DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looking for good DVD inventory program

Old 09-28-06, 11:56 AM

Profiler is free, however if you register for $25 you get hi-res scans and the ability to turn the small ad window and the top of the local app on or off.
Old 09-28-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember, using Profiler's free version, you're limited to about 400 dvds to enter. To input more you have to buy the software.
Old 09-28-06, 01:09 PM

I am pretty sure DVDProfiler doesn't limit you to 400 entries, as I am well over 1400 and have yet to upgrade to the premier subscribtion.
Old 09-28-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Remember, using Profiler's free version, you're limited to about 400 dvds to enter. To input more you have to buy the software.
I don't think this is entirely true. I think you can only store about 400 titles on the free webspace they provide for looking at your account online. However, you can store as many as you want on the local software.
Old 09-28-06, 01:11 PM

The limitation is based on the amount of data you have locked I believe.
Old 09-28-06, 01:18 PM
Bye

One nitpick I have about Delicious Library after only a night's use is that every title is shown to be in a black Amaray-type case. I'm impressed by the effect, but it looks a little odd to see the cover of a TV season box appear to be a single Amaray case. Support for different packaging types is an upgrade I'd very much like to see in the future, but just in case I'm missing something I'll check the site again.
Old 09-28-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to those who recommended DVDSpot! My DVdAficionado list has been inactive for 2 years as I wasn't too happy with it (can't complain though - its free!). I took a quick look at DVDSpot, was impressed, have registered, and will build my list.
Old 09-28-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
I was looking at the Collectorz program also but I did a quick check and there were a few sets I could not find. The Matrix SE Set with Neo Bust I could not find, I could not find the Planet Of The Apes set with Ape Bust, and also the Masters Of Horrors series of dvds were barely listed..I found 3..This program is recommended??
I've got Movie Collector and got search results fior the Planet of the Apes head and all the Masters of Horror dvds(singles and double features). This program does everything all the others do. Can't think of anything I haven't been able to do with it. Also you are not limited to what is released on dvd. You can enter your vhs and laserdiscs. Can enter anything you may have recorded yourself off tv that has never been released in any format. If it's listed at IMDB you can download the info. You can add links to episode guides to you tv sets or any website there is. Add a link to the trailer online or if you have trailers downloaded to your hard drive, a link to the file. You can have as many databases as you want, seperate ones for adult, tv series, kids dvds. Numerous viewing and printing templates. Can view by list, folders, thumbnails. Sort the data any way you want. Batch editing. One thing I did was list each Looney Toon and Three Stooges short seperately. Just download all the info from IMDB with the cover picture of which dvd or tape they are on. When a new set is released I just bring up my list of Looney Toons/Stooges, change VHS to DVD and repolace the cover image.
I've had the program a little over two years and still find new things I can do with it.
Old 10-07-06, 09:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I have over 1000 titles in my collection, and am constantly putting off organizing them.

I think I'm going to give DVD Spot a try.
Old 10-07-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVDAficionado has always done the trick for me, but yeah, DVDProfiler is decent for all of those people who want to have almost any piece of info on the DVD they need.
Old 10-07-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the first I've heard the rumors of DVDProfiler going away.
I think its a great program and well worth the $25 registration fee.
I tried some others like DVDAficianado and just didn't like it as much.

My vote would definitely be for DVDProfiler.

That Delicious Library does look pretty cool.
Doing a quick search, I found this program which appears to be basically a port of DL to windows.

http://www.imediaman.com/products/me...-overview.html

I haven't tried it out yet.

Last edited by Brett; 10-07-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-06, 07:10 PM

You can use DVD Profiler and import your data into Movie Collector if it goes belly up. Movie Collector is set up to import DVD Profiler files specficially -- so they must have lots of converts.

The rumors about DVD Profiler are due to the fact that there have been no upgrades for over a year, while Movie Collector released its latest upgrade just last month.
Old 10-07-06, 07:53 PM

Used DVD Profiler for awhile, and started to use DVD Spot recently. While I keep both up to date I really have started to like Spot better than DVD Profiler.
Old 10-07-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought the full version from Collectorz.com. If you try out the trial version, they send you a $4.00 off coupon on a full version. I chose standard and got it for $20.95. Then they send you a $8.00 off coupon on another product. The Pro version allows you to export to html so you can display your list to the public. I'm going to mess with the standard first and then likely upgrade to pro later. This site updates often so it appears they'll be around for quite a while. This software seems to offer the most features.
Old 10-08-06, 11:13 AM

I have a Mac and I use DVDpedia. I am very happy with it.

Here is my collection web page, generated by DVDpedia.

I used to use Delicious Library, I like the look of the UI better than DVDpedia's, but it still doesn't have the very good Web exporting.
Old 10-08-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BlueMan1
I have a Mac and I use DVDpedia. I am very happy with it.

Here is my collection web page, generated by DVDpedia.
I randomly clicked on 12 Monkeys and noticed the actual dvd details is the review by Randy Miller III (DVDTalk.com). Is that something customized individually or does DVDTalk partner with them and supply the reviews?
Old 10-08-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD Profiler registered version also has "Movie Pick", an applet that suggests what DVDs to watch: based on your present mood, which discs you haven't watched yet or for awhile, which actors are in it, some pseudo-randomness, and a few other factors you can set up to quickly find something to watch.
Old 10-08-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MediaMan is a Delicious Library-like program for Windows.

Old 10-08-06, 08:10 PM

I like Movie Collectorz. www.collectorz.com

I use Book Collectorz as well.
Old 10-09-06, 03:32 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Nosebleed
MediaMan is a Delicious Library-like program for Windows.
(image deleted to save space)

Wow, that's so close to DL it's scary! Somebody oughta sue!

Seriously though, it's great to see that something so close to DL (or even better?) is available for Windows. If I were a PC user, that's the one I'd use.
Old 10-09-06, 04:27 PM

One more vote for
dvdaficionado.com & dvdspot.com
Old 10-09-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought the Movie Collectorz software, but I may have to try out the one from MediaMan. that looks niiiice.

How long has that site been up and running?
Old 10-09-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question for those using MediaMan, is there an easy way to mass upload titles? I've been playing around with the program and like it for the most part but it seems like you have to import the titles one at a time.
Old 10-09-06, 07:37 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by John Galt
Question for those using MediaMan, is there an easy way to mass upload titles? I've been playing around with the program and like it for the most part but it seems like you have to import the titles one at a time.
Well, I've never used it of course, but there was a question in the support section that said something about a webcam. It seems that this program works very much like Delicious Library in that you can use a webcam or other video device to scan in the barcodes of your DVD. Technically, that still means you need to import titles one at a time, but scanning would be much quicker than typing in titles manually.
Old 10-09-06, 08:10 PM

I use DVD Profiler, and have for a while now. It does have its plusses and minuses. The main drawback is the tediousness of submitting/manuall adding new DVD's. I am happy with the current version of the software, and it is a user run database. So, as long as the database doesnt go away, the program should continue to function. Some things I like about it are the ability to click on one actor/crew member from a film and see all the other films I own that feature that person. I also like the ability to add personalized "tags". I can tag a film as OOP, oscar winner, criterion, disney, watched/unwatched, and then filter the collection to see only those in the selected category. Also, it does lots of nice charts and graphs for everything from purchase date to production year. And it looks pretty darn good too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.