Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 06-25-13, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

I want Moffat gone too but I don't have any missing episodes to barter with : (
Personally I think we the fans want this buried treasure to resurface so much that we easily cling to any hope that arises. This is TOO big and good to be true, I believe. As for the BBC hiding things, they've been pretty much forthcoming when they've recovered lost episodes in the past so why would they hide them now???
Old 06-25-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost episodes recovered would be more episodes the BBC could sell, and therefore make money, there would be no reason to hide them.
Old 06-26-13, 12:42 PM

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
...and Rich is still banging the drum (or beating the dead horse)...
Short version: There might be a preview of a previously "lost" Troughton episode on the upcoming "Terror of the Zygons" DVD.
He also made the same claim about the Regeneration set that was released in the UK actually having the last part of the Tenth Planet serial instead of the animated reconstruction. And it wasn't.
Old 06-27-13, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by flansered
He also made the same claim about the Regeneration set that was released in the UK actually having the last part of the Tenth Planet serial instead of the animated reconstruction. And it wasn't.
I thought his claim was that it was the forthcoming stand-alone release of "Tenth Planet" having the "newly found" fourth part, and that the BBC were releasing the animated version in the "Regenerations" set since they'd already paid for it (and to keep the recovery of part 4 a secret).

If it wasn't him, I think someone floated that particular conspiracy theory about (and the one about the low-key release of "Air Lock" being proof that the whole of "Galaxy Four" has been returned.

People need to stop giving this guy site traffic so maybe he'll go away some day.
Old 06-27-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Doctor Who fans make it easy for him to continue this story. Over on the Gallifrey Base forum, there are some who are still grasping that the rumor is true based on something printed on the spine of the latest Doctor Who Magazine.

For shits and giggles, DWM usually prints something Doctor Who-related on the spine of the magazine. A quote. A funny question. Something wacky.

This month? A quote from Creature from the Pit - "Oh, you shouldn't be worried. Time Lords have 90 lives."

This, of course, means that Doctor Who Magazine has hinted that 90 missing episodes have returned to the BBC. It makes "sense."

It is there, yes. A bit of a coincidence or just a cheeky reference to the rumours?
Like smeg it's a coincidence. Either someone at DWM is very cruel indeed, or they know something they're not allowed to say yet.
It goes on for a while. Of course, Rich is going to keep the rumor going. It's just too damn easy.
Old 06-28-13, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
I thought his claim was that it was the forthcoming stand-alone release of "Tenth Planet" having the "newly found" fourth part, and that the BBC were releasing the animated version in the "Regenerations" set since they'd already paid for it (and to keep the recovery of part 4 a secret).
From the original story:

There’s even the rumour that the much touted DVD set Regenerations out this month, with its previewed animation clip of the regeneration between the first and second Doctors is a bluff, and they now have the full The Tenth Planet in which the Doctor regenerated for the first time which will be released in this set.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...s-in-november/

I would like for the 90 missing episodes rumor to be true, but I am not getting my hopes up.
Old 06-30-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Quick question : anybody here happen to be a title submitter for DVD Aficionado?
I've noticed they can take a while to add new Who titles and if I should take it upon myself to add them?
Old 07-01-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is the Shalka story? I know it's outside of canon, but it looks interesting.

Also, I've gone ahead and started submitting titles to DVDAf.
Old 07-01-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is the Shalka story? I know it's outside of canon, but it looks interesting.

Also, I've gone ahead and started submitting titles to DVDAf.
Old 07-04-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey milo bloom - Did you figure out DVDAf submissions? They never added the Special Editions of Seeds of Death or Resurrection of the Daleks and I could never figure out how to submit them. I think I did it once a long time ago for a Gamera Box Set from Japan but could never figure it out after that.

I've never watched all of Shalka. I could only make it up to Episode 2 before giving up. I'll give it another shot when it's on DVD.

9/17
The Ice Warriors
Scream of the Shalka

10/8
Terror of the Zygons
The Doctors Revisited: Doctor Five thru Eight
Old 07-05-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I don't suppose they're going to retcon Scream of the Shalka into a "8.5" Doctor story, are they?
Old 07-05-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Hey milo bloom - Did you figure out DVDAf submissions? They never added the Special Editions of Seeds of Death or Resurrection of the Daleks and I could never figure out how to submit them. I think I did it once a long time ago for a Gamera Box Set from Japan but could never figure it out after that.

I've never watched all of Shalka. I could only make it up to Episode 2 before giving up. I'll give it another shot when it's on DVD.

9/17
The Ice Warriors
Scream of the Shalka

10/8
Terror of the Zygons
The Doctors Revisited: Doctor Five thru Eight
Yes, I used to submit years ago, but fell out of it, but I've gotten back into it lately. I put in Ice and Shalka, somebody else did Zygons and Revisited. Those two SE's you mentioned are also in there.

Here's the Gamera boxes from Japan in there, do you see the one you mentioned? I might be able to get it approved with enough sources.

http://www.filmaf.com/search.html?ha..._gamera*rgn_jp
Old 07-05-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I see the one I submitted (Gamera - The Box 1995-1999). I remember it taking me a couple of emails to prove it existed. I had to link to Amazon Japan and CD Japan, if I remember right. I think I gave up on doing more because it was a pain in the ass.

Nice to see those 2 Doctor Who Special Editions were finally added. Which Revisited did you do? I only see the first set.
Old 07-05-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only did Ice and Shalka. I could have sworn that other Revisited set was there. I'll try to put it in tomorrow.
Old 07-06-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other Revisited is in now.

Any other SEs or such that are still missing?
Old 07-08-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think those were the only two SE's that never made it in. Thanks for the Revisited addition!
Old 07-12-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Complete season 7 announced
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Series-7/18683

The usual pricing
As promised, BBC Home Entertainment has announced the upcoming release of Doctor Who - The Complete 7th Series for DVD (5 discs for $79.98 SRP) and also for Blu-ray Disc (4 discs for $89.98 SRP).

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...#ixzz2YqjC3WzV

I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the two half-seasons instead but adding up the two prices plus the two specials it's almost a wash.

I really wish they didn't take advantage of US Who fans like this.
Old 07-12-13, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

are the two films that star Peter Cushing as the doctor in print here in the US? or should I purchase the Region B UK bluray releases?
Old 07-12-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are currently OOP in the US (tho you could probably find them in the secondary market). Mike's Comics has them for $8.98 each.

Anchor Bay released both films separately as well as in a 3-disc box set with a documentary called Dalekmania. That can be found pretty cheap on Amazon.

These films definitely haven't been released on Blu-Ray out here.

EDIT TO ADD: TVShowsonDVD has the 7th Series covers up now. They note that both box sets claim to have 6 discs each. Could be temporary art.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 07-12-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 11:43 AM

David Tennant's blog posted this:

I would want to know if the first four season are upscales before I would even consider purchasing it, especially and the $315 Amazon wants for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dition+giftset
Old 07-17-13, 12:07 PM

S1-S4 were not filmed in HD, so they will be upscaled, just like The Next Doctor on the Tennant Specials Blu-ray set (Planet of the Dead, Disc 2 of the Tennant Specials set, was the first "filmed in HD" episode of DW).

However, I'd assume these are being upscaled from PAL masters, which have 576 lines of resolution, so upscaled S1-S4 on Blu-ray (in 1080p, according to the BBC Home Entertainment blurb) should look somewhat better than the NTSC DVDs, which have only 480 lines of resolution.
Old 07-17-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I already have seasons 1-4 in PAL, could a studio-upscale look better than having my Blu-ray player upscale it?
Old 07-17-13, 12:40 PM

I'm sure that it will look better, but I don't know if it will a large enough leap in quality to justify the price that the BBC will charge for the discs.
Old 07-17-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No thanks. Already dropped too much on the DVDs.
Old 07-17-13, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by diditagain
However, I'd assume these are being upscaled from PAL masters, which have 576 lines of resolution, so upscaled S1-S4 on Blu-ray (in 1080p, according to the BBC Home Entertainment blurb) should look somewhat better than the NTSC DVDs, which have only 480 lines of resolution.

I think it's pretty safe to say these will be 1080i, not 1080p, and that for the US market at least, they'll still likely be "standards conversions" (PAL to UK 1080i/50 to US 1080i/60). Given that 1080i/50 is better picture quality for UK fans, one would hope that they do the UK master in 50i rather than taking the cheap way out with 60i for everyone, as that would give the UK an unnecessary conversion (this is what happened with the UK release of "The Specials". Thankfully, the BBC did 50i versions from then on--so far--beginning with Series 5).

Originally Posted by joltman
I already have seasons 1-4 in PAL, could a studio-upscale look better than having my Blu-ray player upscale it?
Probably depends on your Blu-ray player, because all scalers are not created equal. If you have an Oppo? I'd say the picture quality won't be that much different (if better at all).

If your Blu-ray player is a $49.00 discount store special? Perhaps.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.