Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost In The Shell 2 - bad subtitles makes dvd unwatchable

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ghost In The Shell 2 - bad subtitles makes dvd unwatchable

Old 03-08-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone said on htf, if you put the cc stream in on your tv, you should get the sound cues on the v.4 version if you are interested.
Old 03-08-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
someone said on htf, if you put the cc stream in on your tv, you should get the sound cues on the v.4 version if you are interested.
I got my hopes up and tried this, but switching my TV's CC options several different ways made no difference. I even tried some of my DVD player's more esoteric settings and also, no difference.

Frankly, even though I am not a DVD technical expert, I fail to see how a television's settings would change how a DVD player displays its subs at all.

Can someone shed some light on this or provide a link to some other forum which does? I'd like to know if it really isn't the disc's fault. Some of these DVDs get authored in really weird ways...
Old 03-08-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Aw crap, I just check the "V4" I bought at Target and have the same problem as Jepthah.

The subtitles are not corrected on all retail copies with the V4 indication. Buyer beware.
Old 03-08-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Aw crap, I just check the "V4" I bought at Target and have the same problem as Jepthah.

The subtitles are not corrected on all retail copies with the V4 indication. Buyer beware.
Dreamjerks really screwed the pooch on this one, didn't they Josh?

Here's hoping that the mailer method is the last and real fix. Best Buy would likely just give me another copy with the same problem.
Old 03-08-05, 08:12 PM
Cool New Member

Everyone I know who's received the replacement disk has got the right one (ie: no CC). What I saw on the "other forum" (HTF) was that if you enabled CC on your TV you could still see them with the replacement disk, otherwise not. I haven't tried it myself though.
Old 03-08-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dammit...I got a V4 finally at Best Buy today...started watching it and saw (footsteps) and went nuts...Good thing though - my envelope also came today to send the disc back...

GitS in the US is becoming like fucking Macbeth. It's cursed for home video release...
Old 03-09-05, 08:14 AM

my corrected copy arrived in the mail on last evening. I'll give it a try today and hopefully, all will be well.
Old 03-09-05, 08:51 AM
Banned

It would appear the retail copies are old discs with V4 packaging.

Is there any V4 information on the disc itself?
Old 03-09-05, 09:10 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I vaguely remember it was mentioned somewhere that the pressing number in the center ring ends in 'V4'.
Old 03-09-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, the only way to get a sub/no-cc version is to buy the cc one and exchange it?
Old 03-09-05, 10:19 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
So, the only way to get a sub/no-cc version is to buy the cc one and exchange it?
Probably. There are reports in the AOD forum that the sub from the replacement does not contain the CC stuff. They had a screen cap showing the sub which is in a smaller font and does not have those [...] stuff. The V4 retail version seems to be plagued too. Surprisingly that version seems to have a different sub track from the original one (which suggests that it is not the same disc as the original and mistakenly put in the V4 retail packaging) but still have the CC content in it though. Go figure.

I think the best bet now is to buy whatever version in the retail and send it in for a replacement. The exchange is pretty fast too.
Old 03-09-05, 03:59 PM

STILL no replacement copy from Dreamworks. Man, what a pain in the ass. Death to Dreamworks. They should not be allowed to license any more anime.
Old 03-09-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really wish Columbia/Tri-Star got this one. They did such a fantastic job on the Cowboy Bebop movie and Metropolis. They treated both with complete respect, IMO.
Old 03-09-05, 10:39 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
I really wish Columbia/Tri-Star got this one. They did such a fantastic job on the Cowboy Bebop movie and Metropolis. They treated both with complete respect, IMO.
Memories and Tokyo Godfathers are pretty solid too.
Old 03-11-05, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Dammit...I got a V4 finally at Best Buy today...started watching it and saw (footsteps) and went nuts...Good thing though - my envelope also came today to send the disc back...
Same thing happened to me. Best Buy has the old discs in the v4 packaging. Damn you Dreamworks!
Old 03-11-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched this (Netflix rental), and so probably won't get the urge to see it again for at least a couple months... do we think/know that this new sub-corrected version will ultimately replace all the old stock? If so, I don't mind waiting and would prefer that to buying the other one, and hoping for a quick and easy replacement from Dreamworks.
Old 03-11-05, 03:27 PM

I watched my "replaced" copy yesterday and the subs are definately corrected. The turn-around time for me was roughly four weeks.
Old 03-11-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by buckee1
I watched my "replaced" copy yesterday and the subs are definately corrected. The turn-around time for me was roughly four weeks.
Four weeks from when you first requested the mailer envelope, or four weeks from the point where you actually mailed back your old copy?

I just requested the envelope the other day when I discovered that my "V4" wasn't corrected. I'm going to be annoyed if it takes 2 months to get a replacement disc.
Old 03-13-05, 04:54 PM

Dammit. I figured I had waited long enough, so I got a "V4" from Best Buy today and, lo and behold, it's not a fixed disc. After reading people's posts here, I guess trying to exchange it at BB won't help, and I'll have to send for a replacement. Ugh.
Old 03-13-05, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Duder
Dammit. I figured I had waited long enough, so I got a "V4" from Best Buy today and, lo and behold, it's not a fixed disc. After reading people's posts here, I guess trying to exchange it at BB won't help, and I'll have to send for a replacement. Ugh.
I'm probably gonna end up buying the copy and sending it back to the studio. I'm tired of waiting and it looks like it doesn't even matter since the "fixed" version in stores is not even corrected.
Old 03-14-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ZakVTA
I'm probably gonna end up buying the copy and sending it back to the studio. I'm tired of waiting and it looks like it doesn't even matter since the "fixed" version in stores is not even corrected.
You should go ahead and just request the mailer envelope now prior to buying the DVD, to expedite the process. If you miraculously do manage to find an actual fixed disc at retail, just discard the envelope.

I'm wishing now that I had requested the envelope the minute the studio started offering them. Instead, I stupidly assumed that once I eventually found a "V4" at retail it would be fine.
Old 03-14-05, 10:29 PM

Get this shit, my buddy bought one at Best Buy over the weekend, dispite my warnings...and his V4 is perfectly fine. I'm jealous.
Old 03-14-05, 10:44 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does his disc actually say "V4" at the end of the numbers in the inner ring of the disc? Some people bought the V4 packaging but the disc says V2 in the inner ring.
Old 03-14-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I realize i'm in the minority here, but subtitles in general make a movie unwatchable to me....they simply irritate the living hell out of me. It's so difficult to pay attention to reading the text AND watching the scene at the same time.
Old 03-15-05, 12:15 AM

Well, you can always turn the subtitles off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.