DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X-Files new releases

Old 01-02-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X-Files new releases

Am I correct that the current $99.99 msrp box sets will be out of print once the new cheaper retail priced box sets come out later this month.
Old 01-02-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, although stores may continue to sell off inventory until supplies are gone.
Old 01-02-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might be able to get the original releases for the new price as well.
Old 01-02-06, 10:02 PM

Are the new sets identical to the old ones?
Old 01-02-06, 10:11 PM
Banned

Are the new sets identical to the old ones?
I heard that the new set are flipper discs and that they are coming in smaller packaging.
Old 01-02-06, 10:20 PM

flippers? Thought they were going to use the same old discs and use dual thinpaks...
Old 01-02-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
I heard that the new set are flipper discs and that they are coming in smaller packaging.
Uh-oh, flippers are not good. Might want to see if you can get the old sets discounted once the new ones come in.
Old 01-02-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did you hear they were flippers?
Old 01-03-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before evrybody gets their panties in a bunch about flippers, DeepDiscountDVD lists the new releases as each containing 7 discs, just like the orginals (except that the 7 discs are packaged in Thinpaks instead of a Digi-Pack).
Old 01-03-06, 01:07 AM
Suspended

Rumors and speculation in an X-Files thread.
Old 01-03-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have already started making custome covers using 'thinpak double cases' for my collection.
Old 01-03-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 2 disc thin packs are the best in my opinion.
Old 01-03-06, 01:04 PM

I can only tell you what's happened in r2.

Here the original releases were, like r1, "collectors edition" - but here, they were numbered as well. So I guess they were limited, but in large numbers.

The re-releases are identical, the discs are exactly the same; they are just packed differently.

Here in the UK that meant that they came in multi-disc "amaray" style cases (with M-Lock mechanisms), the downside being that the larger sets had one disc stuffed into a nasty little card sleeve. Maybe Fox couldn't find big enough Amarays?!

The "collectors editions" became very cheap, as a lot of stores saw how stupid it was having one set price at around $100 more just because it was in different packaging.

I have all nine in the original form, as I already had seven of them when they announced the repackaging.

Similar things have happened to Buffy and Angel sets here...
Old 01-29-06, 04:51 PM

I noticed the old sets are 7 DVDs and the new sets are 6 (according to the BestBuy ads but maybe they are wrong). So I doubt the flippers rumor is true but it does seem like something is missing or has been redone. Anyone heard anything more about this?

Last edited by nemein; 01-29-06 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well at $24.xx each for S1-S3 at Bestbuy I am very interested!!! Might be time to start that collection!
Old 01-29-06, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
I noticed the old sets are 7 DVDs and the new sets are 6 (according to the BestBuy ads but maybe they are wrong). So I doubt the flippers rumor is true but it does seem like something is missing or has been redone. Anyone heard anything more about this?

I was wondering the same thing, but it looks like Best Buy has updated the site with the new sets containing 7 discs as well.
Old 01-29-06, 08:03 PM

I read on another forum that the bonus disc from the original sets will be missing in the new release but I haven't been able to find official word one way or the other.
Old 01-29-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im rethinking about getting these as although I loved the show I dont think id watch them that often. I will probably wait for the HD version to come out.
Old 01-29-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by T.Bickle
I read on another forum that the bonus disc from the original sets will be missing in the new release but I haven't been able to find official word one way or the other.
I just started watching my X-Files sets about a month ago. Of course I bought them 3 years ago for $70 a piece and could bought them dirt cheap now... I'm waaay too impatient.

Anyways, if they did drop the bonus features, I wonder what they would do for Season 2, since Anasazi is on the 7th disc. They would have to cram it only disc 6, which would mean they would have to re-encode it (unless it was a single layer disc and they just made disc 6 a dual layer disc).

Nevertheless, it would be pretty lame if they did ditch the bonus disc. The extras aren't out of this world, but interesting enough.

One more question/observation. Would they include the commentaries that are on the Mythology series on these new releases?
Old 01-29-06, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dazed
Im rethinking about getting these as although I loved the show I dont think id watch them that often. I will probably wait for the HD version to come out.

Considering when they were made I don't think putting them on HD is really going to improve anything. It's up to you if you want to wait but I don't think I'd use an eventual HD release as the reason...
Old 01-29-06, 09:21 PM

I'm still shocked there are no pics of the new packaging. At these prices, I might finally pick up Seasons 4-9, but I'm defintiely concerned with uniformity.
Old 01-29-06, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
I just started watching my X-Files sets about a month ago. Of course I bought them 3 years ago for $70 a piece and could bought them dirt cheap now... I'm waaay too impatient.

Anyways, if they did drop the bonus features, I wonder what they would do for Season 2, since Anasazi is on the 7th disc. They would have to cram it only disc 6, which would mean they would have to re-encode it (unless it was a single layer disc and they just made disc 6 a dual layer disc).

Nevertheless, it would be pretty lame if they did ditch the bonus disc. The extras aren't out of this world, but interesting enough.

One more question/observation. Would they include the commentaries that are on the Mythology series on these new releases?
All I know is that someone supposedly got an early copy of season 1 and it was sans bonus disc. I hope it isn't true because I would like to pick up the rereleases but I would like to have the bonus discs too.
Old 01-29-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trust no one!!! It could be flippers!!!
Old 01-29-06, 10:17 PM

Deep Discount DVD lists Season 1 as containing the following specs:

DVD Features:
Region 1
7-Disc Thinpak Boxed Set
Full Frame - 1.33
Single Side - Dual Layer
Audio:
Dolby Surround - English
Dolby Surround - French
Additional Release Material:
Documentary - 1. THE TRUTH ABOUT SEASON
ONE
Production Interview - 1. Chris Carter
- Creator
Trailers - 1. TV Spots - "Behind the
Truth"
Behind the Scenes Footage
Deleted Scenes
Interactive Features:
Pop-Ups - 1. Clicking on "X" logo
allows access to deleted scenes
Scene Access
Interactive Menus
DVD-ROM Features:
Interactive Game - 1. ROOTS OF
CONSPIRACY
Additional Products:
Booklet

I can't imagine this would be any different than the Best Buy sets.
Old 01-29-06, 10:22 PM

Also, Best Buy's website now lists only 7-disc thinpack sets.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.