Batman Begins Deluxe Edition... current release going OOP

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Batman Begins Deluxe Edition... current release going OOP

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other people have bitched about Amazon in this thread. How is this Amazon's fault? If someone orders a second preorder (or not in stock item) and selects to have everything shipped together, that's the person's CHOICE, not Amazon's. Selecting to pay more to have items ship separately costs more, but items ship immediately. Again: how is this Amazon's fault. It's not. It's not a matter of Amazon refusing to ship Batman separately, and they are certainly not screwing anyone.
I should have clarified that I don't necessarily agree that Amazon is at fault here, but rather that this is why I suspect people are pissed. I'll leave the bitchin' to those who truly are pissed at Amazon.

I agree that Amazon went by the book here, and did nothing wrong. I am sure they got caught in this weird situation just like other retailers and consumers. In actuality, their stock lasted longer than other retailers, giving people a second chance to order it before it went bye-bye.
Old 10-26-05, 02:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've been looking for the DE for the past 3 days, finally found two copies at the third, and final, Blockbuster in town. I checked three Wal-Marts, HMV, Music World, CD Plus, Rogers Video, Jumbo Video, Futureshop, and the three Blockbusters... HMV even told me they got 150 copies in, and they sold out after three days.

Had to be $32 (tax includ.) CDN for it... if I had known it was going to be limited I would have went to Futureshop last Tuesday and picked it up for about $10 cheaper. I wish movie companies would release this information earlier or at all in this case, as not one retailer I asked knew until after they were sold out that they wouldn't be getting anymore.
Old 10-26-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Well shit... I should've just pre-ordered with the Lebowski set. Instead I did it with the Beavis&Butthead set and probably will not get the DE
Old 10-26-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I should have clarified that I don't necessarily agree that Amazon is at fault here, but rather that this is why I suspect people are pissed. I'll leave the bitchin' to those who truly are pissed at Amazon.

I agree that Amazon went by the book here, and did nothing wrong. I am sure they got caught in this weird situation just like other retailers and consumers. In actuality, their stock lasted longer than other retailers, giving people a second chance to order it before it went bye-bye.
How did they go by the book. To me, if I preorder something, a copy of that preorder is saved for me, I am gauranteeing myself a copy. I agreed when I bought Batman from Amazon that they did not have to send it until Star Wars was released so they could be shipped together, but that doesn't mean my copy of Batman should have disappeared. I reserved two movies with them, the actual date agreed to ship those movies shouldn't factor in. It is like a B&M store giving away a pre-order copy of something because the person didn't pick it up the first day. The whole idea of pre-ordering is to reserve a copy, not to send it out when it's available.
Old 10-26-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Exactly! If I preordered than I expect them to reserve a copy. That is the way it is supposed to be handled.
Old 10-26-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

"You know how to TAKE the reservation... you just don't know how to HOLD the reservation."
Old 10-26-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[ seinfeld ]You know how to *take* the preorder, you just dont' know how to *keep* the preorder.[ /seinfeld ]

I have to agree here (although I'm a big fan of Amazon). Unless it says somewhere on the site and I missed it, I would assume that they held a title that you preordered, if they were waiting to ship something else. Other retailers (such as DVDEmpire) do this.
Old 10-26-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by msdmoney
How did they go by the book. To me, if I preorder something, a copy of that preorder is saved for me, I am gauranteeing myself a copy. I agreed when I bought Batman from Amazon that they did not have to send it until Star Wars was released so they could be shipped together, but that doesn't mean my copy of Batman should have disappeared. I reserved two movies with them, the actual date agreed to ship those movies shouldn't factor in. It is like a B&M store giving away a pre-order copy of something because the person didn't pick it up the first day. The whole idea of pre-ordering is to reserve a copy, not to send it out when it's available.
This is true. I have the Cannibal Holocaust LE on preorder with DVD Empire, waiting to ship with next week's releases. This was released yesterday and DVDEmpire has already sold out of them. However my copy has been reserved and is ready to ship on Friday with the other 11/1 release items. I would've been pissed if I had preordered something two months ago and then find out they gave it away to someone else.
Old 10-26-05, 03:53 PM

Well, stating the obvious, I guess Amazon doesn't reserve copies for people that order and choose to wait for a later product to ship. If that is their general policy, then people should complain directly to them that it should be changed.

But giving them the benefit of the doubt in this case, this is an unusual situation where a product was pulled early in its run, and it would seem unusual for them to keep a discontinued product in stock for people that asked for it to be shipped with another product a month or two from now. But what do I know...
Old 10-26-05, 04:10 PM

Wow. It's situations like this that make me go into a store and just get it myself every Tuesday. That way I'm not stuck without something I really want. I guess, being in So CA, we're blessed with an abundance of B&M stores.

Good luck to everyone looking. I'm sure they're out there.
Old 10-26-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is one of those rare instances where I'm grateful that Best Buy had exclusive cover art, luring me to the dark side. I may have paid more, but I got my copy.
Old 10-26-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Got my copy at Best Buy as well, and I waited until Friday to get the DE. I think they still had some last I checked.
Old 10-26-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I had gotten the Best Buy one.
Old 10-26-05, 04:52 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Back in stock at amazon now. Same $19.98 price.

Note that their title is now Batman Begins (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition with Comic Book) (2005).

I guess it will hit #1 spot in no time thanks to the ebay opportunitists...
Old 10-26-05, 05:02 PM

If you try to add it to your cart, it says is no longer available.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 10-26-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I ordered mine from Amazon 2 days ago (along with the first Batman) and they shipped today.
Old 10-26-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As stated above, a pre-order should reserve a copy, otherwise what is the purpose of pre-odering. I mistakenly ordered this with the beaver and butthole set and no I'm wondering what I'm gonna get?

B&B set with BB deluxe w/no comic
B&B set with BB deluxe w/comic
B&B set without BB deluxe and then what about free shipping.

What a mess, I guess I should know from car rentals that a pre-order (reservation) doesn't mean anything in this day and age, other than the company can get your money sooner, but not necessarily deliver the promised goods. Just my rant.

ebay didn't take long:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-Begins-De...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-26-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Wow!! I glad I picked mine at Target last week. No problem watching the movie haven't check on disc 2 yet guess I watch that tonight since Lost won't be back with a new episode in two weeks. Screw you ABC !!!
Old 10-26-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Glad I decided to pick mine up yesterday.

BB & Target didn't have any, but Tower Records did (Tried to look for a Cannibal Holocaust there, but no luck )
Old 10-26-05, 06:08 PM

I preordered this at Amazon with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory 2 disc to get the great prices and free shipping, but when I saw how Batman Deluxe was packaged at Best Buy (cardboard slipcover), I shelled out the extra money and bought a copy there and cancelled my Amazon order because I was afraid of recieving a banged up slip cover and or comic book... yes I'm anal, so what. I'm glad I did this because I now have a copy of a supposedly rare, pristine set that plays fine (except for that damn comic menu). By the way, if any of you Marylanders are intrested, I saw some copies at the Best Buy off Security Blvd. today.
Old 10-26-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whew, glad I made that last minute decision to duck out and hit Target for all the Batman movies.

Now, how long do you think it will take for these Batman Begins DEs to hit $35 and over on Ebay? Such a shame that the Batman releases were marred by such a troublesome release.

Wow, it's not far off now on Ebay. Saw some "Batman Begins OOP" for $32 and $33 w/ shipping. Yikes.
Old 10-26-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I made a DAMN GOOD choice buying this on release day with the special cover- without ever seeing the film.
Old 10-26-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Amazon, mine shipped today with SW, Ep. III.
Very. Odd.
Old 10-26-05, 07:24 PM

I work at a huge retail specialty shop, and when we originally placed orders for the Deluxe Edition they were scaled back by Warner, due to an expected low press run. The title was then instantly flagged as 'un-orderable.'
According to what I have heard from Warner, what we got is all we will see until after Christmas (and that is not a guarantee that this title will go back in production.)
It is currently not being pressed by Warner, and copies are becoming more and more scarce.
It seems like a peculiar move on Warner's behalf considering how huge a title this is.

Edit:
There was never a recall on this title.

Last edited by raining_helper; 10-26-05 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r

I figured that you weren't pissed at Amazon. That's why I said "other people," so as not to imply you were. I should've clarified.

Preordering a title reserves it, but I would imagine that it doesn't apply at all if the title is recalled by the manufacturer--if it truly was recalled. If it was limited, however, they may have simply not have had enough available to meet the demand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.