Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X-Files new releases

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now we've gone from people complaining about the loss of the 7th disk to people complaining about people complaining about the loss of the 7th disk.

Old 01-31-06, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanxx man
Old 01-31-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How long are they on sale for at BB? I have some money coming my way Friday, but I could always charge it...
Old 01-31-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
How long are they on sale for at BB? I have some money coming my way Friday, but I could always charge it...
The usual, through Saturday.
Old 01-31-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the bonus discs will be in the Complete Series Box Set?
Old 01-31-06, 02:50 PM
Banned

I wonder if the bonus discs will be in the Complete Series Box Set?
Well, there probably never even will be a "Complete Series" box set in the US. They've been available for years in other countries but the major studios seem reluctant to release things at such a high price point here. Other countries got their complete sets, we get the cheap seasons minus the extras and the even-cheaper Mythology sets.
Old 01-31-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
You know what, if you want them that bad, go to Amazon and pay 800 dollars plus tax for the entire original collection. Stop complaining people. The price drops from 100 to 35 and you want to complain about the loss of the extra features on one disc when the price is MORE than fifty percent off its original value? And they're 25 dollars a piece if you buy them at Best Buy at the same time! That's 75% off. So uh, you can spend the 100 bucks if you want, or, you could buy the cheaper sets that's 'cheaper' in value than the original set as well. Seems more than fair to me!
No need for ranting.

They didn't need to drop special features. Not like another disc costs them more than a few cents.

The big box sets will drop to the same price as the thin packs. Not like stores keep the original releases at full price. It'll just turn into a scrounge-fest of ebay and instore to find them at the new price.

Of course, I would have preferred thinpaks to save space instead of the annoying big foldout box, but hey, guess not.
Old 01-31-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Well, there probably never even will be a "Complete Series" box set in the US. They've been available for years in other countries but the major studios seem reluctant to release things at such a high price point here. Other countries got their complete sets, we get the cheap seasons minus the extras and the even-cheaper Mythology sets.
Fox released the "Chosen Collection" complete series box set for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which had 7 years of episodes. So it's not entirely out of the question that they might do the same for X-Files.
Old 01-31-06, 03:33 PM
Banned

Fox released the "Chosen Collection" complete series box set for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which had 7 years of episodes. So it's not entirely out of the question that they might do the same for X-Files.
The "Buffy" seasons have ALWAYS sold for about half of what the "X-Files" seasons have, and there are more "X-Files" seasons. Even if you bundled up all 9 seasons at the price that these new sets are selling for, you'd still be paying at least $270. Have you EVER seen a box set from a major studio at that price? I didn't think so. It just seems like the major studios are reluctant to release an item with a price that high here in the US. The same thing happened with "Star Trek: The Next Generation". Paramount released a huge box set overseas but a US release hasn't even been hinted at.
Old 01-31-06, 03:34 PM

Does anyone have pictures of the new set?
Old 01-31-06, 04:07 PM

Just took some pics for ya..

Old 01-31-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wish all shows were packaged like this. My stargate SG-1 seasons have taken a whole shelf

Last edited by Dazed; 01-31-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The slim cases look great, but the loss of the bonus disc is big, particularly Chris Carter's look at certain episodes (which was from the intros to the old VHS releases of those particular episodes) and was a superb extra (too bad he or the writers didn't do more of these for the DVD sets).

Although it wasn't actually, "The Truth Behind" documentary for each season almost seemed like was a single long documentary that was split up into parts, so maybe it'll be edited together as a single documentary and put in one of the later season sets (such as Season 5, which only had 20 episodes on 5 discs, so the 6th disc was/will be entirely bonus material. And I think Season 9 also was only 19 or 20 episodes - so as the final season, maybe it'll get a loaded bonus 6th disc with all of this stuff on it).

Last edited by dhmac; 01-31-06 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 05:51 PM
Banned

The slim cases looks awesome but I already have the fold out sets of all seasons and losing the bonus discs really sucks for who doesn't have the fold out sets
Old 01-31-06, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the pics!

Holy **** those are thin. I didn't expect the 2 discs per case style. I guess it's better for my shelf.
Old 01-31-06, 07:47 PM

Considering I will eventually own all 9 sets, I am VERY pleased that they went with dual slimline cases. First time I've ever seen them..
Old 02-01-06, 12:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Considering X-Files was one of, if not the first 'big' TV Show on DVD releases, this is welcome news. Ive yet to pick up a season due to the $100+ a season, but at $30 a pop I probably will. Who cares about an extra disc I will never watch.
Old 02-01-06, 01:06 AM
Banned

Who cares about an extra disc I will never watch.
Uh, the people that WOULD watch them, for starters.
Old 02-01-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
It has been rumored to come out here after all of the seasons are complete.

Fox did release the Buffy set which the lowest it is going for is $200 (that I know of). They are also rumored to do an Angel set this year.

The Sex In The City set came out to a big price tag, and Warner released the Friends set with a price tag over $200. It is possible.

Since the current sets would be about $270, I could see Fox releasing a box in the $220 - $250 price range.

Then again you could be right, they might not do anything.
Old 02-01-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
No need for ranting.

They didn't need to drop special features. Not like another disc costs them more than a few cents.

The big box sets will drop to the same price as the thin packs. Not like stores keep the original releases at full price. It'll just turn into a scrounge-fest of ebay and instore to find them at the new price.

Of course, I would have preferred thinpaks to save space instead of the annoying big foldout box, but hey, guess not.
The ONLY reason those larger sets will sell at the same price, is because they would NOT be able to move them off of the shelves otherwise. From here on out you bet your bottom dollar you won't be able to find them in stores ever again once they sell them all.

I know it costs them very little to make a seventh disc but it also adds a bit more to the production process to fit one additional disc in a slim package that calls for two discs per case. But, again, 75% off for something that has all the episodes, and only missing the features disc... is still a steal. Even at 50% off, it's a steal.

But also, perhaps it's just a marketing ploy for now. If there is INDEED a box set coming after all nine seasons get re-released... they can have the box set out with not just the episodes we're getting now, but then they can include all these additional bonus discs (one for every season) and claim it's a super box set and kinda rope people who paid for these cheaper seasons to buying the box set too. Knowing FOX, I'm sure there's a marketing reason like that behind this as well.

But either way, it's still a steal...
Old 02-01-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like how every on-line store I checked for season 2 had it listed as a 7-disc set with the same special features. Exceptions: Bestbuy.com, and DVD Empire. Amazon is also an exception, I guess, only because their list of DVD Contents is as sub-par as usual.

Anasazi on season 2 looks like it has been moved from disc 7 to disc 6. I wonder if they had to do any additional compression on that disc? I have the original releases, so I don't ever plan on purchasing these. Plus, I'm a completist and couldn't bring myself to buy these since they don't have the special features.
Old 02-01-06, 10:07 AM
Suspended

I have wanted to buy these ever since they came out. I have only seen about a seasons worth of episodes and enjoyed them but couldn't justify the $100 price tag per season. Since Best Buy is offering this promotional deal of buy seasons 1 thru 3 and get $30 instant rebate I think I'll pop for it. I'm looking forward to working my way thru the series.

Kevin
Old 02-01-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
And here I was thinking the new sets might be *adding* the commentaries they did for the Mythology series.
Old 02-01-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice, I can afford these finally. And I haven't seen most of them since they originally aired, so I feel now is the time.

Anybody know what season the "house" episode is in? Not that I really ever need to see it again, it's burned onto my memory forever.
Old 02-01-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
Anybody know what season the "house" episode is in? Not that I really ever need to see it again, it's burned onto my memory forever.
Do you mean the episode called "Home" w/ the inbreds? That's Season 4...

~Jason

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.