Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: Infinifilm Edition -9/26/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 10:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
So, are all the audio "defects" in the DTS soundtrack (US edition)?
They're all over. For instance, the music sting when Rod jumps out of the bushes at Nancy is gone on all audio tracks on the disc as is the sound effect of Tina ripping off Freddy's face, while the two instances I pointed out earlier are missing from the original theatrical mono track. Its just a mess. For the people that don't care and are going to buy the disc anyway, hey, ignorance is bliss so enjoy it. But I hope New Line offers some kind of repressing for people like myself and the previous poster who mentioned knowing the film like the back of his eyelids.
Old 09-28-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HalloweeNightJW
as is the sound effect of Tina ripping off Freddy's face
No, it's still in there. It's just quieter than it originally was.
Old 09-28-06, 06:11 PM

Maybe it's a mistake and NL will fix it? =|
Old 09-28-06, 06:36 PM

Is it me, or are some of the pictures of Freddy on the back cover and on the discs from Nightmare 3?
Old 09-28-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by freshticles
well after reading all of this, I'm making a complete pass...
I was thinking the same thing.

Those that are upset over the audio mess-up, would you say it's better to pick up the current boxset since it's fairly cheap?
Old 09-28-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus

Those that are upset over the audio mess-up, would you say it's better to pick up the current boxset since it's fairly cheap?
Yes All 16.9,all with original mono or stereo mixes and a 5.1 remix. 7 films for $40 or less is quite a steal.

I just returned the dvd today after class,though had to do a switcherroo since it was open. First I returned it to the Best Buy I bought it from ,which was near school and exchanged for a new copy(claimed mine was 'defected'). Then I stopped into the Best Buy near my house and got a refund. I've never done this before,but just had to in this case.

If it were one audio cue missing,I could live with that. But since there are alot of effects missing,and the mono is basically a downmix of the 5.1 tracks(despite one mono original effect being intact). It's a ripoff in my opinion and I'd rather not waste money on it,unless New Line corrects the major mistakes.
Old 09-28-06, 07:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
question: is this scene intact for the new edition?

(from imdb): The US release trims the scene where Tina falls from her bedroom ceiling, missing out the subsequent splash of blood that flies up as she hits the bed. This scene was included in the original UK cinema and video release on the CBS/Fox label. However, the version re-issued on DVD and video in the late-'90s on the Entertainment in Video label uses the cut US version.
Old 09-28-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
This did not, in fact, come with an insert? Correct?
Old 09-28-06, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
question: is this scene intact for the new edition?

(from imdb): The US release trims the scene where Tina falls from her bedroom ceiling, missing out the subsequent splash of blood that flies up as she hits the bed. This scene was included in the original UK cinema and video release on the CBS/Fox label. However, the version re-issued on DVD and video in the late-'90s on the Entertainment in Video label uses the cut US version.
Nope, same old cut we've always had, though it is included in the extras.
Old 09-28-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This release looks so good, I actually wish I was a fan of the Nightmare franchise. I don't dislike it, I've just never been particularly drawn to it. Friday the 13th is the same. Only ones I really go for are Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason.

Amazing, though, how some DVD releases are put together so well that I get tempted even when I don't care all that much for the movie. Never used to happen in the days of VHS.

--THX
Old 09-28-06, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Willh51
This did not, in fact, come with an insert? Correct?
Mine had an insert for some overpriced TCM, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th figurines.
Old 09-28-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by starecase
Mine had an insert for some overpriced TCM, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th figurines.
Mine too, thanks!
Old 09-28-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
This release looks so good, I actually wish I was a fan of the Nightmare franchise. I don't dislike it, I've just never been particularly drawn to it. Friday the 13th is the same. Only ones I really go for are Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason.
Wait, how can you like Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and not like the original? To me, New Nightmare works a lot better if you know the original really well.
Old 09-28-06, 08:34 PM

I just started rewatching this for the first time in a while, and I guess I was right about the cover. Why would New Line use pictures from later films in the series?
Old 09-28-06, 10:12 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
Is it me, or are some of the pictures of Freddy on the back cover and on the discs from Nightmare 3?
NIGHTMARE 4 actually. New Line are geniuses. Infinifilm everyone... Quality at its highest.
Old 09-28-06, 10:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by TomOpus

Definitely. Even though visually the new ELM STREET disc has a better transfer than the one in the box set, for $40 you can't really go wrong.
Old 09-28-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished watching the new DVD, and to be honest, the sound cues didn't really bother me all that much. It was the same version they showed during the big screen exhibition last week.

The transfer is incredible. The 1999 DVD looked really good, but this one brings it up a couple notches. The sound is where all the major improvement went into.

Yeah, the back cover is kinda misleading, but that doesn't take away from the film as a whole. This set is a can't miss.
Old 09-28-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX

Amazing, though, how some DVD releases are put together so well that I get tempted even when I don't care all that much for the movie. Never used to happen in the days of VHS.

--THX
Damn same here. I only have FvJ on DVD and now this. Finished watching the extras last night and must say this is a great DVD. I borrowed the box sets for both Freddy & Jason like a year ago and could care less for them, other than NEW NIGHTMARE. I hope they release a 2 discer for it. I loved it when companies release fully packed DVD's and that gets me to finally getting the movie or sometimes even watching it for the first time, like the other sweet ass release TCM: 2 disc UE!
Old 09-29-06, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All those audio cuts are unacceptable. I was thinking about geting this seeing as how it is one of my favorite horror films, but now I'll pass. What a shame.
Old 09-29-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've never seen any of the Nightmare movies and iam not sure whether i should get this new 2-disc set or the boxset.or wait cos they might revisit the sequels too?
Old 09-29-06, 07:37 AM

Yeah, my wife and I watched it last night, having not seen it since 1986 or so. It's really a bad movie....I didn't remember it being this silly.

But then, I was a kid.
Old 09-29-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've already bought my copy and opened it and threw away the receipt. Had I known about the missing audio effects, I would have passed. But the new features should help a little. I still have my boxset to fall back on. I'll watch it next month and hope I don't notice a big difference.
Old 09-29-06, 06:51 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn picked this up today, I knew I should have checked this thread out first.
Old 09-29-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Yeah, my wife and I watched it last night, having not seen it since 1986 or so. It's really a bad movie....I didn't remember it being this silly.

But then, I was a kid.
Some aspects of the movie may seem goofy now, but I feel the movie has pretty much stayed true to it's original idea and execution. Craven's version of Freddy is a lot different than the sequels made him out.

I can see why some people might laugh during certain scenes in the movie, I just look at it from a different point of view.

About the audio edits: It's really not that bad, the small cuts really don't affect the movie that much. I might even say that they make the movie slightly better. I mean, how much was actually cut out... about five seconds of sound effects?

Last edited by Abe.; 09-29-06 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-29-06, 11:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
So could somebody list the new extras that are exclusive to this disc?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.