Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Refusing to buy a movie, because it's only FS?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Refusing to buy a movie, because it's only FS?

Old 01-15-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't buy FS movies, even if its the only version. I'm still waiting for a Just One of the Guys WS release.
Old 01-15-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only if it's OAR
Old 01-15-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damien666Omen
OAR stands for?
OAR = "Original Aspect Ratio" and basically means the format that the film was originally filmed in and/or was presented in the theaters. Being someone who prefers OAR basically is saying that you want to see a film how the director intended it to be shown.

Originally Posted by nightmaster
I have a few that come to mind, Remo Williams and Doc Hollywood...both barebones cheap titles that I'll pick up in OAR if released again. There are very, very few movies I want that aren't available in OAR to me, but the few that aren't I'm not going to not watch for years to make a point.
Doc Hollywood is one that I haven't bought yet because it's FF only. Another one that I am actually really upset about is The Last Unicorn. So much of enjoying good animation is seeing all of the beautiful artwork that goes into the film. I find it a little insulting that someone has decided that I don't need to see the entire work of the artists in that film.

As someone pointed on a DVD I watched recently (I can't remember which . . . I think it was a special feature on either The Hidden Fortress or The Dreamers, but I'm not sure), how would people feel if the art world decided that all people needed to see of DaVinci's "The Last Supper" was Jesus and the six middle disciples?
Old 01-15-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I refuse to buy "Childs Play" because it is only in P&S. because of this I refuse to buy any of the sequels. (Ihave to own the original 1st). Once it is available WS I will buy the whole set.
Old 01-15-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Anything I say now will simply be a repeat of everyone else, but No OAR = No Sale!! For example, I'm really wanting The Sting, but because it is in P&S only, I will not get it. I believe that it will eventually come out in the correct aspect ratio and I will get it then.
Old 01-15-05, 06:38 PM

I always look for the widescreen version. But Im not too stubborn to not buy a movie that I really want just because it isnt available in WS. For instance last week I bought Child's Play (only available in FS) to complete my collection. From what Ive heard we may never get a WS release due to some fire. Im not about to leave my collection incomplete just because the release isnt PERFECT. The world isnt perfect, life isnt perfect.
Old 01-15-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
I refuse to buy "Childs Play" because it is only in P&S. because of this I refuse to buy any of the sequels. (Ihave to own the original 1st). Once it is available WS I will buy the whole set.
That DVD isn't even widescreen? I almost bought it at Best Buy recently too, but wanted a more deluxe edition. Good thing.

I have to admit, after 5 or 6 years now in the DVD scene, I finally bought my first P&S movie for myself recently - Muppets Christmas Carol. And I watched it like 3 times around Christmas. Sucks that it's not widescreen, but it's just so fun I couldn't live without it anymore.
Old 01-15-05, 06:46 PM

cactusoly, as I stated in my post above, we may never get a WS release of Child's PLay. I believe it was destroyed in some fire. Thats why I went ahead and bought the FS. $9.99 at Best Buy, cant really beat that. Plus 2-4 for $33.99. Basically $11 for each film. So you're going to be waiting ALONG time just to get that perfect collection, that will never come.
Old 01-15-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering that this rarely is a problem, I pretty much stick to it. The only film I have that's not OAR is Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, and since it's not a very visual movie and there's no alternative (and it was wicked cheap) I got it. Otherwise, it's not being stubborn, it's just not wasting money on something I do not want to watch.
Old 01-15-05, 07:12 PM

I guess Stubborn was the wrong word to use, but i've seen many cheap dvds at walmart & such, that are in the bargain bins... some of which 4.88$ cdn, 6.88$ cdn and people refuse to buy until they come out with a WS..

Me personally i stick with widescreen (mainly because i have a bigscreen WS tv)... but if there's nothing else i don't freak...

I mean, i just watch movies for the entertainment.. not to disect
Old 01-15-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Anything I say now will simply be a repeat of everyone else, but No OAR = No Sale!! For example, I'm really wanting The Sting, but because it is in P&S only, I will not get it. I believe that it will eventually come out in the correct aspect ratio and I will get it then.
Ditto on that. I too am holding out on The Sting. Universal has made an announcement of a SE of this sometime this year, hopefully in its OAR.

Other titles I am holding out for OAR: The Jerk(SE coming this year also),Frantic,Fearless,Spies Like Us,Grumpy Old Men, and plenty of others, some already mentioned.

And as soon as I get a widescreen TV, I will probably only buy anamorphic titles as well. I've already held off on getting a few titles because they weren't.

It's not about being an elite snob, stubborn, whatever. It's about getting the correct version. I have no reason to buy something that's not OAR when there are plenty of other titles that are. I can wait for a proper release of anything, even if it means waiting a while for a new format like HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, etc.
Old 01-15-05, 07:32 PM

I have passed on The Sting, The Trouble With Angels, The Journey of Natty Gann, to name three off the top of my head, since they have been released in full-screen only. I won't waste money on seeing on part of the movie. Plus I can rely on TCM to show The Sting and Trouble With Angels in widescreen every now and then. On the otherhand, Natty Gann has never been released in a widescreen version.
Old 01-15-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several films I want to see in its OAR and still won't pick up even when the only version is P&S. Buying anything fullscreen is akin to supporting the format and encouraging the studios to continue to release them as such. I don't want to be part of those sales statistics.
Old 01-15-05, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kris81
is anyone here such a WS fan, that you'll refuse to buy a movie if it's only released in FS?

Do you not consider this just extreme, stubborn, and done out of spite?

I've read a few posts today where people say they refuse to buy a movie now becuase it's only available in FS...

i'd think that if that's the ONLY thing you can get, you'd just put up with it & get it...

There's only one FS movie in my collection - Windwalker - and that's because it is a sentimental favorite, and there is no proper OAR version of it, nor is there likely to be.

Otherwise, yes, there have been movies I would have bought on DVD, but have not bought because they are FS only. One example is The Paper. I have it on tape. I would like it on DVD, but when I saw it was only FS, I figured, why bother.

It's not because I'm necessarily a WS fan or fanatic. I just know that changing a movie image to fit a TV is distorting it. I want to see the movie in its unaltered, original, correct format. So that means WS.
Old 01-15-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I will always buy widescreen over fullscreen. But, given no choice, where the only release is a fullscreen one, I'll buy it.
Same here. Unfortunately, 2 of my all-time favorite movies have only been released in fullscreen... "The Sting" and "Arthur". There's no way I'm leaving those out of my collection. If and when the studios put out anamorphic widescreen versions of those films I will very happily double-dip!
Old 01-15-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Same here. Unfortunately, 2 of my all-time favorite movies have only been released in fullscreen... "The Sting" and "Arthur". There's no way I'm leaving those out of my collection. If and when the studios put out anamorphic widescreen versions of those films I will very happily double-dip!
Arthur is available in R2 and R4 in anamorphic widescreen. The Sting is available in R2 and R4 in widescreen letterbox. Why limit yourself to what available in R1? Go region-free.
Old 01-15-05, 11:49 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really depends on the movie and weather a SE is rumoured to be in the works. I've only broken down twice and bought FS
Old 01-15-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll admit it, I bought Willy Wonka FS because it is one of my favorite movies. To my disgust, a WS came out I believe it was two months after! I'm attempting to be a bit more cautious before buying FS now, but if the right movie came out, I may do so again!
Old 01-16-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have only bought Just One of the Guys and Kindergarten Cop. I would like new releases but I have no regrets. I would rather have them in fullscreen then not have them at all.
Old 01-16-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Arthur is available in R2 and R4 in anamorphic widescreen. The Sting is available in R2 and R4 in widescreen letterbox. Why limit yourself to what available in R1? Go region-free.
If people are so adamant about not giving the companies money for FS, why pay premium prices for movies in other regions? If I can leave a movie on the shelf because it's fullscreen, I can not convince myself to refrain from paying twice as much or more for a copy from another country. In many cases the same company is letting the other regions have the movie as it was intended while leaving region 1 buyers hanging. Me buying from other regions just gives them more incentive to do so.
Old 01-16-05, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have one non-OAR DVD in my collection 'The Sting'. If Universal does release a better version later, I'll double-dip on release date.
Old 01-16-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nightmaster
If people are so adamant about not giving the companies money for FS, why pay premium prices for movies in other regions? If I can leave a movie on the shelf because it's fullscreen, I can not convince myself to refrain from paying twice as much or more for a copy from another country.
That's much too sweeping a generalization, because while many titles are much more expensive if you by them from other regions, there are also many instances where the price is similar or not too much more.

My OAR STAR 80 cost me about $10 USD from Australia, my OAR TIMECOP cost me about $13 USD from the UK - those prices included shipping.
And I've had my anamorphic OAR KARATE KID box set ever since I sent Amazon UK about $23 USD over a year ago. (The added plus here was that they only included the first 3 movies ).

Some people seem to be saying they'll double-dip if one of their favorites ever gets released OAR - well, if it's not a great price difference, I'd rather have it the right way right now. In the long run, it's cheaper than buying a title twice.

Edit to add: Since The Sting was mentioned a few times, I thought I'd check to see what the story is with that title. You have a choice: you can spend $15 to get the R1 p/s version from Amazon, or you can spend $14 to get the R2 OAR version from Amazon.co.uk. Hmmm ... less money, more picture ..... decisions, decisions.

Last edited by marty888; 01-16-05 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-16-05, 08:11 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
only if it's OAR
. . . and I mean ONLY.
Old 01-16-05, 08:32 AM

If there is a title that I really want that is only available in a non-OAR format, I buy a used copy. It makes me feel better knowing that I am not rewarding the studio for not offering the proper presentation. This way, I end up paying less than full retail, support my local store and get a copy that will hold me over until/if a proper release arrives.
Old 01-16-05, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
So what's wrong with the various 2.35:1 releases?
Are you saying there is an OAR DVD of Windwalker? Where? How much? What region?

I bought it off Amazon Marketplace for $6, expecting it to be WS, but it is FS. If I had known there was a WS/OAR version, I most certainly would've gotten that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.