Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for good DVD inventory program

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looking for good DVD inventory program

Old 10-09-06, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using DVDTheque with my Mac. I like it because it allows me link my stored movie trailers directly to the movie profiles stored in the DVDTheque program. The bad part about the program is it uses some weird websites in Europe to gather its information but it's free and the guy gives excellent support.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...fo#screenshots
Old 10-09-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Delicious Library is easily the best. I have tried em all. Only downer is it costs $40. However, you can use your iSight to add movies like a scanner for bar code.

Great program!
Old 10-10-06, 02:29 PM

I use both DVDSpot and DVDProfiler. I primarily use DVDSpot for the database and DVDProfiler for the hi-res cover images , due to storage of my DVD's in binders. To me DVDSpot is the best.
Old 10-27-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
I've been playing around with Collectorz and was wondering if anyone knows of a source to download the spines of DVD's. There's a template that allows you to view your collection by spines but unfortunately you have to scan each individual title to get it to work. With over 900 titles, this just isn't worth it to me. Here's a sample pic:
Old 10-27-06, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. i use dvdaficionado, but i think i'm gonna use Delicious Library for my mac. that looks amazing.
Old 10-27-06, 03:40 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheySentYou
wow. i use dvdaficionado, but i think i'm gonna use Delicious Library for my mac. that looks amazing.
Agreed, but it could use a "spine view" feature like the app from Collectorz.com (shown above) -- that's pretty cool!
Old 10-27-06, 03:41 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by John Galt
I've been playing around with Collectorz and was wondering if anyone knows of a source to download the spines of DVD's.
Well, you could always download the full cover and crop the image...
Old 10-27-06, 04:02 PM

John Galt,

How have you been inputing your DVD info in Collectorz?

I used the automatic input method searching several databases, but I found you have to manually select the DVD's from the search results to get the data.

Have you run into that?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-27-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I use Movie Collector as well, and you will have to choose the correct version if there are more than one. The only way to get an instant match is if you use a bar code reader with the program. Once you do choose a version though, any future updates through the web on that title will be automatic. I pretty much stick with IMDB & DVD Empire (with DVD Empire for the cover downloads)
Old 10-27-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there one that let's me sort by director or genre? Also, DVDSpot asks me every time if I am sure I want to add this title.

Last edited by NoirFan; 10-27-06 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Well, you could always download the full cover and crop the image...
Are you referring to one of the cover sites to download from? If so, the amount of credits that would be required would be way too much for what I would get in return. I mainly want to do this so I can output it as a .html site and put it up on the web. If you're talking about something else could you elaborate a little more? Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 10-27-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Is there one that let's me sort by director or genre? Also, DVDSpot asks me every time if I am sure I want to add this title.
With Movie Collector you can sort by anything you want. You can even create and add your own fields for searching and sorting.
Old 10-27-06, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by SeattleSteve
John Galt,

How have you been inputing your DVD info in Collectorz?

I used the automatic input method searching several databases, but I found you have to manually select the DVD's from the search results to get the data.

Have you run into that?

Thanks,

Steve
I've been inputting them automatically by typing in the barcodes and haven't run into that problem. Here's the steps I take:
1. Type in barcode
2. Select Add to Queue
3. Repeat 1 and 2 till all movies have been added
4. Select search (I have imdb, amazon, collectorz and dvdempire selected for sources)
5. Select Add

I havent had to go through any to select the specific version yet, however I'm currently on the road working on some campaigns so I only have about 15 movies with me to add. I have had a couple where they showed a different cover and I had to search other sites to find the correct one which was a royal pain in the ass. If anyone has an easy solution to that, please share.
Old 10-27-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know how to delete an account with DVD Aficianado? Looks like I had an old one from years ago...
Old 10-27-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been inputting them automatically by typing in the barcodes and haven't run into that problem. Here's the steps I take:
1. Type in barcode
2. Select Add to Queue
3. Repeat 1 and 2 till all movies have been added
4. Select search (I have imdb, amazon, collectorz and dvdempire selected for sources)
5. Select Add

I havent had to go through any to select the specific version yet, however I'm currently on the road working on some campaigns so I only have about 15 movies with me to add. I have had a couple where they showed a different cover and I had to search other sites to find the correct one which was a royal pain in the ass. If anyone has an easy solution to that, please share.
I do know that the cover image that is downloaded into the collection comes from the first source listed/sourced. I haven't updated since they added collectorz as a source because I use custom templates that may get overwritten if I download the new version over my old one and I'm just been too lazy to copy the template files to another folder to protect them first. I use dvdempire(first source) and imdb(second source). dvdempire has the best covers and gives you the tech specs. imdb fillsin correct country and character fields for the actors. Amazon has nothing you need unless you're entering dvds from other regions. Another thing I do, since I like a seperate entry/cover for each movie in a box set, is set amazon to vhs and as your first source. This allows you to download the vhs cover for individual movies only available in box sets on dvd(indiana jones, back to the future, universal franchise collections, etc).
Old 10-27-06, 10:08 PM

Yeah, those were all the default sources and I haven't changed them at all.
Old 10-28-06, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, those were all the default sources and I haven't changed them at all.
But which one is at the top of list? That is the source the cover image will come from. If imdb is top of the list, then the cover image you will get is the one that imdb has on their website for that movie, etc. Change the order of the sources until the one that gives you the covers you want is at the top of the list.
Old 10-28-06, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll change that when I get home and add the rest of my DVDs.
Old 10-28-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have a DVD Aficionado account that I keep (relatively) up-to-date, but I've been poking around, and it doesn't look like they have a feature that allows you to export a list of your DVDs in a spreadsheet format. The PDA Helper is the only thing that I could find, and that doesn't help me. Do any of these (preferably free) programs allow the user to export their collection list to a spreadsheet? Thanks in advance.

cheers,

-the Jesus

Last edited by cupcake jesus; 10-28-06 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 08:24 AM

I use Dvdaficionado.com, like it a lot, more than most looks like. But my computer is old and too slow to run most of the tracker programs so I don't really have too much experience with them. So my vote goes to DVDaficionado.
Old 10-28-06, 09:03 AM

Is there anyway with Delicious Library to import your lists from dvdaficionado or a document list used in Microsoft Word or Pages?

Would be annoying to re-enter all the 500+ titles.
Old 10-28-06, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BlueMan1
I have a Mac and I use DVDpedia. I am very happy with it.

Here is my collection web page, generated by DVDpedia.

I used to use Delicious Library, I like the look of the UI better than DVDpedia's, but it still doesn't have the very good Web exporting.
I like that a lot, particularly the summary page when you double click on the image. Thanks for sharing. A few questions:

1) So it exports the data into HTML and you load it on your own webpage?
2) Does the database include non-R1 dvds?
3) any PDA support? That is one feature I really like on DVDAficionado although, I've got too many dvds entered now and my pda phone will only show the first 500.
Old 10-28-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Started on my DVD Aficianado account, and I noticed that several titles have the word 'edited' in the description. Anyone know the deal with this?
Old 10-28-06, 11:49 AM

I use DVDProfiler (and DVDTracker). I have my whole collection in both, but only the purchase date/place/price is complete in DVDTracker. Now that DVDTracker is DOA with respect to new releases, I'm slowly transferring the purchase info over to DVD Profiler and will eventually use that one alone.

I've also figured out how to upload the web version of DVDProfiler to my Palm PDA, including cover images, using iSilo, so that's the biggest reason I'm sticking with DVDProfiler.

Let me know if anyone is interested in the upload method and I'll write up some steps.
Old 10-28-06, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nosebleed
MediaMan is a Delicious Library-like program for Windows.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this! I just tried it out yesterday, and so far I'm loving it. I haven't played around with it too much, but my only gripe with it right now is you can't sort them in the order you want them, just from the order options they give you. But hopefully with some more exploring I can fix this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.