Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 02-10-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Not DVD related but I thought Doctor Who fans would be interested:

Doctor Who/Star Trek: TNG comic book coming out in May.

Old 03-21-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't been here in a while. Been time travelling. Unfortunately in a linear chronological fashion, but I'm working on that! I just read the great news about the two recovered episodes. AAAAHHHH. Awesome.
There are a few stills and a couple of clips which can also be found on the Lost in Time set. Other than that, nothing except audio
But just to point out that (as Valeyard knows for he used to be a contact for those i think he once said) there exists reconstructions of lost serials with complete audio track with video bits and photo and some simple computer animation added that make complete stories. Quite cool but only available on VHS from Loose Cannon productions (free too).
Still, major drooling over those two recovered episodes. There is still hope!
Old 03-21-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Not DVD related but I thought Doctor Who fans would be interested:

Doctor Who/Star Trek: TNG comic book coming out in May.

If they're going to do Star Trek/Doctor Who crossovers, I think I'd rather that they keep them within their respective eras.

So for OG Trek, they should use the Hartnell or Troughton Doctor.

For TNG, they should use either Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy.

And for nuTrek, they could use Matt Smith.
Old 03-21-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. The match-up feels odd and I wish they went with what you propose above. Smith's Doctor and nuTrek would have been an awesome team up. However, I'm still very excited with the comic that's coming out.

When IDW first got the Who property, they asked John Byrne if he had any ideas he'd like to propose (and he could not use the Daleks). Apparently, he pitched a Pertwee Doctor meets Gary Seven crossover set in the 70s. I'm not sure how far it got up the ladder but the proposal was rejected. That would have been fun!
Old 03-21-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I agree. The match-up feels odd and I wish they went with what you propose above. Smith's Doctor and nuTrek would have been an awesome team up. However, I'm still very excited with the comic that's coming out.

When IDW first got the Who property, they asked John Byrne if he had any ideas he'd like to propose (and he could not use the Daleks). Apparently, he pitched a Pertwee Doctor meets Gary Seven crossover set in the 70s. I'm not sure how far it got up the ladder but the proposal was rejected. That would have been fun!
Yeah, that Gary Seven/Pertwee story sounds like it might be fun. Throw in the Brigadier and UNIT, and it almost writes itself.

Some cool team-up ideas:

Original Trek crew + Hartnell or Troughton vs. Klingons and Daleks.
Gary Seven + Pertwee & UNIT vs The Master
Next Gen crew + Colin Baker vs Q
Next Gen movie crew + McGann vs Borg and Cybermen
nuTrek crew + Matt Smith vs Something New
Old 03-21-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back when I was a young fanboy with dreams of grandeur - I wrote a (horrible) short story where the Seventh Doctor (Time's Champion version) ventured into the TNG universe to face his old foe Q. It was a typical Q episode with McCoy's Doctor using the TNG crew as chess pieces leaving them to wonder who the true villain was. If I remember right (it was a long time ago), Q is defeated and Picard orders the Doctor off the Enterprise, crew ready to fight if he declines.
Old 04-17-12, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for every single Tom Baker episodes on DVD.

Has anyone seen a deal lately?
Old 04-17-12, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leahcim

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a "Tom Baker Megaset", excluding the season 16 boxed set ("The Key To Time"). You'll likely need to ferret-out deals serial-by-serial. Personally, the only classic Doctor Who I own on DVD are the "Key To Time" and "Trial of a Time Lord" (season 23) boxed sets, specifically because they are boxed sets. I am waiting for more full-season sets, or in the case of Doctors like Troughton and McCoy, perhaps full-Doctor sets, since their available storyline counts are relatively light. I bought what I did, figuring that a boxed set signifies the end of the line and no more tinkering, although that didn't stop the BBC from releasing an updated "Key To Time" set a few years ago. Sigh.
Old 04-17-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,008 Likes on 834 Posts

Back in 2008, BBC released a 27-disc set of every available episode at that time, but it's long out of print and grossly outdated (and much more than Baker).

The fact that they just did a Tennant set means they're not opposed to the idea, and of course they'd do Baker if they did any classic Doctor. Once all of his have been released individually, of course.
Old 04-17-12, 01:51 PM

I'll keep an eye out on eBay. I would really like to get them in like new or Exc. used to save some cash. Maybe someone will have a bunch listed in one lot someday.
Old 04-17-12, 02:24 PM

Some of the Tom Baker episodes aren't out on DVD at all yet - as things stand any Tom Baker megaset would be lacking Terror of the Zygons (and Shada, which is incomplete because strike action at the BBC disrupted production of it)

There has long been speculation that once all of the existing stories are relased onto DVD then full season sets might follow, perhaps in more compact packaging). Of course, Hartnell and Troughton espescially present a problem in that there is so much missing from their eras. At present, only Trial of a Timelord and the Key to Time are "complete sets", all of the others are made up of themed or linked stories (often having very tenuous links!)

The Key to Time double release in r1 is easily explained; at the time of the first release, Warner ran a questionnaire asking fans to vote for their favourite title to appear on DVD. They listed the Key to Time as a single title, and the fans instantly saw an opportunity to get six stories out in one go (remember this was when there was a maximum of six stories released in a year, and we were facing a potential wait of 20+ years for completion).

This meant that Warner were committed to a release unique to r1 and thus the stories in the set did not receive the usual loving care given to all the others by the Restoration Team - also, it was decidedly lacking in extras, for the same reason.

All other stories were, and have been, fully restored and so on, and have always been released in the Uk first, sometimes r1 having a different release order - although this has now changed so that releases are more-or-less parallel

The second Key to Time set was the usualy fully restored version, and indeed, was the first instance of the accelerated release rate which saw a committment to at least ten releases per year, many of which were to be multi-title sets. The fully restored KtT was subsequently released in r1 in the usual way. The first UK release was a limited edittion in special packaging, there was a non-limited version somewhile later.

If you're willing to wait, then if season sets are released then I would suspect they will be a lower price point than the current ones.
Old 04-18-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Regarding the missing serials from the first few Doctors, there has also been some work on the part of the DW restoration team to animate the missing serials since they have audio for every episode. There was already one released (The Invasion, I believe), and there was some artwork released a little while back showing an animated Hartnell.

I've held off buying the "lost episode" compilations in hopes that they will fully animate all the missing serials at some point.
Old 04-18-12, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Regarding the missing serials from the first few Doctors, there has also been some work on the part of the DW restoration team to animate the missing serials since they have audio for every episode. There was already one released (The Invasion, I believe), and there was some artwork released a little while back showing an animated Hartnell.

I've held off buying the "lost episode" compilations in hopes that they will fully animate all the missing serials at some point.

Don't hold your breath. Current policy at BBC Worldwide matches the policy they had in the days of the VHS releases: only stories where more than half of the episodes exist will get their own separate release. That is why we have The Invasion, and is also why we are getting The Reign of Terror (the animated Hartnell you mentioned).

There are only two other stories left where more than half of the missing episodes exist: The Ice Warriors (which is rumoured to be getting an animation or some sort or reconstruction) and The Tenth Planet (whether that gets an animated episode or the existing reconstruction from the VHS is anyone's guess at this stage).

This is why those episodes were not included in the Lost in Time collection, because they were already planned to get their own separate releases (even if no one would confirm those plans back in the day).

Animation is expensive and given the current economic climate, it's highly unlikely that the BBC would pay to animate three episodes of The Celestial Toymaker, for example, when only one exists, or to animate all six episodes of Power of the Daleks, for example. They just likely wouldn't make enough money back to justify the amount spent.
Old 04-18-12, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by leahcim

If you have a region-free player, and can handle PAL format, then buying the Region 2 releases is easily the least expensive way to build a Doctor Who collection, even considering foreign postage, etc.

The older titles are discounted sooner in the UK than they are here, and often discounted more. Also, there are more multi-story boxsets in the UK, and when those hit bargain prices, the per-story cost gets pretty cheap.

Of course, many of those boxsets span multiple doctors, though, and most of the UK-boxed titles aren't available individually over there, so if you're only collecting a single Doctor, could be a bit of a problem.
Old 06-20-12, 09:39 PM

Doctor Who The Movie is $9.99 at Best Buy. You can't order it from their website, but you can check on their website and see if they have it in stock at a store near you. The sticker on the DVD indicates that it was originally $29.99, which is absolutely ridiculous. The lowest this has ever been on Amazon according to CamelCamelCamel is $17.99, so unless they price match this looks to be the lowest you can get Doctor Who The Movie. This doesn't get a lot of good reviews and I'll admit it's not the best Doctor Who outing I've see, but it's not horrible and the special features are pretty good.

I really wish they would have more sales on Doctor Who DVDs. Amazon had a nice sale going sometime back, but right now the prices suck. Hopefully that changes soon.
Old 06-22-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for that!
Old 06-23-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
If you have a region-free player, and can handle PAL format, then buying the Region 2 releases is easily the least expensive way to build a Doctor Who collection, even considering foreign postage, etc.

The older titles are discounted sooner in the UK than they are here, and often discounted more. Also, there are more multi-story boxsets in the UK, and when those hit bargain prices, the per-story cost gets pretty cheap.

Definitely. I've been picking up a lot of classic Doctor Who over the last year or so, and I've gotten some drastic savings by ordering the R2 releases---especially used.
Old 06-26-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I go R2 is if they remove something in the US version (such as Beatles songs or missing features). I generally keep to R1 for the most part.

I was at Best Buy yesterday and noticed the sale on Doctor Who The Movie lasts until 7/28. Hopefully (HOPEFULLY!!!), this sale will kick off other Who titles dropping in price for a short window.
Old 06-26-12, 03:53 PM

I'm hoping that when Doctor Who returns this fall that they'll have a sale going like they did last year when Series Six started. They had Series 1-4 for $35 each then, but I don't remember what the prices were for the classic series.

Planet Of The Giants will be released on September 11, 2012 for region 1 viewers.
Old 06-26-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I knew. I have to update the First three posts. I've been busy but I'll try and get to it today. I hope!
Old 07-30-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The actress Mary Tamm - who played the first incarnation of Romana - died this morning aged 62 after a long battle with cancer, her agent Barry Langford has announced.
Sad. : (
Time to go back to watching Key to Time i guess...
Old 07-31-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard about this over the weekend. Some of my Who friends gathered together to watch The Ribos Operation.

RIP "Fred."
Old 07-31-12, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
I'm hoping that when Doctor Who returns this fall that they'll have a sale going like they did last year when Series Six started. They had Series 1-4 for $35 each then, but I don't remember what the prices were for the classic series.
Each??? Holy crap! You can get all four of them for less than $70 total (delivered) from R2! That's about half of Best Buy's sale price!
Old 07-31-12, 02:16 PM
Cool New Member

hi everyone,
I recently got into watching Doctor Who and am thinking i need to own every Doctor who series i can find but i want to get them in order so how do these series work?

is it like friends where the seasons are separated or is it more like family guy where they have volumes?
Old 07-31-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bigluelok
hi everyone,
I recently got into watching Doctor Who and am thinking i need to own every Doctor who series i can find but i want to get them in order so how do these series work?

is it like friends where the seasons are separated or is it more like family guy where they have volumes?
Classic Who you'll have to go by Doctor (Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, Davidson, C. Baker, McCoy) and episode number. There a few boxes, usually mixed & matched, but mostly it's just one adventure per disc. New Who, just get them in season order by box set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.