Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Napoleon Dynamite SE planned

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Guess that the searchlight stuff is not safe ground anymore.
That's because the Fox Home Entertainment division calls the shots on DVDs, not the Fox Searchlight film division. It's the former that's responsible for the Napoleon SE, not the latter.
Old 05-24-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, till reccently, home entertainment didn't bother double dipping w/ searchlight's materail. "to indie". Then again the whole stance on the "indie" marketing has changed in the past year or so.
Old 05-25-05, 10:06 AM

I think the current release is quite good. It certainly is not bare bones. Unless the new SE comes with a Liger, or LaFonda's mix tape then I will probably pass on it.
Old 05-25-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Warner is pretty much the only studio left that's not screwing people too much.

Last edited by jiggawhat; 05-25-05 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I think Warner is pretty much the only studio left that's screwing people too much.
Have you looked at fox lately? Dodgeball, I Robot, day After Tomorrow, Man on Fire and more rerealeased less than a year after the initial release.
Old 05-25-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think that's what he was talking about. Since Fox is double dipping on just about every release, even though the first release has enough on them. Warner seems to really be the only one not double dipping to the extreme.
Old 05-25-05, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I think that's what he was talking about. Since Fox is double dipping on just about every release, even though the first release has enough on them. Warner seems to really be the only one not double dipping to the extreme.
That makes sense. The wording was odd.
Old 05-25-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry left out a 'not' . Fixed now
Old 05-29-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wonder if this will make it to the new disc

http://gorillamask.net/videonapoleontopten.shtml
Old 05-29-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It never ceases to amaze me all the people who come out of the woodwork bragging that they didn't buy a title, rather they waited for the SE.........hell, I like watching movies now rather than waiting for them to come around again 6 months- 5 years from now with a few extra bells and whistles.
Old 05-30-05, 12:35 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

What a waste of studio money to bother giving this movie a second dose.

I rate this movie right up there with 'Dude, Wheres My Car?' as one of the most pointless movies ever to grace the big screen - indie or not.
Old 05-30-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVDMagic

I rate this movie right up there with 'Dude, Wheres My Car?' as one of the most pointless movies ever to grace the big screen - indie or not.
nice
Old 05-30-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVDMagic

And that is your opinion. You know what they say about Opinions. Everyone has one. But when you look at the sales figures on how well it has done on dvd and when you look at the marketing tie ins with shirts, buttons, etc. it really does make some sense to double dip on this one and squeeze any more potential cash out of it one last time.
Old 05-30-05, 03:33 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Glad to see that noone jumped down my throat (yet!) on my opinion.

I really hate the fact that the studios have also tried to get as much money out of epople as they can with all this double dipping bull.

I got 'The Grudge' and 'Man On Fire' only to find out that they now have SE released. Oh well, thats the studios for you.

I honestly believe that a Special Edition should only be released if...

a) the original itself had the bare essentials on with regard to bonus features
b) if the movie itself was released when DVD's first became popular
c) if there are to be more than one release of a movie, then release them all at the same time so that people can pick and choose as they please.

BTW, just got through watching 'Ocean's Twelve' - $10 says we get a SE by Christmas because that had absolutely no extras apart from a trailer.
Old 05-30-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a business. The point of a business is to make as much money as possible. If the demand is there (based on sales) I do not see why any studio should grow some morals. The day that folks stop buying the double dips enough to warrent not having them, you'll have them stop. Simple as that.
Old 05-30-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with Jack here. I despise SEs coming out 6 months after the initial release, but it's their choice to do so as they deem profitable. There's no criteria other than how much more profit they think they can make the second go around. My criteria for buying the same title twice is usually how good or bad the original release looked or sounded; Stripes needs a rerelease, Napoleon Dynamite doesn't, so I'll buy Stripes. Extras get played on my discs MAYBE once a month. As long as I have the movie, and it looks and sounds good on my HT, I'm happy. I seldom double dip unless it's a movie I'm passionate about. People that don't like double dips should leave them on the shelves to gather dust instead of more cash. Buying them with a grumble just gives the studios incentive to see if they can get you to grumble again .
Old 05-31-05, 02:03 AM

I hate double dips as well, but I fully agree with Jackskeleton and Nightmaster. Once the demand is not there anymore, then the studios will stop producing the double or triple dip. This practice is done in every industry from the auto industry to the music industry to the home appliance industry, and lets not forget the computer industry (they are probably the worst). It boils down to economics. If people would buy it, they will produce it.
Old 06-25-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just think it's funny that the DVD release made this movie. That the huge ground swell of people who bought this movie on dvd, made it possible for an SE. Nothing like screweing over the people who helped make this movie what it is.
Old 06-25-05, 07:15 PM

Guarantee Garden State is next. All the college students, plus Braff says there's a ton more deleted scenes out there they wouldn't put on the first release.
Old 06-25-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Smurf
Nothing like screweing over the people who helped make this movie what it is.
Welcome to America!
Old 08-21-05, 07:46 PM

just wondering if anyone here has heard any more news on this yet?
Old 08-21-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps it'll be a new extended, re-edited cut with less of "the gay" and something resembling a plot?

K
Old 08-21-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
what are you talking about dude, that movie was awesome. don't freaking touch it.
Old 08-21-05, 11:55 PM
js1
Cool New Member

I did not like this movie either some parts were kinda funny but the movie on the whole was boring..
Old 08-22-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by js1
I did not like this movie either some parts were kinda funny but the movie on the whole was boring..
Thanks, cuz we were all wondering...

K

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.