Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One and only Star Wars Ep. III thread [merger of a couple of different threads]

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinlunlau
argh....i've tried the 1138 password on the DVD of Episode 2 and i'm trying it for Episode 3 and i still can't get it to work. how in the heck do you type 1138 on the OPTIONS screen of disc 1?
You will need to have the +10 key on your DVD remote. Pressing +10, 1, 3 then 8 should unlock the eggs on most players. If you do not have the +10 key you can still access each egg by using your DVD players program feature to skip directly to the titles. Program your player to play the following titles to unlock each egg:

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Yoda Dance - Title 3 Chapter 1

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Blooper Reel II - Title 3 Chapter 1

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Blooper Reel I - Title 3 Chapter 1

Star Wars: Clone Wars
Alternate Credits - Title 16 Chapter 1

Star Wars Trilogy Bonus Disc
Trilogy Bloopers - Title 38 Chapter 1
Old 11-06-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Yesterday was Star Wars Ep III day. I watched the movie and then went through all the extras (even Yoda rap) except for the commentary.

As others have mentioned, too bad there's no blooper reel even though they do show some bloopers in the docs. Good stuff, otherwise.

Oh, put me in the camp that didn't have a problem with LFE track.
Old 11-06-05, 09:32 PM

when i saw C3P0 made his fall, i said "ouch"
Old 11-07-05, 10:56 AM

I just saw a thread at a scifi board where they're claiming the ROTS DVD has been edited from the theatrical version. Now, at first, since there's no proof or evidence, I'm chalking this up to bad memory. But does anyone know if there is anything to this? Some are claiming it's a Walmart thing, that somehow they're selling "censored" versions without telling the consumer. Again, I think it may be BS.
Old 11-07-05, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I just saw a thread at a scifi board where they're claiming the ROTS DVD has been edited from the theatrical version. Now, at first, since there's no proof or evidence, I'm chalking this up to bad memory. But does anyone know if there is anything to this? Some are claiming it's a Walmart thing, that somehow they're selling "censored" versions without telling the consumer. Again, I think it may be BS.
I have the Wal Mart version and saw no changes.
Old 11-07-05, 11:05 AM

Only thing that I've heard of is that a 'wipe' cut has been changed to a 'hard' cut for the DVD. This is apparently in a scene on Mustafar, when cutting from Obi-Wan aboard Padme's ship and crispy Vader clawing his way up the side of the embankment.
Old 11-07-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw a thread at a scifi board where they're claiming the ROTS DVD has been edited from the theatrical version.
Can you provide a link to this thread so we can read the specifics?

I'm thinking this is definitely B.S. -- I saw this 3 times in the theater and a few others via *ehem* alternate means... and I thought the DVD (which I bought at Wal-Mart) was identical.
Old 11-07-05, 12:12 PM

It could be just me, but I finally watched mine last night and thinking to myself Anakins burn at the end (the close up) was shorten. The reason I say this is I seem to remember them showing his head burn and scar matching what it looks like in Jedi. If no changes were made it will be the first SW on dvd with NO changes from the original.
Old 11-07-05, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Can you provide a link to this thread so we can read the specifics?

I'm thinking this is definitely B.S. -- I saw this 3 times in the theater and a few others via *ehem* alternate means... and I thought the DVD (which I bought at Wal-Mart) was identical.
Certainly. It's at Trek Today Here ya go: http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showf...=5&o=7&fpart=1
Old 11-07-05, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Toben
Only thing that I've heard of is that a 'wipe' cut has been changed to a 'hard' cut for the DVD. This is apparently in a scene on Mustafar, when cutting from Obi-Wan aboard Padme's ship and crispy Vader clawing his way up the side of the embankment.
What would the difference be between a "wipe" cut and a "hard" cut?
Old 11-07-05, 12:30 PM

What would the difference be between a "wipe" cut and a "hard" cut?
I think it's that a wipe cut has the second of the two scenes 'wipe' over the first scene (from left to right, right to left, or whatever), and a hard cut just switches from scene 1 to scene 2.
Old 11-07-05, 01:41 PM

I ran into a strange sound issue on my first viewing last night.

I have a 6.1 setup.

When the movie began, the receiver indicated a Dolby Digital EX mix and the "Surround Back" was displayed. Somewhere early on in the film, the audio dropped out and I was left with a plain old Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. I tried to run through the different soundtracks, stopped and started the movie from the beginning, powered down my receiver, did my receiver's sound test (the back surround was audible), and nothing worked to regain the EX mix. I was stuck with regular 5.1 for the rest of the movie. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-07-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That wipe/cut change might be true, I'd have to check... that isn't something I would necessarily notice.

But all of the talk on that site about the transformation scene being "shortened quite a bit" (and the conspiracy theories about Wal-mart getting edited DVDs) is just insane. People are misremembering the theatrical scene and are really looking for reasons to complain about WM. (Seriously, like a million-selling title like this getting an 'edited' release wouldn't be major news by now.)

That scene is just as it was theatrically.

EDIT: I just double-checked with my 'alternate' DVD -- sure enough, there's a wipe between those shots where it's just normal cut on the DVD. Ultimately, I suppose I prefer the way it is presented on the DVD... but it's so trivial that I don't really care one way or the other. Interesting, though. I knew Lucas wouldn't be able to avoid making at least *one* change.

And the Vader suit sequence is identical in both versions. Wal-Mart may be evil, but they ain't editing DVDs... yet.

Last edited by bboisvert; 11-07-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-09-05, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua B
I ran into a strange sound issue on my first viewing last night.

I have a 6.1 setup.

When the movie began, the receiver indicated a Dolby Digital EX mix and the "Surround Back" was displayed. Somewhere early on in the film, the audio dropped out and I was left with a plain old Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. I tried to run through the different soundtracks, stopped and started the movie from the beginning, powered down my receiver, did my receiver's sound test (the back surround was audible), and nothing worked to regain the EX mix. I was stuck with regular 5.1 for the rest of the movie. Has anyone else experienced this?
I checked this out again last night and I see that the THX intro is recognized by my receiver as Dolby Digital EX but as soon as the movie starts, it switches to 5.1 and the "Surround Back Decoding" lamp turns off. Any thoughts at all about this?
Old 11-09-05, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joshua B
I checked this out again last night and I see that the THX intro is recognized by my receiver as Dolby Digital EX but as soon as the movie starts, it switches to 5.1 and the "Surround Back Decoding" lamp turns off. Any thoughts at all about this?
i read off a chinese forum that the same thing happens on the Hong Kong Region 3 release.
Old 11-09-05, 12:42 PM

Thank you tinlunlau. Is this happening to anyone on this forum that owns the DVD? Is this normal? Is my DVD defective?

Edit:
Oh well, I just found this in Michael Osadciw's review.

The box is credited to having a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtrack, although my audio processor did not recognize the EX flag and thus sent no audio to my center rear channel. When this doesn’t happen, I never force the audio is 6.1 mode because I feel the audio collapses too much to the center when matrix-decoded. It also limits the separation and dynamic range of left-right rear. The audio in 5.1 was awesome anyhow.
Source

Last edited by Joshua B; 11-09-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-09-05, 01:05 PM

Same here. I get the Ex during the THX intro, then plain old 5.1 for the movie.
Old 11-10-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What does this mean?

The discs' volume labels in a computer are CHARLOTTE_DISC1 and CHARLOTTE_DISC2.

Edit: found it: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/...s20051102.html

Last edited by Drexl; 11-10-05 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-10-05, 09:05 PM
Banned

Still really like the Apprentice. The gay guy is cute and the Jewish guy needs TO GO. He's ridiculously creepy.

Was amusing to see people who know nothing of Star Wars try and market it.
Old 11-11-05, 12:45 PM

Damn, I missed the Star Wars episode of The Apprentice last night. Curse the movie channel for airing A Very Long Engagement at the same time
Old 11-11-05, 02:13 PM
Banned

I thought I'd ask. How sure are we that a Mega BlueRay Boxset is in the works? I have held out buying the current releases, but once the Six Film saga is released on the BluRay format, I will be the first in line to pick up my copy. Is 2007 really when this is going to come out. Also, any chance Lucas goes back and tweaks 1-3, like he did with 4-6? ON the new release?

Any help would be great
Old 11-11-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How sure are we that a Mega BlueRay Boxset is in the works?
I don't think we can say whether it will be hi-def or straight DVD. I have serious doubts that hi-def DVD will have any success by 2007, especially with a format war brewing. I think it will be a long time before consumers embrace either hi-def format, because they'll be confused due to the war, and the prices will be extremely high.

But there will be a 6-film box set. Even Lucasfilm and Rob Coleman have hinted on the beginning preperations of a big box set.
Old 11-11-05, 02:55 PM
Banned

so 2007, we will have a complete boxset of something to honor the 30th anniversary...correct?
Old 11-11-05, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
so 2007, we will have a complete boxset of something to honor the 30th anniversary...correct?
Hmmm... Hard to see the future is.
Old 11-11-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even if they do release a six movie set on a HD format, unless they hold off for five years or more, SDVD will still be prevalent enough for a SDVD version as well. I'd say we'll se a 6 movie set before HD versions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.