Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

I know it's the Blu-ray and not the DVD set, but could somebody explain that pull/status warning on Amazon's page?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I'm asking here because this is really the authoritative media thread for DW here.
Old 03-18-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Apparently, a lot of Doctor Who fans on the Gallifrey Base boards were saying they received crushed boxes thanks to how Amazon was shipping the sets out. Some got regular Amazon boxes while others got envelopes
Old 03-19-10, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird.

I usually get everything from Amazon, but that one I picked up from Best Buy with a coupon & gift cards. I guess I lucked out!
Old 03-21-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Hopefully not too off topic) Netflix has a bunch of Dr. Who in their Watch Instantly area. But their site's search functionality leaves a lot to be desired so it's hard to wade through it all.

I found a site called Instantwatcher.com that helps a little bit with the listings: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/index/1?q=doctor+who But it's still kind of overwhelming. Don't know what titles continue story arcs or logically follow each other. Or if major parts may not be available for instant viewing yet. I'd hate to start watching an era and find certain key storylines are missing on Watch Instantly for that doctor.

So if I wanted some great classic Who where's a good place to start from what they offer?
Old 03-25-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BBC Worldwide is releasing a whole lot of Doctor Who on July 6th! Looks like they're breaking up the Region 2 Myths & Legends box set and releasing the contents as 3 separate releases PLUS the 3 Disc Space Museum/Chase set.

The First Doctor (William Hartnell)
The Space Museum/The Chase (1965)

3 Discs. Please Note: The US version will edit the Beatles clip out of The Chase: Episode 1.

The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
The Time Monster (1972)

1 Disc

The Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
Underworld (1978)

1 Disc

The Horns of Nimon (1979/80)

1 Disc

I am way behind with my Who collecting. I'm going to have to get on the ball this summer.
Old 03-25-10, 11:17 AM

^^^^^
The interesting thing is, except for Space Museum/Chase, none of these are showing up yet on the Restoration Team's website! Its funny, because you'd think the team working on the restorations would be the first ones to have info about what is coming out next. Guess they are behind in updating their website.

It also has me wondering who makes the decisions on which stories to release next. Although the Leela run is still my all-time favorite in the show's history, 'Underworld' is the one subpar (to put it mildly) story in that otherwise fantastic run. Why they chose to release 'Underworld' before much better stories like 'Face of Evil' or 'Sunmakers' is beyond me.
Old 04-09-10, 12:12 PM

In the UK, "The Time Monster", "Underworld" and "The Horns of Nimon" were released in a box set called Myths and Legends, because the three are related thematically. BBCWW isn't bothering with the set and is just releasing them individually.
Old 04-10-10, 12:53 AM

Hey I just wanted to say that I finally used this thread to make a Doctor Who purchase (yeah...like four months after the fact or w/e...)

Ended up going with The Beginnings set. Love it. Thanks again for the thread man.
Old 04-10-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

So we picked up The Robots of Death a little bit ago, and we've noticed there's no subtitles, which I really need to understand a lot of things on shows like this. I understand this was one of the earliest releases, and was wondering if it had ever been re-issued or anything like that with subtitles?
Old 04-10-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It hasn't been re-released. There's rumors that they're going to release a box set of "re-visited" titles later in the year that'll upgrade earlier titles to Special Edition status. Maybe then?
Old 04-10-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moonraker
^^^^^
The interesting thing is, except for Space Museum/Chase, none of these are showing up yet on the Restoration Team's website! Its funny, because you'd think the team working on the restorations would be the first ones to have info about what is coming out next. Guess they are behind in updating their website.

Apparently, they decided to stop doing the restoration articles.
Old 04-16-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Is anybody familiar with the audio adventures? I see there are a lot from Doctor 8, but I can't tell what the correct order to start with would be. The monthly adventures, or Big Finish?
Old 04-16-10, 06:35 PM

Question for those of you familiar with the serial- is "Underworld" as bad an installment as it's rumored to be?
Old 04-16-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my opinion, "Underworld" is one of the worst Doctor Who stories ever. Equally as bad as "Fear Her."
Old 04-16-10, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
Question for those of you familiar with the serial- is "Underworld" as bad an installment as it's rumored to be?
The Leela (companion of the 4th Doctor) run remains my all-time favorite run of the show..... the writing, direction, and acting were just so good throughout this run.... and stories like "Horror of Fang Rock", "Robots of Death", and "Talons of Weng Chiang" are among the best episodes ever IMO. Even some of the lesser popular episodes (from what I gather) are among my personal favorites (Invisible Enemy, Sunmakers, Invasion of Time).

So, as a huge fan of this run.... I will say yes, Underworld is a very weak episode. The first part (its a traditional 4-part episode) starts out well enough.... I like the pacifier gun and I like the ever-growing denser predicament that The Doctor and Leela are caught in.... but things rapidly devolve from there and the remaining 3 parts are tough to sit through. Endless wandering around tunnels (reminiscent of the Pertwee era, IMO) become boring and repetitive, and the story just doesn't seem like its going anywhere. For me, Underworld is similar to Power of Kroll (the weakest episode from the Key to Time run)... a very disappointing episode in an other-wise very good run.
Old 04-16-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
In my opinion, "Underworld" is one of the worst Doctor Who stories ever. Equally as bad as "Fear Her."
Never got the hate for "Fear Her" (or the love for "Girl in the Fireplace" for that matter). I guess having a kid makes the idea of the kids being snatched (esp. by another kid) hit a little closer to home.
Old 04-17-10, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Never got the hate for "Fear Her" (or the love for "Girl in the Fireplace" for that matter). I guess having a kid makes the idea of the kids being snatched (esp. by another kid) hit a little closer to home.
Wow. Girl in the Fireplace is my favorite story in the entire David Tennant era.
Old 04-17-10, 08:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh, I loved Girl in the Fireplace. Excellent story line. But then, I pretty much loved all of David Tennant's episodes. I'm gonna miss him. But...looking forward to seeing how Matt Smith does as the new Doctor.
Old 04-17-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Having a kid has nothing to do with it. "Fear Her" is an outright terrible story IMO. It might have worked as a 10 minute bit but to drag it out to 45 minutes was ridiculous. The only good thing to come out of "Fear Her" was the cute online game that the Doctor Who website brought out the day it aired.

"Girl in the Fireplace" starts off strong but gets messy toward the end. The emotion is in the right place but the story-telling was off. It's still light years away from "Fear Her."

Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-17-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Is anybody familiar with the audio adventures? I see there are a lot from Doctor 8, but I can't tell what the correct order to start with would be. The monthly adventures, or Big Finish?
Big Finish handles all the 8th Doctor audio adventures. The first "Series" were a part of their monthly Doctor Who audio range. Unlike the rest of the Past Doctor stories, they were run one after another as an Audio Season once a year.

Big Finish Series:

#16. Storm Warning
#17. Sword of Orion
#18. The Stones of Venice
#19. Minuet in Hell

#28. Invaders from Mars
#29. The Chimes of Midnight
#30. Seasons of Fear
#31. Embrace the Darkness
#32. The Time of the Daleks
#33. Neverland

#50. Zagreus

#52. Scherzo
#53. The Creed of the Kromon
#54. The Natural History of Fear
#55. The Twilight Kingdom

#61. Faith Stealer
#62. The Last
#63. Caerdroia
#64. The Next Life

Once the New Series started airing, the 8th Doctor fell into the regular Past Doctors rotation (every other month or so). As the New Series gained popularity, Big Finish started producing a new series of 8th Doctor adventures for BBC Radio (and later released in CD/mp3 format via Big Finish).

BBC Series:

1.1. Blood of the Daleks Part 1
1.2. Blood of the Daleks Part 2
1.3. Horror of Glam Rock
1.4. Immortal Beloved
1.5. Phobos
1.6. No More Lies
1.7. Human Resources Part 1
1.8. Human Resources Part 2

2.1. Dead London
2.2. Max Warp
2.3. Brave New Town
2.4. The Skull of Sobek
2.5. Grand Theft Cosmos
2.6. The Zygon Who Fell to Earth
2.7. Sisters of the Flame
2.8. Vengeance of Morbius

3.1. Orbis
3.2. Hothouse
3.3. The Beast of Orlok
3.4. Wirrn Dawn
3.5. The Scapegoat
3.6. The Cannibalists
3.7. The Eight Truths
3.8. Worldwide Web

4.01. Death in Blackpool
4.02. Situation Vacant
4.03. Nevermore
4.04. The Book of Kells
4.05. Deimos part 1
4.06. Deimos part 2

Each series takes place at some point in the 8th Doctor's lifetime. I use to think the Monthly Series took place soon after the Fox TV Movie. But the Big Finish website makes it sound like that the BBC Radio Series takes place in-between the TV Movie and the Monthly Series. I dunno. I use to collect the Monthly Series but it got way too expensive.

Hope all that helps you.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-17-10 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Gallifrey Base:

Region 2 DVD schedule:

2 entertain have confirmed the release date for the next three UK DVD releases:

The Dominators - 12th July
Revenge of the Cybermen/Silver Nemesis - 9th August
Time and the Rani - 13th September
Old 04-28-10, 11:33 AM

Revenge of the Cybermen?? They should have just packaged this one together with Underworld to make a "Worst Episodes" collection boxset..... C'mon, give us Face of Evil and Sunmakers for cryin' out loud so I can complete my Leela run!

P.S.: Thanks for keeping us informed, Valeyard... your postings are much appreciated
Old 04-28-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moonraker
P.S.: Thanks for keeping us informed, Valeyard... your postings are much appreciated
My pleasure.
Old 05-26-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in....

COMING SEPTEMBER 7, 2010

The Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
The Creature From The Pit (1979)

The Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison)
The King's Demons (1983)

Planet of Fire (1984)
Old 05-26-10, 11:12 PM

^^^^ shaking my head.... again..... Creature From The Pit? Really??? Who is in charge of making these release decisions? It has a few good moments, but on the whole this is a pretty weak story with a really poor and ridiculous ending.... If they wanted to release a story from this season, I would love to have seen Nightmare of Eden come out instead.... yeah, I know that Eden has a lot of detractors but I think its an overall really good & entertaining story.... leagues better than Pit..... oh well....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.