X-Files new releases

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X-Files new releases

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, these come out Tuesday and no one has verification of anything? Not one person was able to pick this up early?
I guess everyone interested just already has the previous sets.
Old 01-29-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm not going to complain too much being that I pre-ordered Season 1 for only $14.99. I'll see how that one is before I buy any more.
Old 01-30-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
Considering when they were made I don't think putting them on HD is really going to improve anything. It's up to you if you want to wait but I don't think I'd use an eventual HD release as the reason...
Actually, I think a show like X-Files could be a stunner on HD. The deep blacks that most of the shows had which turned to mush in Standard NTSC . The show was a landmark in terms of cinematography and was shot on 35mm so the resolution would be there.

Depends if they want to put the effort into it or not.
Old 01-30-06, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weren't some of the later seasons in HD?

Anyhoo, $25 X-Files sets? I'm so there!!!!!
Old 01-30-06, 07:16 PM
Banned

TVshowsondvd.com is reporting that the new X-files DVDs come in a 6 disc set. The content of the 7th disc of the previous release is included in the 6 discs of the new release. More info here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5019

As long as they contain everthing from the previous releases, there is no problem with me.
Old 01-30-06, 08:40 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Now the question with me is as follows:

Do I buy Seasons 4, 8 & 9 new style or old style (like the rest of my collection)?

I guess chances are that the prices on the old style will drop now that they are releasing newer versions.

I knew I should have just picked them up when Best Buy had them for $50.
Old 01-30-06, 09:00 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I started buying these sets, about three years ago, and just finished my collection (of the old sets, of course), last year. Once I started working full-time, I bought the five or six sets that I needed, at around $113.99 CDN each. Due to the fact that I was watching Season 3 (and already owned it/had it open), I didn't open any of the new sets, and ended up taking them back and buying them all from Future Shop when they were on sale. I believe each one was around $70. I saved about $250.

I've been a fan of the X-Files since the First Season, and I'm currently trying to re-watch the entire series on DVD. If you're new to the show, Season 1 should hook you - Seasons 1 and 2 were both amazing, with Season 2 probably being my favourite season.
Old 01-30-06, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam
Weren't some of the later seasons in HD?

Anyhoo, $25 X-Files sets? I'm so there!!!!!
5-9 were shot for HD with 1.78:1 ratios. 1-4 are 1.33:1. Fox has stated that when they start releasing stuff on HD discs The X-Files will be part of it. I'm curious as to how they're going to work this. Will 1-4 be formatted to 1.78:1? Should be interesting. If or when they do come out in an HD format I may buy the sets again.
Old 01-30-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I started buying these sets, about three years ago, and just finished my collection (of the old sets, of course), last year. Once I started working full-time, I bought the five or six sets that I needed, at around $113.99 CDN each. Due to the fact that I was watching Season 3 (and already owned it/had it open), I didn't open any of the new sets, and ended up taking them back and buying them all from Future Shop when they were on sale. I believe each one was around $70. I saved about $250.

I've been a fan of the X-Files since the First Season, and I'm currently trying to re-watch the entire series on DVD. If you're new to the show, Season 1 should hook you - Seasons 1 and 2 were both amazing, with Season 2 probably being my favourite season.
I just started watching the DVD's and I didn't remember how good seasons 1 and 2 were. They pretty much were right on from the get go. I was listening to the commentary on End Game and the Writer, Frank Spotnitz, started off the commentary by saying that it was his first writing of ANY KIND for anything in hollywood, TV show or Movie. I was amazed, that was a great episode. Cris Carter definitely had a vision for X-Files. It seems like he had the same kind of involvement in the series that J. Michael Straczynski had in Babylon 5, although to a lesser extent. I don't think anyone could be much more involved than JMS.
Old 01-30-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sanitarium
5-9 were shot for HD with 1.78:1 ratios. 1-4 are 1.33:1. Fox has stated that when they start releasing stuff on HD discs The X-Files will be part of it. I'm curious as to how they're going to work this. Will 1-4 be formatted to 1.78:1? Should be interesting. If or when they do come out in an HD format I may buy the sets again.
They might re-master the prints to HD, but making a 1.33:1 TV show to 1.78:1 would be equally as sickening as not releasing a movie in it's OAR. Just because they release it in HD, doesn't mean it won't be OAR.
Old 01-30-06, 11:19 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah, this show was great right from the start. I agree 100%.

Whenever I'd think about this show, some specific episodes would always pop into my head. It ended up that almost all of them were from Season 2, which was surprising. I didn't realize it was such a great season until I re-watched it. Of course, I was only about 9 years-old when it first aired.
Old 01-30-06, 11:43 PM
Banned

TVshowsondvd.com is reporting that the new X-files DVDs come in a 6 disc set. The content of the 7th disc of the previous release is included in the 6 discs of the new release. More info here:
No they don't, this was a misunderstanding and they corrected it when I pointed it out on HTF. The extras from Disc 7 are NOT on the new releases, the only extras that are still available are the ones that were on the episode discs in the first place, like commentaries, deleted scenes and international clips. The documentares are GONE.
Old 01-31-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So are all 9 seasons going to be available in these cheaper sets right away, or is it just the first few coming out this week?
Old 01-31-06, 12:52 AM
Banned

It's three at a time. 4-6 are coming March 28th. That's 8 weeks, so May 23rd would be the best guess as to when the cheaper, stripped-down 7-9 sets would come out but that's a pure guess based on the time between the first wave and the second wave.
Old 01-31-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Booooooo

I guess I try to scrape around for deals on the old big boxsets.
Old 01-31-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
No they don't, this was a misunderstanding and they corrected it when I pointed it out on HTF. The extras from Disc 7 are NOT on the new releases, the only extras that are still available are the ones that were on the episode discs in the first place, like commentaries, deleted scenes and international clips. The documentares are GONE.
Damn. And of course this means the original 7-disc sets will go OOP and disappear from store shelves over the next year. I have neither the money nor the storage space to buy them at this time. What the hell is the point of this re-release, anyway?

--THX
Old 01-31-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
What the hell is the point of this re-release, anyway?
--THX
They are doing it to screw you over. They have been watching you for some time
Old 01-31-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*sigh*

As bait-and-switches go, this is a real bummer especially considering "7-discers" like 24 and Lost have similar and/or better extra material at comparable prices.
Old 01-31-06, 07:18 AM

As bait-and-switches go
How is this a bait and switch? Did anyone along the line promise the new sets would be the same content as the old?
Old 01-31-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No bonus features on these new sets? All I care about really is the cheaper price and better packaging. Awesome. I will definitely be picking up most of these as they come out.

I do feel sorry for you "behind the scenes featurette" junkies though.
Old 01-31-06, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=dadaluholla]No bonus features on these new sets? All I care about really is the cheaper price and better packaging. Awesome. I will definitely be picking up most of these as they come out.

QUOTE]

Old 01-31-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from Best Buy. These things are packaged just like season 1 of Tru Calling. 3 slim double-disk cases in a cardboard slipcover.

One thing I noticed was that the regular price on seasons 1-3 of the old 7-disc versions they had were lowered to the same as the new sets ($41.99).
Old 01-31-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Fuck'em then.

I'll pass.

Actually, I've watched a few of the first/second season episodes I taped on VHS back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and I didn't think the series held up very well. The deletion of the supplements is just the straw that broke this camel's back.

Way to go, Fox! Saved me $75+tax and a trip to Best Buy.
Old 01-31-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You know what, if you want them that bad, go to Amazon and pay 800 dollars plus tax for the entire original collection. Stop complaining people. The price drops from 100 to 35 and you want to complain about the loss of the extra features on one disc when the price is MORE than fifty percent off its original value? And they're 25 dollars a piece if you buy them at Best Buy at the same time! That's 75% off. So uh, you can spend the 100 bucks if you want, or, you could buy the cheaper sets that's 'cheaper' in value than the original set as well. Seems more than fair to me!
Old 01-31-06, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Seems more than fair to me!

Usually I am a "features junkie" but frankly the sets dropping to this low price is more than enough justification for me to finally pick them. After all, between the two, I'm more likely to rewatch eps. than features. If I really want to see them at some point I'll Netflix them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.