Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Refusing to buy a movie, because it's only FS?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-15-05, 01:31 AM

is anyone here such a WS fan, that you'll refuse to buy a movie if it's only released in FS?

Do you not consider this just extreme, stubborn, and done out of spite?

I've read a few posts today where people say they refuse to buy a movie now becuase it's only available in FS...

i'd think that if that's the ONLY thing you can get, you'd just put up with it & get it...
Old 01-15-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obstinacy to one is idealism to another. Companies gouging us with their insistance on double-dipping have taught us to hold out. If time and collecting have taught us anything, it's that a bare-bones or FS only release has a chance of eventually seeing an inevitable upgrade or OAR version. It's not like their aren't plenty of other titles to choose from in the meantime.
Old 01-15-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Many films that are "modified to fit your screen" are unwatchable. Seeing giant heads filling my screen and unnatural panning is too irritating for me. Granted, some films with OARs of 1.85:1 can be zoomed without losing as much information, but knowing the picture was cropped just to cater to the uneducated is insulting to film buffs. There are too many fine films available in their OAR to support the studios that put out this trash.
Old 01-15-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

its why i had a laser disc player....its why TCM and AMC were important 10 years ago.

won't buy them if not OAR.

But i will e mail any company who puts out F/S only versions and tell them they won't get my money.

Half the movie half the price....that sounds fair
Old 01-15-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny this thread was started as I was in a store similar to Walmart in Vancouver, Canada.

I was really into buying a few dvd titles but when I saw that all of them were in fullscreen, I walked right out.
Old 01-15-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No.

In addition, owning a widescreen TV makes buying "widescreen" (anamorphic) DVDs even more important. If you have a widescreen HDTV you know what I mean.
Old 01-15-05, 02:14 AM
Banned

If the film is only made in fullscreen, I usually pass on it as well, and pick up something else I'm interested in which comes in widescreen. Fullscreen only usually get upgraded in SE sets, and such anyways. even if I find a great deal on a DVD and both FS and WS are made, but they're only stocked with FS, I pass.

It's just my preference. I prefer to get the experience the way it was meant to be showed, not formatted to fit a different sized screen.
Old 01-15-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only buy fullframe if that is the original aspect ratio

But I will admit within the last month. I did buy my first non-OAR dvd,which was Innocent Blood. It was only $5 and I highly doubt it will be rereleased anytime soon,so I picked it up.

I am pretty sure it is just an open matte transfer,though some have reported the 1:85 laserdisc has a tiny tiny bit of additional information on the sides.

Don't worry though,I have'nt picked up Action Jackson yet,and other non-OAR only releases
Old 01-15-05, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a few that come to mind, Remo Williams and Doc Hollywood...both barebones cheap titles that I'll pick up in OAR if released again. There are very, very few movies I want that aren't available in OAR to me, but the few that aren't I'm not going to not watch for years to make a point.
Old 01-15-05, 03:48 AM
Banned

OAR my friend, OAR.
Old 01-15-05, 04:02 AM

luckily the fiancee is a manager at best buy so she got me a copy of piranha 2 and just one of the guys..ive really wanted those but i just cant PAY for those movies since windescreen versions arent availible..columbia is not getting a cent from me for those half assed releases
Old 01-15-05, 06:11 AM

I have only bought FS by mistake 2 times. First time was Cats & Dogs which I returned right away for a full refund, and the second time was online and the movie was Master Of Disguise...it was both fullscreen AND a terrible movie...it now sits as the only black sheep in my collection...so if anyone is interested ?
Old 01-15-05, 07:15 AM

Yes - Honeymoon in Vegas and Can't Buy Me Love. Both fun movies, but fullscreen. Blegh.
Old 01-15-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A few reasons why I don't buy p/s crap:

1) I can deplete my DVD budget very easily with all the movies I want out there that have been released properly on DVD - so why would I divert some of my limited funds to an inferior item. I'm still emptyng my pockets and filling my shelves with movies I want.
2)There are many of those p/s titles that I have taped commercial-free from AMC (when they were good), TMC, Sundance, IFC, etc when they were broadcast in their proper OAR.
Old 01-15-05, 07:37 AM

Not only will I not buy movies that are only available in P&S, but I also refuse to buy widescreen movies that are not anamorphic.
Old 01-15-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought one of those Brentwood "4 Movies" sets because it had an uncut version of Pieces. The print they used was terrible and the transfer is craptastic. To add insult to injury it's fullscreen.

But I wanted to have the movie in it's uncut form and hope that one day they will put out a decent release. Who knows if it will EVER happen.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 1 DVD out of 680. I think that's a pretty good track record.
Old 01-15-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
OAR my friend, OAR.
The only correct answer!
Old 01-15-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely OAR, but I buy FS if nothing else is produced. The Iceman, for example, was just released by Universal in full screen only. It's not a very popular movie and was JUST released, so I don't plan on seeing a new version soon.
Old 01-15-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kris81
is anyone here such a WS fan, that you'll refuse to buy a movie if it's only released in FS?

I've read a few posts today where people say they refuse to buy a movie now becuase it's only available in FS...

i'd think that if that's the ONLY thing you can get, you'd just put up with it & get it...
Let's reverse it...is it extreme or stubborn to buy movies ONLY in FS?

I don't think ANYBODY deserves to get ridiculed for their buying choices. As long as they know what they're buying, then how one spends their own hard-earned money is their business.

There really not too many movies I want that's only in FS (although, one comes to mind "The Karate Kid," but even that will get a widescreen treatment in an upcoming boxed set).
Old 01-15-05, 08:45 AM

No. Why would I spend money on something that will only make me angry?*

*Golf excluded
Old 01-15-05, 08:52 AM

Damn I just counted and I have 25 Full-Screen DVDS out of 603 Total.

There better be another Blockbuster $8 trade in deal or I am stuck with them.
Old 01-15-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I will always buy widescreen over fullscreen. But, given no choice (such as with The Powerpuff Girls movie and others) where the only release is a fullscreen one, I'll buy it.
Old 01-15-05, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by natevines
Definitely OAR, but I buy FS if nothing else is produced.
As do I.
Old 01-15-05, 09:50 AM

OAR stands for?
Old 01-15-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Damien666Omen
OAR stands for?
Original Aspect Ratio

And don't fret about having 25 fullscreen DVDs... sometimes fullscreen IS the OAR.

Last edited by TomOpus; 01-15-05 at 10:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.