Looking for good DVD inventory program

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looking for good DVD inventory program

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you finished with the Mac fanboyism yet? I personally don't care about iTunes, and I don't care about your precious Delicious Library program, either. There are plenty of PC programs that can be used. So please take your "you were all stupid for buying PCs" comments somewhere else (try delusional.com). OK, I'm going to go play a game of Maelstrom on my PC now.
Old 09-27-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would also recommend dvd profiler.
Old 09-27-06, 05:01 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
...each OS has it's +s and -s.
Oh yes, I forgot. Everything's equal, nothing's good or bad, because this is the internet and we can't hurt anybody's feelings by telling the truth, can we?

Look, the program simply doesn't exist for Windows, and it has nothing to do with Microsoft, or even Apple for that matter. Sure, each OS might have a certain number of advantages and disadvantages, but not an EQUAL number, which is my point.

You obviously don't realize that you can buy a Mac Mini for $499 and run both Mac OS *and* Windows on it, thereby skewering the myth that more software runs on a PC. As I often tell people, if you need a screwdriver, it doesn't matter that you've got a dozen hammers in your toolbox. If you want to use Delicious Library, you have to be running Mac OS 10.3 or later, but if you want to run any of the Windows database apps, you can either use a PC or a Mac. The fact that PC hardware is cheaper yet Apple hardware is more reliable doesn't exactly make them even in my eyes.
Old 09-27-06, 05:04 PM
Bye

[QUOTE=DVD Josh]I removed the comment because it was not clear that the "bastards" comment carried over from my previous post.[QUOTE]

Yeah, that was pretty unclear, because right after you wrote "Bastards!" you quoted from the developer's website. Sounds to me like you wanted to preserve your argument, not clarify your post.
Old 09-27-06, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod note: Please drop the PC v MAC sub topic. Any further posts along those lines will be deleted.
Old 09-27-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyways, back on TOPIC, I've read some members say that DVD Profiler may pull the plug soon. I've yet to purchase a program, but I'm leaning towards collectorz. I have the demo version and am impressed, especially since with the pro version you can export to html. Also, it keeps up with stats as far as % of genres you own, etc.
Old 09-27-06, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I have the demo version and am impressed, especially since with the pro version you can export to html. Also, it keeps up with stats as far as % of genres you own, etc.
FWIW, you can do both of those things with AMC, and it's free.
Stats
HTML example
But I've been manually adding cover art, which is a little annoying.
Old 09-27-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyways, back on TOPIC, I've read some members say that DVD Profiler may pull the plug soon.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Delicious Library is the way to go, although I do also keep several lengthy word docs for printing and sharing purposes

Old 09-28-06, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I paid for DVD Profiler long enough and while it has problems now and then I can't see myself moving onto anything else in the near future. The program does what I need and I felt it was worth paying for since it saves me time and hassle. I do miss the little scanner I once used to enter things in but tying the UPC isn't that bad.

Each program offers something and they are different enough that they all cater to a certain crowd.
Old 09-28-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
anyways, back on TOPIC, I've read some members say that DVD Profiler may pull the plug soon.
There are rumors but no evidence other than them not releasing an update for a long time. People have said the same thing about most of the other cataloging programs (but DVD Profiler has the advantage that, if the site goes down, while it won't be as cool, it'll still function).

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-28-06 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
another vote for dvd profiler
Old 09-28-06, 05:58 AM

Have tried most of the web based and pc based tracking software and I seem to keep coming back to dvd profiler. Try the free version -- no limit on it except the inability to turn off some minor advertisements on the webpage it builds and low-res covers.

-Tim
Old 09-28-06, 06:59 AM

I use DVD Profiler as my main catalog. I also recently imported my collection into DVD Spot to check it out because of the stats (but those aren't the most accurate).
Old 09-28-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen
There are rumors but no evidence other than them not releasing an update for a long time. People have said the same thing about most of the other cataloging programs (but DVD Profiler has the advantage that, if the site goes down, while it won't be as cool, it'll still function).
Yeah, unlike the other online sites you have the database local so you can still use it whihc is a big plus in my book. It's just that updating manually can become tedious with a lot of titles.
Old 09-28-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDSpot.com

It's free, it has the best tracking for various aspects of your collection, it's easy to submit items that they don't have in the database, and new submissions get accepted quickly. Not to mention it has a "movie night" function where you can schedule what movies you want to watch. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

I've tried DVDafficianado and DVDProfiler in the past. Afficianado had a tendancy to add items to my collection that not only did I not own, but wouldn't be out for years (Simpsons season 11, for example). DVDProfiler was nice, but their new item submission system was a pain in the ass, and then the site disappeared for several weeks and the guy running it kept lying about why it was down. I don't trust any site that does that.

I would suggest, though, that you find two sites to track your collection. That way if one unexpectedly disappears, you have your collection entered somewhere else.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 09-28-06 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 08:24 AM

DVD Profiler looks like it is dead or dying. They have not released any updates for almost a year, and a previous post mentioned that the owner was "lying" about his site being down for awhile.

As a software developer myself I know that "free upgrades for life" is the kiss of death for most software companies. You can't run a business that way.

So far, Collectorz.com seems to be my favorite. BTW, it includes a feature to automatically import your DVD Profiler DB into it. Which is another indication that many people are bailing out on DVD Profiler and switching to Collectorz.

But I'm open to more opinions.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by SeattleSteve; 09-28-06 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
DVDProfiler was nice, but their new item submission system was a pain in the ass, and then the site disappeared for several weeks and the guy running it kept lying about why it was down. I don't trust any site that does that.
Um...when? I've used DVD Profiler for years, and can't remember the site going down for "several weeks". A day or two, perhaps...but never multiple weeks.

..and trust me, I update every week...

DVD Profiler would definitely get my vote...if for no other reason, as others have said, there is both an online AND local component.
Old 09-28-06, 10:07 AM

While DVD Profiler hasn't released any software updates for almost a year, I see no problem using the current software they have available. They still update dvd profiles every week and unless they stop doing that, I'll continue to use it. It gives you it's own dvd webpage for you collection so everyone can look at it by going to the webpage and you can also have it locally on your pc. I happen to have it on both my home and work pc.

That being said, it's always nice to have a simple backup which is why I use DVD Aficionado. It's not as detailed as other programs I've seen but it does the job.
Old 09-28-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SteveBlair
Um...when? I've used DVD Profiler for years, and can't remember the site going down for "several weeks". A day or two, perhaps...but never multiple weeks.

..and trust me, I update every week...

This would have been around 2002, I think. I remember that there was a big duscussion thread around here about it, where people started comparing his claims with the evidence they collected, and they just didn't match up. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact evidence, and I'm sure the thread is long gone (if I could remember my old username / password I could check my old account and see if the thread was still listed in my posting history), but I do remember that it was enough for some of us to say we just didn't trust Profiler anymore.
Old 09-28-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well hopefully DVDP doesn't shut down, as I have contributed to the program.
Old 09-28-06, 10:32 AM

I'm still shopping, but a nice thing about the Collectorz program is that you can download DVD data from a variety of sources, including the Colllectorz.com database, Amazon.com (US + 5 other countries), IMDB, DVD Empire, DVD Shop, Atlantic DVD and DVD Fr.

So you don't have to worry about whether their site goes down because there are many other data sources.
Old 09-28-06, 10:54 AM
Banned

I was looking at the Collectorz program also but I did a quick check and there were a few sets I could not find. The Matrix SE Set with Neo Bust I could not find, I could not find the Planet Of The Apes set with Ape Bust, and also the Masters Of Horrors series of dvds were barely listed..I found 3..This program is recommended??
Old 09-28-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like DVDSpot. My favoite thing is that it lets you keep of DVDs you've watched as well as DVDs you own - and you don't have to own a DVD to have watched it. I like to keep track of what I've seen through Netflix or wherever, and i think it's interesting to look back on my viewing habits, see how often I've watched a disc that I own, etc.

Not everyone will care to do this, but I think it's pretty neat to be able to.
Old 09-28-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

new to this also, looking through looks like dvdspot.com and profiler are coming up the most, is profiler also free?

OP, How about a poll?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.