DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   [Superman] Ultimate Collector's Edition Super Blunder (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/484578-%5Bsuperman%5D-ultimate-collectors-edition-super-blunder.html)

Identify 11-25-06 05:26 AM

[Superman] Ultimate Collector's Edition Super Blunder - UPDATED!

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...r-blunder.html

Those of you who have pre-ordered copies of Warner Home Video's forthcoming Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition might want to think twice. Due to a massive technical blunder, the Superman III: Deluxe Edition discs contain the original 2001 release of the film, rather than the advertised disc with commentary, additional scenes and a vintage featurette.

Reports indicate that The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection and the individual release of Superman III: Deluxe Edition are unaffected. At this time there has been no word on whether or not Warner intend to issue replacement discs. Even if replacement discs are made available, non-US residents who purchased the set will most likely be left out in the cold. When you combine this with the fact that the advertised original 1978 Dolby Stereo soundtrack for Superman: The Movie is also missing, what could have been the year's best release becomes a less than attractive proposition...

Update!

Statement from Warner Home Video, November 27, 2006

Bonus content was omitted from the "Superman III Deluxe Edition" in the 14-disc "Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition." Furthermore, disc one of "Superman: The Movie Four Disc Special Edition" did not include the Dolby Digital 2.0 mix. Neither disc is known to be physically defective in any way.

Warner Home Video wants to extend apologies to all of our loyal Superman fans who've waited so patiently for these great collections and has taken immediate steps to correct these errors with the intention of standing behind our product 100%.

Replacement discs can be obtained by calling: 800-553-6937. The exchange program applies only to purchases of the “Superman III Deluxe Edition” in the “Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition” and to disc one of “Superman: The Movie Four Disc Special Edition,” available as a single title, as well as in “The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection” and in the “Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition.”

Identify 11-25-06 05:28 AM

Yes I understand there is an official Superman thread, but I felt this warranted it's own thread. Mods, please delete this if you disagree.

GIjon213 11-25-06 08:10 AM

I, for one, this this is needed. You would have to sift through several thread to find similar info. People who are buying need to know this. Personally, this has changed my mind on if I am going to buy it right from the get-go, or if I will wait. I chose the latter.

dx23 11-25-06 08:38 AM

Already being discussed heavily here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....24#post7461724

GuessWho 11-25-06 09:03 AM

I'm fine with this and will still buy the set. If there's a replacement program, I'll participate.

To me, not a big deal:

My original plan was to only buy I, II, Donner & Returns. the only reason I'm getting the box (and therefore, III), is because its cheaper than buying the individuals of what I truly want.

GIjon213 11-25-06 09:29 AM

DVDActive is now talking about it.

GuessWho 11-25-06 09:30 AM

Did you not see the first post in this thread?

GIjon213 11-25-06 09:59 AM

:o :blush: Oh, yeah,.... I...just...thought..there should be a link down here....

The Valeyard 11-25-06 11:38 AM

Maybe he thought someone shouldn't have to wade through all the posts just to get the info.

Wildo1966 11-25-06 12:10 PM

Looks like I am buying the Ultimate Set plus Part III by itself on Tuesday....What can I say, I can't wait for a replacement disk!

digitalfreaknyc 11-25-06 12:51 PM

Yeah methinks this deserves it's own thread since there will surely be a replacement program. Someone fucked up BIG TIME.

dvd_luver 11-25-06 12:52 PM

I agree, it should have it's own thread as many people will want to come to vent or seek info on how to replace the disc.

advdfreak 11-25-06 01:20 PM

I plan on buying the set still only because I want all of the bonus discs. I can live without Superman III until a replacement program is issued. I also agree that this topic needs its own thread.

JamesDFarrow 11-25-06 01:26 PM

Hopefully they send out the replacement disc as fast as they did for the Tom & Jerry DVDs.

James ;-)

JarJarBinks 11-25-06 02:14 PM

Considering I doubt that there will be a massive attempt to defraud WB over replacement copies of Superman III, we shouldn't even have to send our original disc back in this case. It's such a major fark up with such a major release, that all we should have to do is call and give our information. The extra SIII disc we can use as a coaster. Or we can use it to re-enact the 'Cellophane S-Shield' scene from Superman II. ;) :D

DJariya 11-25-06 02:29 PM

My question is why the fuck were the 2001 Superman III discs laying around the packing area in the 1st place? Should Warner have packed away all the remaining discs from the 2001 set and either destroyed them or throw them into the archives somewhere?

JarJarBinks 11-25-06 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
My question is why the fuck were the 2001 Superman III discs laying around the packing area in the 1st place? Should Warner have packed away all the remaining discs from the 2001 set and either destroyed them or throw them into the archives somewhere?

They arn't 2001 Superman III discs. They are the correct Deluxe Edition discs for the UCE. But the content of the disc is the files for the 2001 version, instead of the Deluxe Edition. But the point is still valid. Why and more importantly how did such a massive monumental blunder occur.

DJariya 11-25-06 02:41 PM

Oh okay, then why the hell were those files laying still laying around? The idiots who mastered all those discs should be fired and never allowed to work in a DVD production plant ever again.

Simpson Purist 11-25-06 02:43 PM

Damn, and I really wanted this set for Christmas too.

Fok 11-25-06 02:47 PM

Man this really fucks up my week :mad:

dvd_luver 11-25-06 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The idiots who mastered all those discs should be fired and never allowed to work in a DVD production plant ever again.

These were manufactured in a planet with a group of chimps leading the way! mistakes happen LOL! j/k! -- Yeah, I agree, this is pure carelessness and they should be fired for it.

kevkev 11-25-06 03:22 PM

a similar thing happened with the long over due region 2 release of the goonies. the commentary wasnt on the disc. i think they had to return the old disc. good job i didnt buy this set. i doubt i could get a refund as i'd have to import the set.

Takeshi357 11-25-06 03:36 PM

Super blunder...sounds like something straight out of superdickery...

The Valeyard 11-25-06 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Super blunder...sounds like something straight out of superdickery...

http://www.superdickery.com/images/dick/1027_4_030.jpg

FRwL 11-25-06 04:45 PM

Guys, just buy the Chris Reeve set and Supes II DC separately/ The only really worthwile thing you're missing from the Ultimate coll. is the docs... i'm sure they'll be rerun many times in the future like the Empire of Dreams doc was.