DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Batman Begins Deluxe Edition... current release going OOP

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Batman Begins Deluxe Edition... current release going OOP

Originally Posted by Cameron
ok...I know most of you have already picked this up....and I also know that several copies are in store now. I do not mean to cause a panic. I think most of you know me well enough to know that i am not a troller.

i got an e-mail today at work. It basically stated, that do to manufacturing problems The 2-disc set was not being shipped for replenishment. They warned us that many stores will not get replacements until December.

They gave little info on what that meant. Luckily I have heard little to no problems on the disc playing. My disc two took a bit long to load, but no big deal. SO... If you were on the fence, and can't wait. Get it now. Also, if anyone has watched everything all the way through, please post.

No worries, no big deal. just info.
Originally Posted by Toben
I'm not sure what is up with BB DE and the shortages seen in B&Ms in Canada and the US. Over at HTF, there is a lot of discussion about the 2-disc set being currently out-of-production, some rumors of there being some fault in the manufacturing of the 2nd run of the set, and a BB DE now listed on deepdiscountdvd that has a different UPC (rumored to be without the comic book). Futureshop.ca and Bestbuy.ca still have no BB DE listed online (since release day) nor is it available in-store. But HMV still had some of them last I checked. So could it be that the scarcity of this set is not just due to stores ordering less of the DE? Anyone in the know care to shed some insight?
This information was posted over at HTF, but I thought I'd post it here also. DVD Empire currently has the following text on their details page for Batman Begins DE:

NOTICE: This DVD has been cancelled by Warner Bros. and is not available at this time. The only Batman Begins DVD currently available for purchase is the single-disc edition.

It also looks like bestbuy.com has joined the ranks of bestbuy.ca and futureshop.ca in removing BB DE from their web site. Who knows, maybe Amazon is not far behind in doing the same.
Originally Posted by GuessWho
My BB-DE isn't scheduled to ship from Amazon until this weekend or next week (to be bundled with Office Space), but now I'm worried. I may buy this today at Costco and leave it shrinkwrapped... as a backup.
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
That's essentially what I did. Bought the 2-discer from my local Tower the other day (went back yesterday and there were none left--either pulled or purchased) and left it sealed. Then ordered from Amazon on Sunday, and it is in the "shipping soon" process so it should ship today. But now at Amazon, you can no longer purchase the 2-discer, and there is a new listing for another 2-discer. Strange stuff.

I just wish it would be made clearer what is going on, so that I'd know for sure if I was scrambling to buy the better version, or just would have been better off waiting a couple of weeks for the re-released 2-disc version.
Just checked Amazon.com, and on their page for BB DE they have a small note at the top of the page that states:

Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers

So it would seem that amazon.com no longer carries the DE itself either ...

EDIT: I saw a couple of other retailers online have pulled the 2-disc as well. Among them, Walmart.com and Playcentric.ca.

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
The 2-disc version seems to be gone, as if it never existed. If it did have problems, it must have been either recalled, or very few stores carried it.

Hopefully, I can find one at lunchtime (before the eBay hounds snatch them up) and cancel my Amazon order.

Last edited by GuessWho; 10-26-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-26-05, 10:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Interesting. I haven't had any problems with my set. I wonder if it's a defect or a copyright thing?
Old 10-26-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, is there something wrong with it? I have it, but yet to watch it.
Old 10-26-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops. I just cancelled my CH order cuz it was still "awaiting stock." Not to say that stock would have come in, but I figured I wouldn't have a problem finding this in store. I better go today...
Old 10-26-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Other than the annoying as hell menus on the second disc, I haven't noticed any problems.
Old 10-26-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Wow, I was wondering why I didn't see the SE anywhere when I was out shopping yesterday. I thought it unlikely that it just sold out everywhere, or stores only ordered the regular one. Yeah, like Groucho says, must be either a defect or copyright issue. Wonder what happened?
Old 10-26-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to be just an issue with the comic book. Like I posted in another thread, there was a new listing for BB: 2-disc Edition at DVD Planet, and it specifically stated that the comic book wouldn't be included. It might be a rights issue or it might just be a "limited release" issue, but I think "recall" is too strong a word.
Old 10-26-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Same for me. I have the R3 copy of this one. Other than annoying menu (it's a multilingual menu on my copy) I haven't noticed anything yet. At least that's from a few skim across the features. May be it only happen on R1 version, who knows.
Old 10-26-05, 10:40 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
My copy plays fine as well. Must be the comic book rights issue, as already stated.
Old 10-26-05, 10:41 AM

I watched a lot of stuff on the second disc and the trailer and a few parts of the first without any significant problems.

The only thing I noticed was that sometimes on the second disc the French subtitles would turn on by themself, and I'd have to go and shut them off.

Boy, if this is OOP, and it's not because of a significant tech problem, then I'm glad I got it, especially on a pricematch of WM online's $15 and change price at Best Buy.

And isn't calling it a recall inaccurate? A recall would mean they are asking consumers who bought it to return it for repair/replacement, and that's not what's happening, is it?
Old 10-26-05, 10:44 AM

I too have yet to watch my copy but from what has been posted it does make sense that it's just a rights issue with the comic. All I can say is that I'm glad I decided to pick this up on the first day rather than wait. Lenticular cover AND limited comic book
Old 10-26-05, 10:47 AM
Cool New Member

Ive watched most of the stuff on the second disc and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it.

I too had to manually remove the French Subs thou...

Im gonna go try and find a few of these before its too late.
Old 10-26-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I watched everything, including all the bonus features and easter eggs. No problems whatsoever. Very nice set, I have a feeling that both it an Constantine will eventually come out with just the dvd case and not the comic and slipcover. If you look on the back of the artwork of the actual dvd, it says nothing about the comic book. I'm sure they are just a limited thing.
Old 10-26-05, 10:49 AM

Oh boy, this is like Ed Wood or ST:Generations SCE all over again ... if in fact it is a problem with rights for the comic reprint, I can't believe that Warner would be silly enough to not know about it until now, what with such a major title.
Old 10-26-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it wasn't a recall as we were allowed to sell through copies on shelf. However I was told that new stock may not arrive until after Xmas.
Old 10-26-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Perhaps WB is trying to unseat Universal as the biggest blunderer of major release DVD's?

Question - is it just a regular amaray case inside the cover? I'd probably just display that by itself anyways... don't care about the comic.
Old 10-26-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it's an Amaray under the cover with the comic slid in between.

Glad I got my copy, if it does turn out to be a legal issue.
Old 10-26-05, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Willh51
I watched everything, including all the bonus features and easter eggs. No problems whatsoever. Very nice set, I have a feeling that both it an Constantine will eventually come out with just the dvd case and not the comic and slipcover. If you look on the back of the artwork of the actual dvd, it says nothing about the comic book. I'm sure they are just a limited thing.
Not so sure about that though. I mean, if the dvd pack-in with the comic was just a limited item, then there should have been both a DE with the comic and a DE without the comic available at retailers and listed online simultaneously. Both the fact that this is not the case and the slow trickle of the online BB DE listings being pulled/revised seems to indicate otherwise.
Old 10-26-05, 11:07 AM

I can't believe that Warner would be silly enough to not know about it until now, what with such a major title.
I can. They also jumped the gun with their SEs of SUPERMAN (which resulted in a lawsuit) and the aborted BLADE RUNNER. I've always felt Warners gets far more credit than they deserve. Nice restorations on their older films but that's about it, in my opinion.
Old 10-26-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ran thru everything on the 2-disc last night without a glitch (though the comic book menu system on disc 2 was rather annoying). very interesting development, indeed.
Old 10-26-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
I can. They also jumped the gun with their SEs of SUPERMAN (which resulted in a lawsuit) and the aborted BLADE RUNNER. I've always felt Warners gets far more credit than they deserve. Nice restorations on their older films but that's about it, in my opinion.
Not to mention their recent hassle with Dukes of Hazzard's theatrical release, as well as the old issue with Little Shop of Horrors. However, I disagree with the overall criticism of WB. As a consumer, I'd almost rather they get something out that might be legally questionable and then deal with the consequences than not have it at all. Sort of like Criterion's stance: they'd rather release something for a very short amount of time than not release it at all.

And as for their DVDs, I completely disagree that they get "more credit than they deserve." They also do great presentations on recent films (Batman Anthology), as well as comprehensive and relevant special features. But that's another topic.
Old 10-26-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Other than the annoying as hell menus on the second disc, I haven't noticed any problems.

I haven't had any problems either. watched it once and almost all the bonus stuff on disk 2
Old 10-26-05, 11:51 AM

Well, I pre-ordered this a while ago at Amazon with a bunch of other stuff.
The last item to become available (Cannibal Holocaust), did so this past Tuesday, so I'm waiting for shipment. Since Amazon shows this only being available from third party sellers, I called them to see if this was reserved since it was a pre-order. It's no longer available and was not reserved for my order. Now I'm no longer going to receive this.
Thanks Amazon
Old 10-26-05, 11:56 AM
Banned

Best Buy doesn't even list it on their site any more.
Old 10-26-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cverneau
Well, I pre-ordered this a while ago at Amazon with a bunch of other stuff.
The last item to become available (Cannibal Holocaust), did so this past Tuesday, so I'm waiting for shipment. Since Amazon shows this only being available from third party sellers, I called them to see if this was reserved since it was a pre-order. It's no longer available and was not reserved for my order. Now I'm no longer going to receive this.
Thanks Amazon
Damn it. That is bullshit! The one time I decide to preorder from Amazon is going to turn out to be a disater. Now I need to go and see if I can find it locally.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.