Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Thank you for the list and the information Valeyard!

Last question...for now: where do the David Tennant animated movies go chronologically? I know they aren't exactly connected to the live action episodes, but I'm just wondering where to place them on my shelves.
Old 11-28-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Happy to help.

I place The Infinite Quest between Series 3 and 4 because chronologically, it takes place during Series 3.

I put Dreamland before The Complete Specials because it takes place sometime in-between The Waters of Mars and End of Time.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wish Barnes & Noble would have another British Television sale so I can get closer toward completing my Doctor Who collection
Old 11-29-11, 09:30 PM
Cool New Member

Someone in one of the threads in the Bargain forum said that there's supposed to be another BBC sale at Barnes & Noble starting on the 6th of December, I think.
Old 11-29-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by seamusmclean
Someone in one of the threads in the Bargain forum said that there's supposed to be another BBC sale at Barnes & Noble starting on the 6th of December, I think.
Well, that'll give me some incentive to grab some more.

On a different topic, Nash, a reviewer on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com whom typically does comedic reviews of classic Doctor Who episodes, has just released his video on Castrovalva.
Old 12-01-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just FYI - Last week, some people mentioned in the Blu-Ray Bargains Thread that The Complete Sixth Series Blu-Ray is mis-priced at some Best Buys for $36.99 (opposed to $74.99). I just got back from my local BB and they still had two copies for $36. The CSR changed the price to match the sticker without even asking.

It's worth a shot to check your local BB if you're interested in picking up the Sixth Series.
Old 12-01-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

upcoming Who Releases for Region 1:
Doctor Who: Invasion of the Dinosaurs - January 10th, 2011
Doctor Who: The Android Invasion - January 10th, 2011
Doctor Who: The Sensorites - February 14th, 2012
Doctor Who: The Caves of Androzani SE - February 14th, 2012
Doctor Who: Tomb of the Cybermen SE - March 13th, 2012
Doctor Who: The Three Doctors SE - March 13th, 2012
Doctor Who: The Face of Evil - March 13th, 2012
Doctor Who: The Robots of Death SE - March 13th, 2012

for more information, see the beginning of this thread

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 12-02-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Already posted in the first post in this Thread.

Also - The Caves Special Edition comes out on Feb. 14th with The Sensorites.
Old 12-02-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts

I'll definitely be double dipping on Robots of Death. I guess it was an early release without subtitles, and there are some absolutely incomprehensible stretches of dialog that neither my wife nor I can make it through.
Old 12-11-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Huzzah!

Two Doctor Who episodes recovered!

The BBC revealed today that two complete episodes of Doctor Who have been returned to the BBC Archives.

Firstly, the complete third episode of the William Hartnell story Galaxy 4, Air Lock has been recovered - prior to this only a short segment from the first episode remained in the archive with no telesnaps taken to show how the third episode and its characters would have looked.

Secondly, the complete second episode of Patrick Troughton's third story The Underwater Menace has also been recovered - making this the earliest complete episode for the Second Doctor to now exist in the Archives (alongside the existing episode three).

Both episodes were shown this afternoon at the British Film Institute's Missing Believed Wiped event - the first time they've been seen in the United Kingdom since their original transmission! (Air Lockwas originally seen on 25th September 1965, with The Underwater Menace episode two on 21st January 1968.)

These are the first full episodes to have been recovered since the 1965 Daleks' Master Plan episode Day of Armageddon turned up back in 2004, and brings the total missing episodes tally to 106. The existing material for both stories can be found on the Lost in Time DVD boxed set.

Time to search those attics for more episodes!
Missing Episodes Returned!
Old 12-11-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Incredible! How can these people not be checking any and everything they own like that?
Old 12-11-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's amazing news! Here's some more info:

Both episodes were found via former TVS engineer Terry Burnett, who bought them at a school fête in Marchwood, Southampton back in the 1980s! Restoration Team member Ralph Montagu told the Radio Times how they came to his attention:

I occasionally meet up with a group of film collectors and retired TV engineers at a café in Hampshire. A few months ago I spoke to Terry Burnett, who used to be an engineer at TVS [the former ITV franchise based in Southampton]. Somehow Doctor Who was mentioned in passing, and Terry said, ‘Oh, actually I think I’ve got an old episode. I thought it was bound to be something we’ve got already,” says Ralph. “I tried not to get too excited, but he came back the next day and brought this spool with him. It had no label, so I had a look at the film leader and it said ‘Air Lock’. I thought, ‘What’s that?’ I checked online and saw that Air Lock was an episode of Galaxy 4 - a missing Hartnell serial. So then I got very excited.

(meeting with Terry a couple of weeks later) And he said, ‘Guess what I’ve got.’ It was another episode of Doctor Who! Again not labelled on the can, but it turned out to be The Underwater Menace part two.”
Old 12-11-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I to understand, though, that these story arcs still aren't complete?
Old 12-11-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's correct - They are not complete. Only one other episode of The Underwater Menace exists (Episode 3) and can be found on the Lost in Time set.

Before this discover, Galaxy 4 was almost visually non-existent. There are a few stills and a couple of clips which can also be found on the Lost in Time set. Other than that, nothing except audio. This was a GREAT find.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 12-11-11 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U6dZci_hddo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-12-11, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
That's correct - They are not complete. Only one other episode of The Underwater Menace exists (Episode 3) and can be found on the Lost in Time set.

Before this discover, Galaxy 4 was almost visually non-existent. There are a few stills and a couple of clips which can also be found on the Lost in Time set. Other than that, nothing except audio. This was a GREAT find.
Still kind of bittersweet, though. Every now and then a new episode or two will be found, but there are still one hundred or so that are still lost.

One can hope that, someday, somebody will find old VTR recordings of all of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes, hidden away in somebody's attic. Of course, if such things existed, it's also likely that somebody who didn't know what they are would toss them in the trash. Not sure how widely known it is about the missing Whos, but I can see someone finding a bunch of old Doctor Who tapes while they're cleaning out Uncle Jack's old house and throwing them away.

We can hold out a small amount of hope because someone who would have bought a VTR machine in the 1960s would be the type who would record Doctor Who.
Old 12-12-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I ever invent a time machine, on my way back to give Hitler an art school scholarship, I'm going to make copies of the first ten years of Who and hide them in a salt cave or something.
Old 12-12-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always dreamed of doing that....well, except for the Hitler part.

It always cracks me up that whenever someone finds out they had a missing Doctor Who episode, they always say "I figured the BBC already had a copy of this." I'm guessing there are still several unrecovered episodes out there that some collector thinks are already in the BBC archives.
Old 12-14-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

YES!!!!! Still kind of wish that it was something else that was recovered though, like Power of the Daleks, or a full ep of Fury From the Deep. That's awesome news.... I know it's been a long time between finds, but this kind of stuff really makes me think that there are ALWAYS more episodes out there waiting to be discovered.

I remember back in 1992 when I walked into my local Sci-Fi bookstore as a kid and the Doctor Who Magazine issue that was sitting on the shelf had Tomb of the Cybermen's recovery on the front cover.... that was one of the most memorable days of my life (and yes I still have that issue of DWM.... awesome memories)
Old 01-01-12, 09:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The trouble with the Silence cover is once you turn your back on it, you forget you own it.
Oh if only I could forget the Matt Smith era...
;-)
Old 01-05-12, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Autotelik
I remember back in 1992 when I walked into my local Sci-Fi bookstore as a kid and the Doctor Who Magazine issue that was sitting on the shelf had Tomb of the Cybermen's recovery on the front cover.... that was one of the most memorable days of my life (and yes I still have that issue of DWM.... awesome memories)
I have a related (but slightly different) memory: Opening the manilla envelope in my mail and pulling out the latest issue of my DWB subscription (you can see the cover here).

I was totally floored by the simple (but highly effective) cover!
Old 01-05-12, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One can hope that, someday, somebody will find old VTR recordings of all of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes, hidden away in somebody's attic. Of course, if such things existed, it's also likely that somebody who didn't know what they are would toss them in the trash. Not sure how widely known it is about the missing Whos, but I can see someone finding a bunch of old Doctor Who tapes while they're cleaning out Uncle Jack's old house and throwing them away.
Problem there, though, is that affordable home videocassettes (and recorders) aimed at the consumer didn't come out until the 1970s, after all the Hartnell/Troughton episodes were already transmitted, stuck back on the shelf, and slowly being destroyed.

The very first home reel-to-reel type of recorder that came out around 1965 (and didn't come out in the UK until 1966), but only the most well-off could afford them (somewhere around $5,000 in today's money for just the machine, and one-hour tapes would have been roughly equivalent to $250-$300each in today's dollars), plus only 200 or so of the recorders were sold worldwide, and mostly to institutions rather than individuals, so there's only an outside chance that some of what's missing from seasons three through six could turn up on that format. Another problem with these machines is that tracking wasn't adjustable, so swapping the tapes on machines other than the one they were recorded on was problematic, there were only 200 lines of resolution and finding a working player these days would be difficult.

Of course, other VTR machines (with differing technologies) came out throughout the 1960s so as the decade wore on, recoveries are somewhat more likely, but again, there's the old problem of the fact that since machines and tapes/cassettes were so expensive, it was usually only institutions (rather than the average joe) who had them, tapes got re-used a lot and there's still the old problem of finding a machine that can produced acceptable playback, etc. I think some decks were released around 1968 from Philips that were a bit more mass-produced than the earlier Sony ones, so most recoveries (if any were to happen) would probably date from that time forward (given that tapes were often re-used).

Still, a few missing episodes (and extracts) from the 1967 run of Till Death Us Do Part were discovered in the CV-2000 format, so while unlikely, it's not totally impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 01-05-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Torchwood: Miracle Day comes out March 13th:

Old 01-29-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From tvshowsonDVD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...sters-SE/16446

Daemons and a redo of Carnival of Monsters
Old 01-29-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's apparently a BBC replacement program for the Series 6 Blu-Rays. Discs 1, 3, 4, 5 are affected but the BBC will take back all 6 discs if you feel they're defective.

You can comb through the Gally Series 6 Thread for more information or just go to the last few pages of the Blu-Ray UK Forum for the intel and pix.

This effects both UK and US releases. UK report they're getting their replacements already. Nothing yet for US customers.

US - [email protected]

UK - [email protected]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.