it's sold out here in Canada
Old 11-28-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Yeah, that was fast. Snagged one of the last 2 copies at Future Shop this morning, only to accidently dent my tin case on the way home (not a big one, but annoying anyway). Still, it's an amazing set. All the hyperbole is true.
Old 11-28-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
My Future shop is getting nine in tomorrow (snowy roads...the truck couldn't make it)...don't scare me like that
Old 11-28-06, 11:38 PM

I looked on Overstock.com today and their page for the collection said they were sold out which had me a little concerned, as I had pre-ordered from them. I chatted with one of their online reps who assured me that my order has been sent to the warehouse and should go out by the end of the week.
Old 11-29-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by advdfreak
Mine was the same too on the "Look In The Sky" doc. I am loving this set! Best dvd purchase of the year for me, even with all headaches of the wrong edition of Superman III and the missing 2.0 audio on Superman: The Movie!

I agree with you completely. Everything from the packaging to the production is all first rate. This is the best collector's set I've ever owned.
Old 11-29-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I went after work around 5:30 pm and they were all sold out near my area. I checked Future Shop and Wal-Mart.

Since it was the same price online, I ordered the set from Amazon.ca however, I won't be getting the set until sometimes next week.
Old 11-29-06, 06:32 AM
JM1

I have been working through the R3 edition over the last week, and am continually impressed with the quality of not just the movies themselves, but the extra material.

I had expected a lot of repetition, creaky old making of's and fluffy TV specials.

Firstly, the original making of docs on 2 and 3 are 50 mins, and have a lot of candid on set and on location stuff that I would not have expected to see ; the two main retrospective docs on the last two discs are quite recent and cover every aspect of Superman, including not just the movies, but the comics, tv shows, tv specials, lost pilots (Superpup?), musicals (yes, musicals), comedy skits, parodies and more.

There are interviews with just about everybody, including Golan and Globus, the terrible twins responsible for the debacle of Superman IV.

I really cannot think of anything else that they could have added to this set, and it looks like it's going to be a benchmark for all box sets to come.
Old 11-29-06, 08:00 AM
Banned

In this area I did not see alot of Ultimate Superman Sets to be had...At Target they had 4 sets, none at Walmart and maybe 10 at the local Best Buy. Watch out for the prices on Ebay!
Old 11-29-06, 08:29 AM

Anyone get a call back or different info. when calling WB today (Wednesday)?
Old 11-29-06, 09:04 AM
JM1

Is it really that difficult to get hold of these DVD's in the US in stores? (I am based in UK)

I often see threads like this, about certain stores having none at all, and other only a handful. I have also known people drive to stores a couple of towns away.

Perhaps I am being naive here I know, I live near central London, but even local stores where I live and work such as Woolworths, W H Smith HMV record stores and even supermarket chains like Sainsburys will stock the latest DVD's.

Is this an issue specific to certain regions, States or parts of the country, apart from the big Mall stores like Walmart, Best Buy etc are there no other outlets that stock them?

If that's the case, is it not better to order online rather than scour these outlets in vain?

Like I say, I may be naive here, I am not that well travelled in the US apart from some of the main cities, so be gentle with me, huh?
Old 11-29-06, 09:15 AM

These must be rare...alot of use that preordered from BN are now getting emails saying Warner has changed the release date and our isn't going out yet....Maybe we're getting the fixed version....or maybe they just didn't want to admit the under estimated how many they needed
Old 11-29-06, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cisman
These must be rare...alot of use that preordered from BN are now getting emails saying Warner has changed the release date and our isn't going out yet....Maybe we're getting the fixed version....or maybe they just didn't want to admit the under estimated how many they needed
i'm sure it is the latter. with the 25% discount i am positive they got inundated. the price now is $89.98 for non-members. i only ordered last week but will have in my hands midday today. guess it is the luck of the draw.
Old 11-29-06, 09:42 AM

Did Amazon change their release date? (Availability: In stock on December 6, 2006. ) When I originally placed my order I thought the release date was 11/28/06. Maybe they are waiting for the corrected sets which would be nice.
Old 11-29-06, 10:11 AM
Banned

Just confirmed Best Buy in this area of MA (6 locations near by) are ALL sold out of the Ultimate Set...
Old 11-29-06, 10:13 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know when futureshop or bestbuy etc here in Canada BC are getting more in? Even online they're sold out
Old 11-29-06, 10:36 AM
Banned

I also received the "delay" email from Barnes and Noble.

I'm wondering if WB got to retailers in time to have them stop shipping and send them back their stock. That would be much chepaer than sending out discs to individuals who received the set.
Old 11-29-06, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cardaway
I also received the "delay" email from Barnes and Noble.

I'm wondering if WB got to retailers in time to have them stop shipping and send them back their stock. That would be much chepaer than sending out discs to individuals who received the set.
No way they're doing that. The expense of shipping all those heavy tins back to the distributor, to be opened, re-packed with corrected discs, re-shrinkwrapped, and re-distributed, would be enormous. And they would be doing it for every single box, not just the ones whose buyers know or care about the exchange.

The cost of mailing individual discs just to people who requiest them is by far the cheaper option, especially since it doesn't involve losing those release-week sales.

I'm quite certain that B&N simply sold out, based on the unexpected demand produced by the 25% + AAA discound deal.

UPS says mine is being delivered today, and I didn't even place my order until Saturday.

RichC
Old 11-29-06, 10:55 AM

Well the upside to all these stores being sold out is that Warner Brothers will probably release another batch of sets rather quickly, right? I mean if the demand is as high as it seems to be? And hopefully that second batch will be correct, with no replacements involved, etc.

I wonder if the demand for this thing exceeded Warner's expectations?

Maybe they simply didn't make up enough copies?
Old 11-29-06, 11:23 AM

So I carefully shook a couple of tins last night and each of them had something rattling (from top to bottom) in them. It could have been a disc, but I wasn't sure. Anyone do this and can verify if it is indeed a disc or perhaps one of the extras the Ultimate Edition comes with?
Old 11-29-06, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
So I carefully shook a couple of tins last night and each of them had something rattling (from top to bottom) in them. It could have been a disc, but I wasn't sure. Anyone do this and can verify if it is indeed a disc or perhaps one of the extras the Ultimate Edition comes with?
What you heard was the large holographic case containing all the dvds in them and they are, or were very secure in my case.
My costco had a ton of these yesterday when I picked mine up!
Old 11-29-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
When I got mine, the Saga disc turned out to be loose. After a viewing though, things were OK.
Old 11-29-06, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The loose rattling could have been the booklets and small comic that came with set.
Old 11-29-06, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by smurr05
What you heard was the large holographic case containing all the dvds in them and they are, or were very secure in my case.
My costco had a ton of these yesterday when I picked mine up!
sounds good, i happy!
Old 11-29-06, 12:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So is there any reason (supplements, commentaries, audio tracks, etc.) to keep the original Superman DVD after getting the Ultimate Box (with corrected Superman (I) DVD)?
Old 11-29-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Got this today and although the last disc was off the hinges, it was fine. The packaging is very nice and sturdy, if a little difficult to remove the discs. My discs were all in good condition with no big scratches or marks. I'm a little peeved that I have to send two off but whatever. It's a great set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.