Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Refusing to buy a movie, because it's only FS?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Refusing to buy a movie, because it's only FS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
I have to admit, after 5 or 6 years now in the DVD scene, I finally bought my first P&S movie for myself recently - Muppets Christmas Carol. And I watched it like 3 times around Christmas. Sucks that it's not widescreen, but it's just so fun I couldn't live without it anymore.
I did the same a couple of years ago. "Muppet Christmas Carol" is the only DVD of a film I have not presented in its OAR. Simply because it was the only option, and I enjoy the movie so much.

Of course, I also wonder about "The Wiz". I have it and it's in widescreen but it appears they made a compromise on its OAR. It's obviously shot in 2:35 but presented 1:85 on the DVD. But, then again, my only option, and even though the movie is really hit and miss, I have a soft spot for it.
Old 03-11-05, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by legend42
I agree, but don't always be dissuaded when you see that quote on a DVD case. I have several DVDs of older films, from major distributors too, that say "Modified (or re-formatted) to fit your screen", even though they're obviously supposed to be shown 4:3. Either it's a lazy error by the companies who slap that disclaimer on every FS DVD regardless of its OAR, or it's a misleading technicality, since there is a very very slight adjustment from the Academy Ratio of 1.37:1 to 1.33:1.

In any case, seeing that doesn't always mean the DVD is non-OAR. So it's best to know the film's OAR, and go from there.
I just picked up Full Metal Jacket today. When viewing the back of it I was surprised to see a note on the back saying the picture had been modified to fit my screen. I came home, checked IMDB and after checking his other films, seems Kubrick favored the smaller formats 1:33 and 1:66 except for 2001: A Space Odyssey which was shot in 2.20:1. Which is odd as that movie was made near 2 decades earlier than FMJ and you'd think for a war movie you'd want a wider picture *shrug*

just looked again and under technical specs for FMJ @ IMDB, it states 1.37:1 is the "negative ratio" but "intended ratio" is 1.66:1 for Europe and "intended ratio" for US to be 1.85:1.... ???
Old 03-11-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was only a matter of time before Kubrick came up...
Old 03-12-05, 03:29 AM

The Kubrick DVDs are a looong story, Nesto. Just take some comfort in the fact that the DVDs are presented with the aspect ratio in which Kubrick wanted them to be shown. But it is a head-scratcher.

(and to your previous point, there have been some theatrical releases in the past 40 years shown in Academy Ratio. Coppola's One From the Heart comes to mind.)

Last edited by legend42; 03-12-05 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-12-05, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Isn't Postman in OAR?
I assume he's referring to the remake with Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange.
Old 03-12-05, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
I assume he's referring to the remake with Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange.
got ya...
Old 03-12-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timsterino
Absolutely not. Why do I want to see only part of what the director intended me to see? Just to have the movie? I don't think so. OAR or none for me (unless we are talking about TV episodes of course).

I have no interest in seeing half of the picture.
In additon, you votewith your cash and buying a 4:3 DVD shows the studios that it is OK to bastardize pictures.

It worked with Willy Wonka.
Old 03-12-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timsterino
OAR or none for me (unless we are talking about TV episodes of course).
That's a little confusing . . . I don't think that I've ever seen a TV release that wasn't in OAR.
Old 03-12-05, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by talemyn
That's a little confusing . . . I don't think that I've ever seen a TV release that wasn't in OAR.
You are correct. I have fixed my post. I think I had too much cafeine when I wrote that, yeah that is the ticket.
Old 03-12-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't have any "hard and fast" rules about purchasing non-OAR discs. I look at the title in question, how important it is to me, and try to gauge the probability of it being re-released in OAR.

One example is LAST MAN ON EARTH. I picked up Diamond's double-feature disc (with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL). While HoHH had a decent transfer, LMOE was P&S and probably taken from a VHS tape. But for $5 (4 years ago) it was worth having it in my collection. Last Oct I found LMOE in Target's Dollar Spot for $1. It was in widescreen and the print was pristine.

I was happy to have paid $5 for the P&S POS version... and even happier to pay $1 for a far nicer copy.

There are some older films from the 60's that I will jump on no matter what... FLESH EATERS (b/w SciFi-Horror) and LADY IN A CAGE. There are just some films that are "must-haves".

---------------

I wonder how many who say "OAR only" actually know what the OAR of the film in question is... or are they simply assuming that because it is widescreen, that the widescreen ratio is OAR.
Old 03-12-05, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kris81
I've read a few posts today where people say they refuse to buy a movie now becuase it's only available in FS...

i'd think that if that's the ONLY thing you can get, you'd just put up with it & get it...
I would agree with your "put up with it" if and only if DVDs were a necessity we needed to survive. Like, sometimes you need to compromise by buying a car that isn't your first choice, or sometimes you need to buy generic brand food to save a few bucks, or you may need to take a job that isn't your ideal career in order to make ends meet. These are all things that people need to put up with.

A DVD, on the other hand, is a piece of entertainment, and people can be as finicky as they want when it comes to deciding whether or not they'll purchase a certain title. I personally don't think skipping on a FS-only DVD is being overly picky, but even if I did, there'd be nothing at all wrong with doing that.
Old 03-12-05, 05:14 PM

Yup, give me OAR and idealism all the way.

Some say "but if you don't buy the Foolscreen version, then they'll just think there's no interest in that movie". I don't buy that at all. I think that companies can figure it out when all their FS movies do poorly, and their OAR movies do well.

The alternative is buying the f'd up version, and proving to them that OAR doesn't matter. That just leads to *more* movies being screwed up later on.
Old 03-12-05, 09:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
I refuse to buy any non-OAR DVDs. My only exception being the Stanley Kubrick 9-disc set. I hate that The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut are all modified, but owning the other films (and documentary) makes up for it. Also, the three I mentioned are open-matte which makes it slightly more acceptable (at least the INTENDED information is still there. And, if played on a 16x9 TV, you can zoom in to cut off most of the unintended information, leaving a 1.78:1 image, as opposed to the intended 1.85). But, if they're ever released separately in OAR (region 1), I'll buy them without hesitation.

I even refused to buy the canadian Lost Highway DVD because it was fullscreen (LH is my favourite film of all time), and opted for the OAR VHS (which is still available) for about $15 CAD a few years ago. That was satisfactory until I came by an OAR .mov file of the film on Kazaa Lite sometime last year. Then, in January, I found the R4 DVD for $14.95 USD.

I've become hesitant about purchasing non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs now, even though I don't own a 16x9 TV. I know that I will one day, so I'm just keeping myself safe. I can understand DVDs that were released between 1997 and 2000 being non-anamorphic. Those were the experimental years. But now, there's NO reason to release a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD. It's just... stupid.
Old 03-12-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
OAR is all I will buy. I have a ton of Fullscreen movies, but that is because they were all made in the 30's and 40's. The issue is not fullscreen it is OAR. If the film is not OAR then I almost always pass. I do have a couple of films like Evil Dead that are not OAR, but the issues surrounding that one is confusing and the OAR version is still faily easy to find as well.
Old 03-12-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am constantly seeing movies in the WalMart dump bin that i want, but i refuse to purchase them because they are FS. I can't understand Wal-Mart's love affair with FS titles...even in the New Release section many major titles that they carry are FS only. What Bullshit that is! This is even more frustrating because it seems that these days they are really pushing their WS TV's.....it just doesn't add up.

One title in particular that i would love to have in WS is Running On Empty.
Old 03-13-05, 12:41 AM

They should just stop making Full Frame non OAR dvds period and just let people get used to it since thats the way television is headed anyhow. Instead of "pleasing" the stubborn folk, just release Full Frame on VHS for 'em. =P
Old 03-13-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree Nesto, but do corporations ever think about the longterm? I mean look at the short term thinking of releasing non-anamorphic OAR DVDs.
Old 03-13-05, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Full-Screen only releases I've purchased:
Star 80 (didn't notice it was FS, it actually works ok in FS due to the claustrophobic nature)
Miracle Mile (ordered before I realized it was FS only, tried to cancel the order)
Take the Money and Run (this is the only one I can think of that I ordered knowing full well it was non-OAR -- I just really, really wanted it)

Most movies, though, I won't buy if they are FS only--I just prefer not to watch them that way. That's why I don't have The Sting, Fearless, or Remo Williams--the day they come out with WS releases of any of these is the day I'll own them.
Old 03-13-05, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wrdrobeguy
I did the same a couple of years ago. "Muppet Christmas Carol" is the only DVD of a film I have not presented in its OAR. Simply because it was the only option, and I enjoy the movie so much.

Of course, I also wonder about "The Wiz". I have it and it's in widescreen but it appears they made a compromise on its OAR. It's obviously shot in 2:35 but presented 1:85 on the DVD. But, then again, my only option, and even though the movie is really hit and miss, I have a soft spot for it.
Your DVD of The Wiz is correct, is was shot at 1:85.

Original Aspect Ratio is the only option for me.
Old 03-13-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still haven't picked up Kindergarten Cop for this reason.
Old 03-14-05, 09:04 PM

I don't think Kindergarten Cop has ever been released in OAR... my laserdisc is FS also, but at least I only paid $2.49 for it.

I try to avoid non-OAR whenever possible, and have built a fairly nice collection of LD's that aren't available in OAR (or at all) on DVD.
Old 03-14-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Okay, honestly....how many of you "OAR only" people check the actual OAR against the ratio specified on a DVD?
Old 03-14-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Okay, honestly....how many of you "OAR only" people check the actual OAR against the ratio specified on a DVD?
To a certain extent, yes. For the most part, I don't think that you need to check anything presented in WS on DVD (there aren't many . . . if any . . . films that were originally presented in a 4:3 format in the theaters that are then presented in WS on DVD). But I do check most DVD's marked as in 4:3 (except ones that are obviously exempt . . . really old films, most TV series, The Blair Witch Project . . . ) to see what their OAR is, just to be sure that I'm not mistakenly thinking that it is supposed to be in WS.

But technically, no, I don't check up on the OAR of every DVD that I purchase.
Old 03-15-05, 12:46 AM

I'd love to buy Mr. Mom, The Paper, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island. There are just too many other OAR movies out there to buy.
Old 03-15-05, 01:59 AM
Banned

Yeah, I wish Full Metal Jacket was in WS. Sigh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.