Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

The wife and I only recently started enjoying classic who stories (we started with Eccleston/Tennant), but when we did dip into classic Who, Sarah Jane certainly stood out.

RIP
Old 04-20-11, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad, sad news. Her cancer was kept hush-hush, her colleagues had no idea; typical stoic Brit, I guess. As has been noted, the Doctor keeps regenerating, but there can be only one Sarah Jane. As much as I will miss the Sarah Jane Adventures (a fine kids' view of the Dr. Who universe, as much fun in its way as the grown-up show), there should be no thought of carrying on without Elisabeth Sladen. She really was irreplaceable.
Old 04-20-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sad news. I can't believe she was 63 and ill; she looked great for age and didn't look the least bit unhealthy. I haven't seen too many Sarah Jane serials just yet, but of the ones I have seen she made a lasting impression and I loved her appearances with the Tenth Doctor.
Old 04-20-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Just saw the news... rip
Old 04-20-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

R.i.p.
Old 04-21-11, 05:07 AM
RDR
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
Sad, sad news. Her cancer was kept hush-hush, her colleagues had no idea; typical stoic Brit, I guess. As has been noted, the Doctor keeps regenerating, but there can be only one Sarah Jane. As much as I will miss the Sarah Jane Adventures (a fine kids' view of the Dr. Who universe, as much fun in its way as the grown-up show), there should be no thought of carrying on without Elisabeth Sladen. She really was irreplaceable.
When I heard the news it felt like someone hit me with a bag of bricks. Gonna miss Sarah Jane and more importantly the lovely lady that played her...rest in piece Elisabeth .

They most likely will give the show closure. The writers and producers all have pretty much been saying the same thing, there may be 11 Doctors but there's only 1 Sarah Jane. It's being reported that most of the shooting for next season is finished so maybe we'll get a goodbye shades of Brandon's in the Crow.
Old 04-21-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t-TWW0N8Fg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xuyeesj-1OA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-21-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Some DVD/Blu-Ray updates:

From TV Shows on DVD:

Now BBC Video, in conjunction with North American distributor Warner Home Video, has formally announced Doctor Who - The 6th Series, Part 1 on DVD and BD, scheduled to street on July 19th (that's a bit earlier than we expected, but the same announcement confirms to plan on getting the second half of the season in November, which is what we previously expected). Look for the following 7 episodes (note that these are the finalized story titles for these installments, which may be different than mentioned in previous reports): "The Impossible Astronaut," "Day of the Moon," "The Curse of the Black Spot," "The Doctor’s Wife," "The Rebel Flesh," "The Almost People" and "A Good Man Goes to War".

The DVD-format release of Doctor Who - The 6th Series, Part 1 will cost $24.98 SRP, with anamorphic widescreen video and English Dolby Surround 5.1 audio, and English subtitles. The Blu-ray Disc version will cost $29.98 SRP, and includes high-def widescreen video and English DTS 5.1 sound (probably Master Audio format, but if so that tidbit was left off the provided info). English subtitles will be present on this version, too. Both run 315 minutes, and include a featurette called "Monster Files"; the studio describes it this way: "Get under the skin and inside the minds of the new Doctor's most challenging opponents - included in this release: The Silence and Gangers"

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...#ixzz1LOZZrpf2
From Gallifrey Base:

DVD Schedule Update
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - Posted by Marcus
Doctor Who Magazine has issued a provisional schedule for the remaining stories to be released in the classic Doctor Who DVD range.

There are 24 stories that still exist and have yet to be released on DVD, all of which are expected to be available by the show's 50th anniversary in 2013.

June - The Gunfighters
June - The Awakening
July - Paradise Towers
August - The Sun Makers
September - Day of the Daleks

The Sensorites
Planet of the Giants
The Reign of Terror (4/6 episodes still exist)
The Krotons
Death to the Daleks
Terror of the Zygons
The Android Invasion
The Face of Evil
Nightmare of Eden
Dragonfire
The Happiness Patrol
The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Unplaced
The Tenth Planet (3/4 episodes exist)
The Ice Warriors (4/6 episodes exist)
The Ambassadors of Death (requires extensive restoration)
The Mind of Evil (currently exists in black and white only)
Colony in Space
The Daemons
Invasion of the Dinosaurs (part one exists in black and white only)
Old 05-04-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might bite on these smaller half-seasons. There's not many extras, but what about those little extra "mini-sodes" they've been filming?
Old 05-04-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully, they'll be on the Complete Series 6 when it's released at the end of the year but we'll see. They never released the mini-episodes they shot for Series 2.
Old 05-04-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

I have almost all of the 24 that haven't been released on dvd yet on Vhs and I think the Ambassadors Of Death looks pretty good. I don't think it needs Extensive Restoration maybe just a remaster.
Old 05-05-11, 07:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

It frustrates me that they don't seem to want to (or have money to) do what they did with The Invasion for the missing episodes when they have a partial series to work with. I thought it was brilliantly done!
Old 05-05-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a money issue. The Invasion was funded through another part of the BBC for the series anniversary on the web. The end project was eventually handed over for it's DVD release. The budget to create animation for missing episodes is way above what the Restoration Team is given to create a DVD release.

There's a stir right now with some secret project Ian Levine is working on on his own that includes some animation featuring previous Doctors. What that is is currently unknown.
Old 05-05-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the somewhat high MSRP on Who DVDs was what helped to fund the restoration of the damaged eps?

I wonder if there's any way to let animators donate their time to finishing eps like that?
Old 05-05-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's always animators willing to donate their time and have repeatedly said so on the Gally Boards but the BBC has yet to take up their offer.
Old 05-24-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found this site for north american DVD releases. It seems pretty complete as to bonus fetures, dates, rumours, etc. I just wanted to share that with you all:

http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/Latest.html
Old 05-24-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I quote from Steve all the time. He has contacts at BBC America and usually has DVD information WAY before anyone else. It's a great site for every little detail.

Also - Coming September 13:

Last edited by The Valeyard; 05-24-11 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TVShowsOnDVD
The folks at the Twitter account for Classic Doctor Who (@classicdw) have been busy tweeting yesterday and today, breaking the news that a DVD release of Doctor Who - Story #008: The Reign of Terror, which is in the works for next year, will have "missing eps to be animated for DVD". Fans of the original program that collect the DVD releases will recall that this was previously done with a 2007 title, Doctor Who - Story #046 The Invasion. That one was with the 2nd Doctor, Patrick Troughton, but Reign of Terror - the story about the TARDIS materializing during the darkest period in French history - features the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) and companions "Susan" (Carole), "Barbara" (Jacqueline Hill) and "Ian" (William Russell).

The 6-episode story arc was originally broadcast in 1964, and the tapes containing this entire production was wiped/junked on BBC order in the '70s. Overseas copies of episodes 1, 2, 3, and 6 were later located and have been remastered, restored, but episodes 4 ("The Tyrant of France") and 5 ("A Bargain of Necessity") remain unfound. So according to one tweet yesterday, the BBC and 2|entertain has commissioned Theta-Sigma/Thetamation and Big Finish Studios to take the existing audio (lovingly saved from the broadcasts on tape recorders by fansall these years!) and restore/remaster it, and marry it up to new animation that will re-create the scenes of the live-action broadcast. They also have said that Mark Ayres, of the Doctor Who Restoration Team, will be involved.

By now are you wondering what the results will look like? @ClassicDW tweeted a character study image (shown below) that gives us an idea of how this will look. A good start, in my opinion. Our thanks to reader Jessie Loflin for the heads-up about this info. It's not going to be ready until 2012, so there's a long wait before we get to enjoy this. But stay tuned, and we'll keep you updated as further developments occur!

SOURCE

Old 06-03-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kewl but creepy-looking! Can't wait!
Old 06-03-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, very cool!
Old 06-03-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad they're doing this for another serial. I can't imagine it is cheap to produce these things, and it's nice to see them show a commitment to bringing us as much Classic Who as possible. I doubt they'll ever do this for the serials where more than half of the episodes have been lost or destroyed, but hopefully they'll do it at some point for The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors too.
Old 06-03-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome news.

Was wondering though if audio exists for all the lost eps? Is it possible we could eventually have all of Who available?
Old 06-03-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Awesome news.

Was wondering though if audio exists for all the lost eps? Is it possible we could eventually have all of Who available?
As far as I know, audio exists for every lost episode of Doctor Who; you can get most, if not all, of the lost serials on CD. I guess that could mean eventually they'd do animation reconstructions of entire serials, but I just don't see that happening. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
Old 06-03-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm glad they're doing this for another serial. I can't imagine it is cheap to produce these things, and it's nice to see them show a commitment to bringing us as much Classic Who as possible. I doubt they'll ever do this for the serials where more than half of the episodes have been lost or destroyed, but hopefully they'll do it at some point for The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors too.
I am grateful that they're doing this, but I really wish they would give priority to the more important/science fiction/mythological kind of stories over the historicals.

I'm thinking of this like Daleks' Masterplan, Tenth Planet, Power of the Daleks, etc.
Old 06-03-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm thinking of this like Daleks' Masterplan, Tenth Planet, Power of the Daleks, etc.
Problem with 2 of these is that they'd have to animate 9 of the 12 episodes for Dalek's Master Plan and all 6 episodes of Power of the Daleks. It's just easier to do the shorter ones. I can see Tenth Planet happening because they'd only need 1 episode animated.

For the Audio Only releases on CD, there's 2 volumes so far:

Doctor Who: The Lost TV Episodes: Collection 1: 1964-1965
Doctor Who: The Lost TV Episodes: Collection 2: 1965-1966

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.