Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

ICE PIRATES!!! Feb 15

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ICE PIRATES!!! Feb 15

Old 02-15-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanstew
Wow, apparently people will buy anything that gets put on DVD.
Wow, apparently people will anywhere.
Old 02-15-05, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Will MEGA FORCE be next???

Oh man! I loved that movie. Wasn't that the one where their vehicles had photo-sensitive paint? Where during the night, the paint turned black and then during the day, they were that white and yellow lightning bolt scheme?

This film had Persis Khambatta in it. The chick who played Lt. Illia in ST:TMP.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 02-15-05 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also has one of the greatest taglines of all times . . .

The Ice Pirates
You have to be there to see it.

Last edited by talemyn; 02-15-05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Wow, apparently people will anywhere.

HAHAHAHAHA, greatest. reply. ever.
Old 02-15-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by spartanstew
Wow, apparently people will buy anything that gets put on DVD.

Stew

This coming from a guy who has Superman IV & Batman & Robin in his collection
Old 02-15-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
For those of you who couldn't find it at Best Buy, I found it under comedy (for $9.99, too!)
Old 02-15-05, 11:23 PM
Cool New Member

http://www.theperlmanpages.i12.com/b...cepirates1.htm <---interesting google search on ron perlman and ice pirates.
Old 02-16-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn my BB only had one copy and it had a lose disc. I will have to find it elsewhere!
Old 02-16-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
This coming from a guy who has Superman IV & Batman & Robin in his collection
Old 02-16-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Oh man! I loved that movie. Wasn't that the one where their vehicles had photo-sensitive paint? Where during the night, the paint turned black and then during the day, they were that white and yellow lightning bolt scheme?
Yup, when I was a kid I had the complete set of matchbox vehicles from the movie.
Old 02-17-05, 10:42 AM
Cool New Member

Well I picked a copy up at BB last night and watched it. It still held up to my expectations of it. =) I missed the fact its only in MONO.. that sucked a bit.. but for $9.99 it was a great buy for me! now if i can get one of those environmental machines they use in the movie.. hehe
Old 02-17-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
GREAT news indeed!

If it sells well maybe Universal will release Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn and Columbia Yor: The Hunter From the Future !
Metalstorm would be awesome! Always loved the poster art...

Old 02-17-05, 04:43 PM
Banned

Gotta love these early-mid '80s scif-fi/fantasy flicks...good cheesey fun.
Old 02-17-05, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Yup, when I was a kid I had the complete set of matchbox vehicles from the movie.
Oh man, I bet those were cool. Did they change colors?
Old 02-17-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up a copy of IP today... OMG... HAHAHA! 80's cheese at its silliest.
Old 02-17-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had forgotten about this coming out until this thread was resurrected. I was actually giddy buying this today. I was more excited holding this in my hands than when I picked up old faves like the Indiana Jones & Star Wars. Hmm, is that weird?
Old 02-17-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Oh man, I bet those were cool. Did they change colors?
They were so cool I bought the whole set before even seeing the movie!

No, they didn't change colors. There were separate cars in "desert" colors and all-black. I forget whether they were sold separately or in 2-packs.

I recall having the dune buggy-type thing in both colors, and the command vehicle (that looked a lot like a motorhome) in both colors. I forget what else there was. Maybe a helicopter?
Old 02-17-05, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by freudguy
I had forgotten about this coming out until this thread was resurrected. I was actually giddy buying this today. I was more excited holding this in my hands than when I picked up old faves like the Indiana Jones & Star Wars. Hmm, is that weird?
I said basically the same thing on another forum.
Old 02-22-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOOHAH! WB/MGM, you're the king!

This movie had an AWESOME release! The transfer was absolutely TOO GOOD for this movie, it was like you were really there... and that's not a good thing!

I seriously really do appreciate WB/MGM's effort in this release... they went back and found all the old promo photos of the characters and stuck them into the chapter selection pages... the theme song is blaring during all the menus, and they even include a TOO LONG trailer for the feature, advertising it as a "space comedy". The image of Ron Perlman obviously having too much fun, on the main menu, will stick in my mind forever.

Good going to the folks that put this release together for the fans!!! BRAVO!

Last edited by ShagMan; 02-22-05 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShagMan
Now that's an image I would have never thought of ever seeing back in the '80s. The Ice Pirates on an HD 16:9 TV.
Old 02-22-05, 11:07 PM

I picked Ice Pirates up tonight myself, after a bit of indecision and at first going to a Best Buy that didn't have it.

It was pretty much a nostalgia purchase. The only part of it I really remembered was the castration scene - I mean, if that doesn't make an impact, what possibly could?

Good flick. But I don't see it as much of a parody or space comedy as, say, Spaceballs. IP seems to take itself a bit more seriously than that. But then again, while Spaceballs is funny at times, there's a lot of stupid jokes in it, IMO.
Old 02-23-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love that photo, haven't watched mine yet but that makes me want to leave work to watch it If only my wife shared my enthusiasm for owning 80's movies like this one
Old 02-23-05, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by freudguy
I love that photo, haven't watched mine yet but that makes me want to leave work to watch it If only my wife shared my enthusiasm for owning 80's movies like this one
I bought Ice Pirates last week with the wife by my side. I got another, "What the hell is this movie? Another dvd when you have hundreds that are unwatched? Ice Pirates? Come on."

She's right, but I still bought it, haven't watched it yet, and am happy for only $9.99 + tax.
Old 02-23-05, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by johnglad
I bought Ice Pirates last week with the wife by my side. I got another, "What the hell is this movie? Another dvd when you have hundreds that are unwatched? Ice Pirates? Come on."

She's right, but I still bought it, haven't watched it yet, and am happy for only $9.99 + tax.
I love when women talk this kind of nonsense...The same women who own 50 purses and 25 pairs of shoes...UNUSED as compared to movies that are unwatched. Luckily my woman has no problem with me and my movies, if anything she's the one egging me to buy something like the Extended LOTR set and now can't wait to buy a 50 inch widescreen TV. I feel for you.

As for Ice Pirates...

$9.99 was great, but seeing as this is one of the last flicks I've been waiting for on DVD I'd of paid a bit more. Sweet stuff.

Watched it the other night and I have to agree with a prior posting, EXCELLENT picture and I was quite shocked at how nice it actually ended up being. One of my all time favorite 80's flicks.

"No offense but any particular reason you made him black?" - Robert Urich referring to the new robot.

"I wanted him to be perfect." - The hysterical black actor whom I don't know the name of that works on the robots in the movie.

What a great movie!
Old 02-24-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Does anyone have the VHS or any other previous release (LD, taped off of TV, etc.?)

I was watching the bar fight, and it almost seems like they edited it slightly. When the dog is barking, the guy whips his sword around, cutting his partner's arm, and you still hear the dog barking. In what I possibly remember of the "original version", he looks down at the dog, and you see his sword hand thrust in the direction of the dog, which yelps.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.