Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 03:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

thanks coyoteblue looks like ill be going to amoeba this weekend
Old 07-31-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bigluelok
hi everyone,
I recently got into watching Doctor Who and am thinking i need to own every Doctor who series i can find but i want to get them in order so how do these series work?

is it like friends where the seasons are separated or is it more like family guy where they have volumes?
Hi bigluelok!

If you go to the first three Posts on this Thread, you'll find a breakdown of every Doctor Who story that's been released on DVD so far in continuity/story order. Post #2 is "The Grid".

Hope that helps!
Old 07-31-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigluelok
hi everyone,
I recently got into watching Doctor Who and am thinking i need to own every Doctor who series i can find but i want to get them in order so how do these series work?
Check my signature for a link.
Old 09-19-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Is this thread dead?

Amazon D-O-T-D Doctor Who: The David Tennant Years $69.99
Old 09-19-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Is this thread dead?
Never.
Old 09-25-12, 08:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I picked up that set from that deal. Great price. I would love a similar set for each Doctor. You could even break up Tom Baker's run into multiple parts too.
Old 09-26-12, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geddlo
I picked up that set from that deal. Great price. I would love a similar set for each Doctor. You could even break up Tom Baker's run into multiple parts too.
The big problem with the Tennant Years set, though, is the packaging: it's the same type of cardboard-sleeved disaster as that complete 'Martinis and Medicine' M*A*S*H set. You're far better off buying the seasons individually if you can afford it (or if you are region free, by importing the much cheaper R2 sets).
Old 09-28-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who: Limited Edition Gift Set starring Christopher Eccleson, David Tennant, and Matt Smith - November 20, 2012

(87 episodes, mostly 45 minutes each, 41 DVD discs, $249.99)

This is a collector’s edition DVD box set of every episode from the first six series of the new series, starting with the Ninth Doctor in Rose and continuing through the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, stopping at The Wedding of River Song. It’s basically every disc you get in the Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 box sets, plus one extra disc containing three of the four recent BBC America specials about the show: The Women of Doctor Who, The Timey-Wimey of Doctor Who, and The Destinations of Doctor Who.

Also included will be a toy sonic screwdriver of the type the Matt Smith Doctor uses (the green light, sound effects, and claw toy), three art cards, and a 22-page comic book called Doctor Who at Comic-Con telling the story of a visit by the Doctor to San Diego Comic Con.

EDIT: I've also updated the very first 3 posts in this thread.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-28-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Doctor Who: Limited Edition Gift Set starring Christopher Eccleson, David Tennant, and Matt Smith - November 20, 2012

This is a collector’s edition DVD box set of every episode from the first six series of the new series, starting with the Ninth Doctor in Rose and continuing through the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, stopping at The Wedding of River Song. It’s basically every disc you get in the Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 box sets, plus one extra disc containing three of the four recent BBC America specials about the show: The Women of Doctor Who, The Timey-Wimey of Doctor Who, and The Destinations of Doctor Who.

Also included will be a toy sonic screwdriver of the type the Matt Smith Doctor uses (the green light, sound effects, and claw toy), three art cards, and a 22-page comic book called Doctor Who at Comic-Con telling the story of a visit by the Doctor to San Diego Comic Con.
EDIT: I've also updated the very first 3 posts in this thread.
Well, the inclusion of the extra disc annoys me, as I've already got Series 1, 2, 3, 4 and an autographed copy of 5 on DVD, along with David Tennant's Complete Specials, Series 5 and Series 6 on Blu-Ray.
Old 09-29-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the bonus disc will show up in the Complete Series 7 box set next year?

I hope.
Old 09-29-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Well, now we know why Amazon was selling the complete Tennant boxed set for $70.
Old 09-29-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Maybe the bonus disc will show up in the Complete Series 7 box set next year?

I hope.
Won't be any big loss if they don't. Those specials are really kind of useless; I think I've seen most of them and don't think I'd ever bother watching them again.
Old 09-29-12, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Well, now we know why Amazon was selling the complete Tennant boxed set for $70.
Another reason might be that, perhaps, it was under-performing due to the terrible packaging design (cardboard pockets, like that complete M*A*S*H set, making scratched-discs pretty-much certain), which was also getting plenty of negative reviews on their site.
Old 10-18-12, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who - 'Story #109: Shada' - The Unfinished Story Written by Douglas Adams - is Announced!
Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor, along with Romana and K-9, come home in January

Posted by David Lambert
10/17/2012

Almost exactly a year ago we reported that Doctor Who - Story #109: Shada, the Douglas Adams-written story starring Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor, was being planned for a DVD release. In the article, we described how this 1979 production, originally set to be the 17th season finale, went unfinished due to a labor strike that affected Doctor Who and other BBC programs. Since the story never completed filming, a small part of it was used in a scene from Story #130: The Five Doctors, and then in 1992 a VHS release of Shada came out, with the BBC using the existing filmed scenes, and then with Tom Baker himself providing narration to link the missing portions of the story to all of the available scenes and sequences.

Today, BBC Home Entertainment and distributor Warner Home Video have announced that Doctor Who - Story #109: Shada will come to DVD on January 8th, as a 2-disc set which is priced at $39.98 SRP. Running 109 minutes, it features digitally remastered picture and sound quality. The bonus material will feature the already-announced-as-included 1995 documentary "More Than 30 Years in the TARDIS." This highly-desirable item is described as having "dozens of classic excerpts featuring all seven [classic program] Doctors, clips from the widescreen trailers of the two Dalek movies starring Peter Cushing," and more "archive gems" and "treasures from the cutting room floor." Sweet! You'll ADDITIONALLY get these special features as well:

Shada - Flash version
Taken Out of Time
Now and Then
Strike! Strike! Strike!
Being a Girl Women in Doctor Who
Remembering Nicholas Courtney
Doctor Who Stories - Peter Purves
The Lambert Tapes - Part 1 (about founding producer Verity Lambert)
Those Deadly Divas
Photo Galleries
Easter Egg
PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
Production Note Subtitles

Note that out of all the stories featuring Tom Baker's 4th Doctor, there's only one left that's unreleased-on-DVD besides Shada, and that's Story #080: Terror of the Zygons (which is already said to be in-the-works for release sometime in 2013). Getting Shada first is a thrill for many fans, including me! Package art isn't available yet, but here's a quote of the studio's description about this item, with all the remaining information currently available to us through BBC/Warner sources:

New to DVD! Digitally remastered Doctor Who classic Shada! Written by Douglas Adams as his final contribution to Doctor Who, Shada was envisaged as a Time Lord story without a Gallifreyan setting. It sees the Doctor bringing Romana to present-day Earth to visit Professor Chronotis, an elderly Time Lord who absconded from Gallifrey and now lives a quiet academic life at St Cedd's College in Cambridge. Also seeking Chronotis is a scientist called Skagra who has a device, in the form of a floating sphere, with which he intends to steal the Professor's mind and thereby learn the location of a book entitled The Worshipful and Ancient Law of Gallifrey. Skagra eventually succeeds in obtaining the book, which has been borrowed from the Professor's study by a student named Chris Parsons. He then kidnaps Romana and hijacks the TARDIS.
Old 10-18-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I've never seen any of the Shada versions, but I always wondered if it would have been possible to finish the story by having a modern Doctor finish the adventure, maybe even film it so it would look like the old footage.

I'll be buying anyways, I guess I just always have grander ideas than are probably necessary.
Old 10-18-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right after the strike that stopped the completion of Shada ended, then Doctor Who producer John Nathan-Turner tried to get the serial off the ground again. With Tom Baker's final season coming up, it became harder to backtrack to complete the serial. After Peter Davison took over, Nathan-Turner tried to get a Christmas special mounted that would have Davison's Doctor telling the story of Shada using the Baker footage whenever possible. That fell through.

The Tom Baker-narrated version from the 90s is a lot of fun with Tom being "Tom Baker" to the Nth degree. "Shada. SHAAAAAA-DAAAAAA!"

The most "complete" version was the Flash version that appeared on BBCi back in the early 2000s. The 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) had to "finish" the adventure with Romana (Lalla Ward) and K9 (John Leeson) due to some timey-wimey circumstances.

There was a whole fiasco regarding an animated version of Shada that was submitted to the BBC for this DVD release. Ian Levine, using his own money, produced an animated version of the serial. The BBC passed for whatever reason and in-fights between Who fans (on the Gallifrey board) was the result. Levine also produced complete versions of Dimensions in Time (the 30th Anniversary "special") and Downtime (Doctor Who DTV spin-off from the 90s). Ian is one of the most enthusiastic Doctor Who fans ever!

I'm not entirely sure how this DVD release is being handled. Re-using the Baker VHS or animating the stuff that wasn't shot? At least the McGann Flash version is included.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-18-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$39.99 MSRP for an unfinished episode?

BBC can go fuck themselves.
Old 10-18-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not trying to defend the pricing but it also has the 90 minute+ documentary "More Than 30 Years in the TARDIS." So technically, it's a 90 minute special with an added 40 to 60 minutes of a deleted story.
Old 10-18-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Thanks The Valeyard.

Say, I just noticed you don't have your collection linked in your sig, do you have every Who DVD released so far? Region 1 or 2?
Old 10-18-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually stopped picking up the monthly releases a few years back because I was traveling for work. I also had a pretty big backlog of titles because I loved watching everything - Documentaries, commentaries, featurettes. As much Who as I can get! I'm slowly making my way through the backlog and picking up a new title whenever possible.

I stick to mainly Region 1 releases unless something was dropped (like a Beatles song) then I pick up the Region 2 version. I do have all the spin-off titles from BBV, Torchwood & Sarah Jane. No K9 yet.

EDIT TO ADD: More info about the Shada release:

After months of speculation, the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine has confirmed that the main version of Shada presented will be the 102 minute, 1992 VHS release, which included added effects, music, and linking narration by Tom Baker. Though no other R2 information has been released at present, the R1 details indicate that the set will also contain the re-interpreted version of Shada featuring Paul McGann that was produced by Big Finish and released as a Flash animation during the 40th Anniversary for (and still available from) the BBC's official Doctor Who website.

Other features (R1 details) include a documentary on the troubled history of Shada's production, Taken Out of Time, a look at the story's locations in Now and Then, the first part of a feature on Doctor Who's first producer Verity Lambert in The Lambert Tapes - Part 1, memories of the Doctor's honorary companion in Remembering Nicholas Courtney, another companion profile with Doctor Who Stories - Peter Purves, plus Strike! Strike! Strike!, Being a Girl - Women in Doctor Who, and Those Deadly Divas.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-18-12 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 10-19-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very interesting. I shall have to check this out...
Old 10-19-12, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
$39.99 MSRP for an unfinished episode?

BBC can go fuck themselves.
Technically, it was finished in 1992 with Tom Baker providing videotaped linking narration where the missing footage was located. So, early episodes were mostly complete, while later episodes were mostly Tom's linking material.

Not ideal, but it was about the best that could be done at the time. So, it's hardly just an unfinished episode (sic).

Also, no one's forcing you to buy it.
Old 10-20-12, 01:52 PM

Looks like it's going to be a 3-discer
Old 11-09-12, 01:24 AM

What's the deal with The Complete Series 2???? I went to (finally) pick up my copy from amazon and it appears to be MIA?
Old 11-09-12, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat
What's the deal with The Complete Series 2???? I went to (finally) pick up my copy from amazon and it appears to be MIA?
The 2006 release of Series One is also only available through the marketplace or "Fulfilled by", but there is also a 2012 release of the same title listed, with somewhat different package art by the look of it (the purple BBC logo on the front instead of the one that was on the previous release). A quick look at DVDpriceCheck tells me that apparently the series is going through a re-package, so the earlier releases must be going OOP. According to them, Series 1, 2 and Complete Specials have all been repackaged so far.

My guess is they're chucking out those massive DigiPaks and maybe replacing them with thinner ones (or with plastic cases like they did in R2/UK's Series 1-4 boxset).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.