DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Please help me for an MBA study

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Done and done.
Old 12-08-05, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again, I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate all of your answers. Based on the feedback I have received from the survey, I have decided to ask a few questions that will help give me a qualitiative look at the attitutdes and behavior behind DVD purchases. If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer as many of these questions as you possibly can while being honest. Thanks again!

1. Do you consider yourself to be a compulsive DVD shopper or have the ability to make many impulsive purchasing decisions?

2. What are the major reasons behind each purchase you make? How do you feel after you purchase a DVD?

3. Do you purchase DVDs and keep them in the shrinkwrap for collectible reasons or just because you didn't get to watch it yet? If yes to either one, what types of feelings or emotions do you get when you make purchases of such DVDs?

4. Do you consider yourself a completist for your collection? If so, what kinds of steps do you take to make this collection complete?

5. Are you very particular about your collecting habits? Will you go out of your way to not purchase from a particular store or not purchase a movie from a particular studio?

6. Do you price shop or price match?

7. Do you rent at all? Do you have any renting/buying ratio that you could estimate?

8. Is word of mouth important when you make purchasing decisions or do you go by your own instincts?

Once again THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I hope that these questions are much better in the context of finding out the thought process behind a purchase. If you have any additional feedback/comments, I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Survey complete!
Old 12-08-05, 01:10 PM

1. I consider myself an exceptionally compulsive DVD buyer
2. New release. Not already in my collection. Reccomendations.
I feel very accomplished after I purchase a new DVD. I never have any regrets about buying my DVDs (unless it is a blind buy, I watch the movie, and then want to return it.)
3. I open my DVDs immediately when I get home from purchasing them. I have recently been thinking about not opening them right away so that I can remember which ones I still need to watch.
4. I would definitely consider myself a "completist" for my collection. If there is a series of movies, let's say Lethal Weapon, and I have the first three and I don't even like the fourth one, I will buy the fourth movie in the series just to have it be complete.
5. I would never go as far as not purchasing a movie because of the studio it is from. As for where I purchase DVDs, 95% of the time I purchase them at Best Buy because it is where I work. Best Buy was also where I purchased DVDs before I worked there.
6. I ALWAYS price match and price shop. Even working at Best Buy, I still price match with Circuit City a lot because lately some of their new releases have been a few dollars cheaper. I also browse the internet for different prices as well.
7. I have not rented a single movie since I worked at Blockbuster back in May '05. It has been about 8 months or so. The only reason I rented there was because of the free rentals for employees. Otherwise, I do not believe in renting. If you pay $15 for a new release movie when it comes out to buy it, why would you spend $5 just to rent it one time and not have it to keep. Doesn't make sense to me.
8. Word of mouth is both important and not important. I will most definitely take reccomendations when buying movies but if I have my eyes set on buying a certain DVD, I will buy it regardless of what a friend or co-worker says.
Old 12-08-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvdman47
1. Do you consider yourself to be a compulsive DVD shopper or have the ability to make many impulsive purchasing decisions?
Yes.

2. What are the major reasons behind each purchase you make? How do you feel after you purchase a DVD?
I want to see them and I buy on release date in order to get the best price. Afterwards (lately), I feel like "What have I done?". I buy too much and don't have time to watch everything.

3. Do you purchase DVDs and keep them in the shrinkwrap for collectible reasons or just because you didn't get to watch it yet? If yes to either one, what types of feelings or emotions do you get when you make purchases of such DVDs?
I do because I didn't get to watch it yet. My feelings is "I got it for a good price. If I had waited, I would've had to pay anywhere from $5-$10 more (up to $30 extra for a box set) if I had waited.

4. Do you consider yourself a completist for your collection? If so, what kinds of steps do you take to make this collection complete?
Not really.

5. Are you very particular about your collecting habits? Will you go out of your way to not purchase from a particular store or not purchase a movie from a particular studio?
Not really. I'll avoid a store if their prices are consistently out of control (Tower Records), but I'll go to them if they got a better price than anyone else. On Tuesdays, I've been known to shop at 3 different places to get the best deals.

Yes.

7. Do you rent at all? Do you have any renting/buying ratio that you could estimate?
Never. I can buy a DVD on release date for $17. If I don't like it, I can sell it on ebay for $10. That means it cost $7 (or in most cases, less) to have the DVD so I could watch it any time at my leisure for the same price as a rental.

8. Is word of mouth important when you make purchasing decisions or do you go by your own instincts?
Word of mouth is important, but I have to trust the person(s). If I know 10 people on the 'net telling me that Undead is an interesting movie (or even if they hate it and I think I may like it), I'll pick it up. I also go by my own instincts.
Old 12-08-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm quite cheap and very rarely make impulse purchases unless the items in question are ~$5. I make approximately 6 such purchases a year.

I buy DVDs when I know that I will watch and re-watch the main features over the course of the media's life. I'm generally pretty ambivalent when I buy a DVD, unless it is something that I have not seen in a number of years and can to some extent experience it for the first time again. In the latter condition, I do get a little excited, but only marginally above baseline.

I open all of my DVDs immediately to determine if they are damaged. I try to watch them quickly as well. I do not consider them to be collectibles.

I do not consider myself a completist. If a movie in a series is sub-par, I will not buy it because it will not have much re-watchability for me (unless it is in a boxed set, as was the case with the new Batman Anthology).

No.

Yes. Always.

No. I never rent anything.

I look at reviews, if that's what you mean. I sometimes avoid things that have too much of a "buzz" (e.g., I didn't see The Matrix for years b/c I didn't believe the hype).
Old 12-08-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dvdman47...

Can you use Access to process this data? If you'd like I could lend you a hand in correlating the data.
Old 12-08-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Do you consider yourself to be a compulsive DVD shopper or have the ability to make many impulsive purchasing decisions? Yes.

2. What are the major reasons behind each purchase you make? Interest in the title. How do you feel after you purchase a DVD? Ready to buy the next one!

3. Do you purchase DVDs and keep them in the shrinkwrap for collectible reasons or just because you didn't get to watch it yet? No to either. If yes to either one, what types of feelings or emotions do you get when you make purchases of such DVDs?

4. Do you consider yourself a completist for your collection? No - if you look at my Star Trek and Star Wars DVDs, you'll see that I'm missing Star Trek V and Star Wars Ep. 1. I think they are terrible movies and will not buy them just to complete a series. If so, what kinds of steps do you take to make this collection complete?

5. Are you very particular about your collecting habits? No. Will you go out of your way to not purchase from a particular store or not purchase a movie from a particular studio? No. But on the other hand, I usually always buy from Best Buy unless I can't find a title there, and I am constantly buying Criterion titles, some merely by the fact that Criterion released them!

6. Do you price shop or price match? Sometimes, usually for box sets.

7. Do you rent at all? No. Do you have any renting/buying ratio that you could estimate? 0/100.

8. Is word of mouth important when you make purchasing decisions or do you go by your own instincts? My instincts - I believe I've accumulated enough flicks that I'm really familiar with what I like and do not like.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 12-08-05 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Done.

Good luck.

Cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 12-08-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To an extent, I am compulsive. However, I don't buy on a whim. I take time to evaluate DVDs that I haven't seen and to get the best prices.

Major reasons: to own the movie, to add to my modest (450) collection that I've been building since 1999. I probably get more satisfaction from purchasing a DVD than actually owning or watching the DVD.

I keep DVDs in the shrinkwrap until I'm ready to watch them. It's worked out well for some titles because I've been able to return them as new for updated releases years later--despite the ethical implications.

I am not a completist. I own the first two Batman films, but have no interest in the other two.

I will avoid high-priced stores, but the studio doesn't impact my buying decision.

The majority of my purchases are from Columbia House. There is no instant gratification from buying a movie on release day, but for an average price of less than $7, I find it much better to wait until a title is available as an enrollment selection. If a title is not available from Columbia House, I try to get the lowest price possible, usually using coupons or gift certificates.

I will occassionally rent a title if it's expensive. The ratio is probably 2:100, renting: buying. (I recently rented a Canadian TV show season for $8.05 instead of paying $50 for it sight unseen.)

I read a lot of reviews before buying something sight unseen. If I want to own a movie, reviews are irrelevent, however.

Another point to consider: illegal downloading. Although discussion of downloading movies is frowned upon here, I'd be curious to know if people who download movies also purchase DVDs. I, for one, download movies that aren't available in the US to determine if I want to own the DVD. I can sample fare from other regions that aren't available (even from Niche Flix). If I like the films, I purchase the DVDs. However, I never keep downloaded movies; they are burned to DVD-RW and then erased after watching.
Old 12-08-05, 05:45 PM

Yes, but I'm also a compulsive book buyer, CD buyer, videogame buyer, etc.

Because I like the movie or it was recommended to me enough to convince me! After I buy it, I feel like "okay, gotta find time to watch this one, too...on the pile it goes!"

I don't buy DVDs as "collectibles" or investments...I buy them to watch them.

Somewhat completist, but not unreasonably so. Not so much that I had to have Beverly Hills Cop 3, for instance.

I only buy OAR and stick to the director's original vision as much as possible; that's my most particular habit. I visit stores that have the best price and don't piss me off as a consumer.

Price Shop...store make price-matching to be too much of a hassle in my area (if it was not a hassle I would price match, I suppose, because one-stop shopping is better). Define "hassle"? "we have to call the other store and verify that it is still in stock there"

Never

A balance of both, plus seeing if anyone else in the family is interested in the title.
Old 12-08-05, 07:22 PM

I'm sorry to keep doing this, but my professor has just inspired me for a few new questions, so I'll just make one mass list with the original questions as well. To help quote you guys better, I'd appreciate it if you could PLEASE include your initials, sex, and age with your response. THANKS AGAIN!

9. Approximately how much do you spend on DVDs a week/month/year?

10. How do you store/display your DVDs? If possible, could you include a picture of your collection?

11. Do you make an event out of going out to purchase or watch your DVDs?

12. (this might be a weird question for some people) Do you love your DVDs, take care of them, take them out to look at or clean them?

Thank you so much!!!!
Old 12-08-05, 07:25 PM

RockyMtnBri, I've actually never used Access. What exactly what it be able to do fo me? Can you cross tabulate data or anything like that?

Thanks for your assistance/advice!!
Old 12-08-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd guess about $30 a month. You can do the math.

10. How do you store/display your DVDs? If possible, could you include a picture of your collection?

I built a small shelf to house my ~210 DVDs. I don't show them off.

No. Most of the time I watch/listen to things playing in the background while I work.

12. (this might be a weird question for some people) Do you love your DVDs, take care of them, take them out to look at or clean them?

I chose a different DVD to cuddle with at night. (Read: No, but I do dust them every month or two.)

Initials=JCH, Sex=M, Age=23
Old 12-08-05, 07:36 PM

Sorry, I think the last set of questions is getting a bit carried away now! Instead of doing this here, may I suggest that you make a "survey, part two" with these additional questions? Some of the more personal questions (like money-related and "loving") might get more responses in a non-public forum. And for the pics, you could just do a search for threads along the lines of "post pictures of your DVD collection"; I'm sure I've seen threads like that on here before. Good luck.
Old 12-08-05, 07:42 PM

Done on the first part.

Second part.

1. Yes, sometimes just have to get it is the only reason i buy stuff, especially when it's a good price.

2. Usually if it's a decently recommended title that's on sale that week beyond the normal 15 ~ 20% discount at stores. Usually feel pretty good about it, no regrets usually unless it was a really bad movie.

3. Kept in the shrinkwrap cause I haven't gotten to watch it yet. Usually get the feeling I shouldn't have bought it yet, but it was so cheap...

4. No, only buy movies that i will like, cept those series that comes together like BTTF or Indiana Jones.

5. Not too particular except maybe Universal. Usually check DVd-specific boards to see if early reviews ran across any problems.

6. Yep, lowest price is the spice of life.

7. Yep, still rent. Ratio probably 3:1 :: rent : buy

8. Word of mouth fairly important especially if it's on an unseen movie. Although art-house movies are no longer trusted by word of mouth, too many "good" reviews for pretty bad movies.

9. 20 ~ 30 a month.

10. on a rack, no camera available. All the money went into DVDs. =)

11. Sometimes an event if watching a DVD, usually other region movies, arrange a movie night.

12. Yes, got to check if the DVD-rot's gotten to them every once in awhile.

JT, Male, 25
Old 12-08-05, 07:48 PM

1. Yes. Definitely compulsive.
2. I rarely blind buy so I'm rarely disappointed. Don't really get emotional over inanimate objects no matter how good a deal I got.
3. Only if I haven't watched it yet.
4. No. I don't want everything from a series (i.e. Batman, certain director) if they're total crap.
5. Yes. Yes I avoid certain stores or online stores if the service is horrible no matter how good a deal is.
6. Bigtime.
7. No
8. Instinct.
9. Monthly: anywhere from $25 to $250; yearly total so far $1700ish.
10. In my grandmother's refurbished china cabinet, a cabinet I made from an old window and board lumber, a dollar store wicker fold-out shelf
11. No. I generally shop on the internet.
12. No. Only to watch and dust (the doors on the two cabinets help with that.)

LED, 35, Female

Last edited by grem458; 12-08-05 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-08-05, 08:28 PM

David, you are right and I apologize if I seemed to be too probing. If you would rather answer with confidentiality (and to make it more organized), I have set up another survey, here is the link:

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224UMF635N3

I appreciate everybody who has answered as I have received VERY valuable data to use in my paper.

Thanks again and thank you in advance for taking the second part!!!
Old 12-08-05, 08:47 PM

Took both surveys, glad to help and best of luck man
Old 12-08-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

doing it now.
Old 12-09-05, 01:28 AM

First part done, and on to the second......................

To a degree. I'm a film fan first but a collector as well, the latter does have a tendency to make me want to spend, spend, spend though. However I never use shopping as a means to combat depression/distress/etc... nor do I spend above my means and given that I don‘t consider myself compulsive, at least not in a negative sense.

As boring an answer as it may be the film itself is what drives me. I know what I like, what I want, and what I feel I “need“ for my collection. Thus when something fits that description and they put it on store shelves then I'm going to buy it.

3. Do you purchase DVDs and keep them in the shrink-wrap for collectible reasons or just because you didn't get to watch it yet? If yes to either one, what types of feelings or emotions do you get when you make purchases of such DVDs?

I am a big collector but I don't buy DVDs as a "collectable investment," I may have way too many sealed DVDs for my own good but it's because I haven't had the time to view them, not because I don't want to remove the shrink wrap for collections sake.

Absolutely. I'm a Criterion and Disney animation nut. As far as completion goes, outside of the Criterion discs of which an entire collection is a reasonable goal (well compared to some broader collections ), I consider completion when I have every title within a certain "set" that I want. For instance I don't need to purchase Cinderella 2 and 3 in order to make my Disney animation collection feel complete.

I have not brand or store loyalty. If it's a film I like and a store that treats their customers right then nothing else is a factor.

From time to time.

Never.

Sometimes, but for the most part I know myself well enough, even when it comes to blind buys, that I don't need to rely on others. However that's not to say that I haven't been steered toward something I would've never considered purchasing otherwise and have been extremely happy to have had that nudge in the right direction. In other words when I have it in my mind that I want a particular disc then I don‘t need any outside influence one way or the other. On the flipside it‘s always nice to be introduced to new things by friends, family, etc…

I'll just say that it's bad enough I hate to even think about it and I'll leave it at that

Makeshift DVD towers, metal racks, curio setups, the floor, etc...

I rarely go out with the specific intention of purchasing DVDs and nothing else but on that same note I rarely come home without a DVD or two under my arm, providing of course I've been somewhere that sells DVDs.

I guess, I mean as much as you can "love" a material posession. I enjoy them, I take care of them, and I would be extremely upset should anything ever happen to them so I suppose that means I love them as much as you can love a disc in a plastic case.

Last edited by JohnnyDrama2006; 12-09-05 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-09-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Never. I can buy a DVD on release date for $17. If I don't like it, I can sell it on ebay for $10. That means it cost $7 (or in most cases, less) to have the DVD so I could watch it any time at my leisure for the same price as a rental.
Huh?
Old 12-09-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished the first survey, next survey please!!

No because I'm a college student and I'm on a tight budget

I like the movie. Most of the time, I'm proud of my purchase. Sometimes I have buyers remorse because movie wasn't as good as I thought.

No, I open them right away when I arrive home.

No, except for the Lord of the Rings.

5. Are you very particular about your collecting habits? Will you go out of your way to not purchase from a particular store or not purchase a movie from a particular studio? No

6. Do you price shop or price match? Hell yeah!

7. Do you rent at all? Do you have any renting/buying ratio that you could estimate? Yes, 5/1

8. Is word of mouth important when you make purchasing decisions or do you go by your own instincts? I read reviews, if that counts as word of mouth.

9. Approximately how much do you spend on DVDs a week/month/year? $5/$20/$240

10. How do you store/display your DVDs? If possible, could you include a picture of your collection? I use the laserline storage case that holds 30 dvd's, I have abou 6 of those.

11. Do you make an event out of going out to purchase or watch your DVDs? Not really.

12. (this might be a weird question for some people) Do you love your DVDs, take care of them, take them out to look at or clean them? Yeah I love my dvd's, cus I'm a movie nerd. I take care of em, but then I do that with all the things I have.

Last edited by matrixrok9; 12-09-05 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-09-05, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by dvdman47
David, you are right and I apologize if I seemed to be too probing. If you would rather answer with confidentiality (and to make it more organized), I have set up another survey, here is the link:

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224UMF635N3

I appreciate everybody who has answered as I have received VERY valuable data to use in my paper.

Thanks again and thank you in advance for taking the second part!!!

Thanks for appreciating the advice! I took the second part of the survey. For the questions that were the same as what I answered here on the forum, I simply copied and pasted my previous answers...so just ignore my answers in this thread's post #61.

One final suggestion. Go to the first post of this thread, the one you made that started it all. Click the "edit" button (bottom right of your post) and add something like "UPDATE: I've made a Part 2 of this survey, so please take it at the same time you take the first part. Here's the link:" and paste in the link. That way newcomers to the thread will see if right offhand, and not have to read through 3 pages of responses to realize that there's a second part to the survey.

As you can see, folks are still answering the "part 2" questions here in the thread, so they are missing the info about using the link.

Again, good luck!
Old 12-09-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did it, good luck

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.