Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just joking...I know what it is . I'm just not a big shoujo anime fan

Yakuza Bengosh that nasty quote after all the nice things I said about your collection

Last edited by Bosskmr; 11-09-04 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 12:27 PM

They Live is definitely on my list of movies to get. That's one I remember watching and really enjoying. Prince of Darkness was one I remember having scared the sh!t out of me.

As for Caveman ... that was a movie I remembered watching as a kid and enjoying. So when I saw it for $8.88 at WM, I bought it pretty easily. Of course, I dont' find it as funny as I once did, just as I'm not as scared by movies like Exorcist and Prince of Darkness - which kinda bums me out. Orca was also an old movie I remembered well, and decided to get.

I have a good number of 80s movies because I grew up in the 80s, and fondly remember many movies, like Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club, etc. I'm a Trekkie, was a huge Knight Rider fan, and was and still am into Transformers (as if the name couldn't clue to that.)

I have a dozen or so on my want list. Some, like the original Planet of the Apes and Superman, I haven't gotten around to yet. Others, like Batman and Star Trek: First Contact, I'm waiting on new releases for.

The rest of this year is likely to see me add I, Robot; Spiderman 2; Quantum Leap Season 2; Star Trek TOS Season 3; and... another old favorite - Cloak & Dagger.
Old 11-09-04, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Altimus...very sci-fi. A little small, but must be your taste. Maybe a little more expanse is on the horizon for you...
Get a grade higher for having "V: The Miniseries" and "V: The Final Battle"!!

Grade= B-

How bout givin' me a rating?

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-09-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 12:33 PM

have a good number of 80s movies because I grew up in the 80s, and fondly remember many movies, like Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club,

Breakfast Club and Bueller, but no Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? For shame

Altimus,
We seem to be of similar tastes and age, check mine out and see if it gives you any ideas.
Old 11-09-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I kinda wish DVDProfiler had an option where you could show the price paid. I wouldn't buy some movies for 15 or 20 bucks, but like you say, finding them at Walmart for 8 bucks almost makes it an impulse purchase, and moves a 'maybe' title into the 'eh, why not?' category.

CCS and Sailor Moon notwithstanding, I don't know if I'm a shoujo 'fan' necessarily, although many of the big titles in anime do feature magical females/girls. I've been renting a lot of anime through Netflix that I might or might not have bought, and that helps alter the average content I own [on disk 6 of Full Metal Panic now, and while I like it a lot, the replay value of most anime to me, especially long series, means it has to either not be available via rental, or available for purchase somewhat cheaply, to be worth a buy.] Some of the other series or disks i've had, after getting one or two disks, I discovered I didn't necessarily want to keep the series enough to bother buying the rest and sold what I had [Magic User's Club, Boogiepop Phantom, Lain, etc] and rented the rest to check them out.
{Having said that, I now see that Netflix has all 18 disks of CCS}.

I actually have never seen Exorcist, although it's been on my Netflix queue for years. Now that halloweens' over, it should be available, so maybe I'll move it up before i start another tv series.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 11-09-04 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 12:43 PM

I try to set a pretty high bar for what I buy on DVD, although a good price can bring it down (such as Total Recall for $5.50). I try to buy on DVD only that which I know I like enough to watch repeatedly. I don't want to have any - or much - clutter.

Looking at Scott and stinkeye's collections, ones I would add if I could:

Indiana Jones - I wish I could just get Raiders.
Austin Powers - I got all three on VHS, and I'd rather buy a movie I don't have at all.
Better Off Dead - Also an old fav, but have on VHS.
ET - Probably a big missing "blockbuster," but it just doesn't grab my interest anymore.
Fugitive: Have on VHS. Good movie, but not one that I think would meet my test.
Hunt for Red October - Again, on VHS. Probably seen it too many times to watch repeatedly.
Jurassic Park: D'oh, VHS again. May upgrade in time.
Looney Tunes: It intrigued me, but the price seemed steep.
Pulp Fiction: Will be due for a VHS upgrade.
Old 11-09-04, 12:44 PM

Here's a thought - Look at the collections, and pull out the ones that "don't belong," as in titles that really stand apart from the bulk of the collection.

My own would probably be things like The Cutting Edge and Windwalker.

P.S. Regarding the comment on price, what I want to do sometime soon is go through my DVDs and add up what I actually paid for DVDs versus what the listed SRP is. True, most DVDs never sell for their SRP and you can just about always find them much less than SRP, but the comparison would be interesting.

And yes, just about anything is a function of price. There are probably movies even in my collection I have bought at $9.99 I wouldn't buy at prices much higher.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 11-09-04 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
You mean the comment that "you've obviously never seen it"? Sorry. Didn't mean to sound harsh, just enthusiastic for this series which could be easily overlooked or confused with lesser things such as Cardcaptors.

No problem......everyone here seems to be passionate about the DVDs that they like.
Old 11-09-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
There's a report for DVDProfiler that will do that, compare 'Price paid' to 'MSRP' and give you a title-specific and total collection percentage saved. Pretty cool, yet frightening. For dvd's I've won or recieved as gifts, I put in .01.

Using the 'standout' idea, what stands out to me from your collection is:
Transformers 1, 2, 3
lots of Star Trek
Earth: Final Conflict

I've been a lot more conservative wrt dvd purchases recently.
The only current/upcoming releases I can think of offhand that I'm really interested in are:
Star Wars trilogy
Red Dwarf S3-4
Simpsons S5 [although I haven't even opened S4 yet, not too long before I bought it, S4 was syndicated on my local network].
Return of the King EE
Rock and Rule [scheduled for April 05, I think]

Last edited by tonyc3742; 11-09-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
these threads are always a fun read. nothing beats hearing someone tell you what crappy taste you have in picking movies.

so with that said, can someone tell me how crappy my taste is?
Old 11-09-04, 01:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
no...i asked first....
Old 11-09-04, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
these threads are always a fun read. nothing beats hearing someone tell you what crappy taste you have in picking movies.

Too many to count

I like your subfolder layout...I wish more people would put there collections into some sort of folder to have types of DVDs together
Old 11-09-04, 01:27 PM

How could anyone with Action Jackson have crappy taste?

massive collection by my standards, you have some sequels and spinoffs (Friday the 13th, American Werewolf in Paris, Supergirl?), but some seem to be missing from your collection(no Jaws 2, 3, or the Revenge?)
Old 11-09-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really crappy !

Seriously though great collection, I didnt see Finding Nemo or Bug's Life. Two of my (and kid's) favorites.
Old 11-09-04, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by stinkeye
How could anyone with Action Jackson have crappy taste?

massive collection by my standards, you have some sequels and spinoffs (Friday the 13th, American Werewolf in Paris, Supergirl?), but some seem to be missing from your collection(no Jaws 2, 3, or the Revenge?)
yeah, I have been doing some erratic buying lately. I will eventually add in all of gaps for the flicks I'm missing like Jaws 2-4.
Old 11-09-04, 01:41 PM

Well, I would be happy to oblige. Let me take a day or two off work to review it. Yikes!

I know, some have even more, and that scares me even more.
Old 11-09-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stinkeye I like just about every movie in your collection. Sometimes I wish I had more focus on what I grab and buy on a whim. Very solid selections on your part!
Old 11-09-04, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
no...i asked first....
Very nice sampling of many genres:

You have Dirty Dozen/Bridge on River Kwai: might I suggest The Great Escape SE, The Big Red One (full version)?

Wrath of Khan but no Search for Spock/Voyage Home to complete the middle-series trilogy?
Old 11-09-04, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by cseyer
Stinkeye I like just about every movie in your collection. Sometimes I wish I had more focus on what I grab and buy on a whim. Very solid selections on your part!
I've binged and purged over the years and try to keep it lean and mean. I've kept things that have multiple viewing potential, but how could I ever part with Footloose or Roadhouse?

I see Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves: Special Edition in your list, check out the Errol Flynn version if you haven't. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-09-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently had the same recommendation from a coworker. I intend to check it out. He also suggested a made for TV movie but I cant remember the title right now that focused on Maid Meriam I think??
Old 11-09-04, 02:01 PM

hmm...

this one?
Old 11-09-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep that's it with Uma Thurman. I found it at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 11-09-04, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by cseyer
I knew I was gonna be in for a suprise when the first 3 movies I saw on your list were Addams Family Values, Joe Versus The Volcano, and The Money Pit.

I never really know how to review people's collections, but one thing I can say is I hope that you have kids.. Cause if not.. well some of those movies are just too strange. Couple specific things I guess..

Herbie Rides Again?!? - Why is this even out on DVD??
Barbie of Swan Lake - See above comment about kids.
Ghosts of Mars - Take this back and buy 2 copies of Friday if you want a movie with Ice Cube in it.
The Thin Red Line - The Thin Boring Plot. Much better war movies out there. (Great Escape, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc)
Driven - Cobra is ok for a cheesy Stallone movie, this isnt.

Hope i wasn't too critical.. You definitely have a diverse collection. I think the best way to sum it up is by looking near the beginning of the list: "#22 Porky's and #23 The Crying Game" - Please don't tell me you picked these up at the same time.

Ok someone feel free to trash me now...
Old 11-09-04, 02:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Very nice collection, but strictly Modern. You do have some of the best movies from the last 15 years, in Run Lola Run, and Fight Club, but where is Last of the Mohicans and Braveheart? No Brainers.

You need more classics, not much from the old days.

You Need to Put these in Immediately:

Casablanca
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Wizard of Oz
North by Northwest
Rear Window
and as much Hitchcock as you can muster up
The Searchers
Citizen Kane
Mister Roberts

Ok I'll stop now..
Old 11-09-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dealer
I knew I was gonna be in for a suprise when the first 3 movies I saw on your list were Addams Family Values, Joe Versus The Volcano, and The Money Pit.

I never really know how to review people's collections, but one thing I can say is I hope that you have kids.. Cause if not.. well some of those movies are just too strange. Couple specific things I guess..

Herbie Rides Again?!? - Why is this even out on DVD??
Barbie of Swan Lake - See above comment about kids.
Ghosts of Mars - Take this back and buy 2 copies of Friday if you want a movie with Ice Cube in it.
The Thin Red Line - The Thin Boring Plot. Much better war movies out there. (Great Escape, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc)
Driven - Cobra is ok for a cheesy Stallone movie, this isnt.

Hope i wasn't too critical.. You definitely have a diverse collection. I think the best way to sum it up is by looking near the beginning of the list: "#22 Porky's and #23 The Crying Game" - Please don't tell me you picked these up at the same time.

Ok someone feel free to trash me now...
You got it on the kids picking many of the movies on the list, in fact I doubt I have half of all of them captured in DVD profiler its been hit or miss.

Some of those movies I pick up used like ghost of mars I bought for $3 at a garage sale. I probably should trade several of those in at Blockbuster huh?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.