Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks Series Two???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks Series Two???

Old 12-09-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
One of these days i will learn not to get my hopes up when a thread like this gets bumped.
Old 12-09-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time this thread gets bumped without any real, substantial news to share, God kills a kitten.
Old 12-10-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to think, I actually thought that there was going to be news... silly silly me
Old 12-15-05, 04:17 PM
Suspended

sorry to bump this without any new news, but i was hoping someone could shed some light about the season 1 dvd set. today i was looking to buy it for a gift and was a little confused. it looks out of print according to amazon, is it? are there multiple versions of this? will there be a super director's cut collector's edition of this coming out soon? thanks.
Old 12-15-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by The Baumer
sorry to bump this without any new news, but i was hoping someone could shed some light about the season 1 dvd set. today i was looking to buy it for a gift and was a little confused. it looks out of print according to amazon, is it? are there multiple versions of this? will there be a super director's cut collector's edition of this coming out soon? thanks.
Artisan/Lion's Gate no longer holds the rights to the show, hence their DVD release is out of print. Paramount currently holds the rights. There have been many rumors about Paramount releasing S2 and re-releasing S1, but nothing concrete has come of it.
Old 12-16-05, 12:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Every time this thread gets bumped without any real, substantial news to share, God kills a kitten.
One, great line, made me LOL.

Two, I have seen one episode of this show, loved it, but am waiting until it is all available before I watch another.
Old 12-16-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

another reason to go all region..can get the reg 2 set which includes the pilot for under 30 bucks shipped
Old 12-17-05, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
another reason to go all region..can get the reg 2 set which includes the pilot for under 30 bucks shipped
Ah yes but it isn't the true pilot! Taken from TwinPeaks.org:

Before TP was sold to ABC as a series, Lynch/Frost raised
money to finance the production of the pilot episode by
signing a contract with Warner Home Video. The contract
gave Warner Home Video the rights to sell the pilot episode
as a movie on video in Europe (not knowing whether the pilot
would result in a series, Warner wanted to ensure they could
make their money back.) In order to sell it as a movie, the
contract stipulated that the pilot must stand on its own and
have a "closed ending" where the murder of Laura Palmer was
resolved.

Lynch/Frost had planned for and expected the pilot to be
picked up and turned into a series, and thus had not written
such a resolution for the pilot. When, during the filming
of the pilot, they were reminded of their contractual
obligation, they filmed the ending described below and gave
Warner Home Video their "standalone" European movie, even
though the ending did not make much sense and does not jibe
with events in the TV series.

Parts of the European movie ending were used later in edited
form for the dream sequence at the end of episode 2. (In
fact, you will notice that the summary of his dream that
Cooper gives Lucy and Harry at the beginning of episode 3
includes events that are portrayed in the European pilot
ending, but not in Cooper's dream as shown in episode 2!)
Old 12-17-05, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Ah yes but it isn't the true pilot! Taken from TwinPeaks.org:
Egon, you are incorrect. The Region 2 Spanish release DOES HAVE the Pilot episode with the open ending (that was intended). Not the "Euro-ending" which ends the whole search for the killer and was done just to fulfill the contract.

The Pilot Episode is included in all non-US releases of the first season on DVD. For those in the US, there is a DVD release from Catalyst Logic (and some "Wave" company in the US sells it too) that is available on amazon.com.

The "Euro-ending" is not available on DVD anywhere. It is however on the Pilot Episode Laserdisc that was released in the US and Japan.

Regardless, the Region 2 Spanish release of the entire show has poor image quality. I'd recommend people still wait for the upcoming release...whenever that is.
Old 12-18-05, 09:35 AM

Interesting, didn't know that. I'm in the Czech Republic and as far as I know the DVD set here (I don't think it's available anymore, but I've seen at rental shops) has the Euro pilot, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I had thought the only DVD release of the true pilot was the now out-of-print Republic DVD from Korea.

At any rate, if it's true that all Twin Peaks properties, including the true pilot, are now in the hands of Paramount, there's a good chance we'll see a comprehensive release.
Old 12-18-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I hope we never get any "official" release of the Euro pilot, as it has a ridiculous ending. However, I wouldn't turn my nose up at an official Paramount release of the "normal" pilot.
Old 12-18-05, 08:09 PM

It would be cool to have the European ending as a supplement to the broadcast version of the pilot. The two are exactly the same up until the end, wherein the Euro Pilot lasts 15 minutes longer, and the broadcast pilot is only like 45 seconds longer.
Old 12-19-05, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
However, I wouldn't turn my nose up at an official Paramount release of the "normal" pilot.
I rather like the true pilot and hope Paramount will release it (with decent A/V!), as it is a necessary part of the series.

Aha, I see on Amazon.co.uk that their Season 1 box is the same as the U.S. but with the true pilot. Is the A/V as bad on this as in other regions? I've always heard it was crap.
Old 12-19-05, 09:01 AM

The Pilot on the UK discs is not as good as on the other episodes in that set. It is however better than the Taiwan/Catalyst Logic/Wave Imports release.

From what I recall, the Korean official season one dvd set is the best version of the Pilot episode for us NTSC people. The UK release is the best for PAL people...again, from what I remember. Actually, I think there is a comparison up at dugpa.com somewhere...if you feel like searching around that site.
Old 01-03-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was confused why non-american people always said Series as well. So I questioned it and found out that they call a season a series.
Sorry for bumping the thread with no news, but this has been bugging me for a long time. Now, I'm a big anglophile, I love the British, but some things just don't make sense to me. Case in point, the whole season/series thing. To me, it makes the most sense to call a TV show a series, because it's a continuous series of episodes. This series of episodes is devided into broadcast seasons. Just makes sense, I don't know... What do the British call a series then?
Old 01-03-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Damn, got me again.
Old 01-03-06, 10:51 AM

Well in the US we have two words that mean the same thing. The TV Show and the TV series are basically the same thing. The UK just separates them. You have the entire show and it has multiple series...because what the US calls a season, they have it run as a series of episodes. So there are multiple series of the same show. Not sure if that makes more sense...but it makes sense to me, even tho I prefer to say season.
Old 01-03-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So there is no "season" term at all in the UK TV system?

Calling a season a series, to me, is a bit misleading and confusing. It carries a notion that it's a completed series of episodes. That is to say, it can stand on its own, whereas, often that's not the case, as most shows end the season with a cliffhanger that is usually resolved in the beginning of next season. Which is why a TV show being called a series is more correct, in my opinion, since the full run of the show is one complete series of seasons.

I think a book analogy could be used. Like the Harry Potter series, for instance. The "series" refers not to individual volumes ("seasons"), but the collection of these volumes.
Old 03-08-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Just wish Paramount could just give us the confirmation and the date for the release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5256
Old 03-09-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not curse it by saying nothing. I just hope to see it soon.
Old 03-10-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from dugpa.com:

March 7th 2006
Paramount Hints at Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD and News from Germany
The awesome website, TVSHOWSonDVD.com has an interesting article about a Twin Peaks promotional image that is up on the Paramount Press site. While it's no secret that Paramount plans on releasing Season 2 on DVD, the big questions are "When?" and "How will the quality compare to the Artisan Season 1 Boxed Set?" Well, previously we were told that Lynch would not be able to begin doing the transfers until he is finished with mixing Inland Empire, which won't be for another month or two I would guess. Interesting enough, I received an email today letting me know that according to the German "DVD-Magazin" (Issue 03/06 April, page 77) the Season 2 DVD Set of Twin Peaks RC2 will be released in Germany on June 1st. 2006, with reports that they are going to release all 22 Episodes of Season 2 in one set and not split in as it had been stated earlier. Well, this is quite interesting news. So back to the original questions... Will Twin Peaks Season 2 be released in June or will it wait until Lynch has more time to supervise the transfers. Even so, if Season 2 gets released in June, what will the transfers look like? Unless someone at Paramount wants to return my emails, and you know who you are, I guess we will have to just wait and see.
Old 04-14-06, 09:19 AM

not that i am advocating piracy or anything, but today a scene-release of S2 (along with S1) was posted to usenet that is listed as DVD rip and the nfo-file states - source: DVD

these groups usually get retail DVDs a few days (weeks?) before store-date, so maybe a release is just round the corner?

*hoping*
Old 04-14-06, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by p h a n a t | c
today a scene-release of S2 (along with S1) was posted to usenet that is listed as DVD rip and the nfo-file states - source: DVD
Phanatic, Twin Peaks season 2 is ALREADY AVAILALBE on DVD. That's what those DVD rips are made from. It's the season 2 DVD release from Spain that those are made from. The quality leaves MUCH to be desired.

Last edited by JLyon1515; 04-16-06 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-15-06, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Phanatic, Twin Peaks season 2 is ALREADY AVAILALBE on DVD. That's what those DVD rips are made from. It's the season 2 DVD release from Spain that those are made from. The quality is MUCH to be desired.
OH!
thanks for clearing that up!
Old 04-16-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Phanatic, Twin Peaks season 2 is ALREADY AVAILALBE on DVD. That's what those DVD rips are made from. It's the season 2 DVD release from Spain that those are made from. The quality is MUCH to be desired.

well, WAS available on dvd. Those Spanish dvds have been out of print for quite some time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.