Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 02-28-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

There's a thread in the Blu-Ray Forum for Spearhead.
Ha. That would explain that. Thanks.
Old 02-28-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,402 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
There's a thread in the Blu-Ray Forum for Spearhead.

I believe someone on the Restoration Team said they will not be re-releasing the original series on Blu-Ray. The only two stories that can be upgraded to HD (due to them being shot on film) are Spearhead From Space and the TV Movie. However, they're not going to do the TV Movie because it was edited on video tape.
I never understood why the Bluray format wasn't designed to handle the 525 lines of PAL videotape. Seems they missed an opportunity to give even slightly upgraded presentations of a lot of material.
Old 02-28-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's official - The Ice Warriors gets animated:

The Ice Warriors: missing episodes animated

BBC Worldwide have finally confirmed that August's DVD release of Second Doctor adventure The Ice Warriors will indeed include animated versions of the missing episodes two and three, as well as the previously announced 'telesnap' version of the episodes that originally appeared on the 1998 VHS release.

Unlike January's The Reign in Terror, animation for these episodes has been created by Qurios, an award-winning animation and visual effects production studio based in London and Newcastle, and who have previously worked on the range providing titles for the Who Peter features.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HICrwM89caY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gallifrey Base
Old 02-28-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Ice Warriors gets animated:
Yeah, I just read that on the DW News site. AWESOME!
Old 02-28-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's that make? Four stories?

Hell, maybe they're going to go the distance afterall...

Also, just out of curiosity, but does anyone have handy links to the first seven Who threads?
Old 02-28-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh. Most of the original Who Threads are gone. Before I knew what I was doing, I use to delete the Threads when I'd create a new one. Yeah, I suck. Sorry. I really didn't know what I was doing back then and would create a new Thread whenever it would hit 250 Posts. I stopped doing that with Version 6.

Version 6 still exists (February 2004 to September 2004). I don't know where Thread 7 disappeared to. I'm pretty sure I never deleted it but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. This current Thread starts in August 2005. This is the one I really started taking seriously.

Also, yes. That's 4 stories so far.

The Invasion
Reign of Terror
The Tenth Planet
The Ice Warriors
Old 02-28-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me get this straight - you used to delete old Doctor Who threads because you didn't think you needed them anymore?

If that ain't irony then my name isn't Alanis Morissette
Old 02-28-13, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Heh. Most of the original Who Threads are gone. Before I knew what I was doing, I use to delete the Threads when I'd create a new one. Yeah, I suck. Sorry. I really didn't know what I was doing back then and would create a new Thread whenever it would hit 250 Posts. I stopped doing that with Version 6.
You had better get started on animating them!
Old 02-28-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-28-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
What's that make? Four stories?

Hell, maybe they're going to go the distance afterall...
We can hope; though so far they've only animated seven missing episodes. There are still 99 left...

FIRST DOCTOR

004-1 Marco Polo (7/7 episodes missing)

014-2 The Crusade (2/4 episodes missing)

018-3 Galaxy 4 (3/4 episodes missing)
019-3 Mission to Unkonwn (1/1 episode missing)
020-3 The Myth Makers (4/4 episodes missing)
021-3 The Daleks' Master Plan (9/12 episodes missing)
022-3 The Massacre of St Bart (4/4 episodes missing)
024-3 The Celestial Toymaker (3/4 episodes missing)
026-3 The Savages (4/4 episodes missing)

028-4 The Smugglers (4/4 episodes missing)

SECOND DOCTOR

030-4 The Power of the Daleks (6/6 episodes missing)
031-4 The Highlanders (4/4 episodes missing)
032-4 The Underwater Menace (2/4 episodes missing)
033-4 The Moonbase (2/4 episodes missing)
034-4 The Macra Terror (4/4 episodes missing)
035-4 The Faceless Ones (4/6 episodes missing)
036-4 The Evil of the Daleks (6/7 episodes missing)

038-5 The Abominable Snowmen (5/6 episodes missing)
040-5 The Enemy of the World (5/6 episodes missing)
041-5 The Web of Fear (5/6 episodes missing)
042-5 Fury from the Deep (6/6 episodes missing)
043-5 The Wheel in Space (4/6 episodes missing)

049-6 The Space Pirates (5/6 episodes missing)

ANIMATED RESTORATIONS

008-1 The Reign of Terror (2/6 episodes restored)
029-4 The Tenth Planet (1/4 episodes restored)
039-5 The Ice Warriors (2/6 episodes restored)
046-6 The Invasion (2/8 episodes restored)

Seasons 3, 4, and 5 got the worst of it. Seasons 1, 2, and 6 are mostly complete. Going by the pattern, I'd wager that the next episodes to get the animated restoration would be either The Crusade, The Underwater Menace, or The Moonbase since they're only missing two episodes.
Old 03-01-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going by the pattern, I'd wager that the next episodes to get the animated restoration would be either The Crusade, The Underwater Menace, or The Moonbase since they're only missing two episodes.
I think I read somewhere that they won't do the serials where half or more episodes are missing. So after 10th Planet that probably will be it...!?
Old 03-01-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I think I read somewhere that they won't do the serials where half or more episodes are missing. So after 10th Planet that probably will be it...!?
I know it's a helluva project, but it would be really nice to have every single story in viewable form, especially since they have the original audio.

You know, there's so many amateur filmmakers out there making so many neat shows on the internet, I wonder if they could crowdsource some of these, with guidelines on style and such, but pretty much letting the fans do some of the work?
Old 03-01-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Hard to tell.

I sort of remember, after they did "The Invasion," that there probably wouldn't be any more of these restorations, but now they've done three in fairly short order.
Old 03-01-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I know it's a helluva project, but it would be really nice to have every single story in viewable form, especially since they have the original audio.

You know, there's so many amateur filmmakers out there making so many neat shows on the internet, I wonder if they could crowdsource some of these, with guidelines on style and such, but pretty much letting the fans do some of the work?
Yeah, that's sort of an interesting idea... Kickstarter seems really big right now for getting projects like this done.

Another thought I have is that they could maybe do motion comics. IDW currently has the license for Doctor Who comic books. They could do comic book adaptions of some of the missing stories (like Power of the Daleks, Macra Terror, etc.) and then these could be converted into motion comics using the existing soundtracks. Not sure what the economics of this would look like, but the comic books would subsidize most of the artwork that would be needed.

And also, the idea of having amateur animators do these isn't too bad, but the distribution becomes problematic. Do they just post them to Youtube? Or distribute .iso files so we can burn our own DVDs? Or does BBC/2 Entertain or whoever release them? Seems kind of dickish for fans to donate their time and energy to make these, only to have the BBC turn around and sell them.

Speaking of which, something similar happened with Ian Levine's restoration of Shada. It was well-received by those who saw it, but 2 Entertain refused to release it.

Also looks like Levine is working on "The Dalek's Masterplan" as well. Though it's hard to tell what will come of it. The artwork samples look nice, though.
Old 03-01-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of Levine's stuff is pretty good. Other stuff is horrendous. He posted a clip reel of all the animations he did and the Daleks Masterplan & Shada looked good but the other stuff was down right terrible. Like really, really bad Terry Gilliam animation. He took it down after some people started critiquing it and cut himself off from the Who fanbase (again). I think Shada would have worked out fine if given some extra cash to polish it up (and Tom Baker adding in his voice).
Old 03-01-13, 02:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
We can hope; though so far they've only animated seven missing episodes. There are still 99 left...
Great list, thanks.

It's very exciting that they have done any of them! I really enjoy watching "new" classic 'Who episodes, animated or not.

Also, since I haven't watched it yet, didn't they also do animation for Planet of Giants?
Old 03-01-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
Also, since I haven't watched it yet, didn't they also do animation for Planet of Giants?
Not so much animation but a reconstruction of Episodes 3 & 4. Originally, Planet of Giants was 4 episodes but they cut it down to 3. For the DVD, they included the original aired episodes as well as the "original" versions of Episodes 3 & 4 based on the scripts.
Old 03-07-13, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update on the Cushing DVDs I got from Mike's Comics for 8.99 which I had mentioned way back: They are the Anchor Bay original releases from 2001 complete with inserts and bonus features. Awesome price considering they go for around 40$ used on the market. Nice family films too if you're into color Daleks!
Old 03-21-13, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Series 7 Part 2 comes out May 28th. 3-disc DVD & Blu-Ray.

Read about it at TVShows on DVD.
Old 03-22-13, 08:42 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

The dvds Doctor Who and the Silurians and The Sea Devils are $9.99 at Best Buy right now. But the Beneath the Surface set might still be a better deal.
Old 03-22-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
The dvds Doctor Who and the Silurians and The Sea Devils are $9.99 at Best Buy right now. But the Beneath the Surface set might still be a better deal.
I saw that too but I had found a a used copy of that box some time back.
Old 03-22-13, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bootleg?

Hi All,

I hope this is the right thread to ask about a bootleg DVD.

I bought a new "The Beginning" set on eBay. All the packaging material looks good, the discs look great, all markings appear to be as they should, there are very very slight color differences across the labels of the 3 discs, but very minor. The discs shows as 8 GB, have what appear to be correct markings on the inner ring, etc.

The problem: Disc two ("The Daleks") and disc 3 ("The Edge of Destruction") have their content reversed!

So is this a simple manufacturing error?

If fake, wow, I would call it indistinguishable, mind you I am far from an expert in DVD's.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you're saying the content of Disc 2 is Edge of Destruction and Disc 3 is The Daleks instead of vice versa?

I just checked mine. The Daleks is on Disc 2 and The Edge of Destruction is on Disc 3. It might be a manufacturing defect. It happens. My Woody Woodpecker Collection (Vol. 1) has all 3 discs in different orders. The content to Disc 1 is actually Disc 2. Disc 3 is Disc 1 and Disc 2 is Disc 3. It's not unheard of.
Old 03-23-13, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's sort of a strange error.

I would think that jgpa would have received either a properly labeled "Daleks" DVD and a mislabeled "Eve of Destruction" (with "Daleks" on it) or mislabeled "Daleks" (with "Edge of Destruction" on it) and a properly labeled "Edge of Destruction" instead of two mislabeled discs.
Old 03-23-13, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're saying the content of Disc 2 is Edge of Destruction and Disc 3 is The Daleks instead of vice versa?
That is correct, The disc labeled as The Daleks has The Edge of Destruction content and vice versa.

I understand this can happen but in today's bootlegging environment I think any irregularity should cause suspicion.

Many years ago a friend bought a new Ted Nugent album and the back side had Heart Dog & Butterfly pressed on it!

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.